1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Cool, so now when those things start popping up elsewhere and murdering billions we know who to blame.

Neither of these things are true.

2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

If they needed plants, wouldn’t they be incapable of colonising planets without plants? That seems like a pretty big weakness. I never knew about that.

Cuchulin, KenNM and Xmaster3000 like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, looks like I was mistaken, though they're still going to need somewhere the fungus can grow.

4. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

The idea of snotlings and gretchins growing from nutrient-poor sites while proper orks grow once spores get access to nutrients makes sense to me. It is a good headcanon. The orks parasitizing plants (particularly if it is just one of their sources of energy and matter) makes as much sense as anything, fungi parasitize in real life.

KenNM and Xmaster3000 like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This is your reminder that certain types of Fungus can grow in vacuum.

Duke Long, Cuchulin and KenNM like this.
  6. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Watch your fingers Paul. Them greenskins have sharp teeth.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  7. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Tau geneticists and Paul making Gremlin is very cool. Hopefully it doesn't back fire.

And it's cool to see the nicassar be mentioned, an entire race of psykers powerful enough to propel ships and are described as "flat polar bears" sounds fascinating.

Hopefully Paul can help them come up with better policies for human psykers yeesh, and speaking of better. I wonder if he's helped in the FTL. He's already the most valued human in the Empire appearently.

Xmaster3000 and Handlewithcare like this.
  8. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

If greenskin spores are like real life fungal spores, out of thousands of them only a handful would be able to make a viable offspring and enough time in bad conditions would kill them.

But they were made by the old ones, so they are likely more robust than that. That is if the spores aren’t doing the ‘proppa Ork thing and krumpin each other at the microscopic level.

Vorian and Handlewithcare like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Counterpunched (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

14th January 2013
    06:15 GMT

I walk through the refectory of the Orange Lantern Corps on Maltus, orange light flowing through my armour and my soul. Those amongst my new comrades in arms who have… Learned to unify their souls with their rings have a distinctly different feel to them than those who merely used them as weapons. But from the lack of interest they show in me, it seems that they do not feel what I feel.

Or perhaps they do, and I am not so unique.

The feel of this world is beyond my experience, as was the soul-feel of the Controller to whom the Illustres introduced me. I never had the privilege of meeting Grandmother Rhea when she walked amongst her descendants, but that is my only point of comparison. It was as if her soul echoed all across this world and beyond.

"Over here, New Lantern."

A heavily built blue skinned and one eyed Lantern looks at me for a moment, then returns his attention to his meal. My ring whispers his name to me

Zartok.

as well as his service history. Part of the first wave of recruits, though not one of those recruited by the Illustres himself.

Disgruntlement.

Zartok doesn't bother continuing to look at me once he has… Made his offer? Issued his command? The Illlustres told me that there isn't a strict hierarchy here, but if I want to enact justice across the universe then I would be wise to pay attention to my seniors.

I imagine that some of my fellows on Minosyss would have trouble with the idea that none of them are Ascendants. For myself, I will learn more about this organisation I have bound myself to before passing judgement.

I walk over to the chair opposite Lantern Zartok and sit down.

"Thank you."

His eye remains fixed on his food, glowing faintly as he pointedly does not look at me. That seems odd.

"The Illustres suggested that I participate in your training. I believe that he wants to examine my own progress rather than aid you specifically… But I find his behaviour hard to judge."

His eye comes up.

"Why did you join the Orange Lantern Corps?"

"My homeworld was attacked by a three thousand year old cannibal warlord. I was shocked at the idea that such evil is allowed-"

His face shows his species' expression for

Irritation.

"-to persist. I had thought that… Bandits would be put down before gaining that sort of strength."

"Is that how it was on your homeworld?"

"No, but everyone from Karrakan knew that our civilisation had fallen far from its height. I had thought that others would be wiser. Better."

"The universe is rife with violence. Though I admit that mass cannibalism is unusual, I suspect that is more due to tradition and taste rather than any great moral distress. Our own Lantern Mother of Mercy routinely eats the remains of intelligent creatures."

He smiles faintly at my expression of distaste.

"Why does she eat people? Why is such a being-?"

Informational.

"Ah, I see you've learned to get information from your ring. You would be surprised how many would-be Lanterns fail to realise that is even possible."

"I…"

It is distasteful, but conveying the souls of the dead to the afterlife in exchange for the mortal remains which they no longer need is…

"That is different from attacking worlds purely to eat their people as the Citizenry and the Spider Guild are wont to do."

"Yes. It is lower risk." He ingests some sort of tuber and then lowers his utensils. "So, you want to enforce a universal code of justice. I do too, though in my case I want to do so because it will be my code."

I nod. It makes sense that someone would prefer the social rules they are accustomed to, rather than the code of another or something intellectual and abstract.

"And what is your code?"

"Whatever I decide."

I frown. "I don't unders-."

"I expected better from a god."

"I don't consider myself-."

"It's not about rules, it's about power. The orange light gives you the power to enact your desires, whatever they might be. I want to conquer and rule. Being the ruler, I will be the one making the rules. It doesn't matter to me what they are, so long as they are mine."

"You're a tyrant."

"Not at the moment. This…"

He looks away.

Discomfiture.

"Situation I am in, is because I did not check my footing before I lunged. Merely wanting something, giving yourself over completely to that goal, is not enough. Even for an Orange Lantern."

He rests his elbows on the table, hands clasped just under his chin.

"So tell me, given what you know about the orange light, how would you deal with someone like me?"

A tyrant who holds no ideal above his own need to dominate others? I'd-.

Suggestion.

An orange… Laser? It's not too surprising that there are weapons that can bypass power ring generated barriers. The railgun rounds that the Illustres showed me would destroy his constructs as well, making it possible for a new Lantern such as I to kill him. A fixed weapon, some sort of ambush-.

He's smiling unpleasantly.

His ring can tell him as much as mine can me. Perhaps more, given his status.

No. If he were a simple-minded tyrant, he would not be able to accept people having authority over him. And yet he does. Why, given his lack of a higher ideal, even basic loyalty?

Because he's checking his footing. He doesn't think that he knows enough to safely advance himself. He's learning, gaining in power, until he reaches the point where he can resume his preferred lifestyle.

Then…

"I would endeavour to convince you that it served your interests to enforce the code I prefer. Because once you have decided to do so, it will become yours, and you will care for it… Even if not for the same reason that I do."

"Yes." He nods. "Good."

He stands.

"Finish your meal, and then join me in the arena. We must pair the philosophical with the practical. I hope that you are just as adept, but I am also curious as to what god blood looks like."

He pats me on the shoulder and then leaves me to my thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm surprised but intrigued that we'll be seeing the POV of the OLC's latest recruit.

That should say species's.

I like that this shows how much Zartok has both grown so much yet changed so little. And that he can laugh at his own folly.

Unsurprising, but hopefully he'll either die before he can become a problem or he'll change his mind down the road.

Also, the threadmark says "Cuonterpunched" instead of Counterpunched.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Huh. Maybe the Greens would be a better match for him? On the other hand, Paul's Corps could use someone so dedicated to law and order, given they are naturally more inclined towards chaos than order, due to their many conflicting desires.

12. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I love this chapter so much I have trouble putting it into words. This chapter really sums up one of the main ideas of the story, with one of OL's students passing on what they learned: the best way to change the way someone acts isn't to force them to act differently, but to find a way to have them themselves *want* to act differently.

13. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Hey, if he does become a problem, Paul can always use him as a practice dummy for recruits that need to learn how the assimilation feature works.. is that something regular taught to members? The only member I can recall is that one who assimilated the Spider Guilder Yellow Lantern. Also Komand'r had that one Citadelian (Gard or something). I know Koriand'r is against it...

Hey Zoat, what are the other Orange Lanterns general thoughts on the assimilation feature?

14. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘I do to’ -> ‘I do too’

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"built"

Maybe he's trying for a power move to show he's better than you by ignoring you.

Or his species, or just himself, like to focus on food.

Either that something like that is allowed to exist, or that they consider it evil, since I'm not so sure he would consider it such.

And the Green Lanterns have a guy that eats dead members.

16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

You counterpunched then so hard they couldn't spell anymore.

17. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Shouldn't it say 2013 instead of 2012?

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, focusing on Allyn as he settles in to his new role as an Orange Lantern. It'll be interesting to see what a newcomer makes of the Orange Lanterns he meets, and how they interact with their power and each other...

Whereas most of a Maltusian's power is tied to their immortal flesh. Though they'd likely be offended if you called them gods.

Last seen here, discussing his goals with OL after being shown up in the training ring. I hope he's reconsidered those goals since.

Not surprising. He has a definite view of how things should be, and isn't happy that they aren't.

Good, keep an open mind about things. To set rigid boundaries on yourself is to fail to comprehend the very power you command.

He's used to being in charge, as a former general. Thus, everyone must wait for him to act first.

And that action explains so much about things. A teacher learns more about themself by teaching than any amount of meditation and study.

No doubt Zartok already has that information pulled up from the Ring's database, but hearing it in the Ascendant's own words can put a new perspective on those facts.

Allyn learning to use the Ring to aid him in unfamiliar social situations, I see. I bet that sort of thing has smoothed over many a potential cultural conflict amongst the Corps.

Sadly, it generally turns out that people are much the same everywhere, no matter how many other ways they differ. Some will always want more than they have and be willing to take it from those who have it.

To be fair, it's only after they've passed away, and she doesn't participate in the dying anymore..

Everybody needs to eat something. The only difference is that her 'food' used to be sophont beings.

Well, they're probably used to thinking of it as a powerful weapon, as some of the Green Lantern Corps like to boast about it being.

And those peoples find themselves castigated by less callous races. Though the Citizenry can learn to change their ways, and the Guilders can be forced to...

No, Allyn. He's being far more literal about that 'My way.'

If nothing else, it would keep people on their toes. Though I doubt he's so unpredictable that he'd reward something one day, and punish it the next.

Being a God is more than simply being the biggest, baddest mammajamma in the house, you know. A good God has duties and responsibilities that they take very seriously. Compare Zeus to Hades, for example.

And here we see Zartok being his usual Lawful Evil teammate self. :D

Though 'Tyrant' is a loaded term, in this case he definitely fills the worst aspects of it.

Yes, not being top dog burns, doesn't it?

Well, he's learnt from that mistake, I suppose.

To some degree, he's the sort of villain that some virtuous Orange Lanterns would happily smite without guilt.

Heh. The joy of having a veteran buddy to give you build advice when starting a fresh character.

Honestly, he's not that much more exalted than you are. He's got maybe a year's experience on you, barely two. OL could steamroll both of you without even tapping his more esoteric powers.

Yes... And when he thinks he can accomplish it, he'll challenge OL again, and eventually the Controllers. Whether he'll actually have progressed that far remains to be seen.

Ah, the diplomatic way. Not always successful, but certainly requires less battle.

Finished your dinner, then? Or was that just a flex of your 'superiority'?

I have the feeling Zartok may be surprised by what Allyn can do. Since not all people think the same way, Lanterns will not fight the same way. And Allyn has a few exotic abilities that can give him a distinct advantage.

Off to an interesting start with the episode's main timeline, I see. Wonder if this will be a one-off scene, or if the whole episode will be comprised of these 'below-decks' scenes amongst the Orange Lantern Corp, LEGION and the NEMO fleets. Either way, this should see some lively action as they push back against the Reach...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  19. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

I know Paul is badass, but is he that powerful? He keeps encountering stronger foes that it's hard to judge.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He only ate one. It's not like it was a habit.

21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

interest -> interests ?
    'Interests' is more commone but it works either way.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

23. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

How do you measure strength? I reckon he could be a mid-to-high tier superhero even without his rings at this point.

I think it's more he's encountering people who he doesn't have direct contact who engage in forms of combat he doesn't prefer while constrained by the political situation.

Also he's a strong individual who has started to engage warships.

24. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I'm not sure that was a flex. I think Zartok, in his own way, was taking the teaching seriously - and sounding out his student. He does want to be superior, yes - but (as we saw in his prior conversation with OL) he knows that a functionary reflects their ruler - and a student reflects their teacher.

And so he poised a question to Allyn: 'I'm what most people think of as a bad guy. How would you deal with me?' - and he probably expected, to some degree, an answer involving smiting. Heck, he's probably seen that desire in other recruits. But Allyn gave the right answer - an answer that is not the expected Green, but instead is very Orange. And thus, he feels like Allyn is worth his time.

25. Mr Zoat

A good guess! Wrong, but a very good gues nonetheless!

As evidenced by his other droogs, Zartok doesn't much care what their motive is. He just wanted to get some idea of what sort of person he's dealing with. However, he's also trying to improve himself, and knows that anyone who can use the orange light has something to teach him.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Like that Twilight Zone episode said, people are alike everywhere.

That's not always a good thing.

And he's probably not the only one that has such an attitude.

Sadly, the OLC can't be picky for recruits.

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I don’t know exactly how he compares to other Lanterns, but in general it’s important to remember that he might not be using full strength. I’m pretty sure that he could have beaten those Citizens much more handily if he was completely unconcerned about collateral damage and used stuff like a singularity projector or other WMDs.

28. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm fairly certain the Illustres is one of the most powerful individuals in the galaxy, at this point. The problem, if it is one, is that he's accostumed to fighting in a "clever" way or with tactics instead of with power. For example, he's always using a railgun construct to fire smart or specialized ammo, whereas you can easily count the few occasions where he implements the Destruction Pulse; and this might be because he doesn't like to unmake things but I would think his Enlightment would help to discern when it's appropriate.

The other part of it is that Mr Zoat may be trying to present challenges to the Illustres, not necessarily more powerful than him but esoteric in nature or in circumstances where he can't just easily swat aside the opposition. Or he can also forget the abilities of the protagonist, cause I haven't seen the thought acceleration technique in a while, for example, and with that he should be able to overwhelm most enemies that aren't a speedster.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He used acceleration as recently as his fight with Aramis.

kerleth and mastermenthe like this.
  30. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

So did OL raid a mushroom farm or did they grow their own?