1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, a look in on the Renegade? I wonder what he's been up to these last few weeks. ...Honestly, when did we last see him? Christmas time, in-universe? I take it his New Years was just a bit quieter than OL's...

And unless they end up having twins, triplets or more, that's where many leave it. Costly and tiring, of course. Consider yourself lucky indeed, Renegade.

Ah, she's more of a 'sit and watch' kind of lady, eh? At least when she's not on hooves...

Heh. Beats walking all the way to the portal room.

Ah, not who you were expecting, eh?

Huh, a bit more covered than I expected of Celestia, and yet less obviously armoured. Positively super-heroic, in fact...

I see she came prepared for trouble. Has she been listening to Luna's tales of Earth with a concealed worry, perhaps? :p

And this way is just a little less... Conspicuous than your naturally dazzling form? ;)

And you're not going to let your student show you up? Feeling a little insecure about your talents, are we?

Big Oof. I rather suspect having 'dear Teacher' just show up might just make Sunset a little paranoid.

And try not to sound like you're enjoying this so much, would you?
    I make no promises, Corpsman.

He's making a fuss, Sellie. I assume that's what you were about to say?

And I am so picturing the flat look she's giving Grayven right now. Because she's sure he'd be watching her somehow.

Well, you are a senior vassal of the Suzerain of Earth. Some enterprisingly foolish New God might decide to try his luck with you.

I can just tell she's thinking 'get to the point, Grayven...'

...Or with who, depending on timezones? What? She's a big girl, she can date whoever she wants.

Ah, committing SCIENCE! upon Atlantean thaumotology again?

...And now I can see the 'really?' face on Celestia. It involves a huffy frown and a squint. x3

Yes, I don't see her taking that sort of encounter well, especially if surprised.

And you're not the boss of him. If anything, you two are peers.

Not hiding an unannounced visit is a very different thing to calling ahead and giving people a head's-up...

Well, how would you handle a casual, friendly visit to another monarch in your world? Or do you lack any protocol for that?

Ah, still stuck in the 'used to being in charge of everything' mode, are we, Sellie?

:confused: ...What.

...Because of course miss 'Socially inept' would totally grab the wrong end of the pokey stick like that.

Hey, they're hanging out, Sunset's suffering for her mistake. Let it slide.

...Oh, boy. Wait until you see human cinema.

That's an interesting way to look at it, at least.

:rolleyes: "Honestly, you should have been expecting that. Everyone mentioned it."
    :oops: "I'll thank you to keep silent, sirrah... Ow."

Really, you'd think she'd have known about that. :sneaky: Maybe prepare a little 'gentle falling' spell ahead of time or something. Still, this should be an amusing counterpoint to affairs in the Paragon timeline this episode. Anytime things get a little dull during the silent entry, cut to Celestia tripping over her own feet. :D Now, how will the children react to meting their future aunt...

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    "No, that's the beautiful part. When a century rolls around, the Sunsets simply age to death."

3. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

I dunno why but I feel Renegade is more.... mature? More savy? Gets the normal mindset of people more? Maybe it's having the children around that did it?

4. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Well, one could say that Sunsets are beautiful because they are fleeting and ephemeral.

Cuchulin, Ardy, kerleth and 2 others like this.
  5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Of course he did, it is hilarious.

Caerwen and Xmaster3000 like this.
  6. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Damn... It's only an option, not a new renegade chapter... Oh well, that would've been asking for too much.

You know this is making me surprisingly invested in MLP even though I only watched like... 1 movie about the world turning into a desert? or something for one of my little sisters parties...

I really feel like we've been spoiled with this chapter.

Windona and Xmaster3000 like this.
  7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Plz tell me he is recording that.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"sledding"

Also the fact that he's been mind-whammied to have positive character traits more than once.

9. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘affairs of state’?
    ’in ways that’ or ‘in the way that species think’?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I mean, can you blame her.

Chojin Patriarch and Xmaster3000 like this.
  11. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Ah a short bit of the character I actually enjoy the most.

.... Can I petition again that he be the main character and we put Paul on a bus?

Doc Sithicus, Jaron and TodaBruh like this.
  12. TodaBruh

I for one support this.

Doc Sithicus, Enochi and Jaron like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

No, they're going to go to a cricket match and shout at the batsman. [color=transparent/I've always called it 'sledging', because you're travelling on a sledge.[/color]
    Thank you, corrected.

14. Threadmarks: Counterpunched (Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

14th January 2013
    13:14 GMT -1

So. That's a… Thing.

"Lady Sunset? Is something wrong?"

Aelia looks kinda worried. Which means that I let how I felt show on my face… Darn it. Honestly, it's a bit weird that she invited me to see her family's library like this. I know that Grayven and her granddad are allies, but even though she's been living in Doom Mountain for a year I haven't really had all that much to do with her. Unlike most humans, I had an okay understanding of magic so she isn't able to tell me anything I don't already know.

Or so I thought.

Turns out that her family had a whole host of things they don't exactly put on public display.

"Lady Sunset?"

"Oh, no, sweetie." I crouch down slightly so that I'm more at her level. "I just… Grayven was telling me that we've got a… Guest, in the Mountain."

She nods. "Who is it?"

"It's…"

I stand back up, looking over to a warded wall hanging. I think it's a summoning circle you can just roll up and put away once you're done. The spells outside of the circle would actually deal with the residue. I've designed something better, of course, but this looks like they've had it for a long time.

"Is it Princess Celestia?"

I twitch.

"Is that bad? I thought you were visiting her?"

"It…" No, no, it's not… Bad-bad? She's gotten a lot bet-. A lot less-.

Oh, who am I kidding? She's gotten better at not saying things that she's learned will set me off. We hold conversations on a level of 'this grass is dry' / 'rain is scheduled this evening'.

"Lady Sunset, I don’t understand."

"Okay, ah…"

Oh, come on Sunset, you're worrying a little girl.

I walk over to one of the chairs and pull it out. Then I sit down and pat my lap, smiling in the most reassuring way I can manage. Aelia considers for a moment, then she walks over and I lift her up before wrapping my arms around her. And I'm a little surprised how easy that was. She's not heavy, but she's not exactly light either. Just another fringe benefit of being a transformed alicorn, I guess.

"Okay, what do you know about Celestia?"

"She was your foster-mom?"

Oh.

Oh, that's a whole lot of baggage I don't want to-.

And… Re-pressed.

"She was my teacher. But… She didn't want to teach me the things I wanted to learn. And she got annoyed with me when I said that I wanted to learn different things, and I got annoyed that she didn't teach me those things, so I went to study with Grayven instead."

"But I don't understand. She's your princess."

"Nope! She was my princess. I'm an American now."

And for some reason the fact that I'm a mare means that I didn't have to agree to getting conscripted to do it. Grayven was against it, but it… It makes a lot of things easier, and I don't ever want to go back to live in Equestria.

Is it pathetic that I want her to offer to make me a princess, just so I can tell her-?

Yeah, it is.

"But she was… Then?"

"Just because someone's royalty, that doesn't mean that they know everything. Even if they think they do."

"Grandfather says that you shouldn't say things like that out loud."

"You shouldn't say things like that out loud if you have to work with them, or if you want something from them. Or if you might want to work with them or get something from them in the future. Since I don’t want anything from Celestia and I sure don't want to work with her… Being honest about how I feel works for me. And… Sometimes, being honest is actually better. I bet your granddad has to be honest with Queen Clea about things sometimes, doesn't he?"

"He said…" She gets all frowny as she tries to remember. "'Only…' 'Only if no alternative presents itself'. And then he laughed, and mother and father joined in. I didn't understand."

"I think he means that you have to be careful how you say things to powerful people, but sometimes you really have to be direct. Did your school ever do a fire drill?"

"Where there was a bell ringing and everyone had to go outside?"

"Right. If there was a fire, you'd have to make sure the Queen got out right away, even if she was doing something really important. But otherwise… You still need to get them to understand you, but without making them angry."

"Did you make Princess Celestia angry?"

"Ah… I… A little bit."

What? Twilight's the one who gets her power from honesty.

"Did you say something you shouldn't have said?"

"Oh, yeah. Definitely."

"What was it?"

"Oh, I kept nagging her about teaching me something… She said she didn't know, when she obviously did. But if she was lying about it then I should have realised that she really didn't want to teach me, for… Whatever reason. I should have stopped asking her about it after the second time she refused, and asked about something else."

And carried on researching it myself while she was relieved that she wouldn't have to keep lying to my face. Not exactly a healthy learning environment, and that's why I don't lie like that to my students. I can't believe that she didn't even tell Twilight what Starswirl's Unfinished Spell would do before she tried casting it! Okay, maybe the lecture series is overkill, but Twilight can have a bit of a one track mind sometimes and I want to make sure that it actually gets through.

"So did you say sorry?"

"No. And I never will, because I'm not and she doesn't rule me. She can have all the toady cultists she wants back in Equestria. I refuse to lie or dissemble to her ever again."

"Disumble?"

"No, honey. 'Dissemble'. It means 'disguise how you really feel'. No, the only way I'm going to fix my relationship with Celestia is through honesty. And if she can't do that, then I'll-. I just won't talk to her anymore."

Huh.

"And actually? I can go talk to her about that once we're done here. I'm going to make it real clear how I feel about being lied to, and she can either promise never to do that again and explain why she lied to me… Or I'll ward the portal against her."

"Um. My parents and grandfather say that ultimatums don't usually help diplomatic relations. They just make people more confrontational."

I smile down at her.

"If there's one thing Celestia and I agree on, it's that I'm great at being confrontational."

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    boo600, Turalon94, explbean and 140 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Is it that bad"

Ohh, that's an understatement.

16. KaiKolo

KaiKolo Know what you're doing yet?

I like seeing Grayven-Paul having to be the reasonable one and attemping to be a mediator but also maintaining his own renegade-ness.

17. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Aelia’s grandfather is the majordomo of Queen Clea, right? Sea dwellers.

18. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

havent kept up with renegade. is aelia from dc?

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh. :confused: A Sunset Shimmer- POV Chapter? I suppose it fits in with the Paragon side's chapters. Still a remarkable thing to encounter. I wonder what sort of things we'll see her think about that she wouldn't tell people...

...And I am totally blanking on who that grandfather is, or his name. The current prime minister of Venturia, yes? Who refused to give up his regency to the 'rightful' heir and seceded from the Atlantean confederation in Paragon timeline after Clea died? :oops: ...How far off am I?

Well, of course. Would you want something like your great-great-grandmother's erotic poetry or an ancestor's Succubus-summoning circle on display? :rolleyes: Never mind the actually dangerous things.

Yes, old Sunbutt really put her hoof in the mess this time, didn't she?

It's only natural that such things would have been improved on with time, after all. I bet hers literally draws itself.

Yep, lots of issues still there. Enough that she could open a news-stand with them. :p

Don't force yourself to compliment her, honey. You of all people deserve that honesty.

...At least Sunbutt can recognise the signs of her emotional minefield now?

Now what kind of little pony are you? :p

Yay, super-strength in human form without using Danner Formula. Wonder if there's any pegasus-related benefits too?

And I can just picture her expression. :V

...I can easily picture her having memory-repressing spells for just that purpose.

Oh, boy, how to explain this to a... Five-year-old?

Just visit every once in a while to wave your alicorn flank in Celestia's face, huh?

Though I suspect some of the things you would have said would be anatomically challenging, if not impossible.

Not to their face, no. Not unless you really want to annoy them.

I mean, she could find that sort of honesty refreshing... Sometimes.

Good advice to live by, honestly. You just have to learn when which option is best...

And given some of the fire drill-related stories I've read, some people might not take it well, even then.

Though, to be fair, Sunbutt probably felt bad about it after their heads had cooled... But by then, Sunset was on Earth...

A great many things, I suspect, and at great volume.

...Let's try to keep it G-rated, shall we, Sunset?

Alas, hind-sight is often far more clear than in the heat of the moment.

...Sadly, I rather suspect she's missing the point of them... ;) And to be fair, it was the 'Unfinished Spell' for a reason.

...Aelia's totally picturing a magic winged unicorn in the middle of a bunch of giant toads now, isn't she? x3

Even if that means being brutally, unrelentingly honest, she'll do it.

...And if you're lucky, you can get to see her falling about as she tries to learn to walk on two legs instead of four. :sneaky:

Out of the mouths of babes, eh?

Oh, Celestia has no idea of what's going to be coming her way today, does she? :D If nothing else, perhaps this will be a chance for Sunset to finally say some things she's left unsaid thus far. Hopefully the Renegade has the sense to stand back, keep his head down and be ready to put a construct barrier (or a dozen) between them if it looks like things are going to come to blows... :oops:

20. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know, I've never seen MLP, and only read maybe three stories in which they featured. But somehow, I've become very invested in Sunset's storyline here. Very good storytelling!

21. Mr Zoat

No, that's correct.
    No, Venturia.

22. TodaBruh

She's good woth kids too? Surprising.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

to back -> to go back

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You're on the nose.

Magic can solve a lot of things.

Hey, seeing as the world has magic it's fully possible that some cults actually alter their members so that they can only regain their forms if they reach a certain level of skill.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

moralrelativity likes this.
  26. batrax

batrax Making the rounds.

I... stopped reading the renegade option some time ago, at the time the first portal to the pony world popped up, because I wasn't familiar with that fictional universe. I also thought I'd go back to catch up from after the ungulate diversion at some point, especially if the renegade stuff ever intersected with the paragon stuff.

This plan didn't seem to work too well...

moralrelativity and Mr Zoat like this.
  27. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

I usually avoid fanfic of places in not familiar with too. But there are some stories that do a great job of incorporating the plot in interesting ways, even when you don't know the source material. And this is one of those stories.

Just the nature of fanfic that for every one like this, there are 10 others who just march their OC through every universe they know just to write a quick reaction scene, then forget about them.

28. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

google is giving me nothing. is venturia a show?

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's a kingdom in Atlantis that's been isolationist since WWII.

They're independent in the paragon timeline.

30. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Fridge realization. How are the Great Ten handling the Justified Apocalypse in the main timeline?