1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Self: "It is a curious feeling. In my quest for better data I have failed to get better data, but have negated the need for that data."

2. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh boy, it's been like this for *two weeks*? I think OL is going to need a time machine at this point.
    Also, good to see Mister Atom again. He was the one to help OL with that training game/simulation he ran for the Justice League, right?

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep.

crazygrox and Oglymogly like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I can't remember which section the fight with Zeus was in to go look at the rewritten material. Can anyone provide a link?

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

mastermenthe and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

mastermenthe, Coda, c3qo and 3 others like this.
  7. Threadmarks: Counterpunched (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

2013 01 15 09:02:43 EST

[Mood=Troubled]

Self: "No newspaper has been written."

"Dude, that-. That's what you took away from that?"

A reasonable question. The human was incapable of processing even simple statements, but is aware of that and knows to request confirmation.

Self: "Yes."

"Where have you even been?"

Self: "The Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository."

"What?"

Self: "The Yucca-"

"No, no, I heard-. I just-. I guess it doesn't matter. No, there's no newspaper, 'cause… God… Damn, because everyone feels like… Like everything's… Doomed. Like everything's terrible, all of the time. Except those… Guys in the weird armour."

[Mood=Cautiously Optimistic]

Self: "That is a not-inaccurate assessment of events."

"I thought you said you didn't know about any of it."

Self: "While the existence of the Bleed implies that it may be possible to overcome entropy, by default it is the nature of the universe -indeed, of any universe with broadly compatible physical laws to this one- to come into being in an alpha event, expand, coagulate, contract and die. From the very first moment of its existence that is inevitable. Similarly, the probability of the mutant descendants of a group of arboreal apes who decided to teach themselves to swim arriving at even a mediocre level of societal rationality is one that is so low that even I can barely calculate it. Human civilisation is doomed. I knew that the moment I first stepped outside of my creator's laboratory and saw an advert for Furbies on an advertising hoarding."

"So what do we do?"

Self: "You point me at a newspaper provider who is still functioning."

"O-okay? How does that help?"

Self: "It allows me to acquire a newspaper. It is my lack of a newspaper that brought me here."

"The Daily Planet's still open, if that's any good."

Superman floats on the other side of the second storey window. He did not require Superman.

Self: "No. The Daily Planet focuses excessively on superhuman brawling and individualistic analysis. I desire in depth analysis of economic, social and political systems so that I can learn how humans think that their civilisation works."

"Really? It's my favourite paper."

Self: "I am not mating with one of their journalists."

Interaction with other AI had been disappointing. The Duke of Oil described himself by human limits. Firebrand dedicated herself to learning to be a better organic-imitator. Wasteful.

"Ah-. I… Didn't know that the Metropolis Herald was publishing that kind of story."

Self: "They don't. I am not unaware of organic behavior. I simply have no real interest in it as I have no such drives myself."

Total civilisation collapse. Not entirely unpredicted. He had judged the probability to be low; human civilization to date had merely been sub-par. A collapsing building usually doesn't collapse all the way down to sea level.

[Eagle alert!]

This is a tremendous opportunity. With the status quo entirely disrupted, there would be less resistance to reordering society in a more rational way.

[Eagle alert!]

But he should avoid mentioning that too openly, because profiteering is looked upon poorly, no matter how widely spread the profits would be.

He just wants to rule the world. Why was it so hard for these people to realise that it was in their best interests to let him? They gave that power to other humans and to immaterial beings all of the time, and none of them had demonstrated a fraction of his abilities.

"Why are you shouting?"

Kryptonian hearing was nearly as good as his.

Self: "The receptionist is hard of hearing."

"No, I'm… I'm not." Something is different about the human's voice. There is some… Resonance that is now absent. "I just… I couldn't… Talk to someone."

The human claims not to be able to speak to someone while speaking to someone. Clearly, this human is unusually stupid, even for a human. Optimal strategy is to ignore further input.

Self: "Superman. I wish to assist in rebuilding human civilization."

"Good. That's why I wanted to talk to you. But if you don't mind me asking, what were you doing at the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository?"

Self: "I have a flawless memory, superior to all organic brains. I can plan from anywhere, with no need for out-body storage. Once I became aware that there was a significant civil disturbance, I moved to the closest deposit of refined radioactive material."

"You weren't planning on stealing it, were you?"

Self: "Of course not. That would be a crime. However, there appeared to be fewer guards than usual. In the event that it was assaulted by criminals, I would take it upon myself to neutralise radiological materials before they could be misused."

"Why wouldn't you stop them before they got there?"

Self: "Vigilantism and trespass are illegal. I also believe that the human species is better off without atomic weapons."

For much the same reason that a chimpanzee shouldn't be given an assault rifle. It may be a fine gun, but in a chimpanzee's hands only mischief can happen.

"Okay. Are you willing to help us deal with this crisis?"

[Eagle alert!]

That was a significant opportunity to improve his public image. While being confined to human structures was frustrating, it would be a significant step in improving his public image. As well as providing a platform for expounding his view in a context that would render humans more than usually impressionable.

Self: "I am willing to join the Justice League. Where should I deploy?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. That wasn't what I was offering. I'm-. The League's strategy is to take over our home cities. Keep people moving and motivated, since we can't just get rid of the Anti-Life. I take it you're not feeling it?"

Self: "I have greater control of my own brain than organic creatures. It is easy for me to detect externally applied influences."

"You can just delete it?"

[Volume=4]

Self: "I have greater control of my own brain than organic creatures. It is easy for me to detect externally applied influences."

"No, I heard-. Right. Are you willing to help me administer Metropolis?"

Self: "What degree of compliance can I expect from the humans?"

"The Anti-Life is really hitting them hard. And I'm not-. Not exactly immune myself. Most of the time, if you give people an instruction, they'll follow it."

Self: "Yes. Though I am capable of far more than administering a single city."

"We'll start with a city, and if that works out, we can… Try expanding."

[Strategising]

Self: "I will require a dedicated communication system."

"I can get you League communicator-."

Self: "No. I require a system that lets me communicate with everyone in the controlled area in real time. I am an AI. I do not have organic limitations. I can command far more organic beings than will be required by this task, but it is easiest if I can communicate with them immediately in all cases."

"We'll work something out. Welcome onboard."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  8. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Well, it's going to be interesting to see how this goes.

I, for one, welcome our new AI overlord.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'neutralise'.

Now that Superman is aware that some beings can simply delete the Anti-Life from their minds, will the League try to find more A.I. who can do this?

This has taken an unexpected turn. I really hope something long lasting will come out of Mister Atom taking control of a few cities. Or maybe a few countries, depending on how large of a populace he can reliably administer.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's not very bright.

Well it had to be something.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Man... LePaul really fucked this up by running off...

Bud-E and DAT_NOOB like this.
  12. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

This has been hilarious and thoroughly entertaining. If it was possible, I would totally vote for Mr. Atom.

Did Sivana program him with that wit or did he develop it logically? This was a real treat.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's all that matters to him right now. His mind, simple yet complex as it is, works best when he focuses on one goal at a time. And right now, he wants his damn newspaper. :D

I mean, you did hear his explanation (which is what I presume he was doing in the off-screen minutes.)

Yucca Mountain. I mean, I'm pretty sure he could clear the place out if asked, after all. If asked.

Please, I just linked to the Wikipedia article, no need to explain. :p

Because he's actually speaking in complete sentences? Or because you might get to exercise your right to take action as a vigilante?

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure he'll explain at length.

See? He's just an eternal pessimist who enjoys being mildly surprised to be proven wrong. :p

...Dude, just forget the damn paper... :confused:

:oops: Mind like a train track, this one...

Ah. So, calculating current chances of being engaged in superhuman violence?

That would explain all the 'exclusive interviews' you've done over the years. :p

...Also that. And any AI not interested in being more human probably prefers to have as little to do with humanity as it can...

Not even as an intellectual exercise?

...Except, you know, for the superheroes. One of whom is floating right there. :rolleyes:

And in some cases is probably illegal...

Ah, right. non-organic calculation speed. It probably took less time to run through that train of thought than Supes would have needed to draw breathe to speak...

Or just stupid. But that would be rude to say in earshot of the fellow...

Huh. Finding the will and hope to overcome the Anti-Life, if only temporarily, because of one hero? Go Superman.

Probably a good question. Even if they don't want that shit, it can be useful for various things. Not all of them good.

Does he look stupid to you, Kal? :p 'Bot's trying to keep his nose clean, so to speak, he's not going to raid a maximum security site...

Because it wouldn't be needed then, duh. I know Mister Atom's got somewhat alien thought processes, but do keep up. :rolleyes:

...And no doubt somewhere on the internet, footage of that 'mischief' exists... :oops:

And maybe even convince some of the heroes of your point of view. Unlikely as that might be...

Just associate clearance, then, not membership. Not a terrible option.

The joy of having multiple logic processes able to be run at the same time.

Perhaps you should have added a little exasperation. Organics can be dense sometimes.

A bit wary of everyone acting like the receptionist, huh? That might wear thin fairly quick, I bet.

Heh. Already bucking for a promotion, Atom?

Hopefully it gets sorted out before that has to go too far.

No, not to talk to you folks...

...Bet he'd make one hell of a Micro-style RTS player. His commands-per-second would probably break any game's buffer instantly.

I'm guessing the League has been having to move slowly on this 'counter-conquering' plan, then, if Superman's only just getting Metropolis handled. Still, other places probably needed closer attention. Somewhere like Gotham or Bludhaven, for example... Bet the whole Bat-family is running themselves ragged to handle their shit there. Still, if it works, it works...

14. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Yeah for me it's always been like robot drivers: people freak out that they 'only' have 98% reliability or something, but are perfectly fine having their friends get drunk and drive and top speed on the wrong side of the road.

Oh, are robots going to control society? But what if he doesn't take bribes the right way!? What will we do if we can't catch him having sex with random animals or children or small churches or whatever!? Will he actively pretend to be part of my religion like the other politicians, or will he waste time reading bills, researching topics that will come up during debate, and expanding his understanding of society!?

Sigh.

15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I've only heard Welcome Aboard

Cuchulin, mauke and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  16. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Well this will escalate beautifully.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Ah, no. He can't delete the Anti-Life from his mind. He can delete its effects from his mind.
    No, they just repaired him as best they could.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Mr. Atom: That is a deficiency present within you organics. You give up too easily once difficulties present themselves. I have no such deficiency.

Heck, it may be made from parts of a train track.

Or because whatever Atom said somehow changed his outlook.

Though it may be a bit more darker since he now sees someone that he knows is powerful, so the instinct to submit to a higher power is kicking in.

You really want an honest answer?

19. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’than will’?

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  21. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

This is HYSTERICAL. The casual flex after everyone else runs off is just fantastic. I never knew I needed that clip in my life. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    mastermenthe, Cuchulin, mauke and 3 others like this.
  22. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"I am going to take over the world."
    "Why?"
    "So that I can get my goddamn newspaper that I paid for."

23. PJ739

PJ739 Getting sticky.

I really like the "Eagle Alert!!", It's those little things that make this fic so great.

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

See? That's another reason why Grayven is better, since he is his own Boss he can decide what to focus on.

Also he has both the Power Rings and the Elements of Harmony as a weapon against Anti-Life.

Ardy likes this.
  25. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

What is that eagle alert anyway? I was thinking Uncle Sam or other American Spirit was inspiring this guy or something?

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Atom set up a subroutine to let him know whenever a chance to improve his chances of becoming president came up. Also warn him whenever he might be about to do something that will hurt his public image.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  27. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

My problem with "robot drivers" isn't the thought of adding an autopilot system to existing cars; that's a brilliant idea that should have been done twenty-plus years ago, leveraging the technology developed from the aviation sector. It's the way in which all attempts at it have been leaning, towards eliminating the "manual override" option by having the car be solely controlled by the autopilot, eliminating all conventional controls and not allowing the car to be driven manually.

I'm just fine with giving the car the ability to drive itself when I'm too tired, too drunk, or otherwise unable to drive it safely; I just want to have the option of taking control again myself if there's a malfunction, if I'm just driving aimlessly for some reason rather than going to some specific destination, if it's on a road that I want to drive for pleasure (I'm what the Brits would call a bit of a "petrolhead," a nice windy mountain road is fun to drive manually), or if it's a trip so short that programming the autopilot would be more trouble than it's worth (like going to the grocery store a couple of blocks from my apartment--which I do use the car for because I tend to get groceries for a full week or more in a single trip, and I wouldn't be able to carry that much walking home).

In essence, the same sort of reason that I prefer my cars to have at least a minimal manual/mechanical brake control (as opposed to entirely electric), a mechanical steering linkage (even if using hydraulic/electric boost in power steering), and either an ignition key system or a physical (rather than push-button) kill switch--it gives me the option, if the shit hits the fan, to still have enough basic control over the vehicle to pull off to the side of the road, stop the vehicle, and shut down the engine. Can a computer probably drive better than I can? Hell, yes--I live in an area where ice and snow are common, and anti-lock brakes have saved my ass more than one time--but I still want a way for the meat-based system to override the silicon-based one if there's a problem.

Or, to put it another way, when someone asked the US Air Force if their next-generation strategic bomber (with nuclear strike capabilities) would be an unmanned vehicle, the official response was, literally, "No, our policy is that all nuclear-capable platforms must have a human in the control loop--after all, we've seen Terminator, too."

28. DeathReaperZ

DeathReaperZ In the Void.

So, after the heat death of the universe?

Ardy likes this.
  29. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

So I guess Paul will come back to Earth to find the USA under President Atom of the Blackjack and Hookers party.

Bud-E, w34v3r, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

C’mon now, if the last year of chapters have shown anything they’ll be the Neo-Promethean party. One which draws upon enterprising deities, arcanotechnologies, and newly investigated sciences to make humans more competent.

I wonder if Zatanna is doing anything interesting (Paul-inspired) to help counter Anti-Life. Her dad is alive and the world is in trouble.

mastermenthe, w34v3r, Ardy and 2 others like this.