1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

A desire for something to do. It was this or make an Ork army using boar models.
    I have all sorts of thoughts on things I could write. I have no idea if I'll actually do any of them.
    1-2 decades.
    I think that other people are better placed to judge that than me.

2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

This was a nice little tour through the eyes of the team's Dumb Muscle.

3. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

by

us

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Grood. About time we saw the third member of Zartok's power trio. And his estimate of the quality of replicated food is probably accurate. No matter how good Maltusian technology is, there's always something to be said for natural products instead of 3d-printed molecules...

Heh. Tastes great, less filling. At least they can get that part right.

I see Zartok is still planning his little heist.

I'll bet that was a Hush Tube the assassin used. One probably kept in Grayven's hands, with said assassin operating from his ships rather than the Citizenry or the Karrakanians.

A very primal viewpoint old Grood has, isn't it?

...Well put. Drusa seems very much the type to only act when success is guaranteed, doesn't she?

Another layer of control Grayven applied, then. One more leash he could use against the Citizenry if they ever turned.

But a sensible one. This way, Grayven can keep track of the Citizenry. And you do not want them running loose...

As stupid as it is.

Usually those who put up the strongest fight, I bet.

Talk about a dinner date. :V

And doesn't that sound unpleasant. I doubt they go to the effort of having every member interested in breeding do it the old-fashioned way...

Interesting detail. And entirely appropriate for a predator. I'm sure the last thing anyone else wants is Grood with a toothache.

In other words, Grood only uses his Ring for the most essential tasks, or things he can't do for himself. How... Utilitarian of him.

...Like a boarding tube? Interesting idea.

Not a large passage, then. And the effect that allows the ship to stay concealed probably only extends so far from the hull...

...That's a 'no', then.

Oh? Does the rookie have an idea?

Expect to find it very draining on Ring charge... Unless magitech comes a lot easier for him due to his semi-divine nature...

Either way, he'll find out for sure...

Or how long they'll stay that way? After all, I doubt the life-support systems are running at full-functionality right now.

Lots of maybes there. This plan isn't ready for primetime yet, I think.

And now you're adding all manner of difficulty multipliers. Do you like the challenge or something?

If he can manage it at all.

At least he's willing to change plans as needed. That's good, he won't get obsessed with just one idea.

I have no doubt he's got that part covered, certainly...

And soon you'll probably have some nice, fresh, real bones to gnaw...

It's worth noting that, while he doesn't seem to care much about the details, Grood was following the planning. He's not an idiot. He just has very simple desires, and knows how best to fulfil them. It makes me wonder how that translates to Ring skills, but I'm guessing he doesn't use it much. And we are getting to see a workable plan take shape, too. :p One that isn't just 'smash, grab and run'... I'm liking this.

5. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I looked into it, and it may have been a fandom theory thing.

Apparently Sunset and Starlight meet in 'Mirror magic' special, so you'd expect it to have been mentioned if it were the case.

moralrelativity likes this.
  6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Anyone elee feel the urge to pet Grood and scratch his belly?

7. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Yes. Such as "these natural products are only distinguishable by the placebo effect." That is something one might say.

Appeal to Nature is a fallacy which bugs me.
    Not that I know the ring-made one is actually equal, Grood thinking it's not might affect the manufacturing process itself. In which case, it's more, sabotaged by nocebo.

kerleth, Vorian, m_d and 8 others like this.
  8. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I think ring generated blood lacked magic. So there is some noticeable difference. But outside of highly magical environment, it shouldn’t matter that much, yes.

9. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

By

Us.

Thanks for the update!

moralrelativity likes this.
  10. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

You know Grood is a fantastic employee.

He knows enough to stay out of other people's lanes, seeks clarification for his role in upcoming projects early, and spends his time between assignments on preparation and maintenance.

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, and they got on alright. But we're not actually at that point in time yet, and the Mirror is in Canterlot rather than Twilight's castle.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle Starlight and Twilight murdering the universe six times. There's a fanfiction I'm reading where Spike realises that their original timeline is gone, and the best they could do is recreate something similar enough that they couldn't notice the difference. And he realised that in a timeline that was objectively better than theirs.

12. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Or he might actually get something via some form of blood or spirit magic from eating actual bones that fabricated bones lack the mystical potency of, as they didn't ever have the strength of a real living creature behind them. Or maybe he can taste the DNA and analyze it and improve himself with any novel mutations the prey possessed, but when fabricating things by ring he can only make what he already had and so gains less from it. This isn't real life. Appeal to Nature isn't a fallacy here, it's a person you can ask boons from like Captain Planet. Or who might tell you to shut up and strip away your connection to the Green because you're too annoying.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Add a " at the end.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Picard and his brother agree.

Yeah, more technological methods may havevto be used due them being from multiple species.

He's apparently on Zartok's level when it comes to ring skill, but tends to lose to him due to Zartok being more tactical.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  16. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

"If if if". These OLs might not be superheroes but they most certainly are getting to the high risk/high reward part. Now to make sure they don't blow anything up...

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  17. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I’m imagining Grood as a Larfleeze lookalike. If he was actually a member of the same species someone would have said so. Considering how many species look like humans, surely a few look like Larfleeze. Some do the less glamorous Ben 10 aliens could work as well. Anyway, I believe Grood was referenced briefly as an experimental ring-user. Akin to the “lantern kamikaze” attempts.

Have we seen the whole team now, Mr Zoat? That Thanagarian isn’t part of the team, then (unless my reading comprehension is poor).

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Only 4 Lanterns were assigned to this mission: Zartok, Drusa, Grood, and Allyn.

Ardy, Xmaster3000 and NightmareWarden like this.
  19. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Wait, do the Atlanteans (merfolk? What ever the species name is) actually have fire drills? Aren’t there hydromancers within a stone’s throw in every city? And their classes are likely held underwater if they have grafted students?

Otto von Saurion and Xmaster3000 like this.
  20. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

From what I understand, Mr Zoat has Borrowed these 3 particular lanterns (minus the godling) from an episode of the Green Lantern Animated Cartoon.

Hal and Kilowog meet them on a mysterious planet, and it turns out they are prisoners for their crimes against fellow beings. The Planet turns out to be Mogo, pre him getting a ring in that universe.

A Later Episode has the Red Lanterns Recruiting from them for the war against the Guardians.

...Now long after Mr Zoat started this fic, the Young Justice Cartoon's later season did start to include characters and events from the Green Lantern one, (despite the massive art style difference). So we can somewhat infer that the universe of YJ does have canon versions of the trio.

Zartok
    Drusa
    Grood

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

From what I remember he was stated to be some experiment in uplifting an animal and Dox wished to see how a more primal being would do with wielding a ring.

Yeah, like Razer and Aya.

Someguy Somewhere and Cuchulin like this.
  22. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

It was Sisko and his dad who had the replicator-vs-restaruant thing going on.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Grood's not an uplifted animal. I think it was more along the lines of getting a simple mind and seeing how well it can adapt to the orange light.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though Picard and his brother had a somewhat similar conversation about wine.

Checked it out and you were right.

I guess I remembered the word "experiment' and given how he thinks and acts I thought he was uplifted.

Vorian, Cuchulin, BR549 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Aelia was attending a school on the surface. Her family thought that it would be advantageous as Venturia was starting to do significant trade with the surface.

Ardy, NightmareWarden, Jaron and 3 others like this.
  26. Threadmarks: Counterpunched (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

18th January 2013
    22:12 GMT

I hold my sword in my right hand, its construct-twin glowing faintly in my left. It's not the same, the way I feel them both.

Lantern Drusa looks at it for a moment, then moves her eyes up to my face.

"Can you do it?"

Can I? I was taught the very basics of how to repair this technology, but I never needed to know enough detail to build complex devices. Or… Basic devices. I could maintain my sword myself, but even as much as I used it, I don't think I could have made a replacement if I lost it.

"Perhaps…"

With our current direction, this… It might all become lost technology.

"I'm told it helps if-."

"I consider each part of my desires, and how they relate to each step of what we are doing. The problem is that… The Illustres has a soul made of orange light. When I was close to him, I could… Not.. feel-. 'Feel' is the wrong word, but… I was aware of it. How he is not.. entirely… Flesh."

"I thought you were the same."

"Yes, but I'm not made of the orange light. My connection to it is no greater than yours. Less, probably."

"It's not complicated." She sits down opposite me. "Why are you fighting the Reach?"

"Because they're evil."

She reaches out with her right hand, moves it past my construct blade and taps my ring.

"Is that why you want them destroyed? Really? You can't lie to your ring."

"What more can I say? Leaders should act as leaders, guiding their people into a greater future. Subverting the will of everyone who is not part of their civilisation, exterminating them once they are finished toying with them, that is an indication of an evil nature. This is the purest sort of war I can imagine, and I will not be found wanting."

And now my construct is glowing brighter, but I hardly see how that helps.

"How does being a god work?"

"I don't believe that I'm a god. Have you spoken to this ship's wizards?"

"Briefly."

"They understand far more about the way magic works than I do."

"Do you need to understand?"

"Only if I want to do anything creative."

She considers for a moment. "Explain it to me."

"I can instinctively use the power of my soul in certain ways to enhance myself. It's.. instinctual. And from what I have been told, it is something that people from thaumically active worlds do as well. The mechanical elements are a little different, but… But it is the same thing. New God technology makes it easier to extend this into objects."

"And people?"

"No, people… People have their own souls. Connecting to them-. If they are willing, is far easier than connecting to soulless technology."

"We all have orange light in our soul."

"But the orange light itself isn't my soul. I'm just borrowing a tiny part of the collective desires of all things."

"Alright. I-."

"How do you do it?"

"How do you mean?"

"Zartok wants to fight and conquer, Grood wants to eat and mate, the Illustres wants to see his grand plan enacted across the universe. What motivates… You?"

She looks uncertain. I suppose that having a near-stranger ask something so personal might be… It might be too intimate a thing. But she asked me, and it is relevant to our duties.

"Getting through the day. I don’t have any kind of grand design. I don’t have the problem with self-control that some Lanterns do."

"You don't..? Have one? No.. desires, no dreams?"

"The place I grew up wasn't the place for that sort of thing. The only things I ever hoped for was enough food to get through the day, and better tools so I could make that true for tomorrow as well. Now, I have the best tool in the universe, and my next meal is coming from the canteen."

Oh, that… Is sad-.

My construct evaporates, and my shoulders sag in disappointment.

"Do that in combat and you'll die."

"I know. I just… I feel for you."

She looks at me awkwardly, as if she doesn't understand-. No, why would she?

"Feel..? What?"

"Between the gods' arrogance and Sparta's madness, my people-. Our society, has been unstable. It isn't possible to build… Anything solid, anything lasting, under those conditions. Even when I believed in Sparta, raising our weapons against our fellows-. Doing the very thing that doomed our homeworld, I… Hated it. We are fixing it under Athyns, creating an honest and unified culture. But from the sound of it, you have never known that."

"I survived."

"That isn't enough."

She pulls back slightly. "It's enough for surviving."

"Yes, but there's-."

"I know." She's irritated, I shouldn't have pushed-. "I'm surrounded by luxury and I can't understand it. I can't relate to it. It limits my construct output."

"I was.. really more worried about your.. life. If your.. soul has curled up in a shell… I'd like to help."

"Missing females of your own species already?"

"No?"

She stares into my eyes for several moments.

"Al.. right? Make a sword, and we'll see."

"Do you have any advice?"

"You have orange light in your soul. More than I do. Try calling on that, and just that."

Justice and righteousness are about more than personal desire. But I cannot deny that I would be far happier in myself if I lived in a just universe than I am living in this one.
    Ascendant Godhead
    The sword scintillates back into being, and now I can feel it, feel the construct, just as I feel the blade.

"Has it worked?"

"Yes… Yes. I am connected to the construct. Now I have to work out how to make it material."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'motivates'.

I think there should be an apostrophe there, so it would say: gods'.

Avarice empowered New Gods. How much more powerful and out of control would a hypothetical New God who represents Avarice be if they had an orange power ring and used it the way Allyn just did?

28. Duquette7

Duquette7 Not too sore, are you?

God I love this story.

I was wondering if the thread could point me at a downloader that can copy the story only thread though, the ones I normally use only take the threadmarked chapters.

Given how active this community is I hope this question has been asked and answered before, and that I'm not putting anyone out by asking.

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Damn I like this dude.

Paragon for live.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either because she's had her ring for a longer time or because his soul is pushing some of the light away.

"spoken"

Well it shows that you have string desires.

"Our society"