1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

The calibre program with the fanfictiondownloader extension should do the trick.

mastermenthe and moralrelativity like this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I see Drusa is paying close attention to Allyn's process. Given that Grayven's forces are making use of this kind of technology, I can see her wanting to learn everything she can about it in order to fight it.

Something that you should be taking steps to correct, then. Perhaps next time you visit Minosyss, maybe.

To be fair, it is Apokaliptian technology. There could be some hidden factor that works to corrupt the user. Perhaps if they could study it, develop their own systems...

And it would certainly feel peculiar to those not accustomed to it, I bet. Kind of tangy, perhaps. :p

That may change over time. As you learn to use it better, to channel it more effectively, your soul will adjust to use it...

An accurate estimation. Given the things they do... I'm surprised more races aren't aligned against them. Presumably distance is a factor.

The Ophidian knows what lies in your soul. What you really want. But sometimes, it takes someone else asking what you want to understand yourself...

Focusing on your desires, focusing on your goals, your wants, that makes you stronger. But it doesn't necessarily make you better.

It's probably closer to being a demi-god. Your flesh is of the real, the mortal world. It's just that your soul has a little more oomph than regular people...

It is their job, after all. :p

And this... This promises to require some very creative thinking...

Admittedly, most people don't have the same mass behind their souls that a demigod does. That's why New God technology is so effective. It allows those without that metaphysical oomph to put what they do have to better use. It's basically a fulcrum, with their soul as the lever.

And if they are not, then it becomes a contest of strength, not of arms but of soul. Hence my occasional references to 'Narrative Combat' whenever a New God appears... :rolleyes:

An interesting way to look at it. I wonder if that translates into his constructs consuming less energy when they collapse, then. The energy being released back into the universe, and flowing back into his Ring...

Ooh, that's a bit personal, isn't it? x3

Besides the common things like survival, comfort and entertainment?

...Because your desires are so weak that you draw such little Orange Light as to avoid contamination. That explains so much.

And thus most of her desires are sated without effort. And thus her issues are made clear.

Best not to get into that habit, Allyn. Not in the field, anyway...

I wonder if she's ever had that happen before?

Evidently not.

And it'll be fascinating to see what they build together.

She lives. But she does not live, if you know what I mean.

There's more to life than surviving, girl. That is why you're so poor a combatant.

Oh, my. [/takei] But honestly... That might work to make her better. Give her something to fight for, to want to keep safe. Not necessarily a lover...

...But a friend. Something more than 'someone I exist beside'. She's probably been caught up in just surviving so long, she's forgotten that feeling, if she ever knew it.

...And becoming aware of that absence is probably making her uncomfortable..

It's not going to be a matter of raw strength, I think. I foresee learning to align his desires with his goals will be what opens the way...

It probably even looks more real now. A good start.

And that's where the challenge will come in. How easy will it be, I wonder, for Allyn to manipulate magical materials?

So, Allyn has found a measure of focus now. A clearer desire that he can employ. And perhaps he can help Drusa find one as well. It's interesting how little interactions like this can shape the desires of an Orange Lantern. How simply talking about it with someone else can guide someone to redefine what they want, and how to get it...

This is the purest sort of war I can imagine, and I will not be found wanting.

3. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

She -> She's

4. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

A bit of Godspeech today.

Are you sure about that, Allyn? You might want to ask Marcus Cole his opinion on the matter.

5. Duquette7

Duquette7 Not too sore, are you?

Doesn't seem to, I downloaded the app, downloaded the story from the site, and it just shows the threadmarked pages, which is about 1/18 of the story, or less, god this thing is big.

Oh well, the html version of the story seems to be kept mostly up to date, it's missing the last seven months, so I hope it gets updated again soon, but that is still the vast majority of the story, and I was mostly looking for a way to reread this magnificently huge sucker on my kindle, it's better for my eyes, and my back.

Ardy and mastermenthe like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    life
    Thank you, corrected.

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember renegade once mentioning that it requires small animals being tortured for it to work.

They may not know that they exist, or about what they do.

The Reach could probably isolate their target species and prevent them from having contact with others so no info slips.

True, but he's not fully helpless even without his ring.

Granted, certain places and things aren't exactly safe even for a demigod, who may be resistant to conventional means of death unless they throw a lot of those means at him, but he may still need certain things.

For example, he may need air and his ring shutting down while he's in space would kill him.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That was either a joke or a possibility that the Renegade gives on how some Apokoliptian tech works. DeSaad is the kind of guy who would make tech like that just for kicks.

10. Mr Zoat

Kicks aimed at a blind puppy.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I was rereading the latest episode and found this error. That should say 'Then after the war, and before the ink is even dry on the treaty with the Guardians, they begin subverting their neighbours.'

Edit: Found another error, this time in the story only thread.
    That should say 'so they didn't have'.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  12. Mr Zoat

No, that's correct.
    No, that's correct too. Not perfect grammar, maybe, but it says what it's supposed to.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And the kicking machine is made from severed kitty legs.

14. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

Hm, the construct's still not solid enough even after that?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  15. draconomial

draconomial Getting out there.

Use Reader mode, then save each of the 49 pages as a pdf. Seems easy enough

16. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

So the New Genesis equivalent would require small animals being fed, pat, and cuddled?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  17. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Has this episode doubled the number of non-Paul viewpoints chapters? Tripled? (Counting Renegade and alternate universe SIs as Pauls.)

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  18. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh, Athyns might make Drusa a better lantern. Interesting.

Otto von Saurion and Xmaster3000 like this.
  19. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

If you want an easy route for the majority of the story, there are links in the first post of this thread to collected versions of the story from various points, though not completely current. They get updated whenever people feel like sending something to Mr Zoat with an upload link it appears.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for but these will result in your getting the whole story even if not via the way you were asking about.

If you want to be fully up to date, you can then use FanFicFare to download the threadmarked posts from this thread to get the up to date version of this thread (Just paste https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/with-this-ring-young-justice-si-thread-fourteen.8938 into FanFicFare's 'Download from URLs' window. Then you have the whole story in two EPUBs with a certain amount of overlap. If you want to use Calibre's editor to edit the collected one you got from the uploaded version to remove what there is of Thread 14, you could then merge the two and get it all into one file using the Calibre 'EPUB merge' plugin. Maybe make copies first rather than working on the originals though in case you mess it up as downloading Thread 14 takes quite a while.

If you'd rather not download a file collected by someone else, I believe you can go to the index post of Thread 11 and use that as the source for the SpaceBattles era. You might need to adjust settings, but I know that FanFicFare has a setting which allows you to use the URL of an index post as the source of chapters/posts to download for pre-threadmark XenForo works. That said, you will end up with duplicate first episode chapters since both the Story Only and in thread threadmarks are in the index. Of course, you can always edit them out after if you want. Then you can use the thread addresses for Threads 12, 13, and 14, since all of those are threadmarked.

Now, I haven't looked at those uploaded versions, so I don't know whether they have all the listed fanart and fan omakes of the fic, but if there are things missing that you want, you can manually highlight all of the links for the ones you want in the index post and paste them into the 'Download from URLs' window. The plugin will convert them to URLs and download them, and you can then merge them into your EPUB if you wish. Note, if you want to be even more complete, you can look at the omake indexes from the previous threads, linked from the first post of this thread, or just by going to those threads, and add those too.

A note on load - I would advise if you do any of the more labour intensive options, keep a labelled list of the URLs in a text file before pasting them into FanFicFare in case it crashes or something partway through, especially if you're going through and being selective, and separate them in the list by which forum they link to. Also that way you can have everything pre-Thread 14 in one EPUB which you can then merge the Thread 14 (and In Praise of Eros if desired) EPUB whenever you update. I'd also advise only updating the Thread 14 EPUB infrequently and use a pretty long cooldown between files in settings because it's pretty time consuming and taxing on the server and you don't want to get your IP or FanFicFare to get blocked by site admins.

- That doesn't get the posts prior to Thread 14. It's actually 115 pages if you get the whole Story Only thread, which goes from the beginning. It's definitely more work than using Calibre, but it is doable. I'd recommend downloading them as HTML files and then importing into Calibre though as it allows for more customization and editing since the other problem with doing it that way is that you don't have chapter markers in your file, and with a story this long, navigation in an e-reader without them can be a pain, so if it were me, I'd put those in. The advantage of getting the story via the Story Only page is of course that it is the most up to date, since Mr Zoat can't apply changes to the in thread version of parts of the story, so if you're getting the text from those sources they might not match up completely.

Note, with all of these, if you want to preserve the text attributes for colour and/or transparency, you'll need to change some settings beforehand because by default, Calibre and FanFicFare strip a lot of that out. Of course, depending on your e-reader, there might not be a point - if it's a black and white reader, say. Likewise, make decisions about what you want them to do with Spoiler boxes and the text within them, and whether you want things to be in threadmark order or chronological order. Read up on the settings and do some testing on smaller sections (like on a completely different story with a short index page if you're going that route) rather than the whole thing to start out with because I believe that a whole run to download just Thread 14 takes several hours.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Vorian and Xmaster3000 like this.
  20. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

More like a crippled puppy, its worse if you can see it coming but can't get out of the way.

21. Threadmarks: Counterpunched (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

18th January 2013
    22:16 GMT

I don't have enough data on his species to know what he meant.

I've had lovers before…

No. I've had bed-mates before, for my own comfort or as part of a social seduction. Some were… Passably skilled, I suppose. When we parted, the few I missed I missed for their practical skills.

I've had… Long term allies before. Friends… In the sense that I preferred spending time around them to strangers. But I never… I always found that people died too easily to get too strongly attached to.

Allyn is -probably, provisionally- trustworthy. The orange light doesn't lie. It can't. People want what they want, and it responds to that. He genuinely wants to 'help' me, whatever that means for him. To change me into something… 'Healthier'. It's a skill most people acquire in childhood and he's hardly the first person to notice that I don't have it. He hasn't asked me to start by trusting-.

"This is something that's difficult for you, isn't it?"

He already knows. There's no advantage to trying to lie. And no obvious advantage to trying to shade the truth.

"It's something I can't do at all."

"Oh."

There are expressions I could use to play up the 'dangerous female' angle. If I was trying to seduce him that's probably what I'd do. But since he's offering to help for free and I don't want anything from him, I think I'll stick to being honest.

"Having second thoughts?"

"Wishing that my mother was here. Karrakan was a violent place. Sometimes… Families died and left survivors who didn't… Weren't integrated into stable communities. My mother worked with them after Sparta… Rescued them. Helped them properly rejoin our society."

From the sound of it, she's probably dead. But he's.. sharing information. That's part of being friendly. If I'm actually going to do this, then I should reciprocate. I don't like sharing things about myself, but there are plenty of things I can say that don't involve taking any risks.

"My species' homeworld isn't too far from here."

"Do they still live there?"

"I don't know. I doubt that our society still exists. The Reach have controlled it long enough that everyone left will be happy slaves."

"The Controllers-."

"The Controllers will try and restore our pre-conquest society. But I never lived it. I don't have any connection to it." I lean closer. "How's the sword coming along?"

"I need to finish it in order for you to give me a chance." Doing My Part.

The sword… Grows, from a point in the hilt, a grey… Scaffold, grows out to form the skeleton of the blade. Darker material expands from the skeleton, merging together until the entire volume of the construct is filled in. Allyn gasps, his environmental shield shimmering and fading as he slumps as the table, dully staring at his new sword.

"Are you hurt?"

"Disconcerted. I feel…" He looks up at me and his eyes are glowing orange. Did Zartok teach him about orange light overloads? Did the Illustres? I doubt that Zartok did unless he overloaded in the arena. The Illustres might have-. "That your happiness is the most important thing in the universe to me."

That's usef-.

No. No. That's stupid, because everyone in N.E.M.O. knows what crazy Orange Lanterns look like, this won't last forever, and allies who aren't crazy are a lot more useful than the ones who are. And taking advantage of an ally's moment of weakness is a good way to make sure that no one tries to be your ally again.

"Thank you, Allyn. Right now, the thing that would make me the most happy would be you taking your ring off."

"Are you certain?"

"I prefer it when I can look at you without an orange glow."

Which is true. I've never gone into the madness place, but I was shown the recordings of Lanterns who did. Including the two who did it in the field. Lanterns can do some very dangerous things when the only thing on their mind is what they want right now, and sometimes it's dangerous to the people around them.

"Then at once!"

He pulls his ring off his finger… Then slumps across the table.

Good.

I take a moment to slide the swords out of his hands, and resist the urge to keep one. Most Orange Lanterns who do that end up a little out of it afterwards, but this is unusual-.

My environmental shield is.. leaking into the visible parts of the new sword's skeleton. Nothing happens with the old one. I can't remember-.

The Controller, Hinon Hee Hannanan. She was in a coma until the Illustres gave her an orange ring, because she-.

Because she used her own avarice to forge his ring, and so didn't have any left in her.

I raise my own left hand and scan his brain. Patterns of activity… Seem normal, for most species of humanoid. Glancing down, I see that his ring is out of power.

I could put my ring on him, but my translator doesn't have his language and that would remove my best weapon and shield. I could put his ring on, recharge it from my personal lantern and then give it back, but a lot of Lanterns add security to their rings to stop people doing that. I could ask Zartok or Grood to do either of those. Zartok might do it if that was what was necessary for the mission, or he might just write Allyn off. And possibly me. I could.. try feeding power into his ring directly from mine.

That one.

Pushing power out of my ring isn't something that comes naturally to me. Making myself weaker has never been a viable survival strategy. I feel that instinctively, on a level more primal than anything I know about being on a ship crewed by people on the same side as me.

But I want people to offer me things.

I don't get a lot of orange light flowing, but it's enough to make his ring spark again. I move it back onto his finger and then lean back.

He doesn't stir.

Brain function still suggests that he's just unconscious-. The sword. It's still glowing faintly as it parasitizes my environmental shield. I pour a little more power into it, causing the divots to glow. Then I move it to Allyn's ring hand and wait.

That.. should-.

"Uhg?"

Allyn opens his eyes, immediately catching sight of the sword.

"It worked."

"You lost consciousness. And you overloaded."

"I did? Oh. Should we tell Zartok?"

"Refine the process first. We'll talk to him when you can do it safely."

22. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

to -> too
    most -> must

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Huh....the god stuff might be a leg up on forging rings and lanterns, if using it to make a soul/avarice powered sword works.

Really interesting to see the mechanics....and the side effects of the process, and from a very logical mind too. having some self actualization thoughts on her side in the build up that helps define why she's having issues with the process herself.

25. Chojin Patriarch

But do you mean lovers of the flesh, Drusa, or lovers of the heart? Because there's a very large gap between the two. And given what else we know about her... I don't think she's let anyone into her heart...

I didn't think so. That isn't much of a life to live...

Heh. He's probably not talking about what she's thinking about, but the timing is fortuitous.

You can't help but look for angles, can you? Seeking leverage to get people to do what you want...

...Drusa needs to stop looking at this like a transaction, or a strategic battle. Sadly, she seems to be stuck in survival mode...

Why do I get the feeling Sparta targetted such people for recruitment? Seeking the outcasts and the dissatisfied for her 'cause'...

Sparta's not actually dead. Shocked into catatonia last time we saw her, but alive...
    Edit: Oh, wait, he meant his mother, not Sparta, huh? :oops: Whoops. Yeah, she's probably very dead by now...

A pity she feels nothing about that. It could have been a useful source of desires to fight for...

The joy of growing up in a time of turmoil, eh? Not fitting in with either the society from before, or what takes shape after...

Not bad. But what did it cost him to manage that?

Danger, Will Robinson, danger! In an altered state like this, anything could happen...

Well done, Drusa. Not looking to your own advantage. Or at least, not the way you started to there.

At least he's eager to please. That state probably makes it a lot easier to work with overloaded Lanterns. Pity most trigger it in battle.

Especially if those desires are currently 'destroy anything I feel is threatening to me.' Useful for a disposable weapon. Not so much for an elite soldier.

Let's just hope he hasn't done himself any permanent damage there. To his psyche, or his godly aspects...

And if he wakes up looking for his swords, one missing won't make him happy.

Interesting. :confused: Did the Orange Light overload alter the mechanics of the New God technology to channel Avarice more easily than Divinity?

Not surprising if he's working with mystical materials. But it could be a sign of something more harmful...

...Not something commonly done. Or easily. Interesting that she jumped to that idea.

And therein lies one of her difficulties, I see. But sometimes expending a resource can make you safer in the long run...

Probably like one or two percent. Just enough to operate, but not much else. A good idea in the wake of an Avarice overload like that.

Wonder if that would make it easier for his soul to recover the Orange Light expended or not... The weapon is designed to link to the soul, after all.

Eh, few people are particularly articulate after waking up like that. Bet he's got a hangover too...

So best not to try that again. Unless it's absolutely necessary for the process, in which case, it's an even worse idea.

In other words, without nearly killing yourself from exhaustion or spiritual draining...

Hmm. The results could be interesting, if others could learn the process needed. Orange Lanterns crafting their own special New God technology armour and weaponry would give them a strong advantage against Grayven's forces... But only if they can manage the process safely. On the other hand, what could a master Lantern like OL or Xalitan Xor manage with it? So many possibilities...

26. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I've run into that problem before. AFAIK, the extension can't use an index post or just do everything, which would make things a lot easier.

There's another extension called EpubSplit, if you ever get the whole thing (or some other long fic) downloaded.

If you do use it, don't make my mistake. You don't have to manually select each individual chapter you want to include. Click on the first one, then Shift+Click on the last one, and it'll automatically select all the ones in between. You can also select additional individual chapters with Ctrl+Click, without deselecting any previously selected chapters.

Usefully, this also works on the main Calibre screen, where you select books.

Also, funny story. Calibre used to take forever to read my phone, which was irritating. Then I switched from the USB 2 port to the USB 3, and now it finishes in about a minute.

I spent most of a decade rolling my eyes when all I had to do was plug it in on the other side of my laptop.

27. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

Think she was recognizing that Allyn's mother was dead, not Sparta, given that's who he wished was available.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Noted, and edited to make it clearer...

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, he mentioned that she was dead and that he felt her soul pass on.

Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  30. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

I like this chapter a lot. Drusa has interesting kinds of character development potential to me.

Um, actually, it can use an index post, with some caveats. See: https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFare/wiki/BaseXenForoForumAdapters
    If the index post contains only links to posts on the same forum as it's located, it will work like a charm. If it links to multiple posts on multiple forums, it will only download the posts on the forum the index post is on, so you'll have to do the other forum's chapters separately. So for this story, if you were doing it that way you'd have to do it in four chunks, I think - Thread 11's index post, Thread 12's (or the first post on Thread 13, which is probably the better idea since there's some overlap otherwise), the second post on Thread 13, because Mr Zoat kindly split the index posts at the episode where the new thread started (Rampage, Ep 72), and then the index of Thread 14. Of course, you could also just download the threadmarked posts on 12, 13, and 14 and only use the index post for 11 since that's the only one that pre-dates threadmarks, and that way you avoid downloading both the Story Only and 'in thread' versions of the first chapters of each episode. You can manually remove them after, but this is less work.

Rebu likes this.