1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"putting pressure" unless that's a Britishism I'm unfamiliar with. Also, "both sides".

Either "in perfect health" or "in perfectly good health". (Or maybe "he's perfectly healthy".)

Nguyen's

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  3. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Who knows, maybe for once it's Jade bringing lost puppies home with her?

4. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Grayven is probably making some assumptions about how Knockout will be treated by the OLC. Honestly, I could also see it as him 'explaining' it was a test of New Gods and orange lantern rings if Darkseid brings it up.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  5. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Okay, so now I’m actually confused what the Reach are there for. Is it Jade, the boom tube generator or a high ranking new god aide aka knockout?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

The Reach wanted the boom tube generator and hopefully someone who could operate it.

Vorian, c3qo, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  7. Threadmarks: Xenopsychology (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

6 561 937.M41

I remember watching a video on YouTube about the French Revolution many years ago. The various contributors were discussing how the Committee for Public Safety went madder and madder and more and more murderous, and how that tied into other revolutionary philosophies. And most of them sounded like that fact was why they were very sceptical about revolutionary philosophy, because they'd seen where it led.

Except the Russian chap, who sounded like he thought it was great and completely appropriate to randomly murder people in order to maintain an atmosphere of fear that would make people reluctant to act against the revolutionary state.

"VILE HERETIC!"

My construct barrier wavers as… Some sort of energy field disrupting ammunition strikes it. Not actual Vindicare Temple shield-breaker rounds… I think. I'm too mobile to be a good target for temple assassins, so aside from one testicle-retraction-inducing encounter with a Callidus Assassin which I think was more an attack of opportunity I haven't been targetted. As far as I remember, shield breaker ammunition would break a shield whatever it was made of and these rounds clearly haven't.

My construct boyz swarm the Storm Trooper position, taking several hits before-

Waaaaaagh!

-evaporating, while their brethren slam into their targets with… With 'smackers', and begin clubbing them into compliance.

Some inquisitors are hard people in a hard line of work, confronting covert threats to the Estate Imperium. They're usually late to the party, fighting mutants, aliens, heretics and traitors in entrenched positions in the societies they inquisite in a desperate race to prevent some great catastrophe. Or they contain in their mind dangerous knowledge that is vital to a conflict but would corrupt a person of lesser devotion or will.

The old quote 'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live!' isn't a dark joke or the ranting of some edgelord. I've seen Imperial loyalists burn a faithful world from orbit to destroy a reactivating Necron tomb buried underneath and I've seen what can happen when tombs like that reactivate and I agree that it was the correct course of action.

And some Inquisitors are like this arsehole.

I look at one of the holding cells, where the people were pushed inside until there was no space left at all, the bodies of the people closest to the bars… Partially pressed through. There's no one alive in there, but they… They could have lived for quite a while.

No sign of mutation or genetic corruption on any of them. No Eye of Horus tattoos, or other signs of religious heresy. A couple have genetic traits associated with low level psykers, but nothing above Mu level. Even the Inquisitor's own records just say that 'the will of the ineffable Master of Mankind drew them to my attention' and other just non-justifications.

This man didn't solve problems. He created them. And now I've got to deal with one.

Gremlin clanks up the corridor as the last of the Storm Troopers are… Um, detained. What he's wearing… We managed to acquire a couple of oddboyz to see what happened when they were exposed to him, on the grounds that they would be less hassle to contain than regular boyz. The results have been… Interesting, and the relatively smooth power armour he's now wearing is a marked departure from the way ork mega armour usually looks. It looks like armour and not randomly attached bits of industrial machinery, for a start.

"Looks like the boyz did good, Boss."

A mental impulse from me and they begin dragging the recumbent guardsmen out to the waiting detainment units. Technically, this is a Tau Empire-loyal human world invading its Imperium-loyal human neighbour, and as a result of the sheer barbarity of the rulers to their subjects they're not having any trouble finding collaborators. Earth-caste engineers will go through their… Horrendously brutal factories later to see what modifications can be made in terms of health and safety improvements…

They were literally cooking the foundry workers alive, for goodness sake.

I nod absent-mindedly. I'm not looking forward to the next bit, but that's my job.

"Boyz will be boyz."

The most deeply fortified cell is just ahead of me. The Storm Troopers were actually using the outer fortifications for cover, and-.

Ring charging. Capacitors at seventy six percent.

And something warp-related started happening here the moment Kais killed that flipping Inquisitor, which probably means that the wards were tied to his own psychic powers. And the Storm Troopers were stationed here rather than manning the outer defences.

Ring charging. Capacitors at seventy seven percent.

Artefact or psyker? Don't know. It's interfering with my scans. Gremlin is only here because as an orkoid he's a lot more resistant to this sort of thing than tau or most humans.

"Lotta sacrifices, boss. Didn't look loik that sorta Inquisitor."

Ritual sacrifices are best for sorcery, but actually? Just killing a lot of people in the same place works. The veil draws thin, and the next thing you know…

The ring defeats the lock on… Yes, it's a null chamber, as Gremlin readies his positron gun. Klaxon and warning lights as the heavy metal door slowly opens, my armour ready for any attack.

Ring charging. Capacitors at seventy eight percent. Capacitors at seventy nine percent.

Oh dear.

Scarlet and purple light streams out, moving in waves and leaving an odd ripple texture on any surface it touches. We've got a full on veil-piercing here, and that's a bad sign. The hole itself is manageable; this isn't my first time closing one. This issue is that every vaguely psychic person is going to start hearing the voices, if they weren't already.

A light stream touches my construct armour-

Capacitors at eighty percent.

-and gets absorbed as I push forward, Gremlin hanging back to cover me.

"Is there anyone in there? Please, try to remain calm, we're here to rescue you."

My boot hits a chain on the floor, links made from some psychically retardant material cut clean through and the remains of its purity seals melted on to the floor.

"Try imagining a wall. On the other side of the wall is a raging ocean, but where you are is calm."

Captured Imperial psykers haven't been entirely consistent in what they think they're allowed to share, but some just start muttering their mantras when their own powers start acting up.

"If you can hear my voice, please respond!"

The colours are fading slightly, and I can see the outline of the room. Looks like there's… Yes, an enhanced interrogation suite, Inquisition style. Clamps, chains, an excruciator, what's left of a scribe servitor… But they knew he didn't know anything! There wasn't anything he could tell them and they didn't believe otherwise. This was just… Horribly torture a man because that's the next step. And they don't even have the excuse that most Imperial organisations do about procedure being holy writ; the Inquisition is expressly empowered to go against that.

They just didn't care to.

Okay, I can't see anyone. They could be hiding themselves, but it's more likely that they're further into the warp.

A step from the real. Alright, let's do this.

"I'm coming for you! Please, come this way!"

The world ripples as the real pulls away and-.

A colossal arm of burning metal and slag punches through the materium and grabs onto me, pulling me into no-space before a vast daemonic face!

"Ave, domine."

And the real vanishes as I'm pulled deeper.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  8. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

What the hell is a black templar doing in the warp coming after Paul. Btw did you hear about Vashtorr and if so what are your plans for him. Among the demons he's one that can be dealt with relatively *safety* although that safety is in big red letters.

9. Mr Zoat

You think being in the Warp would stop them coming after him?

Also, what Black Templar?
    Hasn't heard of him.

10. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

He's essentially a demi-god of technology who really wants to become the 5th chaos god. Among chaos he's shockingly honest and keeps to his contacts. As long as you negotiate a good contract with him and that's the hard part but doable he is going to keep his word and won't try and fuck you over which is unlike chaos. Think lawful evil with a heavy emphasis on the lawful aspect. Still evil as shit but you can work with him unlike the other 4. He's essentially the arms dealer of chaos and the 4 gods leave him alone because if they piss him off they don't get access to his cool shit which is a bad idea when your rivals do.

Cuchulin, Relyt33, Minars90 and 6 others like this.
  11. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

So he pulled a Constantine with the four chaos spawn except with weapons instead of his own soul. Cool.

12. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Say goodnight.

So, he's the Forge of Souls, except before the stupid reboot where they made it a genius loci where the forging is metaphorical.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And doesn't that say so much about each commentator's national character, eh? It's a solid reminder that the people who most often seek power are rarely the ones best suited to have power... And that's never truer than in Warhammer 40,000...

Most likely a regular sniper then. Probably an inquisitorial henchman with some flashy gear.

...I can honestly see a lot of similarities in the energy field. Orks want nothing more than a good scrap, after all.

'Smackers', huh? P'Aul's insistence on less-lethal options I guess. There's not much that's non-lethal in an Ork's hands, after all... :p

And others are just batshit insane from the start, but hide it well enough to gain some power.

And given how many human-ruled worlds there are... Ten billion lives is a fraction of a percent. A literal rounding error.

Ouch. Standing crushes are no joke, people. Remember that thing in Korea at Halloween, 2022? :( Yeah. And that's not even the most recent occurrence.

Sadly, many Inquisitors end up having to run clean-up on other Inquisitors of their Ordos... It's a wonder they get time to focus on their real enemies.

Ah, the joy of a race whose technological knowledge is largely instinctual outbursts within rare and less-than-sane individuals.

Honestly, not surprised. If you've spent any time on the Internet, you've probably heard the jokes about some countries' health and safety practices... Or lack of. Imagine that, escalated to ludicrous, almost parodic levels.

But having a Brain Boy to keep them in check is a bonus. Even if they are Construct Lanterns.

I suspect the defences can be manned facing inwards or outwards, for ease of installation...

...As in Shas'La T'Au Kais? :confused: Oh, shit... For reference, he's a Fire Warrior who proved so badass that he supposedly steam-rolled Astartes both Loyalist and Heretical, daemons and even beat down a Greater Demon of Tzeentch.

There's a fine line between Radical Inquisitor and full Heretical... And it doesn't take much to cross it.

In other words, this may not have been an intentional summoning. Daemons of Khorne especially are drawn to places of bloodletting...

Indeed. Since your ring is charging, that means a lot of Warpy stuff happened here.

And if they start hearing the voices, the voices might stick around after the rift is closed. That's bad, since it could be anything from a light touch of warpiness to a full-on possession.

...Still, strip enough psychic energy from it, and it'll collapse.

Not Noctilith, I suppose. This takes place a few editions before that was a thing.

The drawback of the Tau working with things they can barely perceive, much less make sense of... A distinct shortage of suitable psychic shielding systems like Gellar fields.

I suspect they were so far gone, they did this for fun.

At this point, where do you just decide 'acceptable losses' and write them off?

Oooh. Best be careful what you say, some warp entities can take that as an invitation...

Burning metal? Not an Eldar Avatar, I hope. More likely something Khornate...

Gremlin: :confused: "Well, squig-shit..."

This... Does not look good. Whatever this entity is, it appears to think P'Aul is an Imperial? Which may mean it's in for a nasty surprise. Let's hope this is more in the way of a polite chat rather than an attempted possession. At least we won't have to wait long to see how it rolls out.

14. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

I assume you mean Night Lord? “Ave Dominus Nox” is sort of their thing. Black Templars are a loyalist chapter of imperial fists. Or it could just be latin, as “Ave Dominus” just means “Hail Lord” in latin.

15. Mr Zoat

This issue is the evil part. Contacting him is still going to require ritual sacrifices, and he's going to want payment in souls.
    It's more like 'Yes, Master' in this context.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

About time.

This should have happened months ago.

There's no such thing as being too mobile for the Temple.

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

it -> is
    organisation -> organisations

18. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Have we ever had a sidestory of OL in the Venture Brothers universe?

Cuchulin and MasterG like this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

No, and I struggle to see how he would even work in that setting.

Ardy and mastermenthe like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

He'd find out about certain people suppressing 'game changers' and... Remonstrate with them.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In that case, I'd like to see how both the OSI and the GCI will react to OL basically flipping the table.

Cuchulin, Rebu and mastermenthe like this.
  24. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Wait, you've watched Venture Bros?

25. Mr Zoat

I've watched clips on YouTube.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe "no matter what it was made"

Hard Men making hard choices.

More often than not it's a load of crap to justify acting like a dick.

That's a perfect summary of the Imperium of Man.

Maybe they wanted to make sure that they weren't losing their touch and used him for practice.

Vorian and Ngamer11 like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Administratum probably has ten times that number of people lost due to a clerical error.

I mean, the Imperium is kinda one of its own worst enemies.

Rituals connected to Chaos seem to just be a way for mortals to focus.

It's possible that for a sufficiently skilled psyker manipulating the Warp would just be a matter of will.

28. Mr Zoat

I think that's fine.
    More literally, hard men making unproductively brutal choices and assuming that it's the same thing.
    I rather like the description... I think it was from 1d4chan: 'A man hanging from a cliff by one hand. He could probably pull himself up if he used his second, but he's too busy using it to flip off the people standing on the clifftop.'

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Vorian, Jaron, Frank Iannetta and 5 others like this.
  29. unLuckerII

unLuckerII Getting out there.

Oh my god was that not supposed to be "particle"? Bwahaha

30. Mr Zoat

Why would a particle retract?