1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Not surprising. Conventional technology like that only has so much memory space available for storage. Even for maltusian-designed technology. So the linguistic databases would likely be focused on cultures aligned to NEMO or under threat from the Reach...

...As long as it doesn't end with something like 'The hour draws late. They come. They come...' or cuts off mid-sentence with a splatter of blood. The latter is kind of unrealistic anyway. :p Who'd keep writing even as they're in danger of dying?

To be fair, aren't most of the Orange Lantern Corps' rings made that way, only taking on more unique coding as their new wielder customises then? Barring bespoke customs for people like OL or Dox...

That doesn't necessarily mean they weren't here at some point in the past, though.

Now, now, let's not start an argument, kids.

Maybe they got word from travellers or refugees fleeing the cities?

...Not unless there was an ancestor spirit telling them so...

I am impressed at the logic in that statement, though. 'If we're it, then we should hold ourselves to the highest standards of behaviour...'

...Might be a bit too much trouble for them, though. Being in the Antimatter universe, after all.

You can only be afraid for so long. If death appears certain, then why fight it?

Better than being torn limb-from-limb by an unknown foe someday...

Also anger, willful defiance or pleading... No two people would have the same exact reaction, but group pressures can do a lot...

It is a grim picture this place paints, after all...

To be fair, would you want someone capable of this running around where you couldn't keep an eye on them?

All these tales, lost to time... :( A sad fate.

That is a good point, even after altering her brain to be more compassionate back when she had the Ring in hand, she's never been this...

Ah. There's a little anger there, then. That this could be done, and the person responsible has no more concern for it than what he chose for breakfast a week ago?

...Never hurts to be polite.

...No offence to the locals, huh?

Since once the soul has left the body, it's just matter, I suppose? And most funerary practices are more for the ones left behind than for the deceased....

Because you wouldn't put it past him to booby-trap a tomb, just in case someone came poking?

...That just makes the loss of the stories behind these exhibits all the sadder. Why these things? Who decided on them? How long has each been displayed? Oh, I'm sure each has a plaque containing some details, but they rarely cover everything.

...Okay, that was notable.

Ooh, you got a live one there? Be careful, they might be desperate.

Which probably isn't going to do much for the nerves of anyone inside...

...Well, that was unexpected. I wonder who might be down there, or how many. It is impressive that they've survived the... Years? Since Kalmin did his thing. I wonder if he even considered the possibility of survivors, or cared about it. At any rate, I suppose we'll get to find out more tomorrow. Wonder if it'll start off with a bang or not...

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Someone that wants their last thoughts to be made known.

A good way to fix that would be to kill the person.

Even when she was working for Ras she could tell herself that Ras wasn't going for full genocide and that his intentions were somewhat noble.

Kalmin did go full genocide and he did it just because someone asked him to make a ring.

Though the soul still has a connection to the body.

My guess is some kind of ghost, since after everything that happened, a spirit being unable to pass on would make sense.

Or heck, maybe one of the locals absorbed the ambient fear and became an elemental.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Your daily reminder that an assassin now has a higher level of morality then LePaul.

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul runs on a blue and orange scale morality that just so happens to mostly align with most black and white morality scales. As such, it can be difficult sometimes to determine how he will act or react in certain situations that an average human would consider morally gray.

5. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Sounds like a potential recruit ☺️

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

What will Kalmin do if it turns out there is enough left to recreate the species?

7. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I think it has more to do with the fact that this language was only used on part of a single primitive world in the antimatter universe which was wiped out before Jade’s equipment was probably built, or maybe even designed. Even if they had unlimited storage space I’d be surprised if they included this language. I think the ring can read it because of absurd translation abilities, not because it has a record of the language.
    I doubt he will do anything. He wiped them out for practical reasons, not religious ones (insofar as he does anything for non-religious reasons, anyway). Obviously he’ll want to kill them eventually because he wants to kill everyone, but I doubt he’d really care if they got resurrected in the short term.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't know.

The guy clearly has pride in his work, so some of them surviving could force him to finish what he started.

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'He'd', I think.

He has pride in his work - but he completed his work. He drove a world to death with fear, in order to craft a Yellow Power Ring for Sinestro, and craft a Yellow Power Ring he did.

Unless there's some really bizzare version of Bobblehead Malware on Sinestro's hardware, the ring isn't going to stop working, or even suffer degraded performance, just because somebody discovered that the planet was only 99.9999999999999% dead.

10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    What, you think this is the only world someone who worships destruction destroyed?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  11. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

You know the audience is bird brained about what is seen.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  12. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Wasn't one of the reasons Paul recruited Kalmin was in the hope he could convince him to build something that could help save Alan's life? Kalmin couldn't do Green, but was able to do Blue. Or was all of that secondary reasoning to the whole 'possible Controller counter' idea? I always assumed it was a bit higher up the list. If it wasn't, then I really need to reevaluate the character. For me, one of Renegade's strongest scenes was him standing over Alan's grave, talking to Diana. He was slower in getting what he wanted to help Alan, but I'd argue that he took the far more difficult/dangerous route of going to Darkseid to acquire an old Green Lantern.

13. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

And what happened immediately before this story is that Paul asked him to make another ring.

Come to think about it, nobody asked a lot of questions about how Kalmin made the blue ring and lantern for Alan, did they? The assumption is that hey, it was hope, he couldn't have done anything too harmful right... right...? Right?

Of course, the easiest way to generate hope is to first generate despair and then give people a way out of it. Maybe Kalmin killed only half a world, and then he gave the other half hope for salvation. Sort of like if this village had known they were all going to die, and then a superhero came in and beat up the aliens destroying the world. Do you think Kalmin played the part of the "hero" himself, or did he have a robot do it?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and kraryal like this.
  14. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Interesting. It's easy to shrug at evil teammate Kalmin, because sure he talks but in story we don't really see him commit atrocities. This really brings everything home. And it does seem interesting if there's a survivor.

It's also really fun to see Jade's character growth. This really isn't the reaction early s1 Jade would have had, but her reformation, growing compassion, and work with NEMO seems to have done her well. Hmm, I wonder if this is a hint she's growing past the point where the only thing she can do is fight. (She probably will always fight, but having more talents is always helpful)

Kalmin assumed Paul saved the world where women had their eyes gouged out solely to give him enough hope to make a ring. I assume that Hope is what he used to make the Blue Ring and lantern.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nope, I remember that he destoryed more than one world.

Heck, it was mentioned that the work on the Anti-Green ring killed several civilizations.

I was pointing out that Kalmin is a lot worse than a lot of the other people Jade has worked for.

That's it.

16. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Unaligned Malthusians seem to get off hand mentioned a lot, but I’d like to see actual effort put into talking to them, and trying to get at least some of them working in other Colors of the Emotional Spectrum. Like, that’s been mentioned have a dozen times I feel but nothings really been done on that front.

Or go talk to the Zamorans again at least, after calling ahead and turning off Soul-O-Vision.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  17. Cheiromancer

Cheiromancer Getting out there.

I stopped following this story sometime ago, and recently started up again. Is "Fear Ourself" part of the main story line, or is it about the adventures of an alt-Paul?

And is there a wiki or some other source that lets one follow a complete thread? I like the Xenopsychology storyline - I would like to know if there are earlier story arcs in the same universe.

18. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Unaligned maltusians either live under rocks or have a willingness to delete unwanted visitors.

There are the rare criminal exiles, too, but that would alienate the Controllers and put Paul in range of a Krona-lite Maltusian.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Fear Ourself is part of the main Paul storyline.

There are other Warhammer 40k chapters out there but I do believe you have to manually find them. If you search by the Warhammer dating system with Mr Zoat as the author you will likely find them in the story only thread.

Xmaster3000, boo600 and Cheiromancer like this.
  20. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Nah, I’m pretty sure there are a whole bunch just walking around on Maltus. Maybe as many as a couple dozen. I think I remember that Paragon actually ran into one randomly. The problem is more that they have their own projects and they’re pretty self-absorbed, I think.

Xmaster3000 and mastermenthe like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There are thousands, possibly millions of unaligned maltusians on Maltus.

The problem is that they may not necessarily focus on Light Spectrum tech, or their payment may be a bit too great and out of there.

Cuchulin and mastermenthe like this.
  22. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Paul originally freaked out about Maltus having a multi million (billion?) population, wondering aloud if there were indeed that many Controllers. The Darkstar agent corrected him that the majority of the population was Clickers, with the Controllers being like, 30ish members. Paul did run into an un-aligned Maltusian but I think it was just seeing them in the crowd?

23. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

It's a bit out of date at times, but someone around here still runs a wiki for all this.

http://wtr.greenmaw.com/wiki/Omake_Index

but I think the best list we have that is recent would be a post back here

https://forum.questionablequesting....i-thread-fourteen.8938/page-1336#post-4478265

Cheiromancer likes this.
  24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Either : or , instead of ;

That would be me. Hi! But I knew when I started that project that I wasn't going to be able to keep up with it by myself. I'm still accepting volunteers!

25. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    12:52 GMT

Desiccated corpses with small cups next to their shelves are arrayed near the entrance. Then there's a gap before the older remains, probably because they were sleeping here and didn't see the point in walking further than they had to. Several of the shelves had bits of bedding in with them, blankets or pillows or wind-up clocks. There's a residue of poison in the cups, and after calculating the likely result on the natives' physiology I find myself agreeing with my golden alter-ego: carbon monoxide really is the way to go.

The crypt is built into the stone of the mountain, and while the outer museum was a relatively normal room the crypt itself is bare stone. No decoration, but it does have oil lanterns hanging from the ceiling to light the way. They've long since gone out, reservoirs expended. For a moment I wonder where they got the oil from, but I suppose that it wouldn't be strange for communities like this to ship in a barrel a year or so.

I move deeper, Jade watching the flanks. Side passages are more crypts, but they don't have any markings so I've got no idea if they're for families or years or professions or… Whatever they considered most significant. Further in and the passages-.

"Stop."

I stop, attack constructs ready to go at a moment's notice.

"The walls. They weren't made with the same tools."

I take a closer look… Yes. This continent was early to mid twentieth century equivalent in terms of technology. This was done with something else, something they couldn't have built, either a plasma cutter or a matter disruptor.

"Kalmin wouldn't have left a test subject alive. But it's not that hard to come here if you know where you're going. There's no reason to assume that we're the first ones here."

I continue deeper. Something else that stands out: Kalmin wouldn't have bothered to copy local styles, whereas whoever did this clearly has. There are empty shelves, their design similar to but not quite the same as the ones the locals use. And there are bodies, but they're placed sporadically while the locals filled up spaces before moving on.

Alert.

Standard scan didn't spot it, but sonic and electrical sensors working together detected a spatial fracture system. Nasty if you walk into it, but the generator node… Should be…

I release the Colin Thornton construct lantern and send it onward. It marches into the fracture zone, which triggers and begins altering the relationship between spatial dimensions in its radius. Colin returns to my ring instantly, but I'm braced and prepared for the storm of horrifying images that come with seeing his memories and behaviours. I release and dispatch him again to the same result, and again-.

The spatial fracture generator stutters, a problem with hiding a power hungry system from a sufficiently capable attacker. Colin flies through during the flux with only some damage, and tears apart the generator with his bare hands.

"Dismissed."

He vanishes, and after another scan I advance into the area it was covering.

"Would that send an alert?"

"Probably. Nothing I can detect, so we're dealing with someone clever rather than opportunistic looters."

Scanners and mental acceleration on full I move forward, alert for-

"Nurnnurnnurnnurn…"

-any sign of danger to us. Nothing, and we're in a crypt cul-de-sac-. And from the way that dust cloud is moving I can tell that's a hologram.

I short it out, and-.

Plasma fire from a device built into the ceiling hits my force field and achieves precisely nothing, while my spear construct punches through its weak armour and cuts off its power supply. Hm. So far it looks like the technology here is advanced, but the application is a little slapdash. Someone with little field experience?

Other force fields or guns? Looks like no. I push on-

Scan available.

-into the room, construct tentacles snaking out and seizing control of the main computer system. Sadly it's not tied into anything other than the… Containment unit? But I stop the automatic subject purge countdown anyway.

The subject-. A dishevelled humanoid. Male. He's wearing a plug suit-. No, a bio-monitor suit, but his hair and beard are scraggly and I can see blood around his mouth.

And fear. So much fear.

The other equipment… Some of it looks a little like Kalmin's forge. Other parts look like the more mundane parts of his workshop. A Weaponer, then. Someone out of favour with Varnathon? Or just trying to hide a secret workshop away from prying eyes.

The computer doesn't have records on it. Because what sort of Weaponer wouldn't be able to just remember things like that?

The containment chamber is a custom job, and I don't think that it's designed to let things pass in or out easily. I could break through with a little effort, but I think it's best to get a better idea of what's going on first. The man inside doesn't look bound in any way, he's just sort of curled up against the side of the chamber.

And there's the speak-.

Wait. I know that face. DNA scan-.

I activate the speaker.

"Orange Lantern Illustres here." His head doesn't come up. "Can you hear me?"

"Eh-heh-heh-huuuu…"

Cowering and gibbering. Okay. If I understand this machine correctly, then pulling this lever and turning these dials should reduce the focus on the chamber interior.

"I think the Weaponer who set this place up was trying to focus the residual fear energy through this man."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure. Perhaps they were trying to make him into an ideal Yellow Lantern? Or just to see what would happen."

"Where did they get a human?" … "Don't tell me-."

"There's an anti-matter Earth. I mean an Earth Negative Sixteen. I don't actually know if he's from there."

"But you don't think he's from our Earth. You've scanned him."

"Yes. Hello in there! Are you feeling any better?"

"Hu-ur-huh?"

His head comes up slightly, his mind still filled with fear but regaining the capacity for coherent thought.

"I'm happy to remove you from this planet just as soon as we can get some idea how safe that is for you. Can you tell me your name, sir?"

He manages to make eye contact for a moment, then they drop back down again. I'm not sure if all that I'm seeing in him is fear because it's so strong that it's overwhelming, or because that's all there is left.

"W-where is she?"

"I don't know who you're talking about, sir. As far as I know, the three of us are the only people on the planet."

"No-no-no-no-no."

"Can you tell me your name?"

He manages to get up on his hands and knees, still cringing and unwilling to meet my eyes.

"Joseph. Joseph Harrolds."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Ohhh, well. Leave him there.

Relyt33, Wheenesss, Caerwen and 2 others like this.
  28. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

So he seems to switch between being both fear enlightened and not fear enlightened? Not sure if this is a mistake or not.

Relyt33, Ardy, Wheenesss and 4 others like this.
  29. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

When both text and quotes are colored, that’s just extreme emotion. He’s fluctuating between “very scared” and “all consuming terror”

30. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Not a recruit... But a potential powersource?