1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Aren't Paul's construct lanterns usually more.. expressive? Teekl, the Praexis Demons, Hellwraith, Demon Nabu, Gary..nitpick maybe, but it's weird seeing them not even go "Yes, Master" or something.

You know, what would happen if Paul assimilated someone from the Antimatter Universe? I know it can assimilate demons and such, but would it work on something made of antimatter?

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's that lack of critical thinking again.

If you were the only three people on the planet he would have died from dehydration/starvation already.

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  3. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

They only act like anything because subconsciously Paul expected them to act at least partly like their old self. If he doesn't want construct Colin to act like anything, it won't.

4. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I wonder if Paul will recognize this guy. I didn't I know who Power Ring is. His death leads to my second favorite Green Lantern becoming a character Jessica Cruz. I never learned his real name though.

Relyt33, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Honestly, the poison was probably the best option they had. They might not have been able to ensure that any kind of fire, especially one large enough to suffocate them all, wouldn't go out of control and damage the tombs...

Honestly, a setup like this... Would the closest crypts have been the oldest community members, dating back however many decades since its founding, with newer crypts deeper down as they expanded... Or would they have moved each older generation deeper in with each expansion, to ensure the newly interred 'ancestor spirits' were closest to the living? Who knows?

Which would be quite the display in animation. guns appearing all around him... :D

...So not a local. Perhaps this section was carved to to hide something newer? But by who?

Definitely someone trying to hide something.

Ooof. I expect it has an effect on corporeal forms similar to what a kaleidoscope does to light? Messy.

Good use for bad rubbish, even if you have to put up with seeing his memories every time...

Since that area couldn't have any other defences within it... They'd have been destroyed by the effect.

Which means said signal could be very well-hidden from you.

Someone's having either a very bad time back there, or a very good one. :oops:

To be fair, it'd probably have fooled anyone without a Power Ring, I bet.

A rookie Weaponer, taking advantage of Kalmin's abandonment of his worksite?

Because of course there's a self-destruct. Probably something large and messy, I bet.

Huh. Marinated in fear. That sounds... Unpleasant.

Kalmin: A very poor one, of course.

Yeah, best to know what you're poking before you let it out of it's cage.

Let me guess: An Antimatter universe counterpart of someone you know? What are the odds?

Well, he's terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.

For shits and giggles, or for a specific reason?

To be fair, for a Weaponer, that's an entirely valid option...

...So, there's an Earth -14. What's their Earth 14 like, then? Or would that be the equivalent of their Anti-Matter Universe? o_O

Given previous experience with inter-polarity crossovers, I'm betting his entire body has Situs Inversus. That is, his body is a mirror image of a 'normal' human's - Heart on the right, that sort of thing.

Ah, he's not gone bye-bye any more. Just remember, if he asks if you're a god... Say 'Yes.' :D

It wouldn't be the first time you've encountered someone cut off from the other Lights. Remember Sally Sonic?

...The only ones alive, anyway.

Might need to be a bit more commanding to break through that thick shell of fear, OL...

...If you're lucky, you can prevent him being acquired by Volthoom's Ring...

Huh. There's a turn-up for the books. I wonder if this universe has an active Crime Syndicate (and Joe 'Power Ring' Harrolds here was lost in space) or if it's earlier in their Earth's timeline. Either is entirely possible, given the funky inter-universal timelines... I mean, how many times did the Earth-1 Justice League have a 'first encounter' with alternate, evil Earths? Even accounting for Crises rewriting history?

The crypt is built into the stone of the mountain...
    ...punches through its weak armour and cuts off its power supply.

6. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Crime Syndicate Power Ring. Interesting.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Caerwen like this.
  7. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Looked him up and man there is just a slew of retconning as they can't seem to quite figure out this guy's personality or even how his ring functions.

But he's a villain for one of the versions of the Crime Syndicate, and the Antimatter counterpart to Hal Jordan.

And either his power ring is cursed and causes him both physical and mental anguish when he uses it, with the users generally tricking other people into taking it, or it isn't cursed but is still something separate from the Green Lanterns and the Guardians.

The cursed version of the character is kind of a weak willed little bitch, but the not-cursed version apparently has such overwhelming levels of willpower that he was able to use his lantern itself as a weapon instead of just his ring. A feat which is considered "impossible" for Green Lanterns to achieve. (I guess that would be a raw power thing.)

Cuchulin, Ardy, Lord Ernest and 2 others like this.
  8. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Who was this? I think the anti-green version ended up with a golden ring. Was it him?

PDV and Ardy like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    No, that version of Power Ring is just called Harold Jordan.

mastermenthe, Ardy, Wheenesss and 5 others like this.
  10. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

I’m a bit confused. I thought Earth Negative 14 was the main Crime Syndicate universe of this fic, not Earth Negative 16? Or is that a typo? When has Paul been to an antimatter universe?

11. Mr Zoat

The people from -14 deliberately avoided 14 because they'd already fought them.
    When he picked up Kalmin, though he didn't go anywhere near their Earth.

12. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

I thought -14 had fought Earth 12’s Justice League.

So you’re going with the idea that every Earth in this multiverse has its own Antimatter counterpart? That’s a neat concept.

13. Mr Zoat

Might have been. Might have been.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Do you mean to say that the Syndicate of Earth -14 has fought both the Justice League of Earth 14 and the Justice League of Earth 12?

15. Mr Zoat

I don't think I meant to say anything like that.

There's no obvious reason why they'd just raid Earth 16.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kalmin also did once mention abducting and experimenting on humans from Earth after Jordan showed up.

Hmm, seeing as he's been suffocated by fear removing him may potentially be like taking away the drugs f a particularly addicted user and can lead to serious complications.

Vorian and Prince Charon like this.
  17. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

There was the whole thing with Red Tornado's 'father'. Truggs had made him a construct and paul took him in, but never gave him orders. He went over to Tornado's place to check up on him. They found that the personality of the construct was effected by Paul's own desires. The construct mad scientist didn't have any great urge to do anything, but even the suggestion of writing down his work made him want to.

Paul liked having a cat, and knew cats were gonna act like cats. Teeki was very animated and fairly cat like, writ large.

The Praexis demons were absorbed after demoing their abilities and personality and stayed that way....until Pauls drives changes (there was a big where one of them did the 'food?' gag and got dope slapped by the others....and later on when he used them he actually kinda missed it when they stopped).

The Hellwraith got shifted around once he figured out how malleable it could be, but rarely did anything to show it's personality off. Where as the Evil Fate construct from that hell on earth world is coloured by the pre battle banter and the image of the Old Nabu luggage, and acts accordingly.

Aside from Truggs, mini satan here was likely a good contender for Pauls Nemesis, as he applied all the uplifted magical developments Paul started to make the world worse. He Really didn't like the guy, and really didn't like having him in his head....but yeeting him out front as his walking 10 trap detecting pole is a decent fate for him, since sending him home to hell isn't much punishment. A bit of back sass from being used as a pinata might be expected though.

18. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Ngl, I'd love to see that :D

Satanus: Pardon me, Master, but could you not constantly use me as a glorified sandbag.

Paul: Your request is acknowledged, Lantern Thorton, but no. Now, do you mind making yourself useful and checking this hallway for boobytraps?

Satanus*sighing*: Very well, Master.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

, instead of ;

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  20. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Sorry, was doing a reread and thought of this:
    How much technological pilfering have the Tau had him doing?

Because ring FTL, ring scans and the occasional covert assimilation of a tech priest to become a construct should be able to copy most of the imperium's tech base in at least not too long.
    And from there it should be possible to track down imperial records of other races, and pilfer tech from those races that are more advanced than the imperium in a narrow specialty.
    Or at least give Tau scientists a lot more to go on in reverse engineering attempts/inspiration for their own designs.

And if he could take an apothecary and salvage some geneseed, they could copy the space marine implants. Though that'd be something to leave for last, as it would probably be hard to hide and provocative of crusades.

Or is this interview going to bring up the idea of using him for that kind of stuff/longer-ranged diplomacy?

NightmareWarden and Caerwen like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Reminder that every single Imperium database is warded and that Power Rings can't access warded systems.

Second reminder, Imperium systems are filled with AI and Scrap Code that without Author Ex Machina would destroy his ring if he actually tried to access them.

Third reminder, if he starts Assimilating humans he's likely to get a Culexus sent after him... At which point he dies...

22. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    12:56 GMT

"Thank you."

So, either the local version of Harold Jordan, or… I mean, Qward's had access to parallel universes for decades at least. He could have come from just about anywhere-.

Jade makes a small jerking motion with her head, and I take my hand off the intercom.

"Am I supposed to pretend that I don't know who Harold Jordan is, or can we have a sensible conversation?"

"It's probably best that you pretend when you're back on Earth."

"Neither of us detected any spaceships anywhere on this planet, or any residue from one flying in."

"There's no interdiction system up. If they knew the area, there's no reason why they couldn't fly right up to the atmosphere."

"Or a yellow power ring."

She's right. All this yellow light, there's a good chance that I wouldn't be able to distinguish between the planet and a ring's output.

"Yes. But this doesn't feel like Sinestro. He's intelligent, but he's not an expert scientist. He was an archaeologist before he joined the Green Lantern Corps, and he certainly didn't have time for getting a second doctorate afterwards."

"He could have gone back to school after he left."

"Yes, but this is Qwardian equipment. They sell weapons, not the tools to make weapons."

"Varnathon was happy selling to aliens. And Sinestro was the reason why Kalmin lost his job."

"You think they were in touch beforehand?"

"Sinestro wants a Lantern Corps… Or at least some minions with power rings. Kalmin hasn't made another yellow ring since the one he made Sinestro."

"Varnathon could barely make qwa-matter."

"He had all of Kalmin's records and Kalmin's apprentices. He wouldn't need to make the rings himself. And we haven't seen any evidence that Sinestro has extra power rings yet. He might just be trying to learn to make them himself."

And the knowledge that I can make power rings is relatively common amongst N.E.M.O. personnel. Not sure how many people know in N.E.M.O.-affiliated space, but I doubt that it would be hard for Sinestro to find out. Or maybe he decided that he could do it after watching Kalmin. Here-.

He and Arin married after he joined the Green Lantern Corps, when he was well into his middle years. And given that Green Lantern medical aid isn't anything like as good as you might expect, I imagine that he's feeling his old injuries. Korugari tend to live a little longer than humans, but not by much. Sinestro's an old man. Learning a new trick that big..?

"Maybe, but I.. don't think it's likely."

Though I suppose there's an easy way to find out. I activate the intercom once more.

"Can you tell me who put you in there?"

Mr. Harrolds is sitting up a little. He's still clearly not happy with his situation, but that suggests that we're going to get a more helpful answer this time.

"BaldChick. Big… Robot eyes, like a bug."

Qwardian, but that doesn't exactly narrow it down.

"Did she give you a name?"

"H-human test meat."

Um. "I meant, did she tell you her name?"

"No. No."

"Are you from Earth?"

"Yeah. W-why?"

"Well, we need some information from you, but afterwards we're happy to take you back."

"H-happy?"

"Um. Well, I do feel mildly uplifted when I help someone do something they couldn't have done for themselves, so-."

"Why?"

I'm.. puzzled by the sheer bewilderment in his-. Oh. It's one of those negative Earths.

"Troop instinct. Most people get positive feedback from being around other happy people."

"You're..? You mean, you're Human?"

Right, Jade and I are both wearing all-encompassing armour. He can't see our faces.

"Yes, from a parallel universe. This is ar-. Mour."

Wait.

I take a hologram projector out of subspace, and use it to project an image of Kalmin's female students.

"Was it one of these?"

"Ah..?"

His eyes jump from the image to me, back and forth. Why-?

He's trying to work out the 'right' answer.

"The right answer is an accurate answer. It's either one of them or it isn't, and I need to know either way."

" No." He braces himself for my wrath, but I don't respond. After a moment he collects himself. "They look similar. I guess they're the same species. It's the same… Same technology."

I send the projector back into subspace.

"Did the woman who put you here use a ring at any point?"

"Use..? What?"

"A ring. A small glowing ring."

"Ah… No. I didn't.. see one."

"Did she say what she was doing with you in here?"

"Something about… Learning to control absolute fear. I'm… I'm feeling better… Now."

"Yes, I turned off the machine."

"She… She said not to do that."

"Did she say why?" He shakes his head. "Then I won't worry until something catches fire. Let me just break you out."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  23. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

So last we got to see LePaul hadn't figured out creating a proper power ring (not a construct in the shape of a power ring). The only time we saw him do anything like that was retrieving Larfleeze's ring from the Honden after it was destroyed.

Ardy, Wheenesss, Mecrazyfang and 5 others like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Not all that much. Without the rest of the technology web, capturing a particular thing isn't all that useful. Similarly, the general state of ignorance in the Imperium means that capturing an individual might not be all that useful.

Silverbladestar, Bolo, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Say

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He can make lanterns, though, that's a good first step.

Both Alan and Larfleeze made their own rings once they got a lantern in the comics.

Not that you'd know that in this fic since Zoat apparently really loves the "Alan is using a broken GLC" thing that is true in YJ according to Word of God.

Alan's ring, in the comics, is a
    [​IMG]
    As in a green lantern on a ring.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Doccer and 8 others like this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

But why go to that much effort when they have a simple Earth close at hand? Especially for a test subject. Hell, if they were feeling particularly sassy, it could well be a clone, with the setup an attempt to forge a soul out of pure Fear.

Because of course she knows. It's not like the League of Shadows wouldn't have found out the League's secret identities even before the whole New Year's mind control thing. :rolleyes:

It's probably not something they needed to constantly monitor, I guess? I mean, if the bio-monitor suit he's wearing includes an intravenous nutrient feed... He'd probably feel terrible not having eaten or drunk anything for however long, but he wouldn't die from it.

Or a long-range teleporter. To put it simply, there's too much planet to search, I suppose.

And Ring Learning isn't nearly as effective as learning it the old-fashioned way, of course.

Why let their customers make their own? That'd undercut their business, after all...

Besides for the original commission, you mean?

...That's what under-graduates are for. :rolleyes: Just good business, you know.

Not that your rings are much good. If that Lantern you made way back when was any indicator, at least...

It's not the years that gets you, after all. It's the mileage. And Sinestro's got a lot of miles on his clock...

Certainly easier than conjecturing all the live-long-day...

Lysis, most likely, then. She did the job for the Renegade in that timeline, after all. Makes sense that she'd have been working from known principles here.

"I don't talk to test subjects. It contaminates the data."

I doubt she'd leave a business card.

Since, you know, so many aliens resemble humans to some degree...

...Though I suspect he wouldn't be able to quote which Earth. Then again, it's a matter of scanning vibrational frequencies, right?

It probably has been a while since Joey here has felt happy, I suppose...

'Cui Bono?' He's probably confused why you aren't asking for payment up-front for helping him, or something like that.

As hard as it is to believe, yes...

Still, the protection probably outweighs the social penalties of looking like Robby the Robot's orange-flavoured cousin...

Oooh, good idea. You have no idea how long ago he was shoved in here, right? Not like there's a clock in there for him.

...Not being racist, but most Quardians do look alike from a distance...

Because he's not sure what the wrong answer will result in, of course.

Okay. Most likely Lysis, then.

To be fair, this universe likely hasn't got a Lantern Corps of any colour (Sinestro's work notwithstanding...)

...So he's probably never heard of a Power Ring.

Even if it was only in a gloating monologue? Do feel free to leave out any maniacal laughter.

About what they expected, then.

...Oh, dear. Best be quick, then. I get the feeling this was something of a safety valve...

Turning the machine off is bad, eh? :confused: I have to wonder if there's a good reason why, or if it was a psychological thing to make him want to stay in there and unwilling to stop the 'treatment'... And there's still the question of whether 'she' is aware of their interference in her little experiment. Assuming she's even still alive, given the recent difficulties Qward has undergone...

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... There's a lot of stuff off in this chapter...

29. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I was going to mention the jokaero, but... has anyone (in universe) hypothesized that P'ol's ring might be jokaero tech? Hyper-advanced, miniaturized, ring based technology... and he's even orange.

Apologies if this got brought up after, like, the first appearance of that alt. I did try searching the thread, and didn't see any results.

30. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Didn't he think about making a new ring and realise it would take months at "maximum sustained avarice levels" according to the ring he woke up with? Or was that power batteries/lanterns?

Vorian, Cuchulin, c3qo and 2 others like this.