1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

21st January 2013
    17:49 GMT

"How did this happen?"

I look down at the smouldering world beneath me. Sereaven is… Cooked. Barring Controller involvement, the world is now uninhabitable.

"A reserve fleet, Illustres." The senior surviving L.E.G.I.O.N. officer pulls his forelegs into his body in a show of shame and guilt. "With a hunting pack of Scarab Warriors. We were outgunned, and the Lanterns were overwhelmed. I only survived because I was on patrol on the opposite side of the system."

"But how did they get close enough-?"

"A boom tube."

Oh dear.

"Their own, or did Grayven open it for them?"

"I did not see. We were at the wrong angle, and our sensors-."

"It's fine."

Or, rather, it's not. Looks like the Reach have decided that now is the time to take this seriously. And with Grayven not running interference and forcing them to keep a lot of their navy to their inner systems…

"Link up with the closest L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet and request new orders. There's no reason to stay here when there's nothing to hold. Or rescue."

"Yes, Illustres."

I find myself… Looking at exactly where the egg bunker for the north western continent was. The place I-.

My ring blinks, though there is no attempt at conversation as a set of coordinates appear in my consciousness. A heartbeat and I'm there, already too late as Reach dreadnoughts obliterate the L.E.G.I.O.N. capital ships with-.

A purple beam lashes out from a Reach battleship, striking a Lantern who had been dogfighting with three Scarab Warriors and… Completely annihilating them. They're a small and agile target, how did it-?

That Scarab, they're carrying a target designator. They aim it and fire and the battleship weapon fires where it's told to. The weapon is new, and appears to work like a phaser array: able to fire in any direction without build-up.

Good design.

Thaumically dead system, so there's no point in letting Colin out.

Construct railguns and cold guns appear around me, crumbler rounds blasting out and cold beams strobing across the intervening space. The closest battleship shudders as my attack hits home-.

BOOM!

A boom tube opens directly behind it, my shots being intercepted and…

Wait.

That's… Not how boom tubes w-.

"Illustres!" A Lantern I don't immediately recognise flies up to me. "We're getting slaughtered and they've broken through! What do we do?!"

"Watch my back as I remove these ships."

And don't think I didn't notice that. My last clear memory was Parallax 'returning to his home planet' after identifying that I was afraid of failing to live up to my obligations. A being of Parallax's power should be more than capable of influencing my mind, and-. I didn't step out. I just appeared at my new location, because Parallax can't cope with the Honden of Avarice.

Looks like realising that doesn't get me out. I'm a little worried about what I'm actually doing while this is going on, but… My guess is that I'm still back on that planet and this is a pure illusion. Parallax likes fear, not other forms of emotional damage.

So I'll go along with it, because completely accurate images of my friends, allies and dependents dying en masse aren't things I particularly want to see because Parallax was completely right about that. I fly towards the Reach fleet, construct shield ahead of me and guns still firing. I doubt that anything here can actually kill me, but I imagine that a low level fear of being powerless to affect the universe would allow them to score crippling hits. I need to watch out for-.

I spot a tiny shift in stellar debris clouds and I roll and fire. A purple energy beam punches through where I was a moment ago just as the stealthy Scarab Warrior freezes and then shatters.

Okay, so why was I allowed to-?

I turn my head aside as the remains of the Lantern who requested my direction drifts away, the beam having punched through their defences and vaporised most of their lower body along with their ring hand, leaving their fear-chilled face staring at me.

Playing off my sense of responsibility, or trying to personalise the tragedy unfolding in front of me? Irrelevant. Other than giving Parallax the idea that I'm a psychopath, I can't have an emotional response to something I know perfectly well isn't happening.

Realising hasn't freed me. What might? Overcoming my own fear, maybe. But I think it would require enlightenment-type overcoming. And honestly I don't think stopping being at least a bit afraid of making a mess of things would be a good idea. Quite aside from the fact that I'd end up with a tendency to look down on the burning remains of a world I failed to save and shrug 'Oh well, plenty of other worlds', I know that other people started seeing me as a little inhuman after I attained avarice enlightenment. Manage a second form and I'll probably be unrecognisable.

Of course, if Parallax can't make me think that I've stepped out, that should work.

I finally get an angle to another battleship and open fire, breaking its shield and shutting down its main drive system. No boom tube defence, so perhaps Parallax is trying to keep it plausible. I look to the fore, to see where the Reach Fleet is actually going-. Tillettit, because Parallax is trying to show me the death of worlds in which I have an emotional investment.

Enough of this.

We step out, the comforting structures of the Honden of Avarice surrounding us at once. A little disconcerting as these desires belong to a people long since dead, but their place here is as if they were still alive. We take a moment to try to feel the desires of the Weaponer, but… There is nothing immediately obvious as belonging to her. With a better lead it should be possible to find a thread to follow, but in the presence of so much yellow light…

Mildly frustrating, but-. Jade! We

step back in, the yellow-washed mountainside of the village appearing in my visual field for a moment before the image of a burning world reasserts itself.

"Clarissi to Illustres. Where were you?!"

I wave the image away.

"I know this isn't real. You're not going to make me afraid like this."

We step out again, but just for a moment before

reappearing on the mountainside.

"You see? We can't play with each other. You can't make me afraid with illusions."

Harrolds is glowering at me, a construct… A giant construct pseudo insectoid standing behind him. Parallax's default form.

"No. We don’t suppose that we can."

He glows brilliantly for a moment-

Anti-matter transition-

-and then vanishes.

-detected.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Uh oh. Parallax and the Ophidian going at each other?

Well, at least it's only a negative universe that will get vaporised.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So, since LePaul can't follow him with the Greedport the question begs how many Nemo planets Parallax will destroy before LePaul is able to catch up.

And given this whole thing is LePaul's fault, it better be at least one.

4. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Note what the ring reports at the end.

AM Parralax just transited to the positve-matter universe...

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Are we sure about that?

Lord Ernest and moralrelativity like this.
  6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...That's rather sudden. Suspiciously sudden, in fact. The timestamp suggests it's been over a day, yet he didn't cover any of the intervening time in his log? No comforting Jade after her encounter with Fear itself? :cool: No way is this real.

A lone ship surviving to tell the tale? Not really the Reach's methods, is it? Never mind glassing a planet thy had been trying to convert.

Harralax: Oh, yes, that's the stuff... x3

Other side of the system and all. The big bug's not being subtle, are they?

Which makes it all the more odd that they seem to be working together all of a sudden. Something OL was concerned about, of course.

Coldly logical. Your best defence against Fear...

Oh, come on, now, Harralax. That smash-cut scene change wasn't even subtle.

Well, that brings a new immediacy to 'Danger Close!', doesn't it? :rolleyes:

No point giving the bug any ideas. Not that they can pull off Identity Theft.

Ah, trying the 'everything-proof shield', huh? Like a child.

Yep. One too many inconsistencies...

Heh. If only you could be that confident in front of an actual Reach fleet yet.

Let's hope you don't have to go to the extent you did in the no-win-scenario training exercise...

After all, they don't want you dead. They need you scared...

Because hurting you isn't the only way to make you afraid...

Yeah, I suspect his little song of fear isn't very entertaining yet.

Especially in a second 'hot' emotion. Gaining Hope or Compassion Enlightenment would probably balance you out... :p Though I can't imagine Mr Zoat wanting to try to render dual Enlightement in text. Different colours of opening and closing quotes? Sounds like a nightmare. :confused:

Trying to make you feel afraid of losing what's yours. How pedestrian.

Not gonna find her without more clues, huh? 'Wanting some manner of Spectrum-based weapon' is probably too vague a lead.

Welp. As long as he's corporeal, Harralax can affect him, huh? But he can't do much from the Honden...

That's probably just getting annoying now, huh?

And each time he does that, it's probably like a slap in Harralax's face...

Ah, hello there, giant space locust of Fear. So they are at least the same as canon in that respect.

...Oh, that can't be good.

Aw, dangit. He pulled a 19-63.

Crap. Wrong thing to say, OL. Looks like Harralax is going to go play with the real thing. Get Jade up and about and get after them, then, before they break something important. I do find it amusing, though, that Parrallax is now hyper-focused on messing with you, instead of the usual obsession with Hal Jordan... The joy of being the protagonist.

7. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

Is there one Elemental of Fear in total or one for each universe? If each universe has a seperate one then there are now 2 in Paul's home universe.

8. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

"Baring" to "Barring".

"in a show of"

9. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Didn't they have tech that blocks parallel teleportation after Blue Paul and friends visit?

Silveraith likes this.
  10. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

It's not completely comprehensive and this is the antimatter version of Earth 16 (I think at least) so it's either getting around the block by virtue of being a Emotional Entity or the block is for parallel not antimatter universes.

11. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

It blocks the specific form that Blue and his group used.
    I think Paul was hesitant to call upon his Ophidian connection when he was in an alternate parallel on the possibility that he would get in contact with the local variant rather then the one from his parallel.
    Edit: Although he seems to have gotten over that fear.

Its also not completely clear if its one Emotional Embodiment per universe set (Say, Universe 14 and Anti-Universe 14 share an Entity).

12. thebishop8

Or it only blocks it around Earth. It would be a little ridiculous for travel to be blocked across the whole universe.

13. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Paul: "Look, you can't make me afraid using fake things"

Harrolds: "So I should do it for real, got it, killing your friends brb"

Paul: "Wait no"

Maybe telling the incarnation of fear that is desperately trying to make you afraid that the only way to make you afraid is by *actually* doing all the terrible shit it was *pretending* to do was not the brightest move to make, who knew. :V

14. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I don't know I think that would probably make Paul more balanced and besides Paul just knows the source of his desire and why he has them he can't lie to himself about why doing something, So fear enlightenment probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Is Doctor Mist technically what we would get if Paul enlightened all his emotions?

boo600 and Sockmonkey like this.
  15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

IRCC The New 52, there was one for each universe for the Relic storyline, and since we know how much Zoat likes the New 52, it is the likely answer!

Otto von Saurion and Xmaster3000 like this.
  16. thebishop8

Nah, once Paul realized it was an illusion, it was too late. Parralax would have realized sooner or later that illusions weren't enough.

Though I wonder...Is Parralax going to Earth? Paul specifically didn't call on the Ophidian there because he didn't want to risk infecting an entity with Anti-Life.

17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

If that's why, then given that Earth is where the Life Entity is, that's a concern that he should already have.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  18. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I have a question Mr Zoat: How do the Emotion Entities work with regard to the positive/negative universe pairs? Is there an Ophidian, Ion, Parallax and so on in each, meaning that this was probably the Anti-Parallax or something? Or do the Entities bridge the matter-antimatter gap and travel through it freely? Or do the antimatter universes (or at least -16) simply not have Emotional Entities for some reason or another?

19. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm going to tentatively say that each positive/negative pairing shares one.

20. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Unless and until Paul manages all seven color/emotional enlightenments, then combines what he's learned and understands to finally achieve Life Enlightenment.

Ngamer11 and Xmaster3000 like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well if he goes there and is affected by it then he may die and there's one less threat.

Granted that would probably have a lot of negative consequences for everyone, like people suddenly not being afraid of jumping into a fire.

Or maybe he can overcome it, but then Earth has a new problem to deal with.

He could also destroy the planet without getting too close.

Paulphidian was able to move the moon with his finger, so the new guy could just have the moon crash into Earth.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    kerleth, Ngamer11 and Xmaster3000 like this.
  22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

This guy doesn’t have a ring whereas Paragon did. Not sure if that makes a difference at all, but it might.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  23. boo600

boo600 Welp

Hello.

Mr. Zoat has already said that that basically won’t happen; he compared Life Enlightenment to some ridiculously difficult video game achievements. It’s not something that you ‘just need to know about,’ it’s the Infinity +1 Sword. If you aren’t lantern Jesus (Kyle Rayner, I think?), it’s not worth your while - unless you’re an ancient super mage who acted as a peeping Tom to the Life Entity, a la Balewa.

Still, fear enlightenment wouldn’t remove his fears, just increase his awareness of them and aid in his control of fear mindstates.
    That being said, Compassion is the ‘cold’ emotion that complements and opposes Avarice. If Paul was going for a Dual Enlightenment, I’d assume that (given the choice) Indigo would be optimal, for balancing him out and empowering him. The power to teleport farther doesn’t help him much (unless he’s trying to go to a place without people quickly, since he can only Greediport to beings with desires), but the ability to use all the colors would probably help with the inhumanity.

Vorian, Frank Iannetta, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  24. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

Compassion would also boost his stealth, since Indigo Lanterns are nearly undetectable if they don't want to be noticed.

boo600 likes this.
  25. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Well. Not as calm as we thought. Parallax wants to taste fears... he should go to Apokalypse

26. xSieg

xSieg Making the rounds.

Zoat's gonna suffer enough with Raker Qarrigat on the Renegade timeline and he only uses two differently colored rings

Ardy, Ngamer11 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

LePaul has the common sense of a Goldfish.

This is known.

Bud-E likes this.
  28. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Mr Zoat actually plan for him gaining Fear Enlightenment with Siskin, realize he’d have to do extra colored qoutes, and say fuck that?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  29. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Parallax's host explicitly doesn't have a ring but was able to trap Paul in an illusion.
    And then there's the fact that Paul thought to himself somewhere earlier that Parallax has a tendency to take hosts without rings.

30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Jaaaaaade? Are you still here, or have you been kidnapped to serve as a fear-dispensing juice box?