1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I don't think I did. I may have joked about it.

2. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Can you gain more than 1 emotional enlightenment? Dr Mist meditated and jumped right to White Enlightenment. Not sure if the other way os to step by step gain the others or if that's impossible.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Way back in the day (around the Terror Thing stuff I think?) Zoat mentioned that becoming Enlightened to one part of The Glow makes it a lot harder to do the same for others. I don't think he said it was totally impossible, but it gets harder as you go presumably and would require a whole lot of effort most people probably wouldn't care enough to go for.

Vorian, Wheenesss, Windona and 2 others like this.
  4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Well, yeah, I’m not saying he’s powerless without a ring. Obviously he’s still very strong. I’m just saying that possibly he’s somewhat weaker than he otherwise might be due to lacking a ring.
    Or maybe he’s not. I was just stating a possibility. For all I know he’s stronger without a ring.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think he needs it to do sone serious damage.

That may not be a good place for that.

Seeing as it's flooded in Anti-Life, it's population may not be even capable of feeling fear, so not much music there.

The inhabited worlds near Apokolips may provide him with fear since the people on those worlds would presumably always be afraid of being destroyed or enslaved by Apokolips.

Windona, boo600 and Chaoswind like this.
  6. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I don't think the presence or lack of Power Ring makes a difference for an emotional entity. They essentially have all the power available to their electromagnetic spectrum, the only difference would be the lack AI, but they can manipulate The Glow directly and affect reality with it however they want.

Whatever construct, technique or effect they want to achieve they just directly use their power for it, they don't need a ring to channel it, nor a lantern to recharge it, etc. In fact, I think the Ophidian said something similar while fused with Paul way back when.

Chaoswind likes this.
  7. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Parallax going to universe 16 to scare Paul has one possible good outcome and that is Parallax going to Earth 16 to wreck it only to find it fucked over by the anti life.

Only to get pissed that anti life has taken the light of fear off so many people.

With Parallax, Ion, Ophidian that is three embodiments, with the life entity being already on earth and thus possibly being poked by their combined efforts. Alan could probably get Adara on board and Dame Carol could maybe get the predator, so all that are left to super charge the local humans would be the butcher and the octopus thing... IE red and violet.

Humanity being restored with less anger and compassion could be a problem, but that is better than getting fucked by the anti life.

8. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Paul mentioned to Malvolio that when he was fused with the Ophidian, they didn't have to care about ring charge, but that his assumption was that that was the result of the Ophidian. This was part of their conversation about how Malvolio doesn't have a personal lantern, just the Secondary Green Central Battery.

Ardy and boo600 like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

Ring, time.

20th January 2013
    18:19 GMT

Ugh.

General broadcast.

"Jade?!"

Scan everything.

Compliance.

The air around me turns orange as scanners and sensors of every type in my database appears, the air seeming to hum with a dozen types of energetic emissions.

And message Dox.

Compliance.

Okay, I didn't move while I was here. Jade has moved, and I've got no idea-.

My ring shimmers. Darn-.

"Answer."

A face-. That's not Dox. That's Weaponer Lysis.

"I see that my test subject has left. Are you still in possession of your mental faculties?"

"Yes. What are you doing here?"

"Did you know that your species has a remarkable facility for surviving emotional stress?"

"I haven't seen research that demonstrates that. And having access to a wealth of human psychiatric literature, I-."

"You deform but you don't crack. If my former master had tried something like this on Earth it would never have worked."

I don't remember anything about her working with Sinestro in the comics, but I don't think they continued the characters from the Earth 2 series into the War of Light era.

"Shouldn't you be on Qward? As a Council-Member-."

"I was a Council-Member, but that's become an empty position now. Q’ardajin civilisation has collapsed. If I want to restore Qward then I need something new and powerful."

"Where's Jade?"

"In a spatial vacuole. I imagine that her armour has life-preservation systems, so the lack of fresh air won't be a problem so long as she isn't troubled by not being able to move. But as I said, your species are psychologically resilient."

I can sense spatial vacuoles, but she will probably notice and certainly will have a way to kill Jade if I don't play along.

"Are you simply tormenting me, or-?"

"Of course I'm not! You are the one who unleashed the Parallax Entity on the universe!"

"You had him in a box. I had no idea Parallax had a-."

"It didn't, fool! I was endeavouring to lure it here in a controlled environment so that I could use it to create new power rings!"

Her head jerks as she starts to rant. I think she's pacing.

"And it didn't work! A world with fear in the air and a strong-willing human to break, and nothing happened! And then you were here for less than a day-tenth and this happened." She steadies herself and stares at me. "What did you say to him?"

"Nothing much. Just a little about how fear works. As far as I can tell, once he had the space to organise his thoughts, he attained enlightenment. And then Parallax entered him. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was on or watching this planet already. I think Mister Harrolds just needed a little time alone in his own head to achieve that result."

"And now I have to wait until Parallax burns out its host and then hunt it down again."

"Ah, what? Why wouldn't it just stay in its current host?"

"Mortal flesh is a poor container for an Entity. Without a ring to focus its power, the flesh will fall apart in a few tenths."

"For a possession?"

"Yes.""What?"

"I merged with the Avarice Entity a while ago, and I showed no sign of physical decay at the end of it. Merged. I wasn't possessed."

"He still has his original motivations?"

"Partially. He locked my mind in an illusion to try and make me feel fear. I broke out. I suspect that he's going to the matter universe to make it happen for real."

"That-. Why does he care about you?"

"I don't know. A point of comparison, perhaps? Merging with Entities isn't something that happens very often. But that isn't important."

"Oh?"

"You want Parallax contained somewhere where you can use it to make more rings. I want Parallax out of the way and not trying to do things that will terrify me, on the grounds that it's going to set back my work immensely. I have no particular objection to you making rings, on the grounds that Qwardian society is too messed up to use them in a concerted fashion."

She stares at me for a moment.

"What do you suggest?"

"Do you have a way to contain Parallax?"

"I… Might. But if what you say about its relationship with the host is true, it would be easier for me to disrupt that bond."

"Good. And since our objectives don't contradict each other, what do you say to working together? If you object to the fact that I'm an alien, you can just coordinate with Kalmin. The Maltusians have contained Entities before. This is doable."

"I will keep your aide as collateral."

"Don’t be ridiculous. I've already sent a report home. Physicist-Lanterns will be sent to pick her up, and you'll need your full concentration on handling Parallax and making sure that we're not betraying you. And of course if I don't know that she's safe then I'll be focusing on other things as well."

"True. And you want nothing else?"

"I need to borrow a yellow ring, afterwards. Kalmin refuses to make one until I give him Sinestro's head, and…" I look around. "Between the two of them, I'm not sure that Sinestro's worse, morally speaking."

"Borrow?"

"I'd prefer to own it, but I only really need it for a little while."

"I will agree, in exchange for ring telemetry. I want test data."

"And I'm happy to supply it. Isn't it amazing what can happen when you negotiate rather than limiting yourself to threats?"

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  10. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

Something, something, Jolly Cooperation.

11. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

'every type in my'?

Extra space.

'A point'

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This is like that Simpson's episode where they keep trying to fix the invasive animal problem by bringing in worse and worse animals.

LePaul... Sometimes you just need to take the L and move on...

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm always amused when people ask how Paul was able to achieve something someone else thought impossible or personally failed to accomplish.

That should say 'result'.

That should say 'container'. And I think the second correction should be capitalized. Also, Lysis really doesn't know how compatible humans are with the Embodiments.

That should say 'say'.

I'm guessing Lysis isn't used to working with competent non-Qwardians?

Teamwork makes the dream work. Now I'm curious as to how Paul will get the other kinds of power rings.

14. Lothlo

Lothlo Not too sore, are you?

(on the next arc, Darkest Night)
    Paul: As I said before, Darkseid, we both have a common enemy. If we don't stop The Black Lanterns they will bring forthward an universe empty of life, with nothing to rule over. You can already see your hosts of parademons being subsumed unto their army.

15. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

As long as Jade is relatively safe, Paul is happy.

If Jade is harmed. Paul will start taking lessons from the Diplomatic Handbook of Borjigin.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Only about six hours lost. Not too bad, then. On the other hand, a motivated Entity with a mortal partner can do a lot of damage in that time. OL's going to have to move fast to catch up to them.

But first: Priorities! :p

Naturally, it recognises that he's being a little hyperbolic, and begins scanning from the local area out, I expect...

No doubt involving a concise summary of what happened, and an 'oops' emoticon? :oops:

Crap, someone ran off with her? But not Harrallax. What would they need her for, after all?

And here comes the "What the hell did you do this time?" rant from either Dox or Hinon...
    OL: o_O "Did you... Just express Rage through an Orange Power Ring?"

And Lysis' involvement confirmed! Not that it was a stretch.

Surviving, yes. Enjoying their life afterwards, not so much... :(

If he'd tried it on Earth, the local cape community would have risen up to kick his arse. In this universe's case, for trying to muscle in on their cushy operations. :p

Hooray for cosmic retcons... :rolleyes:

Oh, gee, Qward's having a little bit of a civil war? Good for you. :p

Hell, she'll probably do some ninja meditation thing once she realises what's going on.

Funny, he wasn't the one marinating a perfectly suitable human host in fear for who knows how long... o_O

...Oh, yes, that would work so well. I suspect the actual result would be Parallax going 'Wut? Lulz no', eating her soul and fucking off.

Well, he just... OL'd at him for a few minutes. Honestly, you've met OL, how did you not expect something like this when he turned up? :rolleyes:

...Ah. Evidently you have different ideas about how this sort of thing goes, do you?

Sounds... Plausible. And logical, really. Mere flesh is not really designed to act as a lens for one seventh of the universe's emotional energy.

...Sadly, Humans have quite the advantage in that respect. Comes from being soaked in the Life Entity's energies.

Sharpened quite aggressively, but it seems so.

...Maybe he thinks of OL as a rival? I mean, OL basically does hold the Ophidian's heart...

Let's see: In the time you've been here: You and the Ophidian... Guy and Ion... And now Parallax and Not!Hal Jordan... I'd say that's abnormally frequent. :D

...And if OL should happen to be able to arrange a leasing contract for those Rings between Qward and NEMO... Well, who'll argue?

Seems kind of foolhardy to go into this without some options, yes...

...I expect Kalmin will have questions. :mad: Once he calms down and stops smashing things. I expect his initial expletive will be audible in orbit. :p

And believe me, you want him focused on what you need, not what he wants..

Ha! Indeed. After all, Sinestro's not a member of an omnicidal society of, well... Weaponers.

Aw, it took him a while, but he'll finally match the Renegade's Rings. x3

I bet Lysis is half-wondering if he did something to make her... Agreeable to his requests.

Ah, jolly co-operation wins out again. Well, half-heartedly jolly at the threat of annihilation at the podomeres of the giant Fear bug. Because once they're done messing with OL, I don't expect Harallax wouldn't turn their attention to the Weaponer who 'imprisoned' their human half. And if they couldn't find her easily, then let her whole race suffer for her. So...

17. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

In the past, I’m pretty sure it was ‘q’ardajin’.
    For no particular reason, I’ve always loved the word ‘vacuole’. There’s just something about it.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ah, in no time at all he, Lysis and Parallax will be work colleagues.

Hanging out at the water cooler, talking about trips they will never take, dreading to go back to their cubicles, their lifes and souls slowly dissolving into grey nothingness...

The sheer, mind numbing horror of it all will teach even Parallax to fear

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch and Ngamer11 like this.
  20. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Soon Paul's going to have his own entourage of evil teammate weaponers.

Interesting how Hallalax went for bugging Paul first, instead of attacking Jordan Harrold's enemies. Paulphidian seemed to go after what Paul wanted without regard for anything else

Prince Charon, Bud-E and Doccer like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You aren't exactly a normal person to begin with.

Plus, the decay may take a lot of time to finish and you weren't merged with the Ophidian long enough for it to affect you.

I'm guessing the only way she acquires competent aliens is by kidnapping them.

The fear they have of dying a gruesome death probably makes their work a bit more difficult than normal.

Now I can't stop imagining him as being something like Colin Robinson.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  22. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Take the L by leaving Jade to die and leaving Earth consume by antilife? Weren't you the one saying Earth being consubed by antilife is more important than anything else?

boo600 likes this.
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Paul. This deal would give a qwardian data on Anti-Life. And on Darkseid, if he really is puppetting Bruno Mannheim.

24. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Does this not concern Paul at all? He's seen some ways for people to mess with his ability to summon best snek, now he's going to help someone that's not an ally come up with another way? Oh Paul...

boo600 and Lord Ernest like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is far from the first time that Paul has helped people that he shouldn't have helped and that will eventually bite him in the ass.

boo600 and Pez like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hinon/Dox: Bitch, I'm a genius! I do what I want and I like what I do!

They haven't known each other all that long, so she does not fully realize the full scope of his...thing.

She may have fought that no one is that stupid or weird.

Now she knows.

Plus the fact that said entity is a sadist probably doesn't help.

Probably those that do not trust the Qwardians to not screw them over, which is a possibility.

Paul has done some foolhardy things before.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

No, it will give Weaponer Lysis data on Parallax and Joseph Harrolds. It isn't an agreement to wider data sharing.

28. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Oh. I assumed the data she requested was regarding whatever Paul planned to do with the yellow ring.

Vorian likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Even if she did get data on that, at that point it hopefully would be 'an attack they've already beaten off'. If not, it's 'a weapon someone else already owns'.

Chojin Patriarch, Ngamer11 and Ardy like this.
  30. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I thought so too. Was that not what was implied at the end regarding telemetry data from the yellow ring he would get?

At the beginning I thought the Illustres was making time to find Lysis and greed-port to her to free Jade, not actually make a deal with a relatively unknown Weaponer whose motives and goal he can't actually be certain of. And Qward may be in shambles, but with the possibility that Sinestro may be working with Lysis, being totally uncaring of them getting an unlimited supply of power rings sounds like the coming of the War of Light.

Vorian and Prince Charon like this.