1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, why is he worried about that? Bo'ok and him are at most friends, right? Will that question his impartiality?

Also, do you have plans for this Paul to clash with imperials at one point? Him and his team forced to work with an Inquisitor, Paul spitting facts...would be hilarious :)

Caerwen likes this.
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

And (because the universe loves it narritivium) the Inqusitor is CIAPHIAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

P'Aul dressed just as he said he would earlier, eh? Formal robes, then. No doubt they do include a decent pair of trousers. Let's hope it makes a suitably good impression on the top Tau.

Honestly, if they can't mingle and share information in the most central leadership facilities in the Empire, then where could they?As for the clothes... Yes, I can see the tailors shuddering at preparing billions of outfits for various sizes and body shapes.

...So he is officially a 'rookie' cadet? Amusing.

I suspect subsequent rank increases will be quick. Given some of the things he deals with, he might need the higher authority.

Including the verbal kind, please. This is not a place to unleash your... Unique... Sense of humour.

Oh, he's already picturing P'Aul as a monkey, isn't he? Let's hope it doesn't drive him bananas.

Logical enough.

...Does she at least have a modesty cloth covering them, or is she staging a frontal assault on your eyes? :p

No doubt the council have been discussing them in depth while they waited.

Just a little more fancy and heavily decorated setting, eh?

Here, though, in the heart of the Empire... I suspect they need the reminder of who's in charge...

Not that they really need it, given P'Aul's Ring. Though it'd likely be bad form for him to sue it for anything more than simply interfacing with the desktop.

And someone, somewhere, is not going to have a fun day...

...Ah. Should they both be bowing, or...

...Or perhaps you count as window dressing, so to speak, being the lesser partner.

Well, for a start... Most of the demons they'd have encountered would have been monomaniacal aspects of their God. Slaughterers uninterested in talking. Seductors who found the Tau not that into them. Plaguebringers caught off guard by Tau medical science. Tricksters who find the Tau largely ignorant and uncarign of their plotting...

In other words: Trust, but verify. With extreme caution, and plenty of prejudice if things go bad.

...Much like some Pauls. Especially those with Orange Rings. Feeling a bit of kinship with them, then, P'Aul?

...Which raises the question of just how 'alive' those engrams are in the Warp. What with magical technology being an actual thing around here.

...Well, for a given amount of 'hostile'...

Oh, P'Aul definitely feeling a bit of kinship with Faultless, given that reasoning, eh?

And actual evidence would probably be locked up deep in inquisitorial databases. The kind that don't get passed around freely.

...Now, now. It might not be as bad as you think it is.

Well, this is off to a pleasant start. No-one's shouting, anyway... Not yet at least. Still, I foresee some of the questions being rather probing and uncomfortable. Let's just hope Bo'ohk doesn't end up putting his hoof in his mouth answering any of them. At least P'Aul's Ring can hide any signs of worry, like the sudden flop-sweat he might have broken out in at that last question.

kerleth, Vorian, BR549 and 10 others like this.
  4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

accept -> reject

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And you won't find any either.

Because extermination of hostile xenos races has been a thing since the Emperor set out to put humanity back together after the Eldar fucked the Men of Iron rebellion into existence.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Vaermina, that’s definitely not true. Extermination of xenos was definitely common in the Great Crusade, but it wasn’t near-mandatory like it is now. For example, when Fulgrim’s fleet met the Laer (Slaanesh worshipping aliens, though obviously the Imperials didn’t know what Slaanesh was at the time) it was considered as a serious option that they should make them a protectorate of the Imperium, because they were strong enough that it was believed it would take an unacceptably long time to conquer them, and they didn’t seem particularly hostile.
    The only reason they did get genocided in the end was that Fulgrim was a xenophobic asshole (although, of course, it was actually not a terrible decision given that they were Chaos worshippers).
    ‘have’

7. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Usually I'm against dipping into other Paul's because there's little investment beyond the initial interest... This is not one of those times.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct, because it's writted caste'saal.
    That's fine, I'm writing in English.
    No, he's refering to a location, like a temple or other sacred site. Those are far more common than living saints.

No, because they're not accepting it.
    Where?

9. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

"How can I put this delicately... How about this: What is the difference between my penis and a joke?"

".... I'm sorry?"

"Sometimes Aun'ul Bo'ohk can't take a joke."

10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Yeah. Imperial Protectorates are sometimes created if the Imperium judges a species to be enough of a non-threat to human interests to let them continue existing. Which generally means confining them to their homeworld or home system and never letting them leave.

But being granted the status of a Protectorate doesn't necessarily mean you won't get exterminated if someone feels like doing so. I don't recall the name, but there was this one species they created a protectorate for. They found out the members of this species could be "processed" into an anti-aging remedy that significantly extended your lifespan. But it also turned out that when this remedy started to wear off there was a pretty nasty "snap back", and that the more you used the remedy the shorter the duration before you'd need to take another dose.

So the Imperial officials exploiting the species to extend their lives decided to just keep processing them for as long as possible until the entire species was used up. This despite the fact that doing so was actually super illegal. With the penalty for doing so being death.

So even with a death penalty as punishment they still managed to harvest the entire damn species.

EDIT: Checked. They were called Adarnians.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  11. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Replacing ‘having’.
    It would become ‘questions I had on whether tau females have mammaries.’

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  12. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

The narrative says that it "answers the question".
    It didn't actually say whether the answer to the question was yes or no, so we still have no idea if Tau females have mammaries.

Vorian, Chojin Patriarch and Ardy like this.
  13. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Wait. Which Tau is P'ol trying to date? I thought it was the Fire Caste one.

Ardy likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The Fire Caste on is Kais, so no. He's trying to date Tsua'm.

15. Pez

Pez Spaceman

double 'if'

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Extermanitus isn't near mandatory now.

18. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Well, alright. I admit that was something of an exaggeration. Although I was referring to total genocide more generally, rather than specifically using Exterminatus to destroy planets.

19. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

So I just realized we’re coming up on WTR’s ten year anniversary! Any plans Zoat?

Prince Charon likes this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Drink. Cry. Wonder despairingly where the time has gone.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's not really near mandatory either.

The only species they tend to do that too are one's that are utterly horrible, relentlessly attack the Imperium, mess around with Daemons, or get corrupted by Chaos.

22. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I know exactly where the time has gone.
    Don't despair.
    It never existed.

23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Like I already said, I admit that was something of an exaggeration. The modern Imperium doesn’t have the resources to kill all xenos even if they wanted to.

Ardy likes this.
  24. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

irrelevant

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"meetings" I think, unless it can be a mass noun in British English?

I think you might have meant "proscribed" (forbidden) instead of "prescribed" (commanded). Stupid English words!

26. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    19:02 GMT

There's a thump-clatter as Hinon drops a large personal lantern shaped object on the floor next to me.

"Just… Why?"

"I had no idea that would attract Parallax. I'd have thought that giving Dame Carol the Star Sapphire was more likely to summon Predator, and that didn't happen."

"The Predator is firmly under Zamaron control."

"And I thought the Guardians had Parallax. Wasn't that part of why they let Larfleeze keep the Orange Light Fountain?"

"I thought that as well. And then I thought, 'if any man in the universe could break their prison by accident, who would it be?'."

"Sinestro? He's been using a yellow ring for a while, and he would have been told about the Entities when he was First Lantern."

She adopts a thoughtful expression.

"You think he's been planning this since he would have had access to Parallax's containment vessel? While he was still a serving Green Lantern?"

"I'm suggesting it as a possibility. I've got no real idea what draws Entities still in the wild to a particular location. It's a big universe."

"No, seven galaxies is not a big universe."

"An evasion? My Lady Controller, I thought better of you."

"They're usually perfectly content to exist within their… Honden, you call it? Because that's the view of the universe that they understand. Parallax moving to a place would flare that portion of the Honden, but the observable effect wouldn't be larger than those fears flaring for the people in the affected region."

"Or of the affected type."

"Yes, quite. Parallax was first brought into the material universe by Krona's experiment. Though, I… I would have done the same. At the time, such things were quite a curiosity."

"Did he bring it out just to study it?"

"Partially that. It was also… The few other intelligences that existed at the time were socially and technologically primitive. They were one of the few sophont beings around that had a power of any real significance. It was the first time we could talk to something that was… Not like us, but…"

"In your league."

"As it turned out, no, but yes. And as we learned more of their nature we were naturally disappointed. The Zamarons-. Proto-Zamarons, in particular. For them, love was community. Family. They didn't expect the Predator to be quite so possessive as it is."

"And since then?"

"The Ophidian was on Okaara. The Guardians kept Ion, and eventually moved it to the Green Central Power Battery once their Corps was established. The Proselyte travelled to a world that resonated with its colour and returned to its Honden. Parallax was kept contained by the Guardians due to its intensely malicious nature."

"The Butcher? Adara?"

"We rather lost track of them while containing Krona. We assumed that they copied the Proselyte, and given that we haven't seen them since that appears to be a reasonable conclusion."

"Nekron?"

"Oh, we know exactly where he is."

"Any advice on fighting Parallax?"

"Yes. It relishes fear, but it's not much given to physical aggression. It will fight and wound to make people afraid, but it won't want to have to work for a victory against someone who doesn't fear it."

"That's awkward, because I am afraid. There's a hugely powerful creature out there that wants to undo all my work, to ruin the lives of people I've helped just to make me afraid that it will keep going."

"Feeling fear will give it power. I suggest that you stop."

"That's the stupid thing. If Parallax just learned to take joy in little fears, there wouldn't be a problem. But if it rampages around slaughtering people so it can feel their fear as they die, it'll eventually run out."

"Logical, but wrong. You're underestimating the area involved. Even with a mere seven galaxies to work with, even destroying an inhabited world's worth of people each day, there would still be more than enough time for the population to replenish itself."

"I.. suppose that-."

Green flames flare into being besides me, spreading out to reveal a heavy wooden door construct. A moment later it opens and Lord Malvolio strides through, Lantern Priest a little behind him.

"Oh. Aren't you impressive."

Lord Malvolio looks at me for a moment, then turns towards Hinon, arms crossed. "What manner of mischief has this ungovernable Lantern wrought?"

"Thank you for answering, my lord. Events have conspired to bond the Fear Entity to a mortal man and he's planning on creating fear in me by threatening the worlds N.E.M.O. protects. I wouldn't ask you to fight the Reach with us; you have your own worlds to shepherd. But the Fear Entity is everyone's problem."

"Mine own fears are brought low and bound long since, unable to rise above their timorous and trembling station. Fear has its place, but not in the manner of a great and galloping beast, bringing rack and ruin as it runs. In this task, my blade is yours, 'til the brute is bested, beaten and banished."

"Thank you. Hinon, would it be possible to build a Yellow Light Fountain to-."

"No. That would take years of study at the very least, and it would need to be activated well away from Parallax. And I couldn't do it in any case. All this will do-" She indicates her lantern-prison. "-is contain Parallax if it is forced to leave its current host. And don't assume that it can keep it inside indefinitely."

Okay. I glance in the direction of Kalmin's laboratory. No large explosions, so I assume that he and Weaponer Lysis are getting on with things.

"In that case, Lord Malvolio, since we've got a little while before we need to depart, would you mind speaking with Jade about using green rings?"

"Doth your consort look with a covetous heart 'pon the rings of Oa?"

"No, she grasps with a determined hand 'pon the ring of Volthoom."

"And what manner of being is Volthoom?"

"A talkative one, who can power a ring without a personal lantern."

Lantern Priest shakes his head. "Personal lanterns are an unnecessary crutch, as both Lord Malvolio and I demonstrate."

"Alright, well, the training grounds are this way."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  27. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Guardians: "We don't understand."

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Poor, poor Hinon.

30. RichardWhereat