1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I think that what's making the WH40k story compelling at the moment is that Paul isn't really a big gun narrative wise.

The problems and situations he deals with are personal and meaningful to him vs the heavy tones of carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders in the main storyline.

Cuchulin, Ardy, CTrees and 6 others like this.
  2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Votann were a Golden Age mining expedition.

So the actual Golden Age tech is probably a good bit higher then even that.

Because that's not a natural power of Power Rings.

And no, Power Ring's aren't better then base Warp Sorcery.

Razorfloss and KenNM like this.
  3. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Seeing people's desires was an ability that main story Paul acquired long before enlightenment. Relatively early on iirc. Why are you sure 40k P'ol doesn't have it yet?

Ardy likes this.
  4. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Replying to Vearmina.

You... haven't actually read this story even once, have you? Because it's either that or you've conveniently missed the people pointing out that in this AU fanfiction, where "canon" only matters when and if the author of the text says it does, that very much is a natural ability of Power Rings.

They absolutely are. There is nothing The Warp is capable of that a Power Ring can't also do, usually to a much higher level of power and precision than any Psyker or Warp Echo out there. The only "advantage" The Warp has over The Glow and its associated technologies is that Chaos has a fucking aneurism any time someone tries to research it, making progressing that field of knowledge exceptionally difficult.

Power Rings have allowed teleportation, time travel, universe hoping, and more all while providing a sufficiently adept user with the power to annihilate galaxies and fight gods that make even the most fanwank-y interpretations of The Four seem quaint in comparison.

Of course that power scale hardly matters in WTR since Zoat doesn't seem particularly inclined to allow the setting to get that strong, a move I can whole heartedly applaud because power scaling is for nerds, so Chaos is a galactic threat that can't tell what its own hands are doing most of the time at best, and Power Rings are far more reasonable than whatever the hell the comics are doing.

5. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

He says ‘either’, but then as far as I can tell he never says more than one option.
    What, P’ol doesn’t want to learn Gothic? Come ooonnn.
    I think it’s up to interpretation. Both sides have pretty incredible technological feats. I don’t see much point in making a distinction between physical and psychic tech, but even if we are then the dark elder have some really impressive purely physical tech, which is especially impressive because they can’t even use the most advanced eldar tech due to it all being psychic.
    I’m pretty sure he had to use that technique every time, I don’t think he had any passive ability to detect desires before enlightenment. Also that technique made his eyes glow I think, so if he told the tau about the ability then they might tell him not to use it on their leaders. Kind of a security risk, after all.

6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Using the Warp to do power ring like stuff tends to ge extremely dangerous for the user. Heck the Warp is extremely dangerous.

My solution for fixing the darn 40k setting is a retrovirus that makes everyone a blank.

That means goodbye Warp fuckery.

Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  7. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

I love the 40k bits, seeing Paul help the Tau and navigate the empire is so cool. I do wonder if Paul will ever learn to make more rings

Ardy, Caerwen and MasterG like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'd have to reread Fire Warrior to know for certain, but I think Aun'Va may have been the one to impliment the 'do not recruit' policy.
    As far as I remember, it was a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh leading some Chaos Space Marines. They thought that it was Slaanesh.
    Thank you, corrected.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Fellow and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Why would he want to learn High Gothic? He'd get more mileage out of learning Tau Standard, even if he can't do the scents.
    It would also block everyone who wasn't a necron or the SI from faster than light travel and cause thousands of worlds to starve to death. Which is why the necron ending to Battlefleet Gothic 2 is actually really bad.

Cuchulin, Ardy, mastermenthe and 3 others like this.
  10. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Can't new rings be created from the assimilated? I remember Larfleeze having done that with a bunch of the people that were drawn to him and even did it to one of the Guardians, but I don't actually remember Paul ever doing something like that himself. Is it something that requires an ungodly amount of desire to do maybe? Something that Larfleeze had, but Paul lacks?

Vorian, Cuchulin and MasterG like this.
  11. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

That required summoning the eyes of the ophidean and making his eyes vividly glow orange, it's not something he can do without the other party noticing unless he is a fair distance away and hidden.

Something he cannot do during this meeting.

I hope Paul has given his superiors the heads up that the Ring feeds and powers itself from the warp and that will make then be wary of just giving the ring to someone else after killing Paul, because otherwise he isn't keeping his nominal allies on the loop.

Cuchulin, Senevri and Fellow like this.
  12. ForumLurker

ForumLurker Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

That's just your headcanon. Besides a few instances in books that show that humanity and the Iron Men has some radical weaponry there is no real indication on what the peak of the Golden Age was. It is also possible that the league of votann was humanities very early or perhaps even very late attempt at colonizing the core with reliable and less complex tech. Complex machines are harder on maintenance and production, so sometimes the low tech solution is best. The galactic core is a very hazardous place after all.

There is also no source on what Elder civilization was like either. Keep in mind, they were around for MILLIONS OF YEARS before humanity. The craft worlds are the amish hicks of that civilization.

kraryal likes this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul can do that, but doesn't because he already has Controllers making rings that won't cause users to hear the voices and/or see the memories of the Construct-Lantern used to make the ring.

Fellow likes this.
  14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

If enough planets aren't self sufficient when it comes to food the setting is already fucked up beyond salvation without the Warp fuckery. All it would take is a big enough conflict and thousands of worlds would starve to death anyway.

Think of it like the Common Cold, in old times many died ,up to about 50% or more of the human population but nowadays the virus went trom extremely lethal to mostly survivable. The worlds that survive would be free of Warp fuckery and without Psyckers or whatever is called all those Warp beings would die off.

Plus the Blank retrovirus would also severely neuter Orks ability to bullshit reality.

Also the survivors would eventually develop some non Warp method of FTL travel anyway.

Edit: Lead poisoning may have killed the Roman Empire,;The Warp is way worse.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Hive Worlds have to import food. What you just described would kill most of the Imperium's industry, including the bit keeping the Emperor functioning. And yes, attacking Agri Worlds is a known way to weaken Hive Worlds.
    But not the material physics fuckery of the necrons, who now rule everything.
    The one upside. Ork spores need a waaagh field to work. Without one all orks will die off.
    No, because that's really hard. And because the necrons have killed them.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it may be possible for the individual to merge these two together so that they see themselves acquiring things as serving the Greater Good.

Ohoh, yeah.

The Reasonable Meri es approve of his methods.

You're asking Vaermina for a source about their opinion and You're using reason?

These things do not compute with Vaermina.

Judging by 99% of their posts, I'd say that's pretty likely.

Plus using the Warp runs a big risk of getting your soul raped, so aside from rings being at least as powerful, they're also a lot more safer.

I think he did it once, but I'm not completely sure.

Maybe it was the Renegade.

Ardy likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That may have been why Paul was interested in their genetic records.

Perfectly reasonable idea.

Which is why the Imperium will never implement it.

Though their alien subjects are another matter.

I mentioned a while back a strange Warp entity that helped a Tau ship, which may have been an embodiment of the Greater Good.

Chojin Patriarch and Ardy like this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I will wait patiently while you dig up any instance of a Power Ring directly effecting 1300+ Solar systems at once.

19. Celtic Spartan

Celtic Spartan Know what you're doing yet?

if memory serves, I think in the death battle episode where ben 10 fights Hal Jordan they talk about the squirrel green lantern surviving reality being rewritten or maybe it was kilowog? they specifically describe him surviving the universe getting retconned, with a comic panel for reference and everything.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Thanks, now I hate the setting even more.

Are you 100% sure the Blank retrovirus wouldn't affect thejr organic parts? Or they are 100% machine?

There is a lot of loss tech that didn't need warp to work that became lost due to the machine rebellion and Warp entities also without Warp using tech becomes like 1000% safer.

If the Necrons are too machine to be affected by the blank retrovirus then they probably can be affected by digital viruses and malware more so as they had a very long tie without anyone taking advantage of that weakness.

21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Either "a standardised test" or "standardised tests".

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Ch'p and Ub'x both survived, but everyone they knew and loved had now always lived different lives.

Ngamer11 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Quite the opposite.
    Most are. The rest are already pariahs.
    That's... Not how I remember the timeline at the start of Inquisition War. I don't remember humans ever developing a form of non-warp faster than light. Older fluff had humans using some webway portals, but that's about it.
    Not really. Necrons don't network, and there's no one more advanced than them who could create it.
    Thank you, corrected.

Ngamer11 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Well, for the advancement, the Void Dragon might be advanced enough, and he presumably doesn’t like the Necrons (unless you’re holding to the old lore of the Necrons still serving the C’tan?). But he isn’t any more friendly to humanity or other organics than the Necrons are.

25. Assblaster5000

Replying to Vearmina.

Mogo.

In the same continuity where the universe was confirmed to be 100 TRILLION light years across he light the entire thing up, an act that would require so much energy as to be physically impossible under real physics. If you could shove that much charge into anything it would be instantly obliterated, reality screaming bloody murder as local spacetime collapses into a black hole the size of a super cluster and instantly annihilating anything past that point for many hundreds of millions of light years from the sudden spike of energy.

The fact that this didn't happen is likely because the writer/s didn't understand the first thing about the physics involved in this, but from an in-universe perspective we're forced to assume that his ring was able to force the universe to not die instantly, which is arguably even more impressive, since thermodynamics still... mostly works.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

What is it with people thinking I won't actually look up their claims...

Or maybe you just thought I wouldn't be able to find what you were obliquely referring too.

Well, anyways, I do know the exact books you're referring to. It's Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion chapters 1 and 2. And they took place not in the actual universe. But in the universe that came before. And well, they also just so happen to give us a nice picture of just how far the light reached. Mind you. I wouldn't put any real stock in things claimed in that book given we get them talking about how the universe is completely dark and dead of stars. Then the next page show us a star filled starscape.

27. Assblaster5000

Replying to Vearmina.

Even assuming you're telling the truth, and I don't care enough to bother checking, my point about total energy and the destructive destructive force of said energy stands. The omniscient narrator, or a Lantern who has real time visible light scans of the entire universe on hand, says it light up the entire universe, so it did, and the amount of energy required would boil galaxies away instantly from waste heat alone.

Of course just scaling against people like Darkseid is enough to prove any potential galaxy busting feats since New Gods are absurdly powerful from even their first appearance in DC's wider cosmology proper, with even the most fodder of fodder New Gods having hit with the equivalent force of many thousands of galaxies slamming into your face, something that would require a similar level of durability to accomplish without getting instantly atomized. Darkseid is factually much, much stronger than this and yet a sufficiently skilled Lantern is able to physically harm him.

Similarly The Specter, Trigon, and other high-end entities within DC's cosmology are able to be harmed, in however limited a fashion, by various Lanterns through out history. All of these people have enough raw power to casually annihilate universes, yet a Power Ring and a sufficient amount of their corresponding emotion is enough to put someone on a level where they can harm these beings.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The omniscient narrator didn't say that, Graf Toren did.

Also, I am perfectly willing to bring it to you.

[​IMG]

Also no, that's not how New God's work. Not that it matters mind.

29. Assblaster5000

Replying to Vearmina.

First ever appearance of a New God in a Superman story. What's his name has appeared four or so times, one of which was a reprint and another he was dead, but he hit that hard according to, again, an omniscient narrator or Superman, a guy who would damn well know how hard he was hitting as a 6th level intellect at minimum who personally operates at levels even higher than that.

Also, if you're going to post an image use a spoiler. It makes it much easier to see all the text you write out and doesn't take up more space than the point you're failing to make.

Edit:What's his name is called Magnar. He's actually appeared in eight comics, but the point about one being a reprint and another having him just fucking dead still stands. He's about as much of a nobody as a named character can get and he still hits hard enough to realistically shatter a solar system in one punch.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  30. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Sorry if I’m just repeating myself or am annoying but what ever happened to Xalitan Xor?