1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Last mention of him I can remember off the top of my head was that he's still training and working on fixing up his home polity, though I think I recall something about him moving a bit more into an active combat roll against The Reach now that things had mostly stabilized.

Katillno likes this.
  2. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

He was part of the advanced class that the Illustres implemented some chapters ago (in that planet where they study and venerate Lanterns, I think?) and, at this point, you can count him as an Elite Orange Lantern. He achieved some high level of orange light understanding and passed the class. After that, I think he's already more involved in the war effort but I don't recall how fixed his home system situation is.

3. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Xalitan was also referred to by Ragnar as being his own beefgate, much as Ragnar himself is LePaul's beefgate.

Edit: He also helped shield the Spider Guild planet when Desire messed with the crew of a ship. Paul felt him as an active presence in the Honden.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  4. Threadmarks: Xenopsychology (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

6 574 938.M41

"I… Do not understand." The Fio'O looks puzzled, and mildly frustrated. "Were there machines, or were there not? If we could study machines that could survive the warp, then even if there were not technologies that we could immediately incorporate into our own, it could provide vital information for our future engine designs."

Is this a tau thing or a boss thing? My memories of Earth are still good, but I imagine that they've lost a little context as the way I think has changed. I certainly think I remember getting instructions from my managers which made no sense because they weren't really aware of what I did, but at the same time the tau are infamously ignorant on the subject of the warp.

"Planner, we may perceive objects in the warp as being similar to those of the material universe, but the warp is not a place where the laws by which this universe operates apply."

"I am familiar with the physics abnormalities which can occur around warp-related devices and phenomena."

"Warp energy can be used to change certain physical laws over a limited area, but in the warp the opposite is true; it uses our reality to impose any stability on a chaotic mass of energy. Otherwise it wouldn't have any. So with the factory, there are a few possibilities. Either a normal material factory was brought into the warp and started becoming increasingly… 'Unreal', or the factory I saw was warp energy which was acclimatised to being shaped like a factory by either the thoughts of the humans on that planet or by the thoughts of the Faultless One."

"That…" He blinks, his nasal cleft twitching uncertainly. "Does not sound…"

"Deep in the Eye of Terror, there are worlds that have been granted to Daemon Princes as prizes. When the Daemon Prince takes possession of the world their soul exerts itself on the place, twisting it in accordance with their nature. On a world that a Daemon Prince of Khorne rules, the sky will rain with blood and the mountains will take on the appearance of screaming skulls. And if two daemons fight over that sort of world then the landscape can change from one thing to another as which one holds the position of dominance changes. A river of blood can become a river of effluence, or a stream of such beauty that no one who drinks from it will ever willingly drink from another again, or to one which glows pink and causes random mutations. The Imperium has records of these worlds, either from what their psykers have seen or from expeditions taken into the Eye."

I make as close as I can to the tau expression of sympathy.

"I'm sorry, Planner, but we live in a very badly designed universe and just have to make do until we can fix it."

"You.. said that the… Mon'vesa Faultless One is a Daemon Prince."

"That's my best guess, though I wish to emphasise that it's a very strange thing that's happened and I can't say that with anything like complete confidence."

"What would happen if he took control of a world in the 'Eye of Terror'?"

"I…"

Um. I'm… Not sure. I mean, there's no way for us to get him there, other than me flying him there by ring. And I don't think he'd tolerate that. The Maelstrom is closer and less well protected, but the worlds inside it aren't as malleable. In… Theory, he could turn it into a massive factory world. Even keep things normal enough that we could actually use its output. If there was any way to convey it to the Tau Empire.

I'm not… Really sure where he's going with this.

"I suspect that the result would be daemons of every Chaos God swarming the place to get rid of the interloper. Given that most people elevated to the position of Daemon Prince do so after centuries of experience with warp magic that he doesn't have, I'd… Guess that he'd end up getting turned into a sword or… Some other device, by the eventual winner. If they left him alone he might be able to learn to exert himself on the place eventually… Does the Empire have a Daemon World that needs a puppet ruler?"

"No. The Empire has Planners who need to understand mon'he logistics and engineering."

"Mon'he logistics are simple. They are the weapons. Their food and fuel are warp energy. They bring it into the material universe through ritual sacrifices and the occasional fortuitous warp storm. The more they kill, the more power they get."

"Have you been making sacrifices to the Faultless One?"

"No, but he's far smaller now than he was in the warp. A weaker form uses less power, and there are enough warp engines around to keep him manifested. And… I don't actually know what sort of sacrifice he'd need."

The Por'O makes the gesture to request that they be allowed to butt in, and the Fio'O allows it.

"If we did have a Daemon World, what could he do to assist us?"

"I haven't tested it. If you mean, in general terms, what could a Daemon Prince do while we fought daemonic attackers, they could contest terraforming magic… But they'd probably have less power to work with than the enemy."

"If the world was tainted, but the invasion of daemons had been destroyed."

"You're not… Talking about a Daemon World there. He could probably detect tainted areas without the danger that human psykers would be under if they tried to do the same thing. I think it would be worth experimenting with using human psykers to strengthen him with their abilities, since… Obviously, ritual sacrifices aren't an option."

"Are they not? Human worlds execute criminals for a variety of crimes. It would take little effort to have them transported to a ritual site once a sufficient number were accumulated. Is there some other requirement that I am not aware of?"

"Someone who knows how to do the ritual sacrifices. Technically, a tau should be able to do the sacrificing as it's the victim's soul passing into the warp that draws the power and the daemon who uses it. But I don't know what rituals to use to empower a daemon who isn't bound to the four Gods of Chaos, I don't know anyone who does, and I don't know how to stop other daemons being empowered by the sacrifices as well. And it would cause the Imperium to redouble their efforts against the Tau Empire."

"I…" The Por'O refers to his terminal. "Also believe that daemons need to be named..?"

"Daemons have a thing called a True Name, which allows them to be bound by someone who knows it. I've had my constructs tell me all the True Names that they know."

"And The Faultless One?"

"I took the name of the person I believe was the core component of Faultless One, as well as the names of as many prisoners as I could. But I don't know if any of them constitute a 'True Name' in the sorcerous sense, or if there's more to it. I would also point out that after attempting that sort of binding there's little to no chance that Faultless One would continue cooperating willingly as he does at the moment."

"Your report mentioned that you wanted to use him to help deal with human psykers in general."

"The issue needs further research. But I'd rather take a risk on him being able to help weak-willing psykers than simply kill them."

"I am puzzled. Why are you willing to take that risk with psykers and not with sacrifices?"

"For the same reason as the-" Pre-retcon. "-Edict of Nikea was passed by the Imperium. Sorcery is making pacts with daemons. By its very nature, you're only ever going to be playing the daemons' game; even getting involved gives them more power. Psionics are more like a dangerous weapon; you can get hurt if you're not careful or unlucky, but it can just be useful. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how vital astropaths and navigators are to the Imperium."

"What is the Edict of Nikea?"

"Oh, ah… During the Great Crusade after the end of the Age of Isolation, some Space Marine legions started inducting psykers and using sorcery, and others were strongly against it. Imperial policy was set by the Emperor on a planet called Nikea, after a lot of arguments between the librarians of the various legions and the primarchs. In short, psionics were okay if used carefully, and sorcery was banned. The Thousand Sons ignored that rule, and that's a big part of why they were excommunicated."

"Your report says that human religious rituals are a form of sorcery. And there are records of Inquisitors using sorcery."

"The practice of worshipping the Emperor is a post-Heresy thing. The assumption at the time was that sorcery would always involve daemons. And Inquisitors really aren't supposed to, and it never ends well."

The Por'O makes a gesture of conclusion, then turns his attention to Aun'Va. Aun'Va stares at Bo'okh for a moment, then taps his staff twice.

"The witnesses are excused. Remain close at hand in case we have further questions."

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  5. Celtic Spartan

Celtic Spartan Know what you're doing yet?

thanks for the new chapter

Handlewithcare, boo600, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

w -> we
    needs a closing quotation mark

7. KenNM

KenNM Actually 23

Can I get a reminder who or what the Faultless One is and how they entered the story?

MasterG likes this.
  8. Assblaster5000

Psychic amalgam of tortured Imperials that planned on killing their oppressors/abusers (An Inquisitor, the Planetary Governor, maybe as much of The Imperium proper as they could too) and who ever got in their way. The character/circumstances is based on a song by StringStorm called Faultless.

They entered the story because P'ol and crew happened to go to that (ex?) Imperial world and found all the crimes against humanity, killing the Inquisitor (and Governor?) in the process, before deciding to take them along for the ride because research of something.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

But at least they're trying to learn, as dangerous a process as it is. Some managers... Would not put that much effort in. I get the feeling this particular councillor has a very precisely-designed view of the universe, and doesn't like things that don't fit into it...

A mere, pale reflection of the weirdness within the Immaterium proper.

And I seriously doubt the Administratum of the planet would have missed a factory going missing. Especially since they're not usually known for being easily portable. :p

Though I expect more than a few of those expeditions returned with few or one survivor... The Warp is a nasty place, after all, and places of power for the Four are even more so.

Though you have some loose plans for doing exactly that, don't you?

I like that they barely even know what to call the little daemon...

...He'd get eaten almost immediately. Depending on whether the previous owner feels like playing with their food or not.

Let's hope it's just a thought experiment, trying to find a place for the Faultless One.

Yeah, being bound to an item of power is a common fate for losers in daemonic challenges. It's where all those Daemon weapons Chaos marines lug around come from, for example... But 'other device'? Ugh, can you imagine what a daemon of Slaanesh would use an enemy for? :oops:

And engineering? Well, this is still a ways before any mention of Dark Mechanicum, I think. So no daemon engines, and at most you could maybe count possessed Knights and Titans.

Especially given he was born of industrial accidents and suffering workers? ...Maybe the suffering of bad managers made to work the lines alongside their staff to experience it?

...Let's not go getting any ideas about annexing a daemon world, boys and girls. o_O

Ah. Now I see where they're going with this. They're talking about cleanup duty...

But would that work for Faultless One? That's the problem.

Yeah, that would have even Radical Inquisitors frothing at the mouth... In rage or jealousy, I can't be sure. ;)

Oh, yeah, he did swipe some Daemonettes, didn't he? Bet Slaanesh is still a little fuming about that.

Yeah, trying to slip that kind of leash on them would burn every bit of goodwill you've earned thus far.

...Because he's not an evil bastard who's willing to send people's souls god-knows-where in the name of science.

Ah, one of the bits of background that's been smacked around by writers over the years...

Let's just say it doesn't end well for them.

Getting eaten by the daemon they're messing with is usually the best outcome. The worst... usually ends with Exterminatus.

Well, then. I bet the discussions will get heated...

Sadly, I don't know if that went well, especially from what we've seen of the whole presentation. Still, best to be cautiously optimistic. After all, where would the story go if they came down against the whole setup? Still, 'carry on, but we're watching you' would be the most likely result. Now that this plotline's reached a good point for a break... :sneaky: Will we be seeing what Harallax has been up to, I wonder?

"What would happen if he took control of a world in the 'Eye of Terror'?"

10. Mr Zoat

Oh, I just posted it to spite you. If you actually liked it then I'll have to rethink my entire approach.
    Thank you, corrected.

11. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I never knew that giving Tau headaches via uncomfortable truths would be so much fun.

12. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

How .

Thank you for the update!

13. DeathReaperZ

DeathReaperZ In the Void.

Not yet, he'll probably figure out to bring back the desire patterns that make up the minds of people, and put it into a body. Although they'd probably only be able to feel Avarice.
    What makes a world thaumically active however? It's obviously not just the presence of life, because if it was, then every planet would have magic.
    It's pretty ironic that the person who's been trained from birth to become a deadly assassin through physical violence, and has worked in a terrorist ninja group, has more compassion than Paul does. Especially since Paul is the reason she has more compassion.
    Well, at least he's honest about it.
    "Point" as in the position at the front in a group, or did you just forget to add an "a"?
    Carbon Monoxide for suicide? Isn't that a bad idea? Since it causes plenty of harmful effects before you die? Wouldn't nitrogen be better? And what did Gold Paul say to him, can someone remind me.
    I went into a bit of a rabbit hole after clicking the link, how similar are the people on the anti-matter Earth, when compared to the Earth negative 14 versions? Since Joseph Harrolds is from a universe with villains of the same name and appearance.
    Heh. Always a good idea to make sure.
    I see he's still salty about that.
    Uh oh
    Ophidian
    Interesting. Wonder how other merged lanterns experience the presence of their respective emotion.
    So, like 50% of him?
    Damn, is it funny to watch Paul get schooled.
    Huh, well that's certainly a reasonable concern, but at this point canon has been well and truly screwed, whether he leads people to their doom or not.
    I can see why Eris was so interested in him.
    After you get trapped in an illusion, the first dozen times or so, it's really easy to notice when you are inevitably in one, isn't that right Paul?
    Interesting that the ring communication text is still orange.
    Wonder what would happen if he embodied all emotion entities, would he become the life entity, or at least a white lantern?
    Is this an actual name you got from somewhere, or something you made up? Because I looked it up, and it lead me back to this post.
    Main character plot powers are usually above those of omnipotent beings.
    Well, he's got you there.
    Perhaps, he's trying to spread fear through media?

Here's a bit of question for Zoat, can Paul recharge his ring without a lantern through the use of the Honden? I know you've said that he can't control Avarice without his ring, but let's say he was low on charge, his subspace pocket was locked, and he didn't have enough time to make a new lantern, could he recharge his ring directly from the Honden? Also, I'm not sure if I read this correctly, but can he make rings now or did I read that wrong?

14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

That isn't a mistake, that's a portmanteau of "Ophidian+me".

BR549 likes this.
  15. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

You could try writing in iambic pentameter. Or writing chapters that vaermina imagines absolutely no fault with. Or google translating to swahili and back before posting.

16. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

When was Euanthe first introduced?

17. Assblaster5000

The... first(?) time Paragon visited London, which I think was before he first went to space and sometime after the first appearance of Dr. Fate. It was one of the earliest episodes in the story, but beyond that I'm not too sure and the wiki sadly doesn't seem to have anything either.

On a rough guess I'd say somewhere around Paragon episode 14.

Vorian, Ardy and Katillno like this.
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She first appeared in Episode 31: Widdershins.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Going at the front.
    Gold Paul started with an anti-green ring, and found it was better to deliberately kill himself each day rather than wait for the ring to do it.

In The Land of Doyle, I haven't investigated superior suicide methods.
    You'll learn more at the end of this episode.
    Made it up.
    I'm going to say 'yes, but only slowly'. That's a provisional answer and may change if it ever comes up.

Or I forget I gave it. Honestly, that's more likely.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

After each death he was dumped in a Lazarus Pit, so that should have hopefully fixed any damage.

I'm guessing he did it because it was either less painful, or because he wanted some control over his life and expressed that desire in what way he wished to die.

Otto von Saurion and MasterG like this.
  21. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

What did Paul from Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes do to prevent Wonder Man? Did he?

22. Pez

Pez Spaceman

you

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No firm decision, but probably not. Rather, he found out later, and that's why Tony let him take the lead talking to Ronan.

24. boo600

boo600 Welp

…this is just sinking in, but it’s been three weeks - the better part of a month - since the Anti-Life infection of Earth has happened, all of Earth’s heroes helpless to stop it. Something absolutely awful, created by Darkseid the Atrocity Maximizer. Something so terrible that Hard Men should make Hard Decisions to stop it. Something that exceeds the Golden Morning in pain, if with a lower death count, perfectly negating Paul’s insistence that Worm is Grimdark compared to his own story and emphasizing that he’s clearly never read it.

And we haven’t seen anything of John Constantine since the beginning of this mess.

I’m scared.

25. Mr Zoat

Completely true. But there are far more Entities than there are Darkseids.

26. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

oh no, the dumb phatic shit is escaping from RoyalRoad

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Not necessarily. There are a lot of Entities, but depending on how many Darkseid-containing universes there are (between the different universes themselves, plus the different timelines which could presumably reach a gargantuan number through exponential time travel) there might be an even larger number of Darkseids. Of course, though, those Darkseids will have a similar number of strong non-evil opponents, whereas the Entities are kings of their multiverse, so your overall point still stands.
    Huh, never heard that word before. Although based on the definition I just found by Googling, I don’t think that this is phatic. Giving thanks has an actual purpose: showing your gratitude. It is not entirely worthless like the examples I saw under the definition of ‘phatic’.
    Maybe I’m wrong, of course.

28. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Point for The Entities though, they can have beings like The Loner who aren’t focused on conflict.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Who are you calling phat?

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's only one Darkseid.

Remember, Apokolipse exists outside the Speed Force Wall in the Gods Sphere.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.