1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

So how did Thana’s mission to convert people away from Monotheism turn out?

boo600, Cuchulin, Bud-E and 1 other person like this.
  2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the post flashpoint multiverse.

This story doesn't even take place in that multiverse.

Which means that multiverse's cosmology isn't actually relevant.

3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I'm struggling to find a good Tau dictionary.

No, no, phat with a P-H, you know, "pretty hot and tempting"?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat this should either be "573" or you should add this date above the link for the chapter.

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  5. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

It's phatic. It's just a 'like', but taking up more space. It's impossible to discuss anything in RoyalRoad comment sections because half the comments are just "thanks for the chapter". Fuck that. Use the like button and if you donpt have anything else to say, don't say it.

Titansfall, CTrees, Ngamer11 and 4 others like this.
  6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

You’ve convinced me.

7. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

20th January 2013
    19:12 GMT

The yellow glow is obvious even from a distance. Next to me, Malvolio snarls, while Lantern Priest merely looks slightly sad.

"I am entity Volthoom. World being consumed by fear."

And it's not just a glowing aura. As my ring starts scanning the planet in earnest I see that what I'm seeing is the accumulated light output of millions of construct monsters rampaging over the surface.

"A decent start, we think. It doesn’t pay to be completely predictable."

For an instant, I wonder how I'm hearing it. But then I remember: the fear is already there. And that fear is Parallax.

"Why? What possible-?"

"We don't need a purpose; We are our own purpose. Oh, if you could hear it as we do."

"YOU THINK I COULDN'T TURN A WORLD FULL OF PEOPLE INTO PUPPETS JUST FOR THE PLEASURE OF SUBSUMING THEM?! BECAUSE I COULD! I DON'T BECAUSE IT'S MONSTROUS AND SELF-DEFEATING!"

"Then why does it feel so good?"

-!

And we're at the planet, smashing through weak constructs which just reform from the fears of the people below as we pass through and we see the Parallax-man laughing as we bite at him, our mouth more than large enough to envelop their entire body!

"Rage?"

We can see his STUPID face, stare him in the eye, but our jaws won't close!

"Rage is no use. We want FEAR!"

Clawed arms grasp at our body, grasp at our jaw and force it open as the part of us that is the Illustres remembers that this world was a centre of culture. Not only will this attack be transmitted to the rest of N.E.M.O., but if we as its ultimate weapon are shown to be halted or defeated-. We would survive, but N.E.M.O. would risk fracturing.

A colossal spear pierces the side of Parallax-

"Aagh!"

-and they toss us aside, one of their arms scrabbling at the point of impact to try and remove the projectile. We fly through space-.

Ag!

I can feel the Ophidian in my soul, not distantly right now and not anything like as controlled as usual. Fear or anger, intrapsychic arousal amounts to the same thing. But charging ahead isn't the way.

Malvolio's spear evaporates as the Parallax construct's blood coats it, its claw then smoothing down its chitinous hide. He throws another while below him Lantern Priest does something in the planet's upper atmos-.

There's something wet on my neck.

Atmosphere.

Ring, what-?

"You are bleeding."

And why haven't you fixed it? No, fix it.

"Unable to com-. Com-. Comply."

I generate a colossal railgun construct and take aim as Lord Malvolio swings at Parallax with giant burning green fist constructs.

Assimilate.

"In progress."

Message to local Lanterns: wounds inflicted by Parallax become infected with the yellow light.

"Sent."

I add a spatial warp node to my construct weapon as Parallax raises its tail stinger to stab at Lord Malvolio.

Crumbler.

Fire.

The crumbler round hits the tail, the very tip where it connects to the sting-blade evaporated by the strike. The stinger disconnects and starts to fade, Malvolio immediately noticing and moving aside even as he switches to a construct sword to hack at the Parallax construct's wrists.

Weak yellow strands lash out and reconnect the stinger before it can fully fade, stabbing towards Malvolio with renewed vigor. I fire again, but the shot is blocked by Parallax's membranous wing. The wing gets a hole, but the stinger carries-.

"A feeble feint-"

One, two, three, four construct hands grasp the tail, holding it in place.

"-from a foolish foe."

Parallax… Dismisses its own tail, Malvolio's hands closing on nothing as a new, longer and thinner tail emerges from its body, complete with whip-like strands projecting from the tip.

Parallax grins, human mouth widening and monster mouth opening-.

I put a crumber round through each of its eyes, and then as it writhes I take a shot at its neck, closest to where the host stands.

I watch as the construct flesh peels away and he catches it with his human hand, then uses a construct tendril to detonate it.

"Is this all there is?"

I open fire on full automatic. Ten, a hundred, a thousand crumbler rounds fly out as the space between us visibly warps, starts bending aside and the planet all but vanishing! Construct tendrils lash out to intercept, construct wings move to obscure and the main body of the abomination lazily swims through space in an undulating motion to deny me an easy target. Hundreds of tendrils flash out of existence, hundreds of holes open in the wings… Hard to tell how many are hitting the body, but I don't think it's enough to-.

Know fear.

I warp right as a yellow beam scythes through space next to me, my gun construct fading and failing. Then warp again.

Flee from us.

Another miss, but unlike my shots at him those would hurt me if they hit me. I see Malvolio carve great rents in its construct body, but…

It's an Entity. We can't wear it down as we would a normal Lantern, either in terms of ring charge or even psychologically. It's not losing anything it can't replace with a thought.

Fortunately, with all the constructs Malvolio is using-

"I am entity Volthoom. Qwa-matter deployed."

-it's missed the more subtle uses of the green light.

WHOOMPFFF!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Friendly chaotic. I made it up.
    It ran into a few minor difficulties.

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...I'd say this is fully justified crossing of the Godzilla Threshold, but given 'giant monster thing that's yellow' maybe it's more of a Ghidorah threshold?

10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Are -> And

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, thank you, Volthoom, they do have eyes. Looks like Harralax is being subtle as a sledgehammer with its fear-mongering. About what you'd expect of a wild Entity, not one joined with a human. Presumably they're riding the high of being free right now.

Ugh, no subtlety at all. Then again, would you want the space-bug learning about things like psychological horror? Or Jump-scares?

Great. They're already being influenced by them just being here...

Oh, damn! Looks like they didn't just hit OL's berserk button, they're slamming their face on it like a frigging jackhammer.

Hey, bugly. :cool: Did you not remember...

...Snakes eat Bugs! :V

Oh, goddammit! All this fear is making him able to no-sell their attacks...

Saved by the Big Damn Heroes! See, this is why you bring friends!

Yeah, all that Determination burns, doesn't it, fear-boy?

But not fully fused anymore. Interesting. Good thing his human rationality is able to overcome her animal instinct.

Let me guess: Priest's trying to broadcast Resistance to the entire planet? Not sure that'd be effective without summoning Ion, though.

And OL is really off his game here. The joy of their opponent already having his hooks in under his guard.

Hell, I would have thought that would be a standing order in this fight. Unless it would require onerous amounts of charge.

Bah! Why use one barrel? Setup up a Metal Storm barrage or something... Dakka will be your friend here.

The benefit of using the Orange Light. Whatever energy Harrallax throws at him will get eaten.

Optimal strategy: don't get hit. Great. So now he's a Souls-like boss fight.

Ooh, this will be a new sensation to the bug. It's probably never been hit by this before...

Good man. Seeing that he's got ranged support, he immediately clears the line of fire and flanks.

Single shots aren't doing it, OL. Bring the rain.

Effective if it were flesh, Malvolio. But...

...They can be as ephemeral as mist.

"Stop doing that! Do you know how much that stings?!"

There we go! Too bad the Orks can't see this. I can already hear the football chants of 'Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!'

Yeah, the joy of fighting something that effectively could one-hit kill you. (And yes, that boss in the video is meant to be hard. 9999 damage per hit when enraged by daylight combat, against a player with 250 health... And she can fill the screen with projectiles...)

It has more HP than a final boss. The joy of trying to early-run an optional super-boss...

Now... Imagine if they'd tried to fight Ophidian, back in the day. With her 'those I kill become my tools' ability in full operation... :confused:

Oof! I'm guessing it's an attempt to kill the host, there, since killing Parallax itself is very, very difficult, and risky to boot.

I think I get their plan: Kill Harrolds, and Parallax is left without a tangible host, weakening its' ability to employ its powers with any true direction. Then they bait it into the containment vessel and bing-bang-boom, fight's done? I have the feeling this isn't going to be that easy, though. Let's hope Volthoom's insistence on declaring itself hasn't entirely blown the sneak attack bonus.

These should both be 'Volthoom'.
    ...grasps the tail, holding it in place.
    ...as the space between us visibly warps, starts bending aside...

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should that be 'stinger-blade' or was this intentional?

Some authors don't give a damn about the little number under the chapter and are self conscious enough about their abilities as a writer to need the positive affirmation. Some also see people actively engaging with a story beyond simple likes as proof that people are, you know, actually engaged, which can serve as a form of motivation. Neither of those are bad things.*

But more importantly, this isn't RR, it's QQ. If you don't want to see someone make comments like that just put them on ignore you clown and stop wasting space complaining about a single post in a thread that's hardly active most of the time anyways.

*Though that being said Zoat probably doesn't give a shit, so any words about this subject are basically a waste in this thread anyways.

MechaNova, Cuchulin, m_d and 4 others like this.
  15. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I'll always give Mr Zoat this: he's good at depicting beyond baseline human comprehension battles.
    I've always had a tough time with imagining things that are supposed to exceed human clock speeds.

NightmareWarden, Rebu, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  16. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Hold on, what would happen if he successfully assimilated an Entity's Host? Would that... imprison the Entity in the construct lantern? Would Parallax be stuck within Construct Lantern Harrolds?

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I sincerely doubt Paul has the power to do that, even with the Ophidian backing him up.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though not all species or people may have eyes or sight, so the announcing feature would be useful if one is blind.

They may already know about it, but prefer more in your face horror.

19. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"I am entity Volthoom. Get Fucked. LMAO."

20. Mr Zoat

It wouldn't work, because he'd be attacking the Entity's emotions. If he could, the Entity would be ejected because the construct lantern wouldn't have the right emotion any more.

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Come on, there’s bound to be a planet somewhere that’s just populated by comically evil people.
    ‘Agh’?
    ‘a hole’?
    ’It’s’

22. Mr Zoat

Then why would he want them as puppets? Why would he want their thoughts in his head every time a construct lantern was destroyed?
    Some people exclaim differently.
    Thank you, corrected.

23. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Parallax is being so blunt with his fear harvesting because OL can and will misread subtle manipulations.

24. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Well, he was talking about doing it for just the pleasure of subsuming people. If by that he meant subsuming the memories, or if he wouldn’t enjoy it unless he was going to actually use the constructs for something, then yeah, it isn’t feasible, but if it’s just the pleasure of making puppets of people, then I don’t think he gets any memories until the construct is returned to the ring for the first time, so he could just assimilate everyone and then order them to sit in a hole or in deep space where they’ll probably never be destroyed, or at least not for a long time. I don’t think that keeping them manifested like that even costs him any charge, although I could very well be wrong about that.

But I was just being facetious, really. I don’t think he enjoys that sort of thing enough that he would actually do it, rather than just orbitally bombarding such a planet if he wanted to kill them.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Now I wonder what's gonna happen when Paul goes up against Predator, cuz he'll still misread the equivalent attack.

26. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    19:14 GMT

Space… Judders. I'm not sure what qwa-matter does to spacetime, but the feedback from that detonation just destroyed my warp module. And that doesn't make sense. A region around the rear half of Parallax's construct body flares in a sort of white-gold colour, which fades almost immediately and…

Joseph Harrolds stares, clearly stunned, at the broken remains of his passenger's construct form. It's not just that the back end is gone, but that the destructive effect appears to be propagating along its body. If he drops the construct then we've got an opportunity to grab him right away.

"What-?"

On the planet itself the yellow colour is beginning to fade. Lantern Priest wasn't willing to inject peoples' souls with his own willpower, but he was willing to use his power to create a sort of barrier between their psyches and the yellow light. The result will be that they're still not thinking straight, but at least their fear won't be strengthening Parallax and they're more likely to survive with that thing being weaker.

Some sort of serpent-insect thing dashes up the side of a skyscraper, claws tearing through the exterior of the building as it tries to reach Priest. I don't know whether it actually has any intelligence or instinct or Harralax isn't as distracted as he looks, but it's managed to head towards the one person who can deny him the planet as a power booster. It reaches the top of the building and bunches up, ready to leap at Priest with claws-.

Ragnar flies in, his construct sword slicing through the legs on its left side. It loses its grip at once and begins to fall even as the legs of its right try to scrabble to maintain their hold. A moment later and it’s the building that fails, chunks of metal, glass and concrete tearing their way out of the structure as…

Gravity… Takes a firm grip on something that… Should by all rights be able to fly.

Huh.

But Ragnar's already in position, giant construct boar spear upraised and ready as the construct monster plummets downwards to impale itself, decaying into yellow motes an instant later.

Ragnar grins as the motes begin to coalesce around him, then frowns as Priest dismisses them with a wave of his hand. A moment later and the motes are gone and he's back into the fray, relishing the opportunity to go ham on the construct monsters, though just about disciplined enough to stick with Priest rather than charging after the next monster to catch his eye.

Warp module reformed.

Thank you.

Parallax appears to be coping with its damage by shrinking, letting its outer parts fade and focusing its efforts on a smaller and more intense construct body. Which could work, except that Lord Malvolio isn't giving him time to recuperate and is instead pushing through the fading yellow body parts with sword and shield at the ready. Jade and Lysis are clear of the combat area-.

Harrolds spots Malvolio as he batters aside a section of carapace and twists, lunging at him with mouth open wide and-.

And fire, because someone forgot to obscure my line of sight and now doesn't have enough construct volume protecting himself.

And fire continuously, because I can still feel people dying on Yaolsan because when people in our weight class fight it's everybody's problem.

Parallax's mouth bites at Malvolio, who shoves his shield between its jaws and enlarges it just as my shots start hitting the back of its neck. The chitin construct begins to disintegrate as Malvolio brings his sword around to stab at its throat. It doesn't go in easily, but construct flesh parts around it as it-.

"GAH!"

The construct Parallax vanishes, Harrolds-

"Not."

-appears in front of me, and-.

And the Earth is Anti-Lifed because of my interactions with-.

I don't-. Believe that!

SHIELD!

The colossal beam of yellow power slams into my decidedly rushed shield, and my mind hasn't quite-!

Dodge!

"Allowed."

Oh, yes? Because I'm fairly sure that Harrolds had desires before he went to Yellow Planet.

Lets see what they were. Desire amplification.

We see fights between superhuman warlords, brief and inconclusive affairs as neither party is strong enough to withstand the attention it will draw from others. We see his desire to take control of the syndicates as he takes control of his-.

This time I fire the blast, his construct armour fading as he's knocked flying-

"Uh."

-and the lights on Yaolsan go out as he restores himself, battering the beam away with a gauntlet construct, stabilising himself.

"Do you want another go?"

"We're in no hurry. What do you think of our first attempt?"

"I imagine you scared quite a few people. I mean, given how powerful you are the number probably wasn't anything special, but you've been away for a while, so… Well done?"

What did I learn from that snapshot of Joseph Harrolds' life? The impression I got was that he's rational, pragmatic and self-interested. I didn't see any positive association with the Crime Syndicate. Not as an achievement he worked toward or as a team he liked being a part of. Which means that they're just a group that he tolerates because he needs to in order to do other things. They're his syndicates, and the best way for him to keep them that way is for him to cooperate with the other Syndicate members.

"Though I suspect that Ultraman is taking advantage of your absence to do something stupid back home."

He rolls his eyes. "Very subtle."

"Yeah. True, though."

"We need to grow used to our power before returning home."

"Does the part of you that is Parallax really care about that?"

"Do you care if we threaten your home?"

"Right now? No. Honestly, my Earth's-"

Lord Malvolio's battering ram construct strikes him in the side, punching through his construct defences as the two of them carry on away from the planet.

"-a mess."

"Did the villein say ought of significance?"

The battering ram splits in two as Parallax prepares to re-enter the fray.

"We can hear your fears too, Green Lantern. You can't bury them deep enough to escape our notice. Let us show you."

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"or Harralax"

"on Yaolsan"

Smart.

Having g great power is useful, but if you can't fully master it then even a weaker opponent can beat you.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Let's hope he's that cowardly. After all, OL knows just how nasty Qwa-Matter is, and just how nasty it can be when interacting with Spectrum energies.And what he fears, Parralax knows...

About what I'd expect a Green Light Shaman to be capable of, without the backing of an Entity.

Certainly nothing subtle about his fighting style here, thankfully. Fair's fair, since Harralax isn't being subtle about things either.

...That's odd. I have the feeling that's significant somehow, but it might take a bit for how to become clear.

Good, not losing himself in the joy of battle, I see. Though I suspect he almost wanted to get hit with that Fear, to test himself...

Now to reach out and touch someone... With superior firepower.

Pfft. Like that would work? And cutting Parallax's construct down to size in the process? That'll make it easier to capture him.

Yeah. Even one missed beam or slug is going to end up making a mess around here.

Well, he's either on the ropes, or...

...He's entering his second boss phase. :rolleyes:

Wonder if that was a transition or a spookiport... Would Harrolds have advanced that far in that short a time?

To be fair, OL. He's right. Pretty sure this whole Mannheim thing didn't happen in canon.

...And it looks like his second phase ups his damage output. Hooray.

All's fair in a fight, Harralax. An old thug like you should know that...

Ah. I see. That's why the Crime Syndicate system works: No-one can get rid of the rest because they might expose a weakness to the little fish nibbling at their capes...

Since Harrolds wouldn't have that much experience with ring-to-ring combat...

Come on, then. If you think you're hard enough...

Just a warm-up, huh? I shudder to imagine what they could do when they try.

And that's how a reverse-morality Earth can function. One alone can be crushed. Many together will do the crushing...

I mean, he's not wrong. Any version of Ultraman tends to think with his fists before anything else.

Ah, I see. This really was a warm-up, then. Harrolds needing to get used to wielding Fear instead of Will, while Parallax needed to get used to working through a mortal mind.

Oh, he cares very much. Why do you think he's fighting so hard to stop you?

And Harrolds forgot the key rule of a fight like this: Don't get distracted.

...You know he probably didn't hear the last bit, right, OL?

This isn't going to go the way one of them thinks it will. I just wonder who'll be getting the surprise, though...

Well, doesn't look like either side is going to be performing a total curbstomp yet. But Harralax is giving as good as he seems to be getting, if not as directly. But this next move could be interestign to see. Will the yellow space bug be able to overcome the Determination that Malvolio is marinated in, or will he find that minty taste doesn't agree with him? :D

29. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

So far we've seen Ion bonding, Ophidian bonding, and (Nega?) Parallax bonding. That's 3 of the 9 embodiments of the lights. So I think he's doing pretty good on 'Lantern: Catch 'em All' events. But it doesn't seem like it'd be enough to throw off the Anti-Life.

30. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

Fear and Hope are just weird to me

why do these 2 are the only one mainly external when every one else is just internal

spread hope, cause fear

what about feeling hope or fear, Para-Joseph here isn't pissing his pant and being afraid running from everything

Sojiko, Cuchulin, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.