1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Blame DC, they established the lights as pure evil antagonists and pure good protagonists without thinking about the greater implications until way later.

Cuchulin, Istaran, Bud-E and 3 others like this.
  2. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Zoat has tentatively confirmed that a Universe - Anti-Universe Pair share an Embodiment.
    Also, Paul doesn't want all of the Embodiments, he wants a Power Ring of each color (and a wielder). Presumably to be worked into whatever plan the League (Dr Mist) have to deal with the Anti-Life.

Cuchulin, Istaran, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Told you Malvolio wouldn't be fear free.

I guess...probably fear of loss of control? Fear of being wrong? Of being too out of date and forgotten?

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Poor Ragnar, getting ignored like that.

Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You should, because we know for a fact it's true.

rkyeun likes this.
  7. mastermenthe

Fear of fear.
    His principle foundation is forthrightness, his only weakness is in that foundation being somehow crumbled, and the only thing that can crumble it, is his own emotions.
    So, fear of his own fear.

PDV, Istaran and Ngamer11 like this.
  8. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Weird question, but other than feeling everyone's fears and relishing in them, shouldn't Parallax also be able to feel fear to the fullest? The yellow light isn't just about causing it after all, right?

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm guessing that'll only happen if he's on the backfoot, which isn't happening right now.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  10. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

yeah, Yellow and Blue is just weird like that

they all about causing an emotional response in other but not in yourself

in Yellow case it kinda make sense, being afraid is mutually exclusive with terrorizing other, so they have to pick one or the other

Blue not so much, inspiring hope and feeling it aren't mutually exclusive, you can do both

i guess it also spread more easily since the second some one freak out, mob mentality kick in and every one panic, or if some one seem like they know what the fuck they are doing, every one else will flock to them out of hope

Xmaster3000 and Bud-E like this.
  11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

hands grasp

Well. Guess those aren't considered to be in limited supply anymore.

, instead of ;

There are two possible ways this is correct: Either he's saying Harralax is a serf, or DC Comics used an anachronistic word incorrectly and you're just copying that. "Villein" isn't a synonym for "villain."

You're not wrong, V, but he doesn't want to believe it. And if he doesn't want to believe it, he doesn't believe it.

12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Eh, not really.

Hallalax still saved the Earth by reigniting the sun. Sure that was before the retcon, but if Hal was possessed than Parallax allowing Hal to sacrifice himself to save the Earth is telling.

Later, Parallax possessed Hal to fight Black Lantern Spectre in Blackest Night.

And in Convergence, Halallax travelled to Crisis with Barry and Superman and with their help the heroes kick the ever loving shit out of Anti-Monitor so Crisis was retconned. Sadly DC forgot about that 5 minutes after it happened.

So Parallax saved the Earth, helped save all life in the universe, and an infinite number of universes.

That's more good than a lot of superheroes can claim.

mastermenthe likes this.
  13. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

There's literally no content to the 'positive affirmation'. It doesn't even say you liked it! It doesn't show you read it, it's a polite form of "FIRST!!!" and nothing more. If an author finds it more cheering than a like... sorry, but they're just fooling themself. And, again, it clogs up the discussion for everyone else. Whatever reassurance an empty comment provides, active discussion of the content of the post/chapter/whatever surely provides much more.

This isn't RR yet.

RR is a lost cause. Loudly discouraging the first ones to bring their stupidity here is the best way to prevent QQ from becoming another. Consider how much effort and annoyance would have been saved if we'd made enough of a stink about Vaermina being a bitch to discourage him at the start.

I'm not doing this because I have a particular dislike for the guy I initially replied to. I'm not hiding them and don't expect to, and don't even remember the username: I'm doing this because this is how you defend a social norm against a competing norm. (Well, maximally effectively you do it more politely, but that takes constant engagement I don't have time for and also I find it slimy. Someone else is free to be the good cop and I'll happily shut up if that works.)

mastermenthe and Lord Ernest like this.
  14. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Welcome to the world of psychology. Human minds are not wholly rational things and people take comfort from or believe in things that are, in a large number of cases, entirely untrue or less efficient than just seeing the funny number go up. That's the reason office meetings often take place in person when email and video conferences are a thing, people aren't efficient or smart about this stuff. Denying that doesn't make you better or more correct than them in any way that matters, it just makes you look like either an idiot or an ass, usually both.

That's a faulty argument. You assume that Vearmina is the kind of person who would stop from peer pressure or people simply ignoring them. A very, very long post history on multiple sites can attest to the fact that they won't, and the same is likely to be true of may others who are sincerely thanking an author for a story the enjoy but lack any grand words to say, who can follow the same advice to just put someone on ignore I gave you if they seem to be an unreasonable dick about this.

Because at the end of the day being an asshole to make people stop doing something doesn't work, it just makes you look like an asshole. Which immediately telling someone to shut up and not comment unless they have slightly more entirely useless words to say makes you look like. This is a (mostly) free site where people can comment as they damn well please, and if you don't like it then go read the story only thread and spare the rest of us your impotent rage.

Ardy, mastermenthe and Vorian like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He doesn't call himself 'Lord' for fun.
    Were they supposed to be? Mage slayers are limited, were you thinking of them?
    What is RR?

16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Royal Road. It's a bit more like SB or SV from what little I know of it, maybe a bit less popular.

mastermenthe likes this.
  17. mastermenthe

Uh, other way around.
    RR is immensely popular, in terms of user passthru and total unique viewcount.
    QQ has more steady user base and user interaction, in comparison.

A prime example of this popularity difference: the Dungeon without a system is earning $1500 monthly purely from RR users, but has barely any traction on SV despite it and all his other fics being first born on SV before he began crossposting to RR.

Vorian and Assblaster5000 like this.
  18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Can't complain, then!

I was under the impression that he was able to manufacture them on his own but they were still physical objects that he kept stored in subspace. If he's shooting thousands of them without much of a second thought then he's stockpiled up enough that he basically doesn't have to worry about it anymore.

That is: This one wasn't a correction, just an observation.

19. Mr Zoat

True, but... You remember Lex Luthor's gun rampage in Inviolate? The SI has enough of them stored up that unless something stupid happens he effectively has unlimited shots. Subspace disruption is more likely than running out.

20. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

The only indication about ammo limit for his Crumbler Rounds was back when he was trading rounds to the Green Lantern from Hellhole (don't remember its real name). His opening ask was for ten thousand rounds and Paul responded that he didn't have ten thousand or anything like ten thousand.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That's Jack Chance, and to be honest most of the inhabitants of Garnet don't bother thinking of it by that name.

Here's the quote you were referencing:
    But that was February 2011 in-universe. It's currently January 2013.

As I said, he's been... stockpiling.

Vorian and mastermenthe like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    19:18 GMT

Malvolio's flame aura collapses, leaving only a few faint wisps protecting him from the vacuum of space. His eyes flicker with yellow light as Parallax does whatever it does to dig up his fears, and his other constructs fade to nothing.

I accelerate towards Parallax.

Gauntlet, activate.

Compliance.

"You intend to punch us? A classic-"

I swing, a clawed hand five times the size of my body appearing from nowhere and swinging to slap me aside. It disintegrates as it hits my fist and I fly on through-.

Parallax moves, appearing a few hundred metres away, clearly unfazed by my attack.

"-choice. Uncharacteristic."

Malvolio blinks once and then reignites, staring at Parallax with utter revulsion.

"You suppressed it, but you never stopped feeling it, did you? For centuries."

"My weaknesses do not govern me, demon."

"It sure looked like it governed you. Of course, since you never went back to Earth, you'll never know."

"Is it something you want to talk about, or shall we just get back to-?"

"My mother. After I mistakenly slew her lover. I explained my actions at once, but we were never reconciled. I fear that she died hating me."

"I know some really good necromancers. If you don't mind visiting Earth, we can see about communicating with her soul."

"'t'would be ungodly."

"No, I got the heavenly host to okay it. Not for you specifically, but in general."

"Then it would ease my mind greatly."

Jammer.

"But that's just the first! A man as old as you has fears aplenty. And you've spent so long drowning them out! Such a shame. If you'd actually processed them like a normal man instead of stamping down on them then-."

I see it coming a mile off, crumbler constructs shooting across the intervening space and nearly reaching him before he vanishes-.

Oooooh. That's what it looks like when someone tries to transition through a jammer effect.

"Yuugh..."

And that's what it looks like when the embodiment of fear reassembles its mortal body, because it's thoughts are contained within the yellow light and it mostly keeps the body going because very few people aren't at least a little afraid of death. But while they're distracted-

Desire amplification.

-let's introduce a little dissonance between host and graft.

Parallax blinks out, and Joseph Harrolds stares at me through the vacuum. Oh, darn it. I drop my jammer construct and transition towards him, a space suit-.

"Oh."

The Parallax construct rematerialises, two of its claws clasped around me.

"Let's see how you like it!"

Desire amplification.

"Fear us!"

It abandons subtlety, reaching… Reaching back into the thought echoes of my earliest ancestors. Fear of insects and snakes and strange noises and outgroups and they're all around me everywhere all the time! I'm shivering, quaking, barely able to get the empty lantern that should protect me must protect me she said it would protect me!

"What's that-?"

And I can think again as the yellow light around me dims and what I can see of Parallax through his hands looks confused.

Cables.

Compliance.

Glowing orange cables lunge out, connecting Parallax's hands to the empty battery as Malvolio grabs it around the head with giant construct gauntlets.

Desire amplification.

"Ah-? Ah?"

"You see, at a very fundamental level, the desires of a giant fear elemental and a remotely normal human aren't compatible. Whereas we understand one another very well. You want people to be afraid of you all the time and we just want them to want."

The cables surge and Parallax's construct body dims, Joseph's mouth returning to normal as he looks around-.

"You won't be rid of me so easily!"

Parallax's mouth moved but Joseph's didn't. Okay, their minds are separating, now-.

Parallax shines brilliantly for an instant and then shrinks, collapsing into-. Into Joseph's body. Ah.

Keep the cables attached, keep draining-.

Malvolio's construct hands slam closed around Joseph as Parallax downgrades him from partner to puppet. Joseph's skin writhes as if Parallax is trying to physically fit inside him, yellow light seeping out of every joint. And worst of all, this is something that Joseph is actually afraid of.

"No, that'sNot happening."

But enlightenment means that he's not ruled by it. Ah, stop amplifying his desires, because that's just going to be a distraction-.

Weaponer Lysis appears next to me in a flash of orange, qwa-bolt in hand. She aims-.

"No, don't do that."

She turns to me with a frown. "Why not?"

"Because-."

"I am entity Volthoom. Returning to prior owner."

Jade tosses the ring, which passes through Malvolio's construct hands and onto Joseph's right ring finger as Ragnar pulls her away again.

"Now. Get. OUT!"

The yellow light is thrown out, surging down my cables and igniting the lantern into a radiant bonfire. Joseph continues to glow, pushing just as hard as I pull to free himself. I get one last glimpse of Parallax's malevolent face before it vanishes into the lantern and its shielding panels slam down to contain it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  23. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Those... did not seem to be the SI's memories? What's that about an 'Empty Lantern'?

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"flicker with yellow"

"passes"

"before it"

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Lantern shakes once...twice...thrice...

Duh duh dududududu duh!

Parallax was caught!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That's the lantern that Lysis gave Paul to trap Parallax.

MasterG, Ardy, Wheenesss and 4 others like this.
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, looks like the surge of his fears was enough to smack Malvolio out of Determination mode for a moment at least. But he still has enough presence of mind to hold on to his environmental field. Impressive.

Crumbler gauntlet, eh? Going to engage in a bit of the old fisticuffs?

And probably a good idea, given how big Parallax is. Admittedly, it's like a bee trying to sting Godzilla...

Just because giant fists are goofy, that doesn't make them bad... Sometimes, you just need to swat a bug.

:oops: Oof. I don't think Parallax is going to enjoy the next few minutes.

Hey, getting real personal there, bug-boy.

...Somehow, I don't think so. After a while, the pain would fade, and she'd understand... Or maybe not.

Well, if it creeps you out that badly...

Heh. Nice work, defusing that lever for Parallax to work.

Oh, stop it, you. Can any fear be so powerful as thinking a loved one died hating you?

:confused: Why am I picturing a 'grated cheese' effect? Or that hallway scene from Resident Evil?

...And now I'm picturing the 'La Magra' bit from Blade... Such graphic imagery with so few words... :cool:

Heh. OL's speciality: a Spanner in the works.

Whoops. And that, Harrolds, is why you make your combat gear with its own atmosphere.

Ah, he was playing to OL's compassion. Sneaky sneaky.

Well, this little emotional cross-counter will be interesting.

Ha! Parallax just bit itself in the foot there...

And OL wasting no time to take advantage of their distraction.

And now the tug-of-war begins...

...Though one side has a little advantage over the other.

As much as a giant beast of elemental emotion can feel emotions other than what it's made of.

Ah, the bindings are loosening, eh? And without having to sing a song at him. :p Then again, OL and Ophidian's joining was a lot more voluntary. So of course it was harder to split them.

And the bug is trying to scuttle away and hide from the light. How appropriate.

Oh-ho. Harrolds pushed right past the wall by the immersion, eh?

Heh. If anything, pumping up his determination would be more effective.

...Do you want to explore what happens when you erase one-seventh of all emotion from existence? Or at least the embodiment of it? Let's not drop a second Crisis into the pool, huh?

Ooh, Jade giving the Ring up already? Bet she'll be glad to be rid of that damned voice.

Risky, but given that he'll likely be exhausted from this whole affair, I don't think he's going to be all that hostile.

And now OL has a Yellow Light Fountain.. of sorts.

Well, I can't help think OL was subconsciously mashing the 'B' button while they sucked the bug-type in... Fortunately, they never made that part of the game a quick-time event. :p Now, what will Joseph Harrolds become, now that he understands Fear on a level above most life in the universe. Bet his Crime Syndicate buddies will be in for a surprise...

...Not sure here. maybe 'are flung' or 'lunge'?

28. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ancient Ancestor Paul, from Cats control the world and Native American Tribe guards ancient civilization's robot universe?

29. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Not sure if the italic part is meant to be orange text? Seems like it was meant to be PaulPhidian speaking and not just Paul.

30. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I don't think the were is necessary?