1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Needed data, not a power source.

Studying the creatures connection to the yellow light of fear is what was needed, in order to emulate it, rather then try to siphon directly off the firehose of fear that is Parallax.

The OG yellow ring that Sinestro needed the fear of that whole planet dying to get enough info, and get enough raw fear to forge the ring, no fear bug required. Hinon made the orange ring out of her own desires, no greed snake required. I'm sure there might be ways to make it more efficient to do so, as the Guardians have with the green light and rings, but they do have Ion on tap to aid with it.

This weaponeer seems more focused on results, rather then the spectical and faith side of her race, and as far as we know she didn't need the Butcher to make a Red ring on the Renegade side. She's got skills.

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Probably "hyperdimensional"

3. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Hey, omake challenge for this fic. What do you think Batman's files say about OL at this point? I mean the emergency 'How to defeat/stop/kill' ones. I forgot the name Batman actually call them.

boo600 likes this.
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Use magic to teleport rings to inaccessible location.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Alright.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  6. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Wonder if Harrold will still get a Yellow Ring and Lantern. Parallax showing up was down to him as it seemed to be ignoring the signal until it had a host.

7. boo600

boo600 Welp

If you can get around the spell-eaters and his tattoos? Yeah, Paul is hyper-focused on the artifacts that make him better than Just A Normal Human; that’d work. Then you just blow him up before he summons them back!

At least temporarily. His soul is the Ophidian’s heart; barring qwa-matter, he’d go to the Honden or a clone. Meaning Batman can even use lethal force!

I mean, he won’t, but he could. Safely!

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Spell Eaters and Tattoo's only protect LePaul.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  9. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    19:39 GMT

"…than you do me?"

"I am entity Volthoom. I do not care who wields me."

I can tell from Jade's body language that her eyes are narrowing inside her helmet.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Volthoom, I'm hurt. All the years we've been together, and you abandon me for this… Woman."

"Correction. You abandoned me for a Weaponer."

"I was trying to become more deadly. For you."

"Lie detected. You were too weak to effectively use my power. You only want to use it for yourself."

"Did I come at a bad time?"

Lantern Harrolds stares at his ring. "No."

"Because if it's really annoying you, we can give you an orange one?"

His eyes slide towards me. "And your woman gets this?"

"Unless you've got a plan for it. I'm curious about how it works."

"Excuse me."

"I wouldn't complain about being referred to as 'your man'." Huh. "Actually, I'd quite like it. Ah, how was using it?"

"Difficult. Not as user friendly as the orange ring. And the voice is annoying. I don't think it's my kind of weapon."

"Tool. But, yeah, Harrolds? How long did it take you to get good with it?"

"Oh. Basic shields and beams and flying took… Three days? Actual constructs that do things took weeks. I ended up mostly training for strength. Simple, reliable stuff."

I nod, looking at Jade. "The Green Lantern version of you I met at Vanishing Point trained for years with Alan's ring before becoming a Sector Lantern. Green rings are… Hard."

"Your man's right." He smirks at me and I nod in gratitude. "Holding the images in your head… It's not a normal way of thinking about things."

"I'll bear that in mind. I think I prefer normal weapons."

Ah, darn. No point talking to Malvolio about that, then. I turn to Harrolds.

"How did you get it?"

"Found it in a shop." He shrugs. "Chinese knick-knack place. No one was using it. Don't think the owner knew what it was." He takes a slow breath. "So what happens now?"

"You're free to go. Unless you need a lift back to the anti-matter universe, in which case you can wait until I'm finished here."

"'Anti-matter'? But we're-?" He gets it. "Oh, right. Yeah, I don't think I could picture the transition clearly enough to do it myself."

"Right. Do you want to talk to Lord Malvolio before that?"

"I don't think we'd get on. Him and that other green Power Ring are powerful, but I've already got what I needed."

"Jade, I realise that this was a bit more exciting that I planned, and that you're due some downtime."

"Is there a 'but' coming?"

"Er… I'm going to try visiting New Genesis next. Should be peaceful and I'd appreciate the company, but I completely understand if you want to do something restful instead, and I know how high-stress events can impede judgement."

"Can you handle it?"

"The Justice League rescued a group of New Genesis children a while ago. And they know about me and the Ophidian. I should at least get a hearing, and Izaya's usually pretty even-tempered. Yes."

"Then I'm going back to Maltus and booking myself into a spa. Because you're right about judgement getting impaired."

I nod. "I'll see you there when I'm finished on New Genesis."

"That includes you."

"I… Not-. I can handle it better. Once Earth's safe again, I can… Take a breather."

"Until the next thing. You should still take someone with you."

"Yes, that had occurred to me. I'll see you later."

I step out

and reappear a little way from Malvolio, who is… Watching in the direction that Dennap left in.

"There's probably a lot that they could teach you."

"Power I have and skill I can learn. But they cannot allay my fears, and it seems that I cannot either."

"I don't know your mother, so I can't guess how she felt. You told me that it was a regrettable mistake."

"And I do regret it, and have done penance for it. But… My mother would not have… If she did not love him. And I killed him."

"Are you still a Christian?"

"It has been some time since my last communion, but aye, I am."

"Then you have repented the deed and you'll see them both in Heaven. If that's too long, necromancy remains an option. But if Parallax saying that has ruffled your feathers significantly, maybe you need to do something."

Malvolio floats in space for a moment, and then opens a burning green door in space

"I shall consider the matter. Fare thee well."

I nod as he leaves, and then-.

"Illustres!"

"Lantern Ragnar. Satisfied?"

He flies up to me, armour glowing.

"It was fun, but… Parallax did not challenge my will the way it did to you and Malvolio."

"You could head over to Oa, if you wanted. They might let you expose yourself to Parallax under controlled conditions. Or…" I fabricate a cylinder of fear chemical. "You could try this. It should work on your species, but I recommend using it without your ring on."

He takes it from me, smiling. "Thank you, Illustres. Where will you go now?"

"New Genesis. I need-. Oh. whoops."

20th January 2013
    19:44 GMT

The great yellow demon could arrive at any moment, and the Illustres isn't here. I don't know what could have delayed him-.

I run through his mental exercises once more and check the position of the fleet around Sereaven. My home.

And I will die before I let him touch-.

My ring glimmers as the Illustres finally sends me a message, and I view it at once!

"Oh."

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  10. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

11. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Presumably this merits some cleaning up?

moralrelativity and BlackCoat13 like this.
  12. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Broken thingy

moralrelativity and BlackCoat13 like this.
  13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Oh my god Paul.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I will stand fast. Nothing can deter me in defense of my home. This will be the greatest challenge ev...!

Incoming message

"Bee tee doublewoops, Parallax got nommed, k thx by!"

15. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

He HAS been rather busy....cut the man some slack.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I'm a little disappointed that Jade isn't going to be Malvolio's first recruit.

18. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Having the will to use a green ring despite it not being your preferred weapon should make her more qualified than most

19. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Wondering what that door technique is that Malvolio is using. Last we heard his ring still didn't have a functioning AI.

20. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

You may want to see a urologist for that.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ha! Harrolds went through all this, and Volthoom's decided he's not up to snuff? That's got to sting some. Still, it's not like Jade should just keep it. She doesn't really need it.

See, clearly part of Jade's training involved Obscured Body Language 101. naturally very important given the typical League of Shadows operations uniform.

Oh, is the ring going to give him the 'It's not you, it's me' speech?

Seriously, this really sounds like they were dating. :D

Got to wonder what Volthoom wants its power used for, then...

Hopefully one with some special security settings, I hope...

I, for one, wonder how much of the 'I am Entity Volthoom' is AI and how much is a trapped soul?

Fair's fair, after all. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

I mean, Jade did need weaponry more than she wanted tools...

On the other hand, a master of a Green Ring is quite the skilled Ring-Slinger.

No need to worry about them dissolving if you get distracted, for one thing.

...Seriously, so many origins for Crime Syndicate Power Rings.

...Huh. That was lucky. Or fate. Still, I expect he's extra dependent on OL's help right now...

...Now that would be an interesting conversation. But likely to see violence...

Oh, right, this was supposed to be a day off. OL and his busman's holidays.

...And there's also the matter of whether they'd allow him in.

...The opening moment of that visit is going to involve guns pointed at him, isn't it? Lots of guns? :D

Yeah, a little pampering will be good for her, I think.

...Why do I get the feeling that sense of responsibility is going to lead him to make a critical mistake?

I pity whoever gets that job.

Curiosity? Wistful thoughts of what could have been if they'd allowed him to serve? Who knows?

Sadly, Guardians don't really deal well with anything that isn't Will. Too much of it flowing in their veins.

There's probably a little embarrassment of having to think that way about his mother, too. You know, the whole 'oh god, my parents do the sex?' issue kids seems to find difficult to process...

...Man, imagine the face of the priest having to hear that confession...

He's got a lot to think about, I see.

Well, that was a pleasant farewell. On to the next.

Bet he feels a little blue-balled about testing himself against his fear back there...

...Careful, now. Don't want to get addicted to the rush. Just look at what happened to Dr Crane.

...Now what, OL? What could you possibly have forgotten?

Ah, right. This young Lantern.

Well, look at you, all determined to keep your home safe...

...Yeah, that's got to be a little frustrating.

Still, better to be a little frustrated at a lack of action, than having to stand against a primal Emotional Entity. That would not end well for any rookie Lantern. At any rate, OL finally reaching out to the enemy of Mannheim's backer. How will New Genesis respond, I wonder? At least we can hope that Izaya isn't the New 52 Era arsehole...

"I'll bear that in mind. I think I prefer normal weapons."

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Welcome to the thing you should have done weeks ago.

Otto von Saurion and Bud-E like this.
  23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Missing full stop.

24. Mr Zoat

What manner of papist heresy is that?
    Thank you, corrected.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think we were once shown an image of him, maybe when the renegade was attacked that showed him as being his pre-Flashpoint self.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Doesn't mean he's safe.

Gods and Monsters had him going Red Wedding, after all.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Who exactly was that Orange Lantern Paul forgot to inform?

Xmaster3000 and Chefscobar like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point.

It was honestly one of the few instances where we saw why you shouldn't fuck with him.

That and the threat he issued Darkseid after Orion destroyed the Apokaliptian fleet.

Granted, I don't remember much about his appearances in the comics, so there may be more.

A recruit from the planet that the Reach ruled by threatening their eggs.

30. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I think the only interaction we saw with Izaya was when Renegade negotiated the Forever People back to him.