1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Ultraman snorts kriptonite?

It's this the guy that was small Ville Superman strong and then gets stronger in the pressense of green kriptonite somehow, even though blue fucks him over?

I never understood that nonsense.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Well I didn't understand that middle sentence.

3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

In short Kriptonite rules make no sense, with different colors generating different outcomes and sometimes the same colors producing different results on a per kriptonian basis.

Is far more simple to keep things straight when they do the same thing and that isn't always the case with Kriptonite in your fic (a result of Detective Comics inconsistent sources).

I mean Kara wanting to fuck Paul after touching black kriptonite was an interesting plot development, but more often than not I consider their involvement detrimental to the plot.

kerleth and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Did Power Ring take Deathstorm's chair? Why wouldn't he take Ultraman's?

kerleth, Xmaster3000 and Wheenesss like this.
  5. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I knew what that link would be before I even tapped it.

True Ninja and Xmaster3000 like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Yes, different colours of kryptonite doing different things is DC canon. Each piece of red kryptonite causes a different mutation, but other than that they're fairly consistent about what each colour does.

7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

My bad I didn't read that right. But why does Deathstorm need to make a new chair then?

8. Mr Zoat

It got knocked over when he got out of the way and he decided to use that as an opportunity to demonstrate what he can do.

9. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, half the reason Tyrants are so horrible as rulers is they get so paranoid about being killed or forced out of power by someone or some group of people. Fear Enlightenment should greatly mitigate that especially when he has a power ring for surveillance and protection. I can see this Power Ring telling Owlman that he gets to stay no 2 in order to help keep the rest of the Society in check and keep the Society the top dogs in the Solar System.

kerleth likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: Fear Ourself (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    17:21 EST

"Oh." Thomas spots my guest the moment the egg-covered airlock doors to the Fortress's interior opens. "And here I was nearly starting to respect you."

I stick up a construct wall but he's already stopped.

"She looks like an ofisuredī blow-up doll. If that's what you want, I can get you a better one." He tilts his head slightly to the side. "Or is it that you want to take everything that Ultraman had?"

"Owlman, you'd probably survive if I threw you off the Fortress, but I don't think you'd enjoy it much. So why don't you fuck off on your own?"

A very thin smile appears on his lips. "I'll check in with you once I've had the chance to go over Ultraman's ongoing projects. They should be fine. I can't imagine that he had any useful input into them."

I pointedly watch as he walks back across the landing pad and gets back into the owlwing. I keep watching until it's off the Fortress, and then activate the shield. And then I breathe out, and pull an injector containing a load of red kryptonite out of my equipment harness before turning around.

Thomas was right. It's obscene, really. And not remotely attractive to anyone who knows what women actually look like. Tits like beach balls, bursting out of a blouse and jacket combo. A belt-skirt that would nearly work, except that her ass is weirdly out of proportion with her legs and waist. And she's watching me…

"Here."

I toss the injector to her and she catches it with impressive precision.

"Red? You..?"

"Yeah. Dead."

She grimaces, pulls the blouse away from her right breast and jams the injector into an exposed vein before pushing the plunger.

And then she sags, breasts shrinking and ass tightening to proportions that looks like those of a normal human woman. She's not, but from the outside you wouldn't know the difference. There are a few other changes as well: her facial proportions shift back into what I remember, and… She actually gets a little taller.

She puts the empty injector on the table and pulls her clothes tighter around her, buttoning up the formerly unbuttonable blouse.

"Good riddance."

"I'm not arguing. You alright?"

She looks at me like-. Yeah, okay. "No."

"Sorry, stupid question. You..? Yourself?"

"Yes." She moves her arms and legs, clothes no longer fitting properly. "As far as I remember. I'll check the records later." She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath in, then opens then as she snorts the air out, making eye contact with me. "Thank you."

I just nod.

"The last living member of my species and he turned out to be completely worthless. So, you're in charge. What happens now?" She walks awkwardly over to a seat -the only one in the room, because why would Ultraman ever offer a seat to someone else?- with one hand on her skirt and another around her chest, and sits down. "I assume that you're taking control of his syndicates."

"I could. I'd rather offer them to you."

I take a few steps closer, and when she doesn’t freak out I make myself a chair and sit down opposite her.

"Why?"

"You told me you had the training."

"I'm a trained infiltration administrator, yes. I could do the job. Nightwing knows I couldn't be worse at it." She snorts quietly. "You know that I was trained to make myself indispensable to planetary governments in order to facilitate the kryptonian conquest of those worlds, right?"

"Until your people tried it with Godfather Izaya, yeah. But I think I can trust you. Not like there's anyone left you can hand this place over to."

She nods cautiously. "That still doesn’t explain 'why'?"

"Ultraman was a fool. His people are used to having free rein. If I take it over, I'm going to get nothing but idiots fighting me for years before I turn it into something I can actually use. I'd rather give it to you. They know you-."

"They know me as his toy!"

"It's no secret, what Owlman and Superwoman are doing. Make up something about needing to continue the species, then fry anyone who mentions it twice with heat vision."

"You recovered his kryptonite stash?"

"What was left."

She snarls. "He burned through a lifetime supply in a year! The kryptonite was there for the final push, not for daily use! He was supposed to become an opinion-former, not a warlord! Gah!"

"Why did you two even come to Earth in the first place?"

"We were configured to infiltrate New Genesis. When that… Fell through, this was the only place we could come."

"Configured? So… This isn't how you really look?"

She frowns at me. "Yes, it's how I really look..?" Her forehead flattens out as she gets my point. "Oh. No, we're configured in the womb. I've always looked… Human. It's easier if the children grow up in the form they'll need. My parents look-. Looked different, but this is me."

She snorts, looking away.

"Glory to Krypton."

"You going to be alright, taking over?"

"I'll use a few kryptonite injections to make my point, then use equipment from his armoury the rest of the time. That was why he was such a moron, I'm sure of it. Kryptonite overuse is a bad idea."

"But you'll be okay?"

"I'll have to be. And I'll tell my syndicate to play nice with yours; I know which side my bread is buttered on. What's next for the Syndicate, oh Chairman? Ultraman was babbling something about the anti-matter universe."

"The traits that make a good leader don't make a good follower. And down there-" I glance towards the window, through which we can see the Earth. "-is a planet full of people who think they should be the boss. The anti-matter version of Earth is having a hard time right now."

"And they're so weak-willed that they'll make a better workforce than the local humans." She nods. "How hard a time?"

"They've been infected with psychic clinical depression and attacked by their evil version of Darkseid."

"So they'll volunteer. How charitable-" My ring flashes. "-of you."

"The path to profit may be paved with good intentions, but it's probably a coincidence. Yeah?"

Sinestro's face appears over my ring, and I sit up a little straighter.

"Sinestro."

"Good to see you again, Power Ring. I trust that things went well?"

"Yeah. They did. I'm ready for the next step. And so's Lysis. Let's get this done."

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  11. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah, so that's how it's going to go bad. The Anti-verse is going to kidnap civilians for their own use. Oh, sorry take the clinically depressed and mentally altered 'volunteers'.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So Paul was being played the entire time.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Now I can't help but imagine him sitting in a dark room while people come to him to ask for favors.

He was supposed to become a politician?

The Kryptonians truly had some fucked up goals.

So they're like the Kryptonians from that fanfic where they're eels.

13. Celtic Spartan

Celtic Spartan Know what you're doing yet?

well, that can't possibly backfire horribly.

14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I fucking knew these guys couldn't be trusted! The War of Light, I tell ya! The War of Light is coming!

15. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

In Smallville IIRC there was green, red, blue and black (superheated green) kryptonite, plus one-off uses of glitter (modified red, plus Zatanna's magic) and silver (fake, created by brainiac, caused paranoia). They added gold in the last season but only in very small quantities, both on earth 1 and 2.

They established that green and blue had inverse effects on Bizarro (boosting and supercharging, to the point of losing containment), but the same effects on earth-2 kryptonians as earth-1, which I think is different to Zoat's rule that (say) blue-1 and blue-2 might look about the same but can have entirely different mechanisms and effects on K-1 and K-2. Zoat also established that at least in the Renegade timeline, red K has the comics' traditionally random effects rather than Smallville's consistent effect.

We never saw earth-2 kryptonians or Bizarro interact with black, red, "silver" or "glitter", or Bizarro with gold.

When Bizarro drained Green it turned white, but that was implied to be a reduced to a paperweight instead of the comics' white K working on plants.

16. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

so i just came back after not reading this for a while....did paul get a green ring? or is this an alternate paul? did final crisis happen in the alternate paul's earth too? is the fact that ultraman is an infiltrator from krypton a thing from the comics? or did zoat copy from Invincible?

Relyt33 likes this.
  17. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

I find it mildly amusing that most universes think of themselves as the regular matter universe and others as the "anti" matter universe.

kerleth, Alexandercctv, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  18. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

were looking in Power Ring right now.

kerleth, Ardy, mastermenthe and 2 others like this.
  19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh. Ultraman not dead even a day and already the vultures are gathering to pick over his loot. No loyalty amongst erstwhile allies in this universe. Still, no doubt he had a few nice toys that everyone would want to get their hands on, so it's understandable.

An Office Lady? Curious. I wonder who this could be? (And why doesn't it surprise me that Owlman knows the Japanese slang term for them? :D Closeted Weeaboo!)

No doubt Ultraman had more than a few irons in the fire dependent on his super-strength intimidating 'lesser' folk into toeing his official line...

Seriously, who even is this person? o_O The local equivalent of Kara Zor-El?

...Shit, she's a Kryptonian, isn't she? And from the sounds of it, under the effects of a Kryptonite-induced metamorphic event. o_O ...Wonder which colour does that in this universe, if Red can fix it?

At least there's plenty of space to aim. :oops:

Not providing new clothes, Harrolds? Or is that level of precision still a little beyond you right now? Or would she take offence at the offer?

...Still, it sounds like he has history with her.

I doubt Ultraman would have had the smarts to apply any mental conditioning, but KIMEs do have mental effects sometimes.

And enjoy the effect that deep breath had on her no-doubt-still-impressive physique? Discreetly, of course.

Definitely feeling either Evil Kara, Ursa or Faora vibes from her...

Hmm.. What cape name could she take, I wonder? Superwoman is out, of course. Ultrawoman? Power Woman?

Nightwing, in this case, being a dark deity of Old Krypton, and presumably one of evil (rather than hunting it) in this universe.

'Godfather' Izaya, eh? Let me guess, he makes worlds 'offers they can't refuse'? Ones where New Genesis invade them if they refuse their 'protection'...

I suspect after the first couple of atrocities, they'll cotton on that you're not to be messed with.

Since in this universe, Kryptonians draw power from the irradiated minerals, rather than die of super-cancer.

Bet he saw how they reacted and went 'I could become a big deal around here. Much better than being a soldier!'

Going by the 'last of their kind' comments, Krypton in this universe is just as assploded as the matter universe, huh?

Designer genetics. A common trait of late-era Krypton. In some continuities, it's why they're strong and tough even without yellow sun radiation.

Nothing left but smoking ashes now.... So better to find something new.

Because of course dosing yourself with super-serums is bad. But it does explain so much, I suppose.

The Positive Universe, once again. Man, it can be hard to keep track of things...

Don't underestimate them, now. You might find some nasty surprises popping up...

Oh, someone calling him? Via Ring Transmission, at that...

:confused: ...Fuuuuuck. This whole episode was a Sinestro plot, wasn't it?

Well, then. Sinestro Corps, coming eventually!

I'm guessing 'Ultrawoman' there (or whatever criminal cape name she chooses) is something of an OC. Not that there's a lot about any version of the reversed-morality Earths on the main DC Wiki. But that twist at the end. :eek: Goddamn, did anyone see that coming? It looks like Sinestro won't have to use Deputy Rings for much longer, now that Lysis has the information she needs to begin mass-production...

It's a tale. To sum up: This is the Anti-Matter Universe's of Earth 16's Joseph Harrolds, aka Power Ring of the Crime Syndicate. Not 'Power Ring Blue' Paul's universe, that's Earth -14.

OL was investigating Kalmin's backstory of killing a planet with Fear when they found him (as seen in this episode.) Apparently, he was in search of a power-up to his ring-slinging skills... And he got that. In spades.

Believe me, you definitely want to go catch up. ;) It's quite a ride.

20. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

This starting to make less sense. I'm I get Sinestro and Lysis working together, but why Power Ring also am I to believe that Power Ring gaining fear enlightenment was on purpose or just a happy accident? Another thing I'm wondering now was Harrold and Parallax target the approved target was this always a plot against Paul?

Wetbananas, Ardy, Wheenesss and 2 others like this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

LePaul got played sooo hard. :D

Khornelius likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No honor among thieves.

He could still be a hunting deity, just a god of evil hunting.

And if they refuse I'm betting he sends Orion, the passionless son of Darkseid who he kidnapped and brainwashed into serving him, so that he can convince them why New Genesian protection is needed.

I'm guessing Izaya wasn't too pleased with their little takeover attempt.

kerleth and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  23. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

And Zoat introduces yet another Supergirl. I've literally lost count.
    We need one alternate that winds up with her i think.

Ardy, mastermenthe and Prince Charon like this.
  24. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

played by who?

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well there's Harrold, Sinestro and Lysis the Weaponer.

transhumansage, Ardy and mastermenthe like this.
  26. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I feel like Paul should consider going back to his old ways of mind-reading everyone he meets, at least when it comes to people he doesn’t know well.
    Well, that’s just natural. I find it way funnier that Kalmin calls his own universe the anti-matter universe.
    As I understand it, Power Ring was there partly to be a test subject to attract Parallax, and also he was hoping to get enlightenment, but that wouldn’t have been likely without Paul inadvertently helping him. They were attracting Parallax to help with understanding the yellow light so that they could make rings. I’m pretty sure that this was not a plot against Paul all along.
    When Harrolds says that he’s ready for the next step, I’m pretty sure that he’s talking about helping with making yellow rings, and it has nothing to do with his plans to invade Earth 16. It’s just a coincidence that he wants to invade, because there was a pre-existing plan to invade, and now that he learned from Paul that Earth 16 is fucked, he’s more interested in the plan, both because it makes it easier, and because he seems to want to help.

kerleth, True Ninja, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

No, worse: an influencer.
    The Metropolitan Man.

kerleth, True Ninja, c3qo and 10 others like this.
  28. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

That's always bugged me about universe numbering in comics. Why do all the universes apparently use the same metric?

kerleth likes this.
  29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Definitely something they didn’t think through in the comics, but earlier in this story it was explained that the numbers aren’t arbitrary, but the reasoning is too complex for Paul to understand. Or so I recall, at least.

Rebu and boo600 like this.
  30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It was likely a plot to capture Parallax.

Lysis's capture lantern probably shunted the thing to Sinestro's new central power battery.