1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Not very.

Daemon Weapons are weird with what they can do. Like, there's one type of minor Daemon you can bind that basically creates a weapon that increases in power with every being killed... And it has no upper limit...

That said. Given his ring hasn't been effected by null fields that's probably just this Paul making up wild theories to throw the Tau off the track.

No, that's a Canon thing. If I remember right it was an old human ship.

transhumansage, boo600, KenNM and 2 others like this.
  2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Old ship, unlike anything else seen.

And she was very pointedly staring at the image of Krona.

I have a bad feeling about this...

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Are you perhaps thinking of quantify?

"To measure or judge the size or amount of something," hard c sound.

m_d, Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    You're right!
    Thank you, corrected.
    Honestly? Craftworld Eldar culture would probably let them handle it.
    Meh'lindi could turn into a Genestealer Hybrid.
    [​IMG]
    That's Warhammer 40,000 canon, by the way.
    Tau can be very utilitarian. If he was into eating people, she's probably be willing to trade her right arm for that knowledge.
    No, the tau got their warp drive from it and Star Trek warp drives work very differently.

Could be the Event Horizon.
    YES!

m_d, mastermenthe, Cuchulin and 14 others like this.
  5. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Yes. It's called 'Author appeal'.
    More Watsonian, Paul hasn't kept his xenophilia exactly a secret, so it's an easy button to push.

Jaron, mastermenthe, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘Segmentum’?
    Until this prompted me to look it up, I also thought there was a centre to the universe. Huh.
    Is he making orange constructs, or holograms with colour? Just seems like he’d be missing some nuance if the former.

7. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

Cuchulin, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

So what are the chances this ship is Maltusian?

9. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

So... Potentially a MILFy Mommy?

Hold up, we can negotiate this!

10. Mr Zoat

Not really. A tau admiral will have a pretty good understanding of the psychology of Imperial Navy officers, but won't really know much about humans in general. She knows that he's willing to have relations with a tau female, so is willing to do that in exchange for something else she wants. It's a trade. She doesn't find him attractive, and... At her age, probably doesn't even think about other tau in that way.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I only found out when writing it.
    Constructs.
    GOTR, really. Grandmother who's been On The Rack.

11. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

do you play the wargame on the tabletop? do you collect and paint?

12. Mr Zoat

I played Tyranids in 2nd Edition. That's why I'm so bitter about everything that came later.

I have a Jokaero army that probably isn't legal or good, and a tank company which might be.

In other news, did you know that neither Abin Sur's daughter or Indigo-1 have canonical names?

13. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

no i didnt. but that is interesting. are they going to be featured in this fic anytime soon?

whats the difference? let me guess, they were more than just all about the hunger (nom nom nom).

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, they were extraordinarily broken as an army.

transhumansage likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

The daughter's dead, so no. Indigo-1, maybe. Thing is, their names are like quarrian faces: within the setting they're easy to discover.
    Ah, man.

Movement. In 2nd edition, units had a movement value. Marines, humans and orks had a movement of 4". Eldar moved 5". Tyranids generally moved 6". More than that, because things like running or moving through cover were a multiplier rather than a dice roll, movement was more predictable. And for each 10" a unit moved incoming fire was at -1 to hit. That meant that tyranids could run 12" towards the enemy reliably, be harder to hit with guns and the enemy couldn't run away faster than the tyranids could chase them. In 3rd, everyone moved 6", running wasn't a thing and there were no benefits to moving fast. As was stated in White Dwarf at the time, tyranids went from being the fastest race to being the slowest due to lack of transport vehicles or jump packs on their assault units.

Armour penetration. In 2nd, weapons and melee attacks had a save modifier. When something got hit, its armour save was modified by that amount. S6 genestealers hit with a -3 save modified, so most things didn't get much of a save. In 3rd edition, things either got their full save or nothing, and only power weapons and monstrous creatures bypassed armour. Genestealers went from being the scariest close combat unit in the game to being a joke that would bounce off tactical marines. Lictors went from one being a pain to needing broods of them to do anything at all.

3rd edition carnifexes had a 5+ invulnerable save, rather than the 3+ on 2D6 armour save they had in 2nd. This means that rather than being a tanky unit that needed heavy anti-armour weapons to deal with it, they now died easily to basic weapons that they used to be completely immune to.

In 2nd edition, tyranids had upgrades called biomorphs which stood in for the wargear cards other races had. In 3rd they lost all of their equipment options. They still haven't got most of them back.

16. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Around the advent of 3rd edition a lot of the character of armies changed from a collection of fairly individual and customized units into larger armies with more generic units. 3rd was a bit easier to learn and pick up, but early third was fairly generic and simple. I'd say it was mostly a 'how do I sell more minis' development because units got larger. 'Nids in early 3rd were a horde army where you didn't really customize models, you customized (barely) a whole unit and threw them down range. It was a rough time for hordes, and late 3rd where a few army lists started to get some real character back to them.

This was right around where the term 'Distraction Carnifex' came into vogue, where you would throw the big chunky meaty unit down range as a bullet sponge so your other units can get into range without being peppered to death.

Xmaster3000 and mastermenthe like this.
  17. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Technically, if something really is infinite, then any or all of it can be the center... Because it goes on forever.

It also depends on your perception, so if we say the Earth is the center of our universe, then it is, due to our perception of it as such.

Xmaster3000 and mastermenthe like this.
  18. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Butcher's Blood

20th January 2013
    21:05 GMT

Sereaven still looks to be in a good condition as Ragnar and I fly towards Lantern Lacuray. The only real change is that the ships are formed up close to the planet rather than being in a dispersed formation to respond to raids. Inviting her to come along would have been a bad idea; I picked her up because I thought that defending her home would give her the power boost that she'd need to become relevant. Still, given how gung-ho most Orange Lanterns are, I feel that I've wronged her slightly. Hopefully this will make up for it.

"Illustres." She comes alert as we approach, drawing herself up slightly. "The fear demon will not be coming here?"

"Not any time soon, if the Guardians know their business. Which they generally do. So you've got a choice. You can go back to Maltus and continue your training, or you can accompany Lantern Ragnar and I on a diplomatic mission with a minimal chance of combat."

"There isn't.. any threat to Sereaven?"

"The Reach remains a threat to Sereaven, but I'm not aware of any new imminent threat to Sereaven, no. Parallax is going back to Oa and Joseph Harrolds has returned to his home planet."

"You left him alive?"

"Yes?"

"I-. Oh, I didn't mean to question you, sir."

"You can question, politely. As to why he's still alive, it's because we're not at war with him or his people at the moment. He hasn't hurt us or ours except while Parallax was in his head. Because we could take him alive without undue risk. And because I'm trying to be a little more discerning in who I kill."

Ragnar nods. "To be killed by the Illustres is an honour one must earn."

I try to smile in a way that indicates that she should ignore that comment.

"Where are you going?"

"New Genesis. Long way from here, so I'll probably have to tow both of you. It's mostly jungle, with a small floating city that has virtually all of their technologically advanced civilisation on it. No real relationship with any Maltusian faction, but I know the ruler's son and daughter-in-law. They're usually pretty friendly, in a slightly high-handed sort of way, so if you treat them like Maltusians who haven't forgotten how to breed you'll probably do alright."

"Will I need to talk to them?"

"Not for any negotiation. Talking casually is fine."

"How big an empire do they rule?"

"No, it's just the one flying city. They're just advanced enough that they can sustain a large spacefaring military without a particularly large population base."

Not sure why they don't expand, even if they limited themselves to taking a few uninhabited worlds to build new flying cities over. My guess would be that their nature encourages them to focus on their own individual excellencies rather than the strengthening of their society, but that is just a guess.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure why Mr. Free and Barda don't have children. This is our first major contact with Apokolips since Kanto tried to kill Canis. Before that, Darkseid was completely ignoring them. They had plenty of time to settle down and start a family. Barda certainly wasn't exercising her divine capacity for violence in any significant way… Maybe they're just not children-people.

"Then I would like to accompany you, Illustres."

"Rightoh. Illustres to local admiral."

"Admiral Scratch-Click here."

"I'm detaching Lantern Lacuray from your command to mine. That won't cause any problems, will it?"

"No. One more Lantern doesn't make much difference to our defence plans. Where are you taking her?"

Technically, he doesn't need to know, and spreading that information risks other people who shouldn't hear about it. But the Reach finding out that I'm talking to New Genesis doesn't really cause a problem for us, They're not going to involve themselves in this war whatever I say, and the Reach could find that out by asking them politely. Which, to be fair, would probably be what they'd start with. And while the Reach might make common cause with Apokolips to keep me distracted, there's no way they'd pursue an actual alliance. Which means that they don't have much of a motivation to stop me talking to New Genesis about something not related to their war with us.

If anyone's feeling uncharacteristically rational.

Heh.

"New Genesis, but not for anything that will affect our war with the Reach. It's just that some things can't be left until a convenient time."

"Understood. Scratch-Click out."

"Right. Now, we're going to be warping to a system that's quite a long way from New Genesis so that I can try to communicate with them."

I could go back to Earth and borrow a boom tube, but that risks someone on the Apokoliptian side hearing about it and taking action.

"Yes, Illustres."

Ragnar looks thoughtful. "Do they have a duelling tradition?"

"Yes, though unless someone's very eager, I'd rather that you held off-."

He holds up his hands, palms facing me.

"I am a prince, not an uncultured barbarian. Of course I would learn their customs before duelling on their soil."

I think he sees the scepticism on my face.

"The Orange Lanterns I challenged, we went to neutral grounds before fighting."

Ring, check-.

"Outside of their worlds' cities, you mean."

"Yes, of course."

That would… Probably work for New Genesis. The way that nation states work with regard to claiming territory on Earth isn't universal. Betrassus still has substantial areas between settlement that technically aren't controlled by anyone.

"I'll trust your judgement on the matter."

"Thank you, Illustres."

Oh, he'll name his terms in advance.

I extend tethers to each of them, plotting a course and warping space as we connect. I… Think that Ragnar could cope with a brief dip in the Honden at this point, but Lacuray is far too new to consider it.

"Three, two, one, warping."

The system vanishes to our rear, stars blurring around us. This sort of faster than light travel actually… It's pretty, giving you the chance to watch the universe fly by. Stepping out lacks that, though it's so much faster that I almost always use it.

"This is gratifying, Illustres." Ragnar grins. "Every time you show me something like this, I am shown the path to my own improvement. When we have more time I would like it if you would critique my own technique."

"Certainly. I'd be happy to. Lantern Lacuray, how to you feel about being the furthest travelled member of your species?"

"A combination of awe and terror, Illustres."

"A very sensible attitude. It never pays to become habituated to what we can do. Warp terminating in three, two, one."

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

This makes me think of a Star Trek Paul.

Zoat, would he like the Feds or would he consider them complacent or something? Would he try to argue with them about Augments? What would a talk with Q look like?

There actually exists a Labtern/2009 Trek crossover comic, so it even would be semi-cabon that Rings work in Trek.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing Big Red this episode.

So there's going to be a lit of combat.

No, you should always question him.

Well that's not exactly the case anymore.

I think that you'll feel that he's worth killing fairly soon.

They may have escaped Darkseid, but that doesn't mean that they're no longer afraid of him.

As long as he's around then any child they may have is at risk of falling into his hands, and they probably don't want that to happen.

21. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Is it Red Light of Rage time? So Ysmault and 5 Inversions visit, possibly?

It's funny that Ragnar has grown on me. Especially in comparison to that Zartok guy and his unabashed Starscream personality.

kerleth, True Ninja, Istaran and 3 others like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, that title has meaning. The obvious one is that OL will be looking into avenues for a Red Ring... But let's not take that as read. I mean, he could easily run into the Butcher itself, or come into conflict with some warlord with a reputation for bloody combat...

Nice to have a name for the local rookie. Now, if I could only remember their faces...

To be fair, I'm not sure the latter option will be safer. Still, a chance to work with two of the strongest Lanterns in the Corps? Hard to pass up...

Presumably she knows enough about the situation to know who they are. If only to know who the danger is and that they could have done.

Which we know is bound to bite him in the arse sooner or later. :p

Bit late for a no-kill run, but easing off on causal gibbing should improve your karma somewhat...

And goddamn, I can picture that smile. Slightly worried eyes, with a sidelong glance and a tightening of the cheeks...

I'm guessing the Ring's Database naturally has very little info, hence his impromptu briefing.

Just try not to blab any sensitive information you might know... Though given her rank, that's probably not much.

They joy of being able to open portals to simply step into whatever warzone they need to.

I'm guessing producing children is a bit of an undertaking for them. More than just the physical involved, for example.

Ah, the transfer of command, eh? Though his rank lets him bypass most of the paperwork... Hopefully.

...A bit awkward to just say it like that, but I bet Lacuray had no illusions about her usefulness. Not that it'd have stopped her fighting.

Don't be too sure, OL. Never underestimate the foolishness of villainy.

Ah, good, you're not that naive. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it's well overdue. But sadly, OL is easily sidetracked, as we well know

And popping out of a Boom Tube laden with energies that New Genesis would recognise as the Anti-Life probably wouldn't endear you to them.

...Please, don't go triggering any feuds... Though I'll bet you'll end up fighting Orion at some point...

Man, seeing so many hints about Ragnar versus Orion...

:confused: ...So many hints...

I'm guessing because a challenge on his own ground or theirs could be taken as grounds for war?

Not that those he challenged would have stopped themselves from responding...

In other words, 'Don't make me regret this'.

Heh, even OL is expecting him to get into trouble...

Let's not marinate the rookie in Avarice yet.

And once again, we're reminded that OL just hasn't taken the time to just enjoy flying around for a long while...

Best to take your own advice there, Illustres.

Well, there's a lot of ways this could go. Especially with Ragnar and a rookie lantern riding along. But I have no doubt that OL is hoping for the best, and planning for the worst. Let's hope it's not hate at first sight, though. Too much depends on OL not messing this up...

kerleth, Vorian, Cuchulin and 9 others like this.
  23. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Warhammer 40K Paul likes the Tau, which are basically the Federation, so I don’t see why the favor wouldn't carry over.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He did think that Orion would make a good candidate for a red ring.

He has the rage and it's directed at the correct target.

Nothing scarier than an idiot.

It'll either be a repeat of the first time he met with the Frees, or they may think that he's escaped Apokolips and is looking for shelter.

Which is kinda true.

25. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

The Orangest Night approaches.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He might have problems with their stance on genetic engineering, but yeah, out of all of the factions they ate basically the most reasonable and worth supporting since the other factions are full of warmongers, paranoid warmongers, totalitarian control freaks, creepy cyborgs etc.

True Ninja, Vorian, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  27. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

While all true, I could see Paul and, of all people, Garak getting along.

Since Garak is so often the Only Sane Man in the room...

WhiteNoise, rdfox, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not sure if I agree with this, b ut if it's true then he's still going to be the only one since Paul is Paul, so he won't be sane for long.

29. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

far too new

30. Mr Zoat

Yes. Nice but dim.
    He'd try, then realise that that prejudice is too deeply ingrained for the current generation to be rational about it.
    I don't like Q as a character so I probably wouldn't write one.

That's Abrams Trek, so it doesn't count.
    Thank you, corrected.