1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Really. Grayven is an ancap? With all that he's seen in the galaxy, including wild differences in both inherent power and inherent ability to be productive? How would he even embrace Conquest in ancapistan, except if he is actually unironically hoping for an interplanetary megacorp dystopia?

P.S.: I am not in any way discussing the pros or cons or anarchocapitalism irl. I am specifically only questioning why Grayven would favor it in the world he lives in. Don't ban me mods.

What is it? The wiki doesn't say.

How does that work given that we know that at least in -16 Darkseid is the good guy and Izaya is the baddie? Are there exactly two versions of each of them?

Also, the power of Darkseid seems to vary between comic and cartoon continuities, no?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I’m pretty sure he is specifically advocating for anarcho-capitalism for Equestria because he thinks it would work there due to the peculiarities of the inhabitants, and he doesn’t think that it would be the best system for other places.
    Also, presumably he could embrace Conquest by setting up the system in a place, and then moving on to another place. There are infinite places for him to conquer, after all.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You're a human, aren't you?

Ponies aren't humans. They have very different instincts, including being a lot more socially conservative and obedient to authority. Grayven thinks it would be good if ponies stopped looking to the princesses for instruction and got used to standing on their own four hooves.

4. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I wonder if this is another example of Paul being assumed to be a reincarnation of Lucifer Morningstar? That or he’s being mistaken for Graven in the other timeline, who is a self-made New God.

I think New Gods exist on a mutiversal level but I’m not sure if that is Fanon or Canon. It might just be Darkseid and Izaya.

So Paul and Graven being assumed to be the same person using two different avatars would make a degree of sense.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"that"

They could ve using druid-like magic to live.

The Accala may essentially be turning into the Earth equivalent of them.

Maybe their wars with Apokalips caused them to have a smaller population, so they put themselves into one city because they didn't need to expand.

Hey, it's very beautiful.

It could be because they either like the color, or because it could have some mystical properties.

Unless it somehow doesn't shine all that bright.

Ha!

Sadly he's not dealing with them all that much.

True, true.

Weird.

So either these versions have some level of the whole multiversal existence thing, or Lightray has heard about Earth and all of its various shenanigans, and how Paul is connected to a lot of them.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but they may be more interested in potentially guiding them, so ce they may not want Apokalips getting their hands on new and powerful subjects.

And Highfather may just ask them to shit down and they'll comply.

Even if they do she may have simply not met them.

Heck, he may only have the one, or really two, titles.

And that may honestly be a bigger example of dick-waing, since he doesn't need a bunch of fancy titles to show how great he is.

I think he'd be more polite about it.

True, we never really see him in action.

He can shoot every from his staff, and make things grow though.

I remember reading a story where an intergalactic empire stopped existi g not because of war or turmoil, but because it simply didn't become necessary to have a government or even a civilization after they discovered a way to transfer their society into immortal, self-sustaining, borderline indestructible bodies.

Now I'm getting the idea that the Bugs could have once been animals that the New Gods hunted, and after a while they were modified to become more intelligent and thus make a better challenge, but eventually developed sapience.

The individualistic design could point to a preference in taste, but it could also mean that the various ways in which the ships are designed is so that the New God piloting them has the most efficient way to use their powers.

Light.

Though I did once read somewhere that he was a god of joy

The whole "ray of sunshine" thing we assign to joyful people and all that explains his light powers.

No, no "buts".

Paul is crazy and he's right to call him that

Highfather does seem like the type that likes parks.

And I'm thinking that's how we'll meet Orion.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because shortly after that the white light fully revived all the Black Lanterns.

8. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Oh, but if only he knew about G5. Leave ponies to their own devices and they go back to embracing racism. To the point that they lose access to their magic. (And I'm sure a lack of magic would torpedo the "special talents would let ancapistan work, honest" thing.)

They're just lucky that someone got rid of the Wendigos. Or maybe the Wendigos being decisively beaten is what precipitated their downfall.

"Finally! We can go back to being racist without consequence!" Magic goes away. "Oh no!"

[​IMG]

Istaran, Ardy, Frank Iannetta and 6 others like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Ah, no. Lightray spends most of his time with the dour Orion. He isn't used to people responding with self-depreciation.
    G5 sharing a setting with G4 makes no sense. Aside from anything else, the tribes are too interbred for a pure population to exist for more than one generation. There's actually a fanfic on FiMfiction where they trade foals of the wrong tribe between settlements.

Istaran, Ardy, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, it didn't, it revived some of them.

It was stated categorically that the Dibnys didn't get resurrected.

It certainly didn't resurrect almost every single fallen green lantern ever- The Black Lanterns cleaned out the Crypts of the Green Lanterns. Someone would have noticed the GLC suddenly having hundreds of thousands, if not more, revived members.

So first, I'm not aware of a single Orange Lantern getting resurrected by the White Light Entity. So citation please.

Secondly, I'm not aware of Larfleeze being shown to keep an orange lantern construct when the member was resurrected. So I'm going to need a citation on that too.

No, the Bugs are New Genesis bioweapons- designed to breed until they consumed all of Apokalips' resources.

They escaped the breeding labs and colonized New Genesis instead.

The New Gods called them Apokalips bioweapons, but Metron eventually released the truth, either the lie offended his sensibilities or he figured the truth was bound to get out sooner or later, I don't know.

They are apparently failures though- While the Bugs are rapacious enough to steal from Supertown for needed resources, they are apparently not stupid enough to expand themselves into oblivion like a plague.

This may or may not be true on Earth-16 of course

kerleth, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The whole point of that was reviving all the black lanterns to sever Nekron's connection to the universe...

Also, you seem to forget that the GLC had limited numbers of rings.

12. Stsword

No, it really really wasn't.

The mass resurrection happened after Nekron was banished. So that's a no.

What happened before Nekron was banished was the White Light Entity resurrected William Hand, costing Nekron his herald, the one required for this entire plan as stated again and again and again during the event, and destroying the Black Lantern Central Power Battery. You might remember that Nekron couldn't enter the world of the living until the black lantern charge hit 100%.

Then after Nekron was banished, the white light power rings that William Hand vomited up caused the mass resurrection.

Also the fact that there Black Lanterns who survived Blackest Night really puts a crimp in the believability of your theory that resurrecting all the Black Lanterns was necessary for banishing Nekron.

Brightest Day, the sequel- Deathstorm "survived" in the Firestorm Matrix and planned to wipe out the universe. Nekron also imprinted Swamp Thing, making him a Black Lantern Corps member. So Brightest Day had two "surviving" black lanterns.

Also the Black Lanterns Mogo consumed and trapped in his core in Green Lantern Corps #44 where shown to still be there a year later in Green Lantern Corps #60 in 2011.

So the theory that "resurrecting all the black lanterns is what banished Nekron from the land of the living" has the little issue that all the black lanterns weren't resurrected.

Xmaster3000, Ardy, Vorian and 4 others like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    21:13 GMT

Highfather rises from the floating bench he was sitting on, watching a group of New God children playing with… Uh, some sort of gravity manipulating block toys. While I'm sure that their precise functionality is fascinating, they're not what I'm here for. Instead of scanning them to see what I can learn I just do a general scan for concealed people -none as far as I can tell- and then focus on my host, bowing at the waist.

"Highfather, thank you for agreeing to meet with me."

He comes into convenient talking range, crosier held in his right hand and resting against his right shoulder.

"Rise, Illustres, and be at peace." "I offer you sanctuary."

I straighten, pleased that Ragnar and Lacuray both copied my action. Izaya is smiling politely. Expectantly.

"That doesn't seem very likely, but I'll try while I'm here. These are my colleagues, Lantern Ragnar and Lantern Lacuray."

Highfather makes eye contact with each of them before returning his full attention to me.

"You mentioned that there are things that you need for your plan to work. I am eager to hear what you think there is that can remove the Anti-Life."

"Life, naturally. I've been exposed to Anti-Life fragments before and it didn't do much. That's a product of… My relationship with the orange light. A Green Lantern colleague of mine who has achieved a similar relationship with the green light experienced the same phenomena. It's my belief that by combining multiple emotional colours it should be possible to purge an area of Anti-Life… I mean, maybe not the complete Equation, but a widespread infection like the Earth has."

He raises his eyebrows, nodding slowly as he thinks it over.

"Green Lanterns have proven unusually resilient in the past, though it was a long time ago that the Green Lantern Corps last fought against Apokolips. I know of them and your Corps and of the yellow ring of fear used by Sinestro. What more do you need?"

"There are seven colours that I need. In addition to those three my friend Alan Scott has a blue ring and the Zamarons have started using violet rings. That leaves two: red and indigo. There's a sophont beaver in Sector One Zero One Four with an indigo ring, and probably more where he came from. That leaves red. Two parts to that problem: I need to find the materials that can be used to make one and I need to find someone who can use it."

"What emotion is red tied to?"

"Anger and hate. I've sort of gotten the impression that they're not inherently different things, and…" His eyes narrow slightly and his face takes on a… Regretful.. expression? "And we just experience them differently depending on our mindset. Regardless, I need someone well-acquainted with both but who can still focus through them."

"You're here for Orion!" Lightray sounds surprised. "I know he can be a bit moody, but I'd hardly call him some sort of 'rage mystic'."

"No, but I imagine that he has experience fighting off the Anti-Life due to his fights with the forces of Apokolips. Really, we're just going to need him to fire the ring for a minute or so."

Highfather nods resignedly. "And what becomes of him then?"

"Um, I don't mind? Assuming that the ring isn't owned by someone else, he's welcome to keep it."

"You don't understand. Orion has struggled to control his anger for his entire life. Asking him to manifest it outside of himself as Lanterns do may well undo all of the progress he has made."

"I know. But I don't have anyone better."

Bleez is a popular music star and political reformer. Ratchet is an Orange Lantern. I have no idea where to even begin looking for Dex-Starr, and… Honestly, between the Anti-Life and the Sheeda, he's probably dead. I don't know where Skallox is and I've got only the vaguest idea where Zilius Zox might be.

I need someone angry. Angry now, but in control.

"Because if I did, I'd be there instead."

"How confident are you that this will work?"

"Pfffooooow."

I look up at the sky as I try to work out how to quantify something like that. I mean… Based on what the Anti-Life fragment appears to do…

"Let's say… Eighty percent chance to get rid of it entirely. Ten to just give everyone temporary immunity while the League and its allies destroy the transmitter without having to worry about mind controlled soldiers attacking them. Fifteen to deal with the after-effects while we deal with it some other way, so that we can actually rebuild afterwards. Chance of it flat out doing nothing… Two percent? Maybe? I mean, something should happen, but I can't use New God technology myself for obvious reasons. And… Of course… If it does work, then we can use the same technique on other worlds as well."

"You expect it to expunge the Anti-Life, but your people to be mentally scarred."

"Most likely. But as I said, I can't evidence any of this." I shrug. "Honestly, we might be the ones who cause the trauma. But this is still the best plan I've been able to come up with. Have you got a better one?"

Lightray gives me stink eye. "Have a care, mortal."

"No, serious question. Highfather, you were friends with Prince Drax. Do you know a way to deactivate his robot?"

"It would be a poor weapon if it were easy to deactivate." Highfather shakes his head solemnly. "I have been trying to communicate with Drax since that… Those events. The unity of thought which existed between the Forever People was broken by their exposure to Anti-Life, and without that reaching him is… Difficult, to say the least."

Two ways around that: help them heal or train…

I look over to the children playing with the blocks, and out of the corner of my eye see Highfather bow his head slightly.

Train replacements, because there're some things that can't be fixed.

"Naturally, I have no problem with using our power rings to help them recover, but… I don't think that any one colour would be much use on its own."

He nods. "Thank you. And what else would you do with that power?"

"Not a lot. It would be split between seven different people, who would have to work with each other to make it work. And I strongly suspect that the Yellow Lantern will have loyalties that conflict with mine. I suppose I'd quite like to un-Anti-Life other places, but this is a bit… That's premature."

Lightray nods. "Willing to wage war on Apokolips, human? I respect that. My oration at your funeral will make the crowd weep for your loss."

"Everyone is already at war with Apokolips. Darkseid gets the full Anti-Life Equation, that's the end of intelligent life in this universe. More than that, his agent has attacked my planet. I'm not going to pretend that I have an alternative. And while I appreciate your offer, I've been dead twice. It's not that big a deal. And I don't think I'm a good enough public speaker to return the favour, but I can try if you want."

"Twice? Once could be regarded as misfortune, but twice suggests carelessness."

"It was carelessness, so, that fits."

He throws up his hands and shakes his head as Highfather nods.

"I will speak with Orion. I think that it is best for all of us if he helps you."

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  14. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

So is Rocket around?

15. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

"This dead asshole is dead because he made poor decisions. We should all make better ones. The end."

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is Lightray trying to humble Paul the way a normal god would an arrogant mortal? Because if he is, I'm glad Paul doesn't care enough or is just skilled and smart enough to get him to give up.

17. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I think I remember OL being a bit confused by Infinity Man when it was first mentioned because he thought that was the name taken by Prince Drax and then he concluded he must have been mistaken (this would have been all the way back when Canis Minor showed up with Dreamer). Did he get a better answer to this or just Mr Zoat forgetting since it was so long ago?

So is Infinity Man actually Prince Drax then? A robot of his?

Edit: A little surprise Paul made no mention of the Earth being the Fifth World or the potential result of the 7 emotional colors combining but I suppose he thought it was unnecessary.

Ardy, moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Or you could go for Razor.

The one Red Lantern to actually master the Red Light of Rage.

Fellow and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Stsword

I'm honestly wondering what's going on there.

Lightray is the god of joy.

Never mind he doesn't have empathic powers but light powers, because New God domains are generally useless drivel.

The suggestion seems to be both.

Drax built a robot and then transferred his mind into it.

In the comics, Drax was badly injured when his little brother stole his chance to claim the omega effect for his own.

So I'm guessing here that Zoat envisioned him saving himself via transhumanism. Transdeitism?

20. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Doubt it Lightray just seems to not think highly of Paul.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It might be a metaphor. Because he can literally lighten up your day. The spreading of joy will have to be done by his actions and words.

Darko, Ardy, moralrelativity and 3 others like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Which makes him one of the smartest people we have met so far.

Old Knife likes this.
  23. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

If he is it's not going to work, Paul isn't arrogant. He is simply very confident and enlightened.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh. Baby Boxes? :p I kid, I kid. Still, it's an interestingly casual look at the level of New Genesis' technology. Even the simplest child's toys have mechanisms that Earth is only just beginning to develop.

He can't help but lean into the image of benevolent shepherd, can't He? I suppose it comes being being an avatar of Benevolent Leadership.

Before a presence like His, you can't help but be polite.

Taking their measure in a mere glance, eh? Easy to figure them out, though.

Admittedly, it's still up in the air if it's possible, but anything's worth a try. Desperate times, desperate measures and all that.

Admittedly, once Apokalips adapted, they more or less kicked the Greenies' arses to a standstill.

Of course, tracking down an Indigo Tribesman is still going to be a challenge.

Ah, Highfather can already guess what OL is asking, can't He? Or perhaps He knew the whole time, what with that insight.

I mean, get him pissed off enough and he can manage that. Heck, just have his motherbox lay off the calming influence a few minutes, and you'll have all you need.

Though, do you really want a Red Ring out in the wild? Even if it doesn't replace the wearer's heart with a ball of Rage, anyone driven by it could be trouble later.

Especially since any of the known Red Lanterns of any continuity haven't become Red Lanterns yet. Or are likely to.

...Dang, Dex-starr might be dead (assuming her master isn't already...) Dangit, every Lantern Corps needs its cute animal member...

Good question. It's all supposition on OL's part. For all anyone knows, this will simply hasten the War of Light's beginning, and nothing more.

Sheesh, you haven't even done the math yet? Taking a lot on faith, aren't you?

Please, let's not give New Genesis any funky ideas. Remember the stupid, stupid Godhead arc from the New 52?

Still, humans are robust. Emotionally speaking, anyway. That might help them to recover a little sanity. Even if the essence of Status Quo has no power here.

Oh, right. There's at least one Infinity Man knockoff running around on Earth...

That's gonna take some superheroic therapy. Too bad there's no-one out there with the power of Mental Health Care.

Sadly, I don't think they're going to be much use anytime soon. Any other options, Highfather?

No doubt they can be the first test of the combined effect? Or were you just planning to gather seven rings and just... Shine them on Earth, OL? o_O

...Oh, you have no idea about divided loyalties, OL...

It's like he's dying on purpose, you know.

Well, that's progress.

So, one more element acquired for this mad, desperate plan. But there's still the matter of a Ring to channel the War Hound's Rage. And tracking down the Indigo Tribe. And you have to wait for Lysis to toss you a Yellow Ring... And let's not forget getting the Zamarons on your side. They still don't like you much, after all. That'll be a tough one. :oops:

25. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Would red enlightenment help Orion?

kerleth, Cuchulin, Minars90 and 2 others like this.
  26. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Oh fuck yes.

27. monochromaticPrism

monochromaticPrism Getting out there.

That was my thought as well. Learning to utilize a ring usually goes hand in hand with developing control over that emotion, although given the usual initial effects of a red ring it’s probably going to be a rocky start.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Minars90 and 5 others like this.
  28. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

You could look though, right? Couldn’t the SI fairly easily figure out where their species come from and then broadcast messages in those areas asking for them and offering rewards for information or something? Obviously it might not work, but it might.
    All of these numbers add up to 107%. I think maybe the fifteen is a sub-percentage so should be ignored, but in that case these numbers only add up to 92%. Are there some other possibilities the SI can see that he isn’t bothering to mention? Or is he just being very lazy with his numbers?

29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thank you!

Stsword likes this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I noticed that the last Joseph Harrolds parts in Episode 134 happens on Jan. 21. Does that mean the beginning part of Episode 135 happens before that, or is this a typo?