1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Define 'help'. He would no longer experience overwhelming fits of rage. But that might be because he choses to always act in accordance with this rage instead of fighting it.
    Some of those possibilities don't exclude the others, and he didn't mention low probability but theoretically possible outcomes.
    Yes, that's correct.

2. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Wasn’t there someone who Paul encountered before that was enlightened to rage/hate already? Or was that Grayven?

mastermenthe and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Renegade was the one who met Geoffrey Talbot.

4. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

The math is off. 107%.
    Apokolips.

5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

As mentioned, New Gods - especially powerful ones - tend to be...Transformers called them 'multiversal singularities' when it played with the concept for the Thirteen Primes. On some level, each incarnation of Highfather, Primus, Darkseid, or Unicron in each individual universe is the same being in them all.

And thus, if Lightray's prior exposure to Paul was the Renegade...well he probably got razzed to high heaven, and is merely returning the favor.

And even with that aside...well, remember that the Renegade chose to run with the Grayven thing because the Forever People mistook him for Grayven, what with his VenomBuster-ed 'big gray rock man' physique, which Paul doesn't have...and the 'the Orange Light feels somewhat Apokalyptian to New Gods' thing, which he does in an amount that is the Pacific Ocean compared to Renegade's bathtub.

Explained upthread - some of the probabilities overlap.

6. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Unless I misunderstood what Mr. Zoat said, this is not true here.

boo600, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  8. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Twice could be carelessness? It's definitely my favourite play, but I prefer the 2002 adaption.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And neither of them have experienced the trauma that brought about their rage

Or his owner is.

Which could give him the rage he needs.

Yep.

At least it won't keep scarring them.

Prince Charon likes this.
  10. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

A thought; what about the white light entity? Isn't it slumbering on Earth? Isn't the planet being infected waking it up? Can it be talked to about helping in a way that doesn't make it vulnerable, or forced into the open?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if she was she may not be of much help since Zhe lacks the experience her older self had in canon.

He may just be stating the obvious that trying to attack Apokalips is suicide.

I mentioned in a previous post hos his domain may be a reflection of that whole 'ray of sunshine' description that's given to joyful people.

Yep.

And also arrogant.

Ngamer11 and Ardy like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They do cooperate with him, like with Ghia'ta being a member of the Team, so it's not our if the question.

Plus he'd be using the power of love to get rid of Anti-Life, which they may find satisfying.

13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Love the way Paul just No-sells Lightrays holier than though bullshit

boo600 and Prince Charon like this.
  14. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

When Paul talked to Dr Mist, there conclusion was that the enemy is not aware of the White Light Entity as Dr Mist should be able to feel it if something is going wrong there.

Kailen, Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  15. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Or conversely his control over his already Divine rage translates to control over his ring. Might even end up recruiting Atrocitus and giving him a less destructive path.

Sounds like a win/win to me.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I'm guessing a large number of people didn't watch the last season of Young Justice to know how putting a Red Ring anywhere near Orion ends.

Also that Paul's wrong about there not being any Red Rings around.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. HeroineRule34Guy

HeroineRule34Guy Know what you're doing yet?

18. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Knowing nothing about New Gods beyond what has shown up in this quest, I can only hope that Orion's Mother Box, already helping him with his rage, will help him with his Red Ring. As Zoat said, Rage Enlightenment doesn't necessarily mean not going on a rampage, just that he wouldn't be in conflict with his own rage anymore.

With Highfather having said that he thought one possibility of Orion being a Red Lantern being basically destroying all his progress on being in control of himself, and then later he says that he believes its best if Orion participates, I assume he quickly thought through the possibilities.

19. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

20th January 2013
    21:18 GMT

"Guy!" I fly towards him as he finishes up repositioning Ungara's orbital mirror array. "Guy, I need your help with something!"

"Yeah?" He glances my way, then generates a construct model of the ecological effect of the mirrors to check his work. "With what?"

"We need to teach a magical pony princess how to love again."

He both winces and smirks at the same time. "Hold on a sec. Lantern Gardner to Malo. I'm abowd done up here. You readin' okay?"

I don't hear the response, but from the way Guy's nodding I suspect that he's getting one. Could intercept it, but… No point.

"Okay… Great. Okay. Y'need me? Gimme a call. Otherwise I'll see yeh around."

He lowers his ring and then turns to face me, smirk reappearing as he goes off the clock.

"Grayven, I'm glad that whole pony… Princess thing worked out-."

"Magical pony princess."

"That… The magical pony princess thing worked out for yeh, but we don’t all… S-swing that way!"

He makes a sort of hiss-laugh, chuckling to himself.

I shrug. "She could do better."

He jazz hands. "Oooooooooh!"

"In fact she has, which is sort of the issue."

He nods. "Time-expired, huh?"

"Oddly, no. He's indefinitely prolonged as well. Rather, he beat a couple of villains by absorbing all of their evil in them into himself, and flipped out as a result."

"Uh. Okay, yeah, that's-. Heh. That's a bit more… I mean, I ain't sure fixin' superpony's love life is really my job or nothin'-."

"But you've been trying to come up with a halfway plausible reason to visit Wilson for months."

"Fuck off."

"Everyone wants ponies. Ask the internet. You would not believe how many 'artistic impressions' there are of-"

"No no no."

"-her and I-."

A construct hand clamps around my mouth.

"What'd'yah need?"

"Well, we need something that can purge a giant ball of elemental evil."

"You tellin' me that magic ponies don't got somethin' like that?"

"They did, then they stuck it on a magical crystal tree to act as a magical weed killer, so now they're kind of stuck."

"Can't they just take it off'f the tree?"

"You'd think, but apparently not. I think it's a religious.. thing..? Point is, I think we can go Captain Planet on it by combining the power of our rings."

"Captain Planet."

I blink. "Don't tell me you didn't watch Captain Planet."

"I'm pretty sure the Guardians woulda said somethin' if there was a 'Captain Power Ring'."

"I'm not saying that there's a literal Captain Power Ring, though there is, I'm saying that we can use Captain Power Ring's power to do things we couldn't do on our own."

"That sounds like bullcrap."

"Horse apples."

"… What?"

"No, they actually say things like that. 'A giant pile of bucking horse apples', for example, would-."

"Really? That's…" He grins despite himself. "That's like the cutsyest, girliest thing ever."

"Whatever you need to tell yourself."

"A'ight, a'ight, so if we're doin' this 'Captain Planet' thing, what'd'we need?"

"Seven different colours of power ring. Now, I've got yellow, obviously, and I can get hold of Dox to get another Orange Lantern assigned. I can probably get Talbot to volunteer as the Red. You're green and Ghia'ta is violet, so that leaves blue and indigo. And someone to use them."

"You know anyone who can make power rings?"

"Yes, but… Ah… One of them's the student of the guy who made Sinestro's ring, and they needed to murder an entire… Planet… To do that."

His grin fades. "What?"

"I… Just realised that I never asked Weaponer Lysis how she made her red ring. Huh."

"That's the problem with workin' with evil people, Gray. Sometimes, they do evil stuff."

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right." I mean, it's not like it was a planet that I was using, but I should probably check that with her at some point just to make sure that it doesn't bite us in the haunches later. "But I can't really do anything about that now."

"That's not actually true. She's sittin' right next t', like, half the Orange Lantern Corps."

"I mean, I can't stop her doing something she's already done. I can't punish her for things she did before she made a contract with me, that would be unreasonable."

"She kills a planet, an' that's fine, but you don't wanna get in trouble with HR?"

"It's not fine, if it happened, it's just outside of my jurisdiction. Look, do you think you could get hold of Ganthet for me?"

"I-. I mean, yeah, but that whole 'Lysis killed a planet' thing kinda killed the mood."

"Oh, I don't know that she did that. She might just have snuck onto Ysmault or something. Or have been paying attention when someone else killed a planet; it's not like qwardians are shy about killing people. Look, Wilson really doesn't need Princess Celestia losing herself to ennui-" Said it right that time. "-and you'll learn some very interesting things about power rings. I think it's worth doing anyway."

He's clearly not happy about it.

"Look, do you want to be there when I talk to her about it? Because-."

"Yeah. Just a little worried 'bowd what happens if I wanna take 'er in."

"Let's… Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

"Yeah. What yeh wanna talk to Ganthet 'bowd?"

"His blue ring prototype. Obviously, we need to borrow it."

"Ganthet's got a…" He frowns curiously. "How'd you know that?"

"Little birdy told me. I do meet with the Controllers on a semi-regular basis, and quite a lot of them used to be Guardians. Tell him we can give it a field test."

"Al… Right. I c'n do that. What about indigo?"

"For that, we're going to need Lantern Jordan, and the ring he got from Abin Sur."

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Neruz, Turalon94, explbean and 121 others like this.
  20. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Oh, they're both doing this at the same time? I can't remember the last time Paragon and Renegade plots overlapped like that.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'bit'.

Not surprised there's stuff like that online in-universe, though I am a little surprised that Guy's surprised. Does he not know about all the Rule 34 stuff about him and the Justice League online?

First, is the Renegade lying about hearing about Ganthet's blue ring prototype from the Controllers? Second, how is he going to explain what he knows about the Indigo Tribe? Also, I find it a bit funny that it seems like the Renegade is able to get a power ring for each color easier than Paul.

22. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I sense a disturbance in the fic

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So Paragon does it to save the world, Renegade for love. That...tracks, yeah.

24. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

LePaul planning on using the White Light to free Earth from the Anti-Life

Vs

Grayven using the White Light to purge elemental evil to help with someone's love life.

Edit: Perhaps there will be more overlap if they both access the White Light at the same time?

25. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Today I learned that I have been pronouncing that wrong for over 20 years and no one ever called me in it. I also learned that Google has a button to pronounce words for you, that I'll be abusing regularly from now on.

kerleth, Istaran, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, the Renegade going to the only Green lantern he's moderately close to. Sadly, they aren't quite as good buddies as the Paragon is. But what brings him here, I wonder?

...And that sounds like an expression straight of the Mcgiffen/DeMatteis/Macguire era JLA Book or any of its sort-of revivals... :D

Yeah, no need to tick him off before you get what you want from him, eh?

Honestly, you make it sound so... Childish.

I can only imagine what the tabloids are saying about him after that came out... :oops:

Honestly, Luna doesn't have that many options, really...

...Oh, you mean Sunbutt Celestia.

Ah, King Sombra. So, the main timeline version also had a thing with Celestia, then. Or are they really going to pull some alternate-reality stuff and rescue the 'good' version from Reflections? :confused:

...Oh, realllly? :sneaky: Honestly, Guy, there's no shame in having an interest in that sort of thing.

Oh, god, yes. The OCs... So many OCs... And 'Ponified' characters... And OC versions of said Ponified characters...

...What, you haven't looked that sort of thing up, Guy?

That's more like it. Sooner you agree to whatever it is he wants, the sooner he'll go away. :p

Well... Slight issue with that.

It's not like a Power Ring collection, you know...

But of course! Heck, his team even uses Power Rings, of a sort...

Not if it would result in all hell breaking loose, which it does. Prophecies and all that.

But not inaccurate.

I see Equestria's language has been rubbing off on the Renegade.

Blame the cosmic equivalent of Broadcast Standards and Practices.

That's it, Guy. Embrace the madness... I wonder how he looks as a Pony...

...Probably best to Boom Tube them to Wilson. I don't know what Starswirl's Mirror would to to a part-Zamaron or whoever Dox sends.

Ah, and light dawns over marblehead. You never did ask...

...To be fair, the Renegade has done some nasty things, but nothing on that scale.

...He doesn't even realise he used the word 'Haunches', does he?

...Dude, have you ever tried messing with a Corps' HR? Scary stuff, man!

Not even if you remind yourself it's for a Magical Pony Princess? :p

Huh. Seems like you're not the only one who's been mispronouncing it... o_O I've always though it was en-wee...

Just don't seem too official about it, or she might get defensive.

I'm sure there are a few things, but...

...Hmm. I wonder if that'll give him the kick in the arse he probably needs to work on his own Blue Lantern Corps

'A Little Birdy'? :rolleyes: Ow. Truly, he has become a master of the Dad Joke. Even ones other people don't notice.

Huh. An interesting bit of Narrative Synchronicity there. Though the Renegade does have a slight headstart in the collection process, between his alternate universe Yellow Ring and his access to Red Rings. On the other hand, he has a lot more work to do towards the 'cool' end of the Spectrum, between Blue and Indigo. It'll be curious to see how it all plays out...

"In fact she has, which is sort of the issue."
    "They did, then they stuck it on a magical crystal tree...

27. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Technically, he didn't actually say where he heard it from.

28. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

"It's a WB property. We're not allowed to reference any of those outside of DC comics."

"R-really?"

"The lawyers insisted. Ask the Ventures about "Action Jonny" sometime."

"What if I had said Care Bare st-"

"Shhh! Don't wanna piss off The Mouse."

29. KaiKolo

KaiKolo Know what you're doing yet?

Thinking about it, I don't think we've read much about people having seen Grayven-Paul after he was purged from his fragment of the Anti-Life equation.

He's seems much more agreeable, amicable, and is more willing to think about how his actions affect others.

If anything, people might rightfully assume that Luna was a good influence on him.

Have Luna and Celestia met Scott Free and Big Barda yet? It would be nice for the future in-laws to get to know each other.

30. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Seriously. do not mess with the Mouse. Micky has the Infinity Gauntlet, the Cosmic Cube, can use the Force AND he is a Sorcerer Complete with pointy hat.