1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Imagine what a fucking task this would be to upload to FFnet, or AO3, a chapter an episode.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:V Ha! Honestly, man needs to relax a little. But he is right, the Renegade is working with a very shaky logical premise with this plan. There's still no guarantee that this will pay off even if he does get the needed rings together...

I don't see little Hal being such a crybaby...

o_O ...Huh. '...' Indeed.

Why not just project a construct of them? It's not like he has a fear of horses...

And Guy isn't an Honour Guard here, just a Sector Lantern (If I remember correctly.) There are naturally things he's not cleared to access that Hal might be.

It's something entirely in character for the Guardians, yes.

Yeah, you're going to have to less vague about timing, Renegade.

...Did you bother to try to learn about him at all? :oops:

Though, to be fair, when they met, he was already dying. Not exactly a good time to share life stories.

Best to stop trying to be all mysterious and spookily godlike, Renegade. He ain't buying it.

...You met him for like five minutes. Even if you read his case files, how much do you really know about him?

Honestly, Renegade, you will have to come clean about your real origins sooner or later to someone...

You're going to have to tell him about Indigo Rings, at least. Even if it has to be 'off the record'...

Blame their language being loaded with horsey wordswaps...

He's just telling you what he thinks you need to know, Hal. And he knows that anything he tells you will probably end up in the Guardian's ears somehow.

Look, the sooner you stop interrupting, the sooner this whole discussion can be over. :rolleyes:

It's context. It helps you understand the locals' logical processes.

No, no, Filly is a child or teenager. Luna is a mature adult lady, thank you.

Ah, not counting the thousand years sealed away? Logical enough. I doubt she wants to feel that mature.

And being in her good books is a plus if your intentions towards Luna are serious.

I'm not sure Hal really understands what that depth of experience means, but at least he's not dismissing it.

At least she merely limits herself to a prank now and again. Imagine if she was something like Molestia or Trollestia.

And now we descend into the really crazy aspects of Wilson life...

Gifts courtesy of Pinkie Pie, of course! :D And honestly, Hal, you could probably use the break.

An interesting name for Indigo-1. ;) ...I assume that's who this is.

I mean, it's either a name she earned through deeds, or she gave it to herself to sound more bad-ass. Either option tells you something about her.

Ah, he deleted the logs. Dangit.

An interesting way to try to get around the Ring VI's restrictions, but I doubt the Guardians would have left a loophole like that...

...Doesn't look like my jam either. :confused:

At least it can't be that far away. Nok's traditionally located in the same sector as Earth...

So, tracking where he went by where he was not, eh? Fortunately, Sector 2814 is not so large in this universe as it is in the main continuity. I mean, there's still thousands of possible planets to check, but if they can narrow down the possibilities... With a Boom Tube, they could easily flit about poking their head out and scanning for Compassion.

"Lantern Sur was with the Corps for a long time.
    A thousand years without anyone she can really consider an equal.

3. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

AO3 is a lot better than FFn for stuff like that. Especially since the latter refuses to update the UI it's been using for 20 years or so.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I've had to redo the Story Only thread twice, so I know only too well.
    Thank you, corrected.

5. draconomial

draconomial Getting out there.

this is how people are getting around the restrictions on chatGPT. You would think AIs built by advanced civilizations would be better, so as not to allow the same flaws

6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Maybe comprehensively avoiding such workarounds would require the AI to either be sapient (which is unacceptable because the Guardians don’t want to use slaves/get caught using slaves), or be far less helpful in general (which is unacceptable because they want the ring AI to actually do a good job).
    Those are just my guesses though, I’m far from an expert in the subject.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sounds like a correct reaction to a renegade suggestion or request.

I hope his sector lacks any equine sapient, since the last thing the universe needs is another racist cop.

Not necessarily.

They have a dangerous profession, so they might be killed.

And there's also Captain Comet.

Granted I'm not sure if he can extend his life to that point.

Ah, renegade.

Annoying people into compliance.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may have, but his files probably only contained records of his service rather than personal life.

And given that he seemingly didn't have all that much of a relationship with his son it's possible that he never brought up his family all that often in conversation, so even Lanterns that were his friends may not have been fully aware.

I think he told Artemis after he and Actually Grayven did their little fusion dance.

9. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Well I guess they are, because the attempt to get around the ring's restrictions didn't work.

PDV likes this.
  10. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It sounds more like they've got the exact same issues the old chatbots had, where the internet trained the bot to say sketchy shit and then the internet goes and gets his buddy and goes 'see, see, look, the AI's really are out to get us!' after he's trained it to parrot his own sketchy shit.

I'd hope bobblehead malware or not the Guardians made their Ring AI's either dumb enough they don't try to talk to you like that without you desiring it, or smart enough to not be susceptible to the easiest loophole like that.

mastermenthe and Vorian like this.
  11. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hey Mr Zoat, quick question about an older episode.
    If the fact that Jade and Obsidian where JSI Alan's kids is a secret (or at the very least not common knowledge) like it's implied here:
    then why does he have a picture of them with Molly (his new wife):
    Did he adopt them or something (and people were saying he cuck'd Molly and brought his kid home)?

Or is it something like if Superman had a picture of Kid Flash and Robin in his office on the watchtower from that one time they came to visit him in Metropolis and Lois Lane just so happened to be there to report on them.
    In other words just a photo with some junior heros... and also his wife... that he just happened to have in his office... in a prominent location...

Or is it something of a common knowledge among the JSI he works with (and thus would be in his office) and not the public, and Interceptor just doesn't work around him enough to know about it

12. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I'm pretty sure the issue was the embarrassing and edgy things the bots said. And the many articles written about them.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    09:40 GMT

Jade stares at the angular sculpture, eyes running from one material to the next.

"This is really four thousand years old?"

The tour guide is a member of the same species as Threllian, and her original placement here occurred at some point before their homeworld was conquered by the Reach.

"We cannot tell the exact date. So far as we can tell, this and other pieces like it were passed from one world which the Reach were about to conquer to the next. Many were either intercepted or were caught on the ground. This museum is what we have that made it this far."

It's not a small museum.

"The collection predates Maltusian involvement in the war with the Reach. I have even less idea about who may have started it than I do about the species that created this. It may be inaccurate to refer to it as being a single collection, or that it was created for a goal as high-minded as cultural preservation."

A slight change in the muscle tension around her eye. A smile.

"But I like to think that it was." Her eye moves to my ring for a moment. "Or perhaps that the selfish desire for unique treasures serves a greater purpose without the people who do it being aware of it."

"Is the species who made this on the list for resurrection?"

"Sadly, no. This piece predates the war between the Green Lantern Corps and the Reach. We don't have enough data to recreate their biosphere. This… And a couple of lesser pieces, are all that's left. And we can't be completely sure that they have the same ultimate origin."

"Do we know what it represents? What it meant to them?"

"No."

Jade looks extremely sombre.

"What they looked like?"

"If we are correct in our deduction about other pieces sharing an origin, we know something about the way that they perceived the universe. We believe that they had compound eyes, or a similar arrangement. If you look here-"

She points to a picture to the right of the display.

"-you can see what we think they would have seen when they looked at it."

Jade and I shuffle a little closer to it, peering at it while trying to map what it's showing with the sculpture.

Huh.

"They might have had some form of sonic sense as well; the structures on the inside of the sculpture-."

BOOM!

My power armour appears around me and my construct armour appears over me as I take the tank position between the sculpture and the boom tube aperture. Jade activates her exo-mantle and vanishes from normal sight as she drops through the floor. This shouldn't be-.

Orion drifts out on his astro-harness. It's silver rather than the gold colour I was expecting, and it allows him a more upright posture compared to what I remember from the comics. His helmet obscures his eyes, but I think he does a quick look around the room before focusing on me.

Ping.

I dismiss my construct armour and send my power armour back to subspace, which gets me a very small nod.

"Illustres." "Together we advance towards victory."

"Orion. We weren't expecting you quite yet. Highfather said that you had-."

"The task of expunging the Anti-Life from a world of Darkseid's victims takes precedence over everything else."

I try looking inside him, but am roundly rebuffed. Defiant Stand.

And he's not that early.

I smile. "Well then. Thank you for agreeing-" I send the 'safe' signal to Jade, and she emerges from the floor behind Orion. "-to participate. How much time are you able to give us?"

"For as long as I see a chance of victory. I will warn you, however, that many have claimed to have some way to destroy Darkseid before. Every one of them found that they were wrong when he killed them."

"I know next to nothing about the Omega Effect, so I wouldn't recommend using this to try and kill him. But as far as undoing the effect of Anti-Life exposure goes, I'm reasonably confident." I turn to the tour guide. "Thank you, we'll be fine from here."

"Of course, Illustres. Let me know if you need anything."

She heads back towards the more recent exhibits, leaving the room to-. Jade reappears, and after a moment's hesitation opens her helmet. Orion's eyes move over her and then his head turns away from her slightly in a sign of dismissal. Hm. I do seem to remember that was his attitude towards 'Bugs', and apparently Jade counts.

Ping.

And I don't. Curious.

"What is our first step in forging my ring?"

"We need someone willing to make the thing. My sponsor's suggestion was the maltusian who runs this project. Then, we will need a powerful focus of elemental rage for them to draw on during the forging process. Then you and they will need a deep and extremely personal conversation about your rages and hatred, and they will bind them into the ring as they forge it. Once that's done, you're free to return to New Genesis or remain here while I gather the other components needed for the plan to work."

"How long will I need to study this ring in order to fight with it effectively?"

"It varies, and the only New God we've taught is far less experienced than you. Honestly, for our purpose you shouldn't need to master it."

"I refuse to do anything less than excel." Master of War.

"Basic competency takes about a week, depending on your degree of self-mastery. Getting combat-worthy varies immensely, and we don’t have any prior examples of red power rings. I imagine that if you were able to devote yourself to it full time and didn't suffer any psychological problems, you would reach the point where you could fight effectively within a couple of months. If you're used to fighting in three dimensions, even less."

"I will see how it feels. My Astro-Force beams cause more harm to New Gods than any power ring attack I have seen, but I will not overlook the utility of a device that can create any object which I can imagine."

"Keeping hold of both the necessary emotion and the necessary reason is usually harder than imagining what you need. If you'll please follow me?"

He nods and dismounts, the astro-harness folding itself up into his chest plate in a way which reminds me of the Apokoliptian weapons the Bialyans used. Same technology base, I assume. With him now on foot, I lead him and Jade through the museum and towards the den of the maltusian who built it.

"Orion, before we do this, there's something I should probably talk to you about. I think that Highfather was slightly hesitant because he was concerned about exposing you to your own rage. You're my first choice candidate because I think that you can handle it, but there are other people I could go to if-."

"Speak of it no more. I am the master of my mind. Highfather's… Kindness, is not required." Heroic Resolution.

"Very well. But I should warn you… Even you won't find it easy."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  14. Chojin Patriarch

A few asides from Orion here. Nothing super-important, though, as far as I can tell.
    "Illustres." "Together we advance towards victory."

"Orion. We weren't expecting you quite yet. Highfather said that your had-."

"The task of expunging the Anti-Life from a world of Darkseid's victims takes precedence over everything else."

I try looking inside him, but am roundly rebuffed. Defiant Stand.

"It varies, and the only New God we've taught is far less experienced than you. Honestly, for our purpose you shouldn't need to master it."

"I refuse to do anything less than excel." Master of War.

"Speak of it no more. I am the master of my mind. Highfather's… Kindness, is not required." Heroic Resolution.

"Very well. But I should warn you… Even you won't find it easy."

batrax, Sojiko, kerleth and 35 others like this.
  15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is highfather's wife still alive in this? In YJ cannon she was and she was the reason Orion is slightly more well-adjusted.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  16. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘it meant’
    ’you had’

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And they were probably lucky since Darkseid can do a lot worse than just kill someone.

And he technically isn't a New God.

Though it could help.

Ardy, boo600, Relyt33 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chojin Patriarch

I see she's relaxing after what she's been through. And probably enjoying feeling the natural air of history that something that old would no doubt exude. There's just something about museums that reinforces that... Atmosphere.

So... The spoils of conquest, captured by covert agents?

Few such assemblages of relics are ever designed that way. Unless it was a collector with a particular mania for such things.

Hmm... I get the feeling she's heard some stories about Orange Lanterns... :D

Sad. But at least they'll be avenged.

Frustrating. Could it have been some great artwork, like David or the Venus de Milo? Or maybe just a crass display of lewdness... :p After all, as the guide said, they don't know.

So the sculpture isn't a likeness of their people, I see.

Seems unlikely? You never know what they can determine with just the record of tool-marks...

Thankfully it's a bit easier with just two regular eyes, I suppose.

Echo-location and compound eyes? Seems like an odd combination.

Ah. I doubt this is a direct attack by Grayven or Mannheim. Too hard to find them.

Ah, the Segway Cosmic. :D One of the more entertaining aspects of Kirbytech from the New Gods' stories.

So, then. He's willing to unleash his Rage for an ally's sake?

Yeah, I can't imagine they'd sit about with their thumbs up their exhausts while this was going on if they had an option to prevent it.

Heh.And don't think he didn't notice that poke, OL. Let's not antagonise the War Hound, hmm?

And at least OL can hope this requires less multiversal damage than Final Crisis dealt.

...I'm amazed she was still there, instead of immediately fleeing when the tube opened.

I'd hope that was his Mother Box chastising him for that...

OL, you're a good chunk of the way to being an ersatz New God yourself thanks to the oddball nature of your soul... That probably earns a bit of respect from New Genesis folks.

Of course, the source of a 'focus of elemental rage' is going to be a bit tricky.

Though being able to not become a frothing rage-monster should be considered 'proficient', for these purposes.

And hopefully this Red Ring should have more combat options than the classic 'berserker charge while spewing napalm blood'...

Especially for a Red Ring. Rage is not always known for its clarity of thought.

No, once Orion commits to something, he sticks to it, as seen during his membership in the JLA leading up to the Mageddon event.

...That just makes him even more determined to master it, you know...

Well, then. This should be an entertaining addition to the character dynamics. Especially if they do manage to forge a Red Ring, and get Orion training with it. His Mother Box is going to have her work cut out for her if it doesn't go well. On the other hand, it'll help them develop a training regimen for non-Orange Rings.

19. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

What would a Paul who mastered the Orange and Violet lights/reached emotional enlightenment to both look like? Besides an even better candidate to replace the endless of Desire if they ever died?

20. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I note nowhere has anyone mentioned what price this unaligned maltusian may charge in exchange for the what is essentially a service. Especially if the whole 'binding' aspect works like it does for Red Paul where his ring will turn to dust if someone else tries using it.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This reminds me of a scene in 3rd Rock From The Sun where Dick is looking at some pictures to see what is smut and what is art.

He apparently found porn magazines boring, but that painting of Eve with the apple and the snake was arousing for him.

They may be able to find him, but attacking is a different matter.

This museum may be on Maltus, so if they attacked then they risk being swarmed by a lot of Maltusians.

They're powerful, but even a single Maltusian could probably crush them.

22. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

Yes, this is what Paul should be doing. He shouldn't just borrow a yellow ring he should be making an opposition corps to any corps not aligned or friendly to him and his goals. If you get some yellow rings you can practice fighting against them with an ally that not going to kill you. Some with red. Also, it has been stated above that this red ring will probably be different than Atrocious' rings and maybe somewhat better. I'm also wondering if they could make an indigo ring without what happened to Saul Paul happening

mastermenthe, Ardy, boo600 and 4 others like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

A little from column A, a little from column B. It isn't a secret that they worked together and that he took part in their training. But 'there are people that Alan Scott trained' isn't something most people know. Similarly, most people don't know who Alan Scott's friends are, outside the other leaders of the JSI. Him having a picture of colleagues on his desk isn't that strange.

24. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

The Red Power Rings that we know, from the comics and from Raul, were made using Magic, no? So who knows how a technologically based Red Power Ring would behave? No replacing the user's heart, for example, maybe not even napalm/acid blood and instead it's an special attack from the ring itself.

I'm curious about this unaligned Maltusian, though. I know they all know and can manipulate The Glow, but does that translate to know how to forge a Ring? Or would he need for Orange Granny to teach him? And why can they, specifically, facilitate the construction of a Red Power Ring?

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The one Atrocitus gave Raul was magic, but he originally showed up in that universe with a red ring that may be technological in origin before Atrocitus took it.

Because they'd know more about the Red Spectrum and the Controller's use and connection to the Orange Light may prevent them from utilizing the other colors, so even if they understood how to make a red ring, they wouldn't be capable of doing it.

26. Mr Zoat

No. There is no Highmother, and if I hadn't already stopped watching Young Justice when she appeared that's the point where I'd have turned it off.
    Thank you, corrected.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Her title was actually Wisdombringer.

At least in the show. Not so sure about the comics.

28. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

We’ve actually already seen a technological red power ring, with that guy in the Renegade universe who I think got one from Weaponer Lysis.
    I can’t remember what it was like, though, except that I’m pretty sure that it didn’t replace the heart.

kerleth and Lord Ernest like this.
  29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I'm assuming this poor grammar is due to Jade using a translator.

30. Mr Zoat

No, that's fine grammar. It follows on from her previous two sentences.