1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if Canis Minor would be a candidate for Fear enlightenment. None of the other lights seem like a good match... Except for Orange, perhaps.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Wonder if Orion is successful in mastering Red Light if he'd see the appeal of gathering liked-minded fellows to form a Red Lantern Corps made up of those full of righteous rage about the state of the universe and are driven to fight against it.

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He's supposed to, without his motherbox disguising him. Barring the concrete skin and glowing red eyes of course.

[​IMG]

Likewise shown in the Kingdom Come version, where barring the beard he's just a pallet swap of Darkseid.

4. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

21st January 2013
    11:58 GMT

I don't ask Orion how he's doing as he stalks along the subterranean passageway, because I can actually take a hint. His helmet's back on, and… He looked like he was managing it.

Ping.

"Can you see it?"

"Not… Yet."

We're not far away from places that people who've gone berserk are known to have worked. If there's a reservoir of the stuff then it should be possible for me to see it… Soon? Unless I can't see it unless it's already in someone, or if it's mostly outside conventional reality…

It's not as if there are a lot of people I can share information with on the subject.

My ring blinks.

"Illustres here."

"Darkstar Nguyen. I've got some bad news."

"About time. What is it?"

"Have you scanned for teleporter traces?"

I don't respond with 'no'. Instead, I scan for teleporter tr-.

"Oh."

"The locals haven't made any deal for any off-world visitor to use teleporters to assist in mining. I haven't spoken to the ruler yet, but I don't think he'll know anything about it."

"You haven't checked out the site, have you?"

"No, I'm leaving that for you and Orion. Unlike both of you, I don't think I could survive exposure to elemental rage blood. I'm going to see if I can get a description of any alien traders who've been through here recently."

"Good work. Keep it up."

I close the channel, then keep trying-.

Ping.

"What is this?"

Orion is… Staring at a section of rock floor-. Scan.

"Someone teleported a mass of rock out-."

"I can see that." He draws back his right fist. "I would know what they-."

"I can-! I can do that without bringing the mine down on our heads."

Ping.

He lowers his fist.

"Then do so."

I smile as he steps aside and generate a crumbler borer, then press it into the rock. The rock isn't anything special, and the concentration of metal in this area isn't high enough for them to think it was worth digging out. If there's anything-.

The wind blows past us as I breach the vacuum created by the teleportation, and a moment later the borer is fully through. I dismiss the construct.

"Alright, that-."

Orion jumps down, falling about two hundred metres-. The rock shakes as he lands, super strong legs easily absorbing the impact. I step forward after him, falling at a somewhat more sedate rate as I try and get a better scan result.

"Can you see anything?"
    Primordial Presence.
    "Something great and powerful was here. I can feel the echoes of its passing. But it is gone."

I lower myself into the cave, and… Yes, this isn't something they could get away with in most places. The amount of energy this type of teleporter uses… Leaves the rock completely smooth, fused along its boundary zone. It would be detected, not just by teleport sensors but by the fact that every circuit in the area would melt. Then the heat and seismograph readings, in case that wasn't enough.

"Could a normal teleporter move this… Butcher's Blood?"

"He said it could have melded with any local substance."

I form a small pneumatic drill construct and use it to hammer a hole in the floor until I'm through the metamorphic portion.

"Interesting that they knew exactly where to look, when the locals didn't have a precise location."

Ping.

"Neither did we have a precise location. Who could know about this?"

"Anyone… Who was around when the Maltusians were experimenting with the glow. My first guess would be Krona, but… Really, any of them. Merchants have been visiting this world for a long time, the existence of the Green Lantern Corps is common knowledge and the Orange Lantern Corps hasn't exactly been quiet. Plenty of people could have put things together."

"Mother Box, analyse every trace that their teleporter has left. I want their-."

Red light surrounds us, manifesting in the corporeal world! Fragmentary shapes, local people, a bear, a bull, a demon, not people but the tiny imprints that their rage has left on the red light. Some pass-. Pass around me, leaping, jumping, running, swimming for Orion.

Ping!

He yanks off his helmet and spreads out his arms as they hit.

"I know your rage! But it is nothing that I have not felt a hundred times! If you want to make Orion your fool-"

Ping.

He breathes in slowly, lowering his arms.

"-then you will need to do much more than that. Lantern! Can you see any more?"

"No. But I couldn't see that until it appeared."

"Rage calls to rage. It is contagious. Live surrounded by anger and you will often become angry yourself. The tiny spark of rage felt by these mortals opened them to infection. But my rage is greater, and it is ruled by me."

We take a closer look, and it does look like it's all… Merged with him, unlike it was with the local miners.

"Conclude your business with the Dals and Dars and whoever else of this world. I wish to use the astro-harness's sensors to track those who stole the Butcher's Blood."

"I-"

BOOM!

"-will. Illustres to Darkstar Nguyen."

"Go ahead."

"When you have those pictures, send me a copy. I want to show them around the other cities. I have a suspicion that someone's been up to something."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  5. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Hehe, Paul dealing with Orion is likely comparable to how other people deal with him. Working around someone who is so sure of himself and simply acts without thinking a lot.
    Sounds like setting off the super volcano was a smokescreen to steal the Butcher's Blood, giving the Dal bad info to hide how big of an effect it would have to make him do it and then port it out while everyone distracted.

Sensors that would have detected teleporting would not have been able to tell difference between it and volcano going off.

6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So Paul can't see it until it is active, yet someone else managed to locate and steal it?

That means New God level technology at least, right?

Or, as Orion explained, someone already has Red Light technology and the Blood reacted to it.

So, taken together, someone is kick starting their own Corps, or someone powerful is trying to deny Paul the Red Light. Unfortunately he has enough enemies that that does not narrow it down much...

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

"Come on, sweetie, yo can hold it together... This is nothing, right?" I guess his own Rage is so large, that adding the taint of the Butcher's Blood is like a drop of dye in an olympic-sized swimming pool. Though it's probably more lively.

Which is worrying, if they're probing the mines. This place should have some trace of the Butcher's Blood.

To be fair, when working on a project this esoteric, a lot of the people you could work with are those you wouldn't want inside a parsec of it.

...Uh-oh. I take it Jade's been checking in with the local authorities for more detailed information?

Oh, that does not sound good.

Doubleplus ungood. Let me guess. Someone's already made off with the deposit?

...You do remember Jade is still a squishy regular human, right?

Good plan. It's likely someone has been collecting the Blood. But for what reason?

"Excuse me, mister Lantern? We've got something here."

Looks like he's on the trail of something mystical.

And a typical superheroic reaction to something in their way, huh?

"Stay calm, sweetie. Let him help." Mother Box as the voice of reason, as always.

Ah, it seems Orion's temper is fraying a little. So the Blood's taint is having a little effect on him.

Ah. Because of course they didn't think to counter-teleport anything in to offset the pressure differentials.

Aw, not even an attempt at a superhero landing? Deadpool says 'Fie upon you! Fie!'

And within the last six months, if Kellen from yesterday is the most recent case of raging miners.

So, not a small operation. Looks like they ripped out as much as they could around the deposit just to be on the safe side.

I doubt they left anything behind. Not if their sensors could find it in the first place.

"Perhaps they knew where it was beforehand. Someone is playing games with us...."

Mmm. Not hard to realise that if a Power Ring can come in one colour, and a second colour turns up, then there might be more. The only issue is colour symbolism...

Ah, he called down echoes of the Red Light, and the Butcher's Blood.

"Sweetie, calm down, this is not improving the situation!"

"Come on, Sweetie, don't be like that. You are not a fool."

...At least he's got a handle on it. I suppose knowing what people think of him just frustrates him more, though...

...And OL is not really capable of feeling Rage that isn't coloured by his Avarice. The joy of Enlightenment.

Let's not be too hasty. There may be other deposits here. Or they may find something useful about these unknown collectors.

Boy, rude. Fellow needs to learn to work with others...

The problem is whether said collectors even bothered to interact with the locals instead of quietly slipping into orbit, teleporting the mass and pissing off.

So. they've found a lead. A meager lead, but a lead nonetheless. Let's hope Orion has a little luck with the local energy traces. Because this is not looking like they're going to have much fortune. It will be interesting to see if there's a common thread to be found, if they visit other worlds. But until then... It all comes down to grunt work gathering information.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Atrocitus is literally in the middle of building his Lantern Corp this very moment.

Meaning it was likely him.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Since when Paul?

10. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Since always. And in a similar vein, it's always been a matter of how much he cares about said hints.

11. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Ohhh dear a little bit of rage coming through?

Replying to Vaermina:

When was it mentioned that Atrocitus is currently building his corps? Have I forgotten something?

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

In Green Lantern the Animated Series. Which is functionally the same universe as Young Justice.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat started writing this story before the events of the Green Lantern: TAS was made adjacent to the show's canon, so unless Mr Zoat says something, we can't assume that.

14. DAT_NOOB

Replying to Vaermina: Yeah but he hasn't recruited Razor yet and I'm not sure how far along into the Green Lantern animated series Canon the current story is. I think we're still before that story began and I don't remember for how long the red lanterns had been operating by canon start.

I think he mentioned something about Razor?

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it may have been Weaponer Lysis.

Heck, this could be how she made the red ring in the Renegade timeline.

She and Harrold seem to be making a move.

Those two shoes are adjacent to each other, but they're not a 100% match, do things like the timeline for certain events will be different.

kerleth, DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  16. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

"Live surrounded by anger and you will often become angry yourself," this reminds me of what Malvolio's teacher, Priest, said about Green light side effects.

kerleth, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I can't help but imagine Orion's Mother Box being exasperated with having to deal with his rage, so they've become somewhat crass.

"Hey, orange idiot! There's some weird shit here!"

"Snap out of it you dumb-dumb!"

18. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

They didn't know the entire location; some (most?) was left for Orion to swallow. If they knew that it was locally melded to the rock, they could have just seen traces of each place a local got infected and triangulated the center. Advanced technology, but not, necessarily, that advanced.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    kerleth, Vorian and Prince Charon like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

I don't understand. Where are the corrections? It's been so long...

20. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘ astro-harness’ ‘ ?
    Sorry, that was the best I could find. Not sure if it counts.

21. Aabcehmu

Aabcehmu Confusion As a Natural State of Being

This may be an Americanism, but I think that it's "harness's" if it's singular, and "harnesses'" if it's plural.

22. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

You haven't forgotten anything. Vaermina is still headcanoning their own "improved" fic since they can't stand the one thats actually being written.

Atrocititus is still stuck on Ysmault, per Word of Zoat.

kerleth, Vorian, boo600 and 7 others like this.
  23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat is adapting a storyline from the Green Lantern cartoon, that it turns out, was engineered by Atrocitus to recruit Razer into the red lantern corps.

So it's a natural enough assumption to make.

But as BR rightfully pointed out above, it's a wrong assumpton because Atrocitus is still imprisoned by the GLC.

In fact I remember Zoat mentioning that Atrocitus wouldn't make a Red Lantern Corps- he hates the GLC too much to emulate them.

So unless Zoat has changed his mind, which would be within his rights of course, Atrocitus would apparently do something else.

kerleth, Vorian, boo600 and 6 others like this.
  24. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

"than"

That gave me goosebump. Really intense stuff. Not just the part I quoted, but the entire thing with how Drusa and Alyn interacted together.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen Drusa use fully orange speech other than when deliberately using her ring.

I really like how this one was started. Very interesting to see things from Agnie's point of view.

I think it's cute how earnest she is.

Yes, she's used to earthling shenanigans.

Since when has Qwa-matter started to qualify as "subtle"?

I can't wait to see where this goes! Catching up is always a bitter-sweet feeling.

kerleth, Mr Zoat, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Also how clear the hint is, which Zoat has used in this story as a problem from both sides (as in, someone tries to hint something at Paul and he thinks they're hinting at something else, or Paul tries to hint at something to another character and they fail to understand him, e.g. Paul basically calling Nabu a supervillain and Diana not realizing that he's calling Nabu a supervillain, since she 'knows' that he isn't - blanking on what episode that was, but it was before Nabu died).

kerleth, boo600, dw7thdoctor and 2 others like this.
  26. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    12:23 GMT

"…drawing of the merchants." Razer looks at the picture the court artist was able to render. "I doubt that you will be able to find them based on this alone. We don't know what makes one member of their species stand out against the others."

"You'd be right, if I didn't recognise them."

The Free Lancers. They moved pretty quick-. No, wait, if they flew to Chughraghahh and used the portal there… Okay, that gets them closer, but they still-.

Then flew to Alstair and used their plant-based Dominion rip-off gate to fly to O and then flew here, then they could make it.

I should be charging them a percentage.

I've got no idea how they knew about this place. Sure, the Reach would happily fund them to pick up anything related to the emotional spectrum, but unless they tripped over it by pure chance… Don't know.

Ilana blinks at me. "Who are they?"

"Specialist… Traders, I've encountered before. They folded fairly quickly when I threatened them, but that just means that they're realistic. Have they been here before?"

Razer indicates the negative. "No. Apparently, this was their first visit."

"But they knew about the situation; they probably spoke to other traders."

So how secret was the fact that the miners were afflicted with insane rage? It wasn't a secret in the city, but..? No, no, they found that power ring deliberately. It would be difficult but not impossible for them to have acquired a system for detecting emotional spectrum energy. They'd already left by the time we arrived, so… Maybe the main focus of the Butcher's energy was detectable in a way that the residue wasn't?

I'll ask them when I catch up with them.

"Thank you for your assistance. My team will be leaving Volkreg to complete our investigation. I will return when that's done in order to enact a lasting peace. And, knowing me, probably some light industry. I can take you home now, or leave you here until I return."

Ilana and Razer look at each other for a moment, then turn back to me. Ilana makes a gesture of ending. "This has been… My horizons have expanded more than I thought possible."

"But we will need all hands in the fields now that there is once again sunlight with which to grow things."

"Understood. One moment."

I attach tethers to each of them and transition, appearing on the battlements of their home city. The small cluster of soldiers on the ramparts clutch their weapons for a moment, and then appear to recognise my companions.

"Thank you, once again, for your assistance."

I nod respectfully, and then transition back to Jade, already knowing what I'm going to see. Her armour's sensors detect me and she steps aside to see what drawing the locals have created. Not exactly display-worthy, but I pick out the Free Lancers from amongst the faces on display.

"The Free Lancers."

"They've travelled a long way. Any idea how?"

"It's possible due to the zeta relay on-."

"The one you built for Amalak. And then the gate near O, which you-."

"Yeah, no good deed goes unpunished." I huff quietly. "Rage absorbed, peace reigns, ash cloud gone. We're finished here, unless you can think of anything I've missed?"

"You haven't recruited anyone."

"We're too far from N.E.M.O. space, and I don't have time to teach someone. And I haven't encountered an outstanding candidate."

She nods. "Azmah or Turi?"

"We need to find out what the Free Lancers are doing, and if they're on Azmah then it's obvious what they're up to. Orion?"

Ping.

He's kneeling next to his astro-harness. His head is bowed, and his hands… I think he's praying. Odd. I didn't see any obvious buildings of worship in Super Town, and… I rather thought that their connection to the Source just… Rendered conventional worship meaningless. But he did just absorb quite a lot of red light, so I think I'll give it a minute or two.

Ping.

His eyes open and he stands, his muscles tense. Without looking at either of us he steps up onto the astro-harness.

Ping.

"Azmah."

I nod. "If you don't have an objection."

"The intensity of the rage is clearly enough to overwhelm mortal minds. Removing it wherever I find it is my duty to the Source. What concerns me is that Draan Del Daar knew that it was here and left the mortals to their plight."

"I'm not going to try and defend his behaviour. The only thing I can think of is that for most of his life this planet was uninhabited. It might genuinely have slipped his mind."

"There will be a reckoning either way."

"After he's made the ring. We need that."

Ping.

"I have not forgotten. Mother Box, open a Boom Tube to Azmah."

Ping.

BOOM!

Jade charges her maser. "So, this is a world where everyone's either being electrocuted to ash or fighting everyone else on the planet."

"Technically, they only fight everyone in their line of sight. And their government officials appear to be able to rise above it, though I think that's something to do with how they live in a Faraday cage. But I'm pretty sure that with sufficiently conductive dividers and an absence of the Butcher's Blood, we should be able to becalm them."

Orion flies through the portal, and Jade and I follow a moment later. Contacting the government-.

"YAAAGH!"

A hulking local man throws himself at Orion, axe in hand! Orion jinks around the swing and fires two astro-bolts to the back of the local's helmet. The man staggers but the lack of intelligent control doesn't stop him stomping around in a circle and swinging at Orion once more. This time Orion knocks his arm aside and counters, punching once, twice and then a third time into his face! On the third his helmet is torn off, and I take that as a opening to attach a shock construct to his head and stun him.

And here come the rest.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, then. That's about all the loot OL can get from this sidequest. Plenty of hardly-useful XP for all the sub-objectives, Razer prevented from having his little tragedy, and leads on the Butcher's Blood acquired. On to the next zone to 100%. :p

:mad: Oh, mother-fuckers! And this is the... Second time they've been involved in Spectrum-related acquisitions? Third? Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times... Is enemy action.

And working with the Reach probably has too many strings attached. And paperwork.

They don't seem the sort to make repeat visits, mind.

So someone has been feeding them information about Spectrum-related things.

And this time, don't let them go. Not until you've winnowed out every little secret they've got.

Travel will do that to a person...

...But after a long journey, sometimes the call of home is the loudest.

If nothing else, these two are going to have a lot of reputation bonuses in their local area.

Nice to have the confirmation, but frustrating that now they have to worry about them turning up on their other stops too.

I bet gaining access would have been expensive.

Hey, he can't hand out rings that willy-nilly, not with prior business to deal with first.

Which is closer? Which is the more likely place those assholes went?

"Just a second, Mister Lantern. He's taking care of a little something here."

"That's probably a good idea, dear. Don't worry, we're almost..." Honestly, I'm not surprised that some feel a more personal connection to It. And given It's everywhere, why would you need a church?

"...Done. Feeling better, Sweetie? Any ideas?"

Already learning to tap into the... What would the halls of power for Rage be? An Arena?

And they did seem to consider themself above petty things like morality, in the pursuit of pure science.

"He's got a point there, Sweetie. Once we're done, though..."

"Already had it charged up, Sweetie. Shall we go, folks?"

...Ah, right, this is one of the weird worlds of the DC Cosmos.

Sounds like this race has a lot closer tie to Rage than the Volkregians.

...Oh, hell, it's an entire planet of Doomguys, isn't it? :rolleyes:

At least they have a tank to keep the mooks off them.

Well, cue up the 'Doom' soundtracks, this place is going to be fun. And on the upside, at least the locals can't fly, so once they get a little air, the regular folks won't be troublesome. Let's hope this place doesn't take as long as Volkreg did, though. Because if the Free Lancers aren't here anymore, then every moment of delay lets them get further away.

They folded fairly quickly when I threatened them...
    Should be 'were', if he's referring to the Miners collectively?
    "Rage absorbed, peace reigns, ash cloud gone.

29. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

So Orion absorbed some Red, but they still missed out on the actual Blood, right? Just want to be clear.

Ardy, Istaran, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  30. DAT_NOOB

So I haven't missed something?