1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Oh, thank goodness. I don't think I could have handled a second day.

2. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Correct. It appears the Free Lancers made off with nearly the entire prize - making the quest now to find out why - and the residue that was left from so many eternities of the Blood being in place, Orion slurped up like a cherry Misty from Dairy Queen.

I'm not sure this next planet is going to be quite so Paragon on the quest meter, though.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  3. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

When did they learn about the situation on Azmah?

4. Mr Zoat

5. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Unrelated to the current episode, but can anyone remind me of what Donna’s exact origin was in this fic? I know there was an episode about it but I can’t remember anything that happened in it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I'll try and defend his behavior. Draan didn't put the Butcher's Blood on these planets, he just knew it was probably there. So he knew an environmental hazard (maybe) existed on some random planets he had no connection to. Who made it Draan's job to solve every problem in the universe?

It wasn't even doing that much on this planet. They probably lose way more miners to inhaling rock dust, and I don't see OL dropping everything to help improve industrial air filtration technology (though it's OL so he might do that eventually).

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The titans re-enacted the ritual that created Diana, so Donna is like the bootleg version of Diana.

Hence she is blessed by the Titans instead of the Olympians.

Cuchulin, Ardy and mastermenthe like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm still betting that it's Lysis.

The Qwardians were selling weapons to aliens and they may have used them.

They might have shrines in their homes.

Some religions do not require places of worship, but just the home.

Plus this could be him recharging his batteries so to speak.

Chronos also apparently did it at the same time, so Donna is in a way Diana's twin sister.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Wait a minute you primitive little fucker! The link head is bysy!"

"So the idiot is capable of having an intelligent thought. There really is a Source."

"Finished? It's about Source-damned time!"

More pure art.

"The monkey has a point. You can kill that walking turd later."

"Don't tell me what to do, fuckface!"

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Then why is Donna a teenager while Diana is a member of the greatest generation?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

For some reason, she was frozen in time as a baby and protected by a cultist, until a fire in the building where she lived accidentally killed said cultist, leading to Donna being freed, found, and subsequently adopted.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  12. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Donna wqs literally put in stasis while the cult tried to figure out what to do. And then the building burned down.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty much.

Though I think Chronos was trying to figure out how to best use Donna and not the cult.

Guess making her took a lot out of him that he wasn't able to respond for decades, or he's very patient and likes to take his time with planning.

14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Would something retroactive help?

Leaves

Is this a Britishism, or should this be "give it a minute"?

15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Razer and Ilana are going to be the local heroes that people tell their grandchildren about, aren't they?

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  16. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    12:31 GMT

"Outsider." One of the three individuals Liana referred me to glowers at me while speaking. The other two just glower. "Go away."

"I'd love to, but there's something that I need first. And I'd like to help with your… Total internal conflict issue."

"Already fixed."

I frown, and look out of the window at the people outside. While they're not fighting right now, that appears to be because they're either too tired or too injured to throw a punch.

"With the greatest respect, it doesn't look like it."

"Planet has long had multiple magnetic poles. Chaotic magnetic fields. Lightning storms. Our species uses these fields for navigation. Borders. Our sense of place."

"And.. increased electrical activity in your atmosphere… Given your sun, would be a perfectly normal consequence. And with that gone, no one knows where they are."

"You are less stupid than Green Lantern."

"There's a species on my homeworld who has something similar. They use our magnetic field to find the coast, but for some of them it goes wrong and they instinctively walk the wrong way. They end up in the middle of a frozen wasteland and die."

Liana 'fixed' the magnetic field to a simple north and south pole, which means that the interactions they need for a sense of place aren't happening any more. I thought that by 'walls' she meant literal walls. This problem actually makes sense.

"I don't think that I can turn your planet's magnetic field back, but I should be able to create enough conductive-."

"Stop. Trader already offered that." The local official scowls deeper. "Accepted. Machines spreading cables. Not work completely. People need to learn new wall map, but… Better."

"Did the traders look like-" I create a construct of the Free Lancers. "-this?"

"Yes."

"How are they rolling the cables out?"

"Their robots. Takes time."

"Do you have a copy of their plans? I'd like to help."

The local I'm talking to turns away, going into a huddle with the other two. I raise my left hand to my ear.

"Any luck?"

"They've already left. Orion's Mother Box has a read on their warp drive, so we might be able to follow it. It's been redesigned since last time you met them."

"Might be worth checking that they're not leaving a false trail. Anything on the Blood?"

"No. Liana's records are pretty clear: they all started fighting the moment she got rid of their walls, all at the same time, all over the planet. There might not be any focus of the Butcher's Blood here. There might not-"

I'm nodding. "Might not even be any here."

"Or the Free Lancers might have already taken it."

"Or that. Is Orion doing alright?"

"He wasn't talkative before and he isn't talkative now. I can't read his body language because he isn't human."

"Have-?"

"His god powers haven't changed my behavior significantly. If his people think anything like humans, he won't. He won't want to do anything that reminds him of his father. It's the same reason why I don't watch sports. I have found something interesting."

"Yes?"

"The magnetic fields these cables produce. It's not stable. It oscillates."

"Okay?"

"It's one of the things we look out for when detecting Reach mind altering technology. Some patterns of light are hypnotic. It wouldn't do anything to us, but to the locals it might have mind-altering power."

"Well spotted. I'll ask. Anything else?"

"No."

"Then I'll see you when I'm done here."

I lower my hand, waiting for the locals to finish their discussion. Two of them glance at me distrustfully, while the third looks more resigned.

"Yes." The metal floor next to him undulates, a globe covered in thin lines rising up as he gestures. "Here. Take. Make wires. Leave."

I attach a construct tether to it and pull it over. Quick scan… Got it. Compare it to population centre, scan intended cable composition and power generation… I can improve on that. And add a way to override those oscillations in case it turns out that they are nefarious, the probability of which appears to be in the region of 112%...

"Thank you."

I float the globe back towards them… And they ignore it.

Alright. I put it on the floor by their feet.

"I'll get right on that. I appreciate that Lanterns haven't exactly covered themselves in glory where your world is concerned, and I'm grateful that you're giving me the-" Totally voluntary. "-opportunity to make amends."

"Go away."

With all this rage around, it's a little difficult to make out the desire for normalcy that is its antithesis. But since the rage is essentially mundane it doesn't cloud it out quite as much as the Butcher's Blood did. So

I can

travel to the largest concentration of brawling locals and start fabricating cables and a generator. None of them bother looking up to spot me, and I-.

One gets dog piled as I watch, the high metal content of their body meaning that they don't bleed or break but rather bend in ways that make me wince. Still alive, still filled with rage, but-.

But if I reveal myself by using a purple healing ray, one, that might prolong their suffering and two, that might make them focus on me. Which would be fine, except that they might also focus on the cables I'm about to lay, which wouldn't. I-.

"Lantern. I have their trail. We should depart at once, lest they make some new mischief."

"But-."

"We can come back for the Blood, if they have not already taken it."

"They came up with a plan to stop the fighting. If I leave, their robots will take weeks to implement it. If I stay for a few…" Quick check. "A few hours, I can have it finished. You can stay or go-."

"If I go and the Blood remains… It will undo your work. They will descend into anarchy once more."

"Not necessarily."

"I will not risk it." I hear him sigh. "They escape this day."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  17. Mr Zoat

No.
    Thank you, corrected.

18. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I am feeling withdrawal symptoms...
    *update appears while typing this comment*
    Oh, uh, okay then!?

Godammit OL, the Freelancers (employers) obviously know, start presuming enemy action already!

19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Remarkable show of restraint on Orion's part. A good sign.

20. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

From her wiki page, her Oath of uncertain canonicity:
    "The Cosmos through, in every part, one thing endures: a loving heart. Against the knaves who'd quell this song, Green Lanterns stand, to right the wrong!"

How very golden-age.

The guardians expelled her over this, but they didn't fix the planet? Because, presumably, the natives didn't want anything to do with Green Lanterns after Liana? Okay...

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Just go along with it, guys. The sooner you play along, the sooner he'll be gone. A thing many people didn't learn and suffered through, well, having to deal with OL longer than necessary for. :p

Huh, must be siesta time. :p

And that is still a fucking weird geological phenomenon. :confused: How would that even have worked?

I suppose that explains them being part metallic. Natural radiation shielding.

...Okay. What made her think that was a good idea? Did she not even bother to check with the locals before sticking an oar into the magnetosphere and stirring well?

...Off-world traders, huh? I have a sneaky suspicion that...

...Well, shit. There's got to be a catch, then.

How... Inefficient.

No doubt their conversation has an undercurrent of 'We give stupid orange men this, he go away? Good?'

And that sounds extra suspicious. They must have hit a jackpot somewhere.

Or it's so distributed that it's undetectable. Like an invisible fog around everything.

...Also that, yes. Which is getting really annoying.

But not enough to put him in the uncanny valley? Interesting.

Given how many Sportmaster had supposedly 'mastered', and used as fighting styles, I can see why.

Let me guess. It periodically makes the locals angrier?

Given they do have a magnetic sense, that's a reasonable suspicion.

The problem is, will the locals want to tell you anything about that? Would they even be aware of the issue? A culture like this doesn't really strike me as having much of a scientific community.

Looks like a general majority: 'We don't like you.'

Now, on whose word did the Free Lancers set that up, I wonder...

Ah, shunning. The ultimate expression of 'Go away now'...

...And your ego doesn't want to let you be shown up by the Free Lancer assholes, eh?

At least the desires don't have anything about beating your skull into paste... Right now.

What would they care what's above, if someone they reflexively hate is right there in front of them?

Just drop them. If they aggro on the cables, push them back.

Ah, yes. There's always one asshole in a multiplayer scenario who just wants to run to the next quest marker and get in with it, huh?

And OL can always catch up with them easily enough if they run into trouble.

...Until you pick up their trail at the next planet. Because of course they'll have been there.

Dangit, OL. This is no time to get bogged down with busy work. The trail grows cold, and the longer you delay, the more likely the Free Lancers will acquire more of the Butcher's Blood. It might well hit a critical mass, and that would be bad for everyone nearby. :rolleyes: All while you run around fixing other people's mistakes...

Hoo boy. A few typos:
    ...they're either too tired or too injured to throw a punch.
    "Planet has long had multiple magnetic poles. (Unless they have odd tense use...)
    ...and they instinctively walk the wrong way. (Also a double space before 'they')
    "I don't think that I can turn your planet's magnetic field back...
    "It's one of the things we look out for when detecting Reach mind altering technology.
    ... the desire for normalcy that is its antithesis

22. Mr Zoat

How old are you? Because if you're my age or younger, then there's a reasonable chance that you'll live to see it.
    No. That's why she got fired.
    Thank you, corrected.

23. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Weird biology for an equally weird environment I suppose.

Hopefully locals are much friendlier when their whole magnetic map thing is back and feel less lost, in both senses of the word.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I kind of feel the need to point out here that the Butchers Blood doesn't actually belong to LePaul.

And unless they do something like try to destroy a planet with it, or sell it to The Reach. LePaul would absolutely be in the wrong to just take it from them.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  25. Rafin

I have difficulty understanding just what happened on Azmah and in what order.

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And even if you could read New God body language there's not a guarantee that you can read his.

Given his discipline it's possible that he has excellent control over his own expressions.

"locals"

Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Go read Green Lantern 162.
    Thank you, corrected.

28. Rafin

Which volume? There's apparently multiple.

Ardy likes this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Two.

30. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Because being in the moral wrong ahs stopped him before, yes?
    Ignoring all those we would consider 'wrong' (killing them, branding them etc), the Free Lancers are perfectly willing to allow someone to outbid a current client (as shown when they showed up with that Green Ring prototype and were interested to see if the Reach and Paul would have a bidding war).

Vorian, Relyt33 and Otto von Saurion like this.