1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

He's communicated with The Sphere waaay back when...mentioned something about his ring translator allowing him to fake it well enough to get the point across.

EDIT: Back here during the build up to meeting Scott and Barda.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Let's... Say that he can get a general impression, but doesn't understand it precisely enough for complex discussion. Or maybe it's something to do with the fact that it was set up for Orion.

3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’In finding’?

Was just re-reading this episode and I can’t remember the fate of Karmang and friends. Can anyone tell me if the bomb killed them all? And what happened with them in the Paragon universe?

4. Mr Zoat

No, he was trying to say something along the line of 'if finding out was all it took', but he garbled it due to being emotionally agitated.
    I'm pretty sure that he got away, but I don't always remember these things correctly.

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In the Paragon timeline, Karmang is definitely still around but hasn't revealed himself yet. In the Renegade timeline, it's ambiguous as to whether or not the Renegade's bomb killed him and his followers.

Duke Long and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    20:34 GMT

Luna and I sit on a bench in the palace gardens. Somewhere in the palace behind us Celestia and Sombra are getting reacquainted.

Eh.

Probably 'reacquainted' and not 'reacquainted', on the grounds that a swarm of bats haven't flown past us. Or a cloud of dust.

"Why are you smirking?"

"Do ponies have step ladders?"

That gets me a curious frown. "You know that we have ladders." I don't meet her eyes, keeping my face entirely stationary. "Will We regret asking?"

Then I grin. "I don't know. Ask and find out."

She considers for a moment and then turns her head away, rolling her eyes.

"Worry not, We have deduced it."

"You don't want to check?"

"King Sombra is an umbrum. Our sister's beau merely maintained his morals rather than reverting to type."

"Yes?"

"He can assume the form of a cloud. We doubt that he will struggle in…" She hesitates to find words that she's comfortable using. "…gaining height. And We are reasonably confident that Our Sister can alter her height, should that…"

She squirms uncomfortably.

"Should that be required. Hm." Her horn glows, and the atomic pocket watch I got her appears out of her magic pocket. "And now it is time to raise the moon."

"You think that Celestia is going to handle the sun, or… Do you think she's occ-?"

"We do not want to speculate on Our Sister's… Habits."

"They're not really 'habits' if she hasn't done them for a thousand-."

"That is enough! We-." The glow around her horn flickers. "Ah. It-."

"It..?"

"Appears that she is occupied. The magic of her former student is reaching for the sun, with her blessing."

Luna gets off the bench and takes a few steps forward. Then her wings flare as her entire body glows with her magic aura. Three wing beats and the moon is hoisted and the sun lowered.

"WOOHOO!"

I jerk my head around to look at the palace, where Sunset's silhouette is jumping up and down behind the curtains.

"Sounds like Sombra does good wor-."

Luna bats me with her wing as she retakes her place. "That was Sunset Shimmer, as well you know. Do you think that granting her that privilege will improve her relations with Our Sister in some way?"

"It's a pretty clear sign that she trusts her. You know, to handle the sun and not try switching to a heliocentric model on her own initiative."

"Wouldst..? She..?"

"Probably not, but I'll remember to have Jean notify me if she starts using my mountain's computers to model the process, just in case." I tilt my head back, taking in the night sky. "Huh."

"Have you some observation to make about Our work?"

"Oh, no. No. No."

"What?"

"Well, it's just…" I raise my right forehoof. "That one there. It makes a perfect pattern with the stars around it, but… Then you've got that formation over there which makes a strong line across the sky, and if your eye keeps going, that star nearly-but-not-quite lines up with it. It just… It just takes you out of it a little, you know? It's not, like… Bad, or anything…"

"Hmm." She rubs her chin with her right hoof. "We… Think We see what you mean. It would only be visible in such a light from certain positions on the ground, but… We may be able to change it."

"Nah, don't worry, I got it. Ring, delete C Seven."

"By your command."

The star vanishes, and I keep my face extremely still as Luna's jaw falls open.

"A-?"

"There, see, now they're clearly separate shapes."

"A-?"

"What do you think?"

"Aaaaaaa-?"

I turn my head to look at her with an expression of innocent concern on my muzzle. "Are you alright? Did you swallow something the wrong way?"

"How-?" Her horn shimmers. "How-? No. Wait. We can still feel-."

I fall off the bench. "HAhahahahaha!"

"What-? What hast thou done, oh infernal kelpie-limmer!"

I roll over, my eyes clouded by tears!

Luna picks me up with thaumokinesis, forcing me to look her in the eyes. When it becomes clear that I'm still going to laugh, she shakes me back and forth in an attempt to snap me out of it.

"EXPLAIN THYSELF!"

"Uh. Sister?" We both turn our heads as a concerned Celesia and a puzzled Sombra approach from the palace. "Is there..? Ah…"

Without turning her head, Luna points her right forehoof in the direction of the now-absent star.

"That!"

They look at the empty sky, then back at me. And I really do try to get it together.

"I had my people fabricate a big metal sheet and use a hush tube to put it in near-Wilson space so I could just shift it a little and block the light from the star! It's still visible from just about everywhere else!"

"Ghk!"

Celestia snerks, then swiftly covers her mouth with a hoof when Luna flashes her a look of shocked betrayal. Sombra nervously looks like he's thinking about laughing too.

"It took so much time on the fabricator that three villages starved to death from the lack of farming tools! Hah!"

Luna's face hardens as she drops me on my haunches. "Thou art lying."

"Of course I am. It was only one-."

"Silence! Silence. We are contemplating the form of thy punishment."

"Sister, turnabout is fair play." Celestia has her face back under control. "Perhaps it would be sporting to prank Grayven back?"

"Will you..? Aid us?"

Celestia smiles pleasantly at me.

"I would be delighted to."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    Neruz, Turalon94, explbean and 135 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nice to see such family binding.

Make his life Hell, girls.

I mean, it's possible that Sunset and Celestia said that at the same time.

Not cool interrupting their horsing around time, renegade.

8. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That's a nice end for the episode.

Ardy, Jaron, TheSkywardStar and 2 others like this.
  9. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Interesting that Renegade Paul is using his Orange ring. Sinestro might still be out- checks chapter times and dates- seven hours later. It is also possible that Grayven is continuing his habit of using the Orange ring for mundane tasks and Sinestro’s ring for important stuff. If this really is a worrying situation… then we might jump back a few hours once Paragon Paul attempts his own white light scheme.

Could someone remind me who Jean is? I know she replaced the Challenger of the Unknown who allowed Grayven to continue using her mountain… and Jean obviously isn’t a kryptonian, but otherwise I’m drawing a blank.

10. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’where’
    ’makes’

Ardy, Wheenesss, Mr Zoat and 3 others like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If I remember correctly she was a genomorph that serves as hid personal assistant.

kerleth, Jaron, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Probably not in the naughty sense. I doubt their relationship had ever gone that far. The joy of being separated by worlds and bounds of respect. I also expect that when they do consummate matters, it's going to be noticeable. Like Superman and Wonder Woman in 'The Dark Knight Strikes Again'. The Earth will literally move. x3

...I hope she was at least some kind of Vampire in that scene? o_O Because what even.

Only if you want to indulge his lewd Dad jokes.

I can tell that's a 'why did I ever find you attractive?' moment... But she knows why she does.

For those not getting it: Picture a Chihuaha and a Great Dane. :p Do the math.

I like that they have an actual type of spirit that he can be identified as...

Think 'full-body massage. Inside and out'. :VOr something akin to the Renegade's old playtimes in Tokyo...

...Hopefully she's professional enough to let Sombra know she needs to be able to focus for at least a couple of minutes.

Renegade, you're starting to push it clear into the Squick zone. :oops:

Oh, is Luna going to have to handle both heavenly bodies?

Ooh, Sunset stepping up. I wonder if Celestia poked her magically, or if she saw the opportunity and seized it?

...And apparently you can do one hell of a jig with four legs. :p

I half picture both of them reaching out, and Celestia pausing, then pulling back with a polite 'Go ahead, show me you've got this.'

...I wouldn't put it past her, if only in the name of efficiency and simplicity.

I suppose stargazing around here is more art appreciation than simply astronomy.

...Careful, Renegade, that's a dangerous tone of voice. Put a hoof wrong here and you're gonna be sleeping in a mudhole.

At least she isn't spelling out rude messages in the stars, only visible to certain nations. :D

...What? :confused:

What?! o_O

What?! :eek:

...I think you broke her.

...Let me guess, he hung a shade?

Oooh, she's pissed! Thought I recognise the term 'Kelpie'... Limmer? What the..? :confused:

Careful, Renegade, she may decide to start strangling you.

Ah, Luna's reverted to Old Rpyal Canterlot Voice volume, eh? I expect having the palace windows rattle might have gotten their attention.

...I expect Celestia would sense the issue, but Sombra? Probably just confused.

The easiest way to occlude a light source without turning it off, of course.

Thought that might make Luna snap something. Like the Renegade's spine. Which she still has in her figurative paws.

Hey, he does have an 'affably evil' reputation to maintain, after all. And starving people for the sake of a prank is pretty evil. :D

...Make him hang out with the Mane Six. Without allowing him to mess with them.

Oooh, a chance for some sisterly bonding! Renegade, you magnificent bastard.

Narrator: "And history remembers this as the day 'Trollestia' was spawned..."

Well, at least it's confirmed that the White light exposure has fully fixed Sombra. And he and Celestia are wasting no time with their romance, eh? Pity the Renegade will be in the pig-pen for a while thanks to this little prank. Still, at least he got Celestia and Luna to begin bonding in earnest, even if it's over messing with him.

13. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I believe is a Genomorph explicitly designed to be Grayven's head of staff? Head maid? Majordomo? Something like that for his mountain.

Ardy, Wheenesss, Xmaster3000 and 2 others like this.
  14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

make -> makes
    start -> star

What a lovely end to this story arc. Grayven has really done a lot of good for Luna and Celestia and all Equestria.

Is it wrong that I now like Grayven more than OL?

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    And the human does it better than the AI. HAH!
    Yes. Report for re-education at once.

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Will we see Sombra and Grayven bro-bonding?

17. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Sometimes you just gotta pony up!

Xmaster3000 and Otto von Saurion like this.
  18. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

That prank was hilarious, actually the whole situation was pretty funny.

Xmaster3000 and Otto von Saurion like this.
  19. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Out.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Silveraith like this.
  21. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

22. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Isn't Jean the old lady who used to be part of the team that lived at Challenger Mountain? And is immune to destiny?

23. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Jean's the majordomo of Renegades mountain, and is a Genomorph much like Dubblex...or the other one that's with The Team in this timeline. Xy? Exnie? something like that

Ardy likes this.
  24. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

This is QQ, and there is that other thread.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    16:04 GMT

There's Turi, as airless and rocky as ever. And there's Draan Del Daar's laboratory. And a little way away to my right is the most secure planet in N.E.M.O., its largest shipyard and the densest concentration of Lanterns in the universe and I'm still concerned.

But I founded a Corps because we can do more together than I can on my own.

"Illustres to Clarissi Dox."

"Report."

"I've gathered what the maltusian Draan Del Daar needs to forge a red power ring. It might be worth having a few more spiritually resilient Lanterns on hand just in case something goes wrong."

His eyes narrow very faintly. "Such as?"

"A tremendous explosion of rage which temporarily disrupts our ability to use the orange light. It's not likely, but something's off about this situation."

"I will have Lantern Ragnar call a halt to ring training, and place a fleet on alert. Have a care."

"Will do, sir. Thank you. End. Ring, call Kalmin."

"What?"

"I've talked a maltusian into making a red power ring. Do you want to watch?"

He glowers, then hesitates, thinking it over. "Yes. It will be interesting to compare techniques. He's on Turi?"

"Yes. I'll see you shortly. End."

"A qwardian?" Orion's helmet covers his face, but he sounds unhappy. "Are you trying to redeem him?"

I hear Jade make an amused snort, though I don't know whether that was transmitted to Orion as well.

"Harm mitigation. He's always going to want to destroy things, but this way he's destroying the Reach instead of orphanages. And he's done-."

"Orphanages?"

"I recently visited a planet where he amped up the ambient fear until their civilisation collapsed and their population died off."

"You made such a devil a part of your Corps?"

"Yes. Would you like me to show you the ship's he's designed, and the estimates of the number of lives they've saved?"

"And you think that justifies his presence here?"

I shrug. "I'm not sure by what standard it could be justified in any absolute sense, but he's doing good work for us. It justifies it for me."

Orion's jaw hardens-.

Ping.

"And if it helps, he destroyed the qwardian ruling class almost single-handedly, because he doesn’t care what he destroys as long as he is destroying."

"Oh? Does the 'New God' object to my behaviour?" Kalmin brought his hammer with him, but it's currently in the 'at rest' position. "Don't think for a moment that I'm under their protection. You can come at me whenever you want."

Orion's grip on his astro-harness-.

"After we've used the red ring to remove the Anti-Life from Earth. Prioritise, Orion."

Ping.

Orion locks eyes with Kalmin for a moment, then turns his head just enough that he can glare at me from the corner of his eyes. "I am disappointed."

Then he flies, swooping down towards the laboratory, as I feel… Like I've let someone down.

I shake my head. I haven't made any undertaking to New Genesis about who I will and won't recruit now, much less when I was starting out.

"I hope the maltusian is more interesting."

Kalmin raises his hammer, and vanishes.

"While we're on the subject of working with monsters…"

"You're not a monster, Jade. Even at your worst-."

"Thank you, but I wasn't thinking about me. Did you kill Ra's al Ghul?"

"Ah, no? Didn't I..? Tell you..?"

"You did, but there were Justice League people around."

"I'm not totally sure that he's dead, but I suspect that Nylor Truggs killed him and a bunch of other people with his robots. And despite his skills, Ra's al Ghul isn't-. Wouldn't be anything like as useful as Kalmin."

She appears to accept that. I point towards the laboratory.

"Shall we?"

She nods, and I transition both of us down. And… It's a workshop. Some of the machinery I recognise from Hinon's workshop. Others I don’t recognise at all. On the plus side, I was half-expecting to see the Free Lancer's ship here and it isn't. On the negative, no Draan Del Daar.

Something that clearly hasn't improved Orion's mood.

"Did you not tell him that we were ready?"

"No, I told him." I shake my head. "Illustres to Draan-"

Kalmin looks around, then walks over to a point near a seven-dimensional quantum disentangler.

"-Del Darr. We're here?"

Kalmin jerks his right hand towards the floor, qwa energy flaring and annihilating all that's in its way! What is he-?

An armoured… Airlock? Door?

"I see that Kalmin has found the door. Please, come-" The airlock opens. "-and join me."

"Foolish maltusian." Kalmin jumps through. "An ominous doorway? Who do you think I am?"

"This grows tiresome."

Orion flies down after him, and Jade and I follow after that.

Inside is a straight flight down, the walls of the corridor undulating around us as it separates the vacuum outside from… Yes, breathable air inside. We're… Quite a way inside Turi's body now, and I can see up ahead where the maltusian structure ends and… Some new construction begins.

Kalmin's already out at the far end, examining the walls.

"A qwardian structure? Have you been dealing with m-?" He pulls back from the wall, a pale brown energy shield appearing around him. "With my..?"

He collapses to the ground.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  26. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

Should be grows

27. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Kalmin dying here would be unexpected, but hilarious, ngl.

28. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Pretty sure that should be 'Daar's laboratory'

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Shit is about to go down.

Well you've let down potentially billions when you didn't kill Kalmin.

But his absence will stop his mood from growing worse

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Still seems rather foolish to perform this little process so close to home, but we can but hope that Draan has taken the appropriate precautions. Honestly, using Orion's Boom Tube to set up a site at the edge of the universe might have been safer, but haste won out over safety...

Yes, definitely a good idea to put people at the ready.

Anything from 'rage-berserk New God' to 'Oh shit, here comes the Butcher!' You're a smart guy, Dox, I'm sure you can imagine the worst.

In other words, if this fucks up, OL is the one who'll be neck-deep in it.

Showing some professional courtesy? 'Hey, we're about to try and make the thing you didn't want to. Wanna stand there and laugh at us if we fail?'

Heh, now you've got him curious, eh?

I mean, you'd think that, given OL's other hires, but...

OL, I don't think he'll take 'we're trying to aim him at acceptable targets' as an excuse.

Why do I get the feeling Orion's having second thoughts?

And it's not like New Genesis' hands are clean of blood, you know.

And at least you know what he's doing. Would you rather have him out there doing Source-knows-what?

"Sweetie, keep the dog under control. We still have things to do before you can clean house."

And I'm sure Orion would be happy to take you up on that offer. I'm sure you've got plenty of anti-New God weaponry you'd like to test.

"Remember the bigger picture, Sweetie. We can deal with this louse later."

Oof. Even if he didn't hear the words, at least OL caught the sentiment behind Orion's mood.

Kalmin, keep your mouth shut, before it gets you into trouble you can't treat like a nail...

"What next in the parade of constant interruptions?" :rolleyes: Honestly, does everyone need a heart-to-heart right now?

...I mean, he did put a railgun shot through his head. But I don't think she means temporarily.

To be fair, that is a good reason not to talk about eliminating a global threat permanently.

And he's like a bad penny. He'll turn up sooner or later, fresh from a Lazarus pit.

Yeah, them being here would have been the perfect cap for a long, frustrating day. Especially if it turned out Draan had hired them to collect Spectrum tech before OL came to him...

Dude's a grade-A jerk-ass. Don't take it personal.

Please, don't poke the weird science, Kalmin. I doubt your host would take kindly to it.

...Draan's pulling some sort of psychological trick, aren't they? Make them angry enough to make forging easier?

Oh, this isn't a trap at all, no sir.

Seriously, guys. Compare 'weapons' some other time. More important things to do than stroke your 'egos'.

Interesting. What kind of construction, though?

...At least he shut up? :oops:

So.. .Double-cross or just interpersonal conflict? Draan pulling a fast one on OL and company, or does he just not like Kalmin? The Qwardian stuff suggests he's gotten some expert advice from someone else. Lysis, perhaps? Or maybe Draan's been indulging in a little theft of Qwardian intellectual property... :confused: So many possibilities, and I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow.