1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"joke's"

Mr Zoat and Assblaster5000 like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, that's intentional.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

So the question I have right now is that Hinon was the one who recommended they go to this guy for the Red Ring. Did she forget what he was like when he had his rage (unless that happened when she was in a coma and she didn't double check?)
    Because I can't imagine Turi (forget the weapons name) being very subtle as it starts to wake up.

4. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Maybe this guy was the best option, as terrible as he is.

mastermenthe likes this.
  5. Smartkittykhan

Smartkittykhan Making the rounds.

First of all, nice work finding that. Always love to see more obscure bits of lore get attention.

I doubt this will be canon to the Zoat-verse though.
    It seems rather human-centric to assume the the Butcher originated from Earth when we know there are civilisation that predate humanity in this universe.
    Logically speaking they must have felt rage, right?

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm not a Sandman expert, but according to something I read on the internet, it's apparently been hinted that Cain and Abel is a true story in Sandman- but it didn't happen on Earth.

So if Zoat wanted Cain and Abel to have been blue Maltusians who lived billions of years ago, it wouldn't actually break anything.

7. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"Hey, what gives! What did you expect when you set us up with this guy, Hinon?"
    "I expected him to trick you into collecting a powerful source of the red light, him teaching Orion how to forge a red ring, him going insane and stealing the red light, and you killing him and leaving Orion as the bearer of a red ring. But knowing you, you've found a way to ruin it. What actually happened instead?"
    "Oh, nevermind, I guess we're good then."
    "Wanted him dead for the last billion years or so. Good job."

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  8. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Oh! It sounds to me like you want something!

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and BR549 like this.
  9. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Random thought, this guy is controller right? Aren't they all about self-control? And if not, what faction of malthusians is he?

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If memory serves- No. He doesn't belong to any faction. In the Zoatverse here, most Malthusians are so independent minded that they aren't willing to be part of any organization that would have them, to paraphrase Groucho Marx.

11. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Well, she did recommend him as the least likely to pull a sudden yet inevitable betrayal.
    What? The Tech proto-Titan or something else?
    Eh, with the Source as God, biblical stuff can happen before humanity, it’s just a lot of stuff (the Garden, for example) gravitated to Earth. Plus, the White Entity is on earth so it would make sense for other E-Spec stuff to have happened there. And that’s before getting into the possibility of achronal origins.

12. Smartkittykhan

Smartkittykhan Making the rounds.

Huh, did not know that.

I suppose that does open up some interesting possibilities.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    Ngamer11 and boo600 like this.
  13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Draan is not a Controller. At this point, all Controllers are bonded to the Orange Central Power Battery. There's a reason Hinon recommended this guy to make a Red Ring.
    Whether or not she missed this (Draan deciding to re-link with the Red Light and then go crazy mad) is anyone's guess.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yup.

The Qwardians used their planets one of those to create the mind of the Void Hound. And because the Void Hound is completely and utterly unstoppable, the only way to beat it was to use Earth's to destroy it's mind.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    16:25 GMT

"Uh."

Kalmin forces himself up on all fours as Orion writhes in Draan's hold.

"What did you do to..? Me?"

"Nothing."

He rises to his feet, his force field shutting off. "Disappointing. A minor manifestation of the Butcher Entity. Is the maltusian trying to bond with this battle station's central intelligence?"

"Not according to him. Ever killed a maltusian?"

He jerks his head my way.

"On Qward, that would be a marriage proposal."

He raises his right hand, a qwa bolt forming in an instant-. And then falling apart, the energy being drawn upwards into a device mounted in the ceiling.

"That's never happened bef-. No matter." He strides forward with his hammer at the ready. "I will-."

He shudders, dropping to one knee and staring ahead.

"How could-?"

Draan grins through bloody teeth. "You don't remember it, qwardian? Given how well you've internalised the Anti-Monitor's creed, there can't be that many weapon systems that have such an effect on you."

"The Void Hound. It's… Here."

"It has been for some considerable time. Your master gave it excellent disguise systems."

He… Stands, pushing the weakening Orion back even as he keeps the axe in his chest.

I fire an energy beam at his face. It hits… For about a fraction of a second, then it just… Stops, a few millimetres away from his skin.

"You can't touch the Ophidan here, can you? She would be a threat."

Orion collapses to his knees, and Draan casually checks the levels in the troughs. That's an obvious approach. But-.

I make eye contact with Jade and try to surreptitiously offer her the Mother Box.

"Nearly done."

Assimilate troughs.

Thick beams of orange light flash out, striking-. A force field, which causes my constructs to fade away. Alright, crumblers-.

"Do you really think that primitive technology will work?"

"It usually does."

He releases his left hand's grip on the axe and uses it to shove Orion over. Orion drops, falling onto his back and struggling to move. Then Draan pulls the axe out of his chest and holds it up to examine it, blood still coating the blade. It takes a moment or two, but his robes mend themselves and the wound appears to close.

Jade takes the Mother Box from me as Draan fixes me with a stare, his eyes glowing red.

"You have no idea how right this feels."

"I removed my own ability to desire things when I separated myself from the Ophidian."

"Could you maintain it for a billion years?"

"No, but humans aren't designed to live as long as maltusians. We experience time differently."

Jade scuttles around the room to-. No, wait, why are you giving that to Kalmin? Draan doesn't look at her, but I don't think for a moment that he isn't aware of her.

"I'll let you out in a billion years and see how you feel."

He tosses the axe aside as he turns away, striding out through a newly-opened door in the far side of the room which closes securely behind him.

Oh dear.

I get a purple healing ray out of subspace and start shooting Orion with it.

"Kalmin, where are we?"

"We are inside Erdammeru. The Void Hound. An AI controlled battle station of colossal power. Ranx might be regarded as a cheap knock-off, though I suspect that its original specifications might have been similar."

He pokes the Mother Box.

Ping.

Kalmin grunts and raises his right hand, the qwa-energy that had been dismissed raining back down and reforming into a bolt. He checks it for a moment, then nods in satisfaction.

"Is it powerful enough to destroy Maltus?"

"Possibly. I only know it from very old legends which I could never fully investigate."

"How do we stop it?"

"Kill the organic creature directing it. Or the beast-mind itself. Otherwise, unleash a wave of destructive energy powerful enough to atomize it."

"Would qwa-matter work?"

For a moment he looks… Lost.

"Not if what the maltusian said is true. If the Anti-Monitor built this, for… Whatever reason he saw fit, his gifts will not avail me."

"And you couldn't kill Draan because..?"

"He is the ship's controller. Until that relationship is broken-." He growls quietly. "Without my full workshop, there is little I can do against him."

"Have you finished with the Mother Box?"

"No. Its sensors aren't being disrupted by Erdammeru. I want to listen as Maltus dies."

Jade snatches it back, then brings it closer to Orion.

Ping.

"Aaaaaaaaah…"

He's looking a little healthier, but his face and clothing… Haven't changed back. If they haven't changed back…

"Mother Box? Is Draan still… Connected to Orion?"

"Ping."

"Stole it? But it's still Orion's, right?"

"Ping."

"You were helping Orion suppress his rage, weren't you?"

"Ping?"

"Can you help him remember it instead?"

"… Ping."

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'Maltus'.

That should say 'built'.

That should say 'Maltus'.

Did Draan steal all of Orion's rage? If so, then I can't wait to see him get angry again and go for Round 2. On the downside, Orion's never going to trust Paul ever again.

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Spiritual tug of war between a New God and a Maltusian? I wouldn't bet on the god...

18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I feel that's a positive.

Paul way of thinking is quite inhuman.

19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

So is it safe to say Paul is now fluent in Mother Box?

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh-ho. About bloody time you woke up, sleepy-head. And before you ask: Situation Now All Fouled Up. At least our protagonists now have another pair of hands to try and slap the near-god-like ancient immortal chock full of Rage into surrender.

Blame it on your surroundings.

Nice, not even a moment's hesitation pinging it as a battle station. Though that would be like calling a supermodel 'plain'.

Dangit, OL! Blundering into romantic lines without even trying, still? At least he can't start any other relationships while he's with Jade.

Oooh. I think I get what happened to him when he walked in: The facility leeched all his energy away, and it's taken this long for him to recharge.

...And now he knows where he is, and what he's inside.

HEh. Probably a religious experience on par with finding the actual Ark of the Covenant. Qward's greatest weapon.

Guess it makes a handy conduit for touching Orion's soulstuff, and draining it of Rage.

I suspect that would get the Butcher's attention. While they aren't as absolutely hostile to each other as some of the Entities, they still get on about as well as two giant emotional monsters normally get along. (Picture your favourite Kaiju battle here.)

If nothing else, she can try to run, and get word out, assuming people haven't noticed Turi shuddering and rolling over as what's within wakes up.

Probability of success... Low.

Earth Bullshit™, baby. Their track record speaks for them.

Let me guess: He's thinking 'Nice balance. I'll keep that design in mind.'

Though you did take it back later, once it was safe to. Not hardly the same thing here.

I can just picture a Maltusian sitting there for days, watching the sky as it rolls from day to night, and then get up like they took a five minute break.

We aren't quite at the Godzilla threshold yet, but honestly, Kalmin might be able to do something with Mother box to help.

Sheesh. The inevitable Unwinnable Boss Fight to give you a taste of their tactics and methods. Hopefully OL learnt enough that the inevitable rematch will go his way.

...And why do you look like you're having a religious experience?

"Watch where you're poking those fingers, sirrah!" :confused: Well... That's a worrying evaluation.

Let's assume that it can at least glass the surface. Even if it can't crack the mantle, that much damage will not make the locals happy.

Not easily, I suspect. It's more than likely capable of killing Maltusians, and anything else is just fodder compared to that.

...Assuming it hasn't developed countermeasures against it. Which is probable. It's creators probably wanted to make it unstoppable, after all

I think we can guess the reason: Killing stuff.

And even then, it's a coin-flip?

:confused: ...Dude.

"Thank you, dear. Now, Orion, Sweetie, let's have a look at you..."

The Rage may have warped his metaphysique. Whether it;'ll wear off remains to be seen, I bet.

"I'm not sure. But I do know he stole all of his rage."

"Theoretically? It was all mixed in with his Godname..."

"...Where are you going with this?"

"...What."

Okay, OL. Now I really want to know where you're going with this. Because the only place I see this going is you making Orion give the Butcher a come-hither glance an inviting shout. Because at this point, that might be the only thing that could stop Draan: "You No Use My LIGHT!" And there's still the matter of Erdammeru being under Draan's control...

21. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Ah yes. Using the stolen rage as the backdoor. What could possibly go wrong?

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You absolutely shouldn't given they've kicked Darkseid's ass before.

That said, expect a Dues Ex Machina that lets Orion win.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  23. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Orion is not a war god. He's an angry god.

And now he gets to let it all out.

The Butcher has found its host.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Void Hound very specifically blocks Entities.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Just follow the Hulk school of thought.

If anger doesn't work, use more anger.

26. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Doesn't look like it's blocking the Butcher right now.

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘casually’
    ’Haven’t changed back.’?
    ’If he hasn’t changed back…’?

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

It feels like it would have been more prudent and less problematic for Paul to call up a Paul in a Marvel Universe and ask to borrow a Hulk for a few weeks.

30. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Most Hulks don't actually work well for Red. Wrong kind of rage.