1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

It's a shame he never met Canis they could have been Terrible great friends.

Old Knife, Cuchulin, w34v3r and 4 others like this.
  2. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Bah, what's there to blame Paul for? Draan Del Daar clearly just took part in an ancient and noble Maltusian tradition, harking back to the very start of the universe itself.

Fucking around and Finding Out.

Cuchulin, w34v3r, BBJimmy and 16 others like this.
  3. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

There is no way it was that easy.

moralrelativity likes this.
  4. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Hold up

"No Bonus"???

What bonus would the Freelancers get for what???

Helping kill OL? Backing Up Draan?

...Did they find yet another piece of The Butcher?
    ...a bonus for activating Erdammeru?
    ...a bonus for staying to witness Passion Unleashed?

5. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Could Mother Boxes always read minds freeform from non-gods and communicate through telepathy?
    Your memory has been good throughout the years, but at this point, given the length of the story and the fact that you've been writing for almost a decade, it might be a good idea to keep more extensive notes.
    considerably
    Are the red quotation marks here on purpose? The subsequent ones don't have them.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.

7. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

TIL that twain was a word.
    I don't remember having ever seen it used before. Is it archaic, or too upper class to be found on the internet ?

moralrelativity and Xmaster3000 like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Is "at there" a Britishism? I would have just expected "there".

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The other shoe should be the Void Hound intelligence taking over and just destroying everything.

But I am guessing Zoat removed that function from his story.

11. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

IMO it's not quite archaic but in my experience it's been at least 40 years since it's been in common use.

Xelloss and Prince Charon like this.
  12. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Here is hoping Orion comes out of this with Red Light Enlightenment. With his connection to The Source, he shouldn't require The Butcher's approval.

Ngamer11 and moralrelativity like this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Geoffrey Talbot didn't need the Butcher's approval to gain enlightenment, so Orion shouldn't either.

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 26)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    18:13 GMT

Harrow shrugs, his expression suggesting a casual acceptance of events and an easy-come-easy-go attitude. He waves with his manacled hands.

"Illustres! Might I prevail upon you to release a group of honest traders caught up in events far larger than them?"

"It's not impossible that you will be released once our investigation is complete, and we will be expediting matters."

"Not all that reassuring, but it is better than what I was expecting."

Jade shoves him to the ground next to his colleagues, just in front of their ship.

"Alright, you don't have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something that you later rely on in court."

I look over the three of them, Risque's arm bandaged from where Jade shot her when she resisted arrest.

Yes, I could fix it, but I'm not feeling all that companionable right now.

Harrow grins. "Was that a quote?"

"Standard arrest script from my home country. We're stuck on a planetoid-sized war AI built by a being whose primary goal was the conversion of all reality into energy he could consume and the only way to get out is with the help of a rage-maddened war god. I'm not feeling good about that. Are you?"

Chance nods. "We were working on technology to manipulate the lights, like your power rings do. A lot of qwardian stuff on the market right now, if you know where to look for it. The Controller came-."

"He wasn't a Controller. Same species, but it's a political distinction."

Chance shrugs. "Daar came to us. Told us where we needed to be and how to get there. Someone built a couple of long range faster than light-."

"I know, I oversaw their construction."

Harrow nods approvingly. "Help a lot of people, those will."

"And we pick up some stuff for him. Even offered to fix one of the planets."

"Oh, I know. Good work. I completed your plan."

Risque glowers weakly at me. "We haven't done anything wrong and it was one of your people who hired us. What's your problem?"

"You're rapidly getting to the point where we can't risk you treating with our enemies, and given that Draan Del Daar was planning on using this place's primary weapons to destroy Maltus, this counts. Regardless of your criminal status, we might have to confine you as a strategic threat."

Harrow looks away, sighing. "That's the reward for hard work, I suppose."

Kalmin walks out of their ship, looking unimpressed.

"Their workshop isn't terrible, but the ship is severely undergunned. We can't get out that way."

Risque grimaces. "It's not supposed to be a warship."

"Alright. Please, keep an eye on the Free Lancers while I go and talk to Orion."

I fly back towards the forge room. I'm going to need to talk to Hinon about some sort of mental health check for unaligned maltusians when we get out of here, because Draan was clearly suffering for a very long time.

And the other two were supposed to be worse.

I hear the ringing of hammer on anvil as I approach, and I… I can feel it as well. It's… Oppressive, squeezing out other thoughts while somehow being unable to replace them. In my case, at least.

Ping.

"…my father's face."

As I fly in, Orion sets his hammer down… And picks up a red power ring from the forge.

"Done. A more perfect refutation of my father I cannot imagine."

"It's done, then?"

He holds it up to admire it.

"Yes. With this, every trace of my father shall be expunged from the universe." His face turns just enough to allow him to look at me. "And then I can deal with any other vermin."

"Snakes are not, technically, vermin. Just… Just a ring?"

"What else do I need?"

"A personal lantern, if you want to recharge it."

"I am a New God aligned spiritually to the Butcher." He slides the ring on his right ring finger. "I am beyond such limits."

Ping.

"Alright. We're still stuck in here. You're the only person in here angry enough to interface with Erdammeru. Would you mind giving it a go?"

He clenches his right fist, a floating red sigil appearing over his chest.

"I hear it. I will bring it to heel."

Ping.

"It will make an excellent weapon against Darkseid."

He stalks out of the forge chamber, and I assume that he knows where he's going. Nothing much I can do to help him.

That's my red ring, I suppose. Not sure what Izaya's going to say about the physical or psychological state he's in, but I won't exactly be sad if he does tear Apokolips apart with Erdammeru's primary weapons.

I vaguely remember the comic version of this place from a Crime Syndicate comic, and the Syndicate and League beat it because it was stupid enough to focus all of its weapons at a single point in their formation. I also remember it being quite good at blowing up planets.

So. Waiting for yellow. Now I need indigo, and I've got no idea where they hang out. I seem to remember that their homeworld had indigo compassion crystals on the surface, so maybe it's listed in old maltusian records? Ub'x didn't seem to want to talk to me last time, but maybe he was acting on incomplete information? I'm-

We feel the moment that We reconnect to the rest of the universe.

-not that hard a man to work with.

"Orange Lantern to Hinon."

"Done already?"

"Did you know that there was a giant battle station on Turi?"

"What? No? What are you talking about?"

"Sir, I request that you come here in person. You're going to want to see this."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  16. Bigking321

It WAS that easy!?!

That's... very disappointing.

I hope there is a twist or something.

Silveraith, Bolo, Mecrazyfang and 7 others like this.
  17. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

On a scale of one to a million how pissed will Hinon be when she learns all the shit that almost happened today?

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'built'.

The fact that Hinon didn't know about this hopefully means that the Controllers will consider this a big threat to their defenses. After all, they can't really claim to truly control Maltus if a planet destroying superweapon has been hiding in their system for so long, can they?

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"to want to"

20. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

At least 666,666 with only 666 of it directed at OL.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:rolleyes: Gee, are there any around here? Because I'm sure you can't really be talking about yourselves. Perhaps the captain simply has no fear in him, merely a Joy at living. Or he's simply a simpleton who can't understand things like laws. :p

And at least you are going to investigate their business dealings. I was worried you'd just let them go.

Ah, the British statement of the Right to Silence. More or less what you yankees' Miranda Rights are equivalent to. He's taking this seriously.

Play a stupid game, honey, win a painful prize. Let her enjoy her object lesson about pressing her luck.

...Does Harrow and company not really understand the situation they're in? Idiots. Lucky idiots.

Which is probably not a commonly known fact in the galaxy at large, I bet.

Still, their benefits outweighed the drawbacks. Like letting yahoos like these three travel further.

And no doubt got well-paid for that, I bet.

Draan Del Daar was not one of his people. Merely an associate. There is a distinction between the things.

Swindling people and stealing dangerous artefacts is hard work? Sheesh.

Oh, don't be sour, Kalmin. Not everyone has your high standards for their weaponry. :D

...Though he would like them alive by the end of all this, intact is optional.

Yeah, best to make sure any being with the power of a Maltusian isn't suffering from any mental issues.

"Just about there, Sweetie. Just another couple of hits." Hopefully once it's complete, it won't leak quite so much.

At least it won't forcefully replace the wearer's heart.

A pity the symbol of the Red Light isn't more like a giant middle finger, but I doubt that would have been as marketable. :p

...How about dealing with your face first? That can't feel pleasant.

His soul is a steady dripfeed of Rage, OL. I don't think he's gonna need anything else.

And depending on how you look at it, the White Light and the Source are the same thing. So charging won't be an issue.

"I'm not happy with this situation, but trying to get him to listen to me in this state..."

Heh. I rather do picture it as having been sullenly watching them in its half-asleep state, waiting for them to try to get a leash on it...

"And better under our control than someone else's."

I doubt it would be that easy... o_O

And it escapes him that Hal Jordan still has Abin Sur's original ring, with its logs and files still in place. :rolleyes: Proof the Renegade is a bit smarter in that respect...

Well, that didn't take Orion long. I was expecting it to be noisier.

Brace yourself, Granny. You may want to sit down for this.

...If nothing else, what's left of Draan could qualify as a nice example of modern art? Adam Smasher would approve. :p

And so it ends with a whimper, rather than a bang. One Red Ring forged, one maltusian turned into chunky salsa for his crimes, and one planetary threat defused. Though I can imagine there being a few arguments to come about the ownership of Erdammeru. And quite a bit of unamused snark from Orange Granny when she finds out about all this...

Double Space.
    ... and given that Draan Del Daar was planning ...

22. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Hinon's current status: What did that idiot do THIS time?

Hinon's status ten minutes from now: [Externally Screaming]

23. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Zero, because Hinon is so old she has to fake her emotions just to function around lesser beings. She'll act pissed, but she won't actually be pissed.

24. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Pretty disappointed with the end of this, not gonna lie. It was interesting when they were going to the other planets, searching for the Butcher's traces. And then the expected/unexpected betrayal was cool.

But after that? It really did end with a whimper. As anti-climactic as it can get. And I don't think I really understood what was Draan's plan or how he was defeated as easily as it appeared. Not sure I even want to know.

25. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Ah. So that's how you're going to defeat Darksied.
    Using the Void Hound.

My favorite solution to the problem of Apokolips so far.

Overwhelming force.

26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

You thought that was easy?

boo600 and moralrelativity like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, does that mean that the Reach are already aware of Erdammeru? Or will your note about one of the Reach's scouts learning of it and then hightailing it out of there as fast as they can no longer going to happen?

moralrelativity likes this.
  28. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

His plan, as I see it, was to get angry, control Erdammeru with that anger, use it to destroy Maltus or die trying, and then presumably go on a killing spree until someone strong enough to kill him turned up. He was defeated seemingly through a combination of him being suicidal and greatly weakened by taking the anger from Orion/Orion taking the anger back, and due to Orion being very strong (I’m not sure if he’s comparable in strength to other Entity fusions, given that this was said to be a ‘minor’ appearance, but if he is that strong then it seems credible that he could overpower a weakened Maltusian).

But even with that, it’s a pretty pathetic way for a billion+ year old superintelligence to die. You’d think he’d have planned for this possibility. Maybe he actually didn’t really want to destroy Maltus, but just wanted to experience anger and die, so he made credible threats to bait them into killing him?

29. Bigking321

I mean... yeah? Kinda?

The big bad of the arc reveals themselves. Everything went according to their plan. They have all the power.

Gets chopped to pieces the next time we see him and there are no consequences to what he did except that they have the red ring now and Orion is even angrier.

30. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

I really hope we get to see her reaction. I’m quite looking forward to it!

Vorian likes this.