1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Brainwasher-Boy

Brainwasher-Boy Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

I see what you mean. There's gotta be something we're not seeing coming, a second shoe still waiting to drop. Maybe Hinon will find something when she takes a look?

If not, oh well. Not every arc is going to be some crazy struggle. The baddie was a Maltusian, sure, but OL had one of the strongest New Gods and one of the smartest Weaponers. Paul is established as being highly competent outside of certain social settings, and even Jade managed to pull some weight at the end. Sometimes the "good guys" just curb stomp the bad guys.

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

nod -> nods

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Soo.... Did only I notice that Orion basically said he's going on a warpath against Paul once Darkseid is dead?

I feel like that should be a concern...

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  5. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat What is the process of giving a ring an AI like? Or specific programming limitations and such?

6. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Hate that it doesn't have one.
    Want it to have one.
    Fear failure without one.
    Will there to be one.
    Hope you can make one.
    Feel for those you could help with one.
    Love it like your own.

7. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

He already has broken pieces of a ring he can't do anything with that. Also, I know Ganthet said it would be hard to make the colors after bonding, but it was possible heck he and girlfriend make the blue lantern corps in the comics right?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  8. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sir? I thought Hinon was Grandmotherly not Grandfatherly?

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well they have to come up with a plan on how to steal the thing they want, then they have to somehow contain the dangerous thing.

The art lover becomes art.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  10. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

If this were an actual comic book series, the next time Draan showed up he'd say something like, "I'm a billion+ year old superintelligence, do you think I didn't plan for the possibility?" And then it was be revealed that he actually transmitted his consciousness into Jade's Darkstar exosuit through the connection Kalmin opened at the last possible moment or something like that.

boo600, Bramble Thorn and Duke Long like this.
  11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Ohh, Draan kept that museum project running in hopes of reigniting his passion/anger! Of course, that makes his attempts to aim his anger at Maltus instead of the Reach even more infuriating... But if he was aimed at a shared foe, then he'd be our Red Lantern instead of Orion.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Bramble Thorn and Ngamer11 like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I was honestly wondering why he'd want to destroy Maltus, but now I think I have a clue.

He hated them.

When he talked about Hinon and her false personality his speech was red.

This is a person that's lost a fundamental part of themself and wants it back, but he's surrounded by beings that have seemingly discarded pieces of themselves willingly, so he dislikes them and when he gets his rage back, he hates them.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You remember wrong.

The Syndicate and League beat it because they had a weapon which destroyed it's guiding mind and it started collapsing after that.

And it's quite good at blowing up solarsystems not planets.

14. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Anticlimax is how we resolve things 'round here parts.

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Like normal AI programming, only instead of C++ you're using people's emotion.
    Yes, but between making Kyle's ring and making his own, how much green light did Ganthet use?
    Blame Star Trek.
    Yes, in this one instance I'll say that he's only comic book dead.

boo600, Vorian, thebishop8 and 8 others like this.
  16. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Good good good. He was pretty interesting. I'd be glad to have him show up again.

Duke Long likes this.
  17. Bolo

Bolo Know what you're doing yet?

At this point I would hope that more people in the know would be getting a full detailed briefing on what happened cause again it’s the stuff you didn’t bother to check almost killed everyone.

18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

*checks date of policy before posting* 1994? In that case, that is... distinctly different from the analogous warning in my home country.

Missing full stop.

19. NightmareWarden

You'll say that again if Trigon gets a few arcs. It isn't like any of his sons or his daughter could live up to his hype. Although tossing him into the Bleed or trapping him in the source wall could be fun.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Trigon's too powerful, so like the others in that tier Mr Zoat is unlikely to include them in this story as a playable character.

21. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

"Sir" is knighthood title that got converted into social rank and then was adopted later as a way to address a superior officer.

She is his superior officer.

boo600, Vorian and Prince Charon like this.
  22. Threadmarks: Butcher's Blood (part 27)
    Mr Zoat

21st January 2013
    18:55 GMT

I watch as a team of Controllers carefully remove the rock of Turi from around Erdammeru.

"How do you manage it?"

"
    How did they manage it. I understand that you were in a coma, but that thing must have been put there while the other Controllers were on Maltus."

"No, Maltus was abandoned when this happened. And even we didn't think to check Turi in any detail when we thought that we knew everything there was to know about it."

"
    Any idea how Draan Del Daar found out?"

"Given that Orion reduced his mortal vessel to pâté, that will be somewhat difficult to decipher. Even our abilities have limits."

"
    I didn't mean 'can you ask him now', I meant 'can you guess based on his history'. Or-. 'Somewhat difficult'?"

"One of us will attempt to connect to his symbiotes. That… Might give us a better idea. Though I doubt it."

"
    And what about Erdammeru?"

"I don't intend to try to interrogate that. It's a spacecraft, and therefore it's a problem for the Head of L.E.G.I.O.N.."

"
    Draan said that it was made by the Anti-Monitor."

"The Anti-Monitor made a great many weapons. I'm far less concerned by this than I was by his armour; this doesn't imply that he might have survived."

I nod, then frown. "Draan said that rings work best when their user makes them."

"If both the user and the prospective alternate ring-founder are of the same skill level. You have some way to go before you can equal me."

"
    Orion hadn't even touched a power ring before; how could he be Draan's equal in skill?"

"Draan hadn't felt rage in millions of years. It's not just familiarity with the mechanical process of ring-forging. You have to be familiar with the emotion as well."

"
    Ah." I nod. "I don't suppose that there are any unaligned maltusians who know a lot about compassion, are there?"

"It doesn't seem very likely. You remember what we did to the psions."

"
    Y-? I'd been assuming that they weren't intelligent at the time."

"They weren't as intelligent as us. But they were more intelligent than the laboratory mice humans use for their tests."

I take a small sealed container out of subspace and open it, looking inside at the broken fragments of half an indigo power ring. Decidedly inactive fragments. I tried putting it near to compassionate people or me when I was being compassionate, but it's… Broken.

"Is that what you got from the Berrith?"

"
    Yes. Can you tell who made it?"

She pulls it over to her and shakes the contents out onto her left palm.

"Not one of us. And almost certainly not a qwardian."

"
    Kalmin made a blue ring."

"An act that very nearly made me feel a profoundly disquieting philosophical uncertainty, even at my age."

"
    Actual philosophical uncertainly, or shell personality-."

"The former."

"
    Gosh. If that happens enough, would you have a heart attack? Because I think Kalmin would probably go for that."

"No."
    She takes a closer look at the fragments. "I don't recognise the species. Something that reached sophoncy while I was comatose, then. And… Yes, I think that they had direct contact with the Proselyte. Indirect contact, certainly."

She waves her right hand, and the pieces try to reassemble themselves. They make up most of the left side of the ring, and slightly more than their fair share of the boss.

"The workmanship is excellent; certainly better than anything you've managed."

I roll my eyes.

"That's all I can say, really." She manually slides the fragments back into the container before resealing it. "If you took it to one of the other two potential ring-forgers, they may-."

"
    I.. think I'll… Give them both a miss."

"You can learn."

She passes the container back to me, and I return it to subspace. So… What now? There isn't much point in me heading back to Earth until I get hold of a yellow ring, and I doubt that Lysis is making me her top priority.

"I don't suppose that there's a big pile of Proselyte blood somewhere?"

"That may be where that ring came from."

"
    Do you know where that is? Or someone else I could ask?"

"Draan Del Daar would be the man to ask about that. Or you could try the Guardians."

"
    I will. Any advice on Orion?"

"I understand what you intend. If it works, the white light should restore him."
    She shakes her head. "If it doesn't, then it can't be done and there's no sense worrying about it."

"
    I suppose that's right." I nod. "Okay, I'm going to clock off. Spend some time with Jade while we're both unassigned. Contact me-."

"There is one other thing."

"
    Yes?"

"I spoke to Sayd concerning… Various matters. She asked me to relay her gratitude concerning Volkreg and Azmah. You handled both situations well."

"
    Ah. Well, it's nice to be appreciated."

"Is that the sort of thing you see yourself doing after the war?"

"
    I think I'd like to. That, and tourism. How about you?"

"Once the Reach are destroyed I'm not sure that I have anything left to live for."

"
    What?"

"I'll have proved my point. Done everything that I set out to do. Oh, I won't kill myself if that's what you're worried about. Inertia will keep me going, as it does for the Guardians. But it would be wrong to say that I have something to reach for."

I look at her for a moment, then float closer and hug her for a moment.

When I release her, she looks mildly offended.

"Please, never do that again."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  23. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Damn it, Paul! You might convince her to kill herself if she is convinced that you will hug her more often!

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"when we thought"

The speech should be orange.

And it may summon Nekron.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That was both sweet and funny. I wish we saw more of this from Paul.

26. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

When people are vulnerable around Paul we are very likely to get a reminder that just because his soul is mostly orange, it doesn't mean he doesn't have a substantial amount of indigo.

Also The Butcher's version of "YOU CANNOT USE MY LIGHT!" is probably "HOW DARE YOU USE MY LIGHT!" right?

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... The guiding intelligence that once awoken can run things without a linked captain just disappeared?

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. NightmareWarden

Ooohh, she said please. She might carbonize some of Paul’s skin next time he does that.

Next time she needs comforting, Paul should make her give go-kart racing a go. It seems to be a beloved sport on Oa after all- she could go pro! And Mother of Mercy could make custom tracks!

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It seems to be an innate talent. Possibly also an inane one, given the sheer frequency that he manages to get into these sort of situations. If Narrative Causality were a better understood thing in this universe, she might well say he has strong Protagonist energy. :p

So because it didn't look any different, they just assumed nothing changed. If not for their phenomenal cosmic power, I'd be amazed they ever evolved. :rolleyes:

...So, necromancy won't help in this situation, then.

I mean, it's not like they'd keep a nice, itemised timeline of his entire existence...

Well, that's going to be something that unfortunate will have to hash out with Orion later.

I mean, the chuck of armour might have been an old piece lost during the fighting of the Crisis... Still, better safe than sorry. Or eradicated from existence.

Joy of focusing on the combat and social Spectrum skill trees rather than the item creation one.

Ah. And I doubt Draan was as intimately familiar with rage after so long, compared to Orion's constant struggles.

It probably wouldn't even have been that long ago, by the standards of their lifespans...

To be fair, there aren't many races as intelligent as Maltusians. Coluans come close...

Well, now you've got her attention, I see.

I mean, it's not like each Ring maker signs their work...

A definite break from type, certainly, though I'm pretty sure he did it just for the challenge.

Since there is a significant difference in magnitude. :p

Please, OL. Don't try to taunt Kalmin into making more Blue Rings just to give Maltusians heart attacks.

Well, Nok hasn't really been well-glimpsed in the comics... But there had to have been some native species, given their distinct, and untranslatable, language. Heck, I saw more of it in the third Lego Batman game than I ever remember from the comics.

Now, now. Don't discourage the toddler by making fun of his work...

Ha! Yeah, probably a good idea. Though don't forget your idea about mental health checks for them, OL.

There might be crystals or something? I don't know...

Since I doubt the name Nok would mean anything to her. After her time, after all.

Besides 'tread lightly?'

Chances of actually getting any rest: Low.

...Told you. :D

Given he's effectively cleaning up one Lantern's mess and heading a potential disaster for her successors? Not surprised.

...So, an eternal busman's holiday.

Ooh. death flag raised?

...You could always find something new to do?

I bet she's just a little embarrassed that she liked that. x3

Heh. Embarrassing Orange Granny by showing human affection towards her? Just another day's work for OL. And OL still missing the possibility of tracking down the Indigo Tribe via Abin Sur's movements. He's going to have such an 'I'm an imbecile' moment when he realises it. Safe to say this episode has wound down, then. Wonder what tomorrow will bring...