1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’public’

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    You can have pants if you want?
    From A Young Girl's War Record, because I like to think that I've established my purist credentials by now.
    I don't question other peoples' fetishes.

3. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

… AHAHAHAHAHA!
    The perfect daughter for Baul the Villain. She will doubtless make her parents proud. Disturbed, but proud.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Welp... They better get on making another kid... Because she's doomed...

boo600 and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:rolleyes: I was quoting an old classic meme... (Badly.)
    "Solomon Grundy want pants too!"

6. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Better than the ponies and far more simple to follow along. I approve greatly.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  7. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

An award ceremony where everyone shows up in person is an impressive show of strength... but it also seems like an amazing target for their enemies. A bombing or missile strike or something just seems obvious. Of course, that might just be part of the fun.

Also... if they have any awards specific to the mad scientists and inventors of the group, they might want to be careful with the category guidelines...

8. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

*Just remembers*
    Mr Zoat
    Do you still have the link for that? I lost it about half way thru.

9. Mr Zoat

Sigh.

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Ah so Baul ended as Tanya's daddy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks!

Cuchulin and CTrees like this.
  12. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Isn't she also a major war criminal of the same magnitude as Heydrich, Kaltenbrunner or Mengele? I haven't read it but thats the impression ive gotten from reading discussions about TtE?

Cuchulin and Vaermina like this.
  13. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

She's done a miniscule quantity of trolling from time to time.

Technically she has an excuse for everything (I think?) but if she went to a court that actually cared over it Tanya would 100% be officially convicted as a war criminal.

14. megamiaouh

megamiaouh Not too sore, are you?

Not really, her most immoral act was leveling a city, but that's wasn't her decision and it came about because the city was rebelling thanks to enemy soldiers helping and arming their sympathisants, so you have uniformed soldiers hiding in a city full of civilians some of which are non-uniformed rebel fighters, it was a mess that the ennemies though would bog down her faction with urban combat, instead they used the fact that some of the population was armed and fighting to classify everybody in the city a combatant if they didn't leave after declaring an evacuation order, then they burned the city to the ground. The ennemies somehow were surprised and appalled by this even though they were literally using human shields, so you know it's all different shades of gray like in OTL WW1.

And even then she was a Major at the time, it's not like she could refuse to do it, sure it was her theoretical paper about war time law she submitted at the war college that led to this loophole but like most of her theoretical work (besides the one about ressource management) she really didn't want to do it herself, she's not really a bloodthirsty monster so much as she's someone who when in over her head always charges forward or tries to project the image she thinks people expect of her, it doesn't help she's often doping herself in combat, but then again WWs were full of 'better combat trough chemistry' so she's not alone in this.

15. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Depends on who runs the trial.

Tanya's generally operating well within the letter of the law, though certainly not the spirit.

The big incidents I can remember were the attack on the Dacian Capital's Arms manufacturer, Arene, and I believe her attack on Moskva.

With the Dacian one, prior to her attack on the Arms factory, she did give a warning as stipulated in the international rules of war. She just did so in a cutesy voice as befitting her being a preteen girl that no one took seriously.

With Arene, it's the kind of super complicated bullshit that gets the rules rewritten to account for it. Arene was a Not!French city that Not!Germany was occupying. Both Not!British and Not!French soldiers were present and supporting an armed uprising by the civilians and hiding amongst them, all for the explicit purpose of bogging down Not!Germany in urban warfare. Back in War College, Tanya had written a report pointing out how this kind of scenario could happen and the loop holes that could be exploited in response.

The intent was "Yo, you should get these rules patched" but when it actually happened, her superiors took it as "How to cut Gordian Knots."

In any event, by the time Tanya came to Arene, the civilians were doing shit like straight up executing PoWs and declaring that there were no Imperial citizens only free people of Arene when Not!Germany demanded they release their captives.

This ended poorly.

For Arene, the war criminal is basically whoever loses the war.

As for Moskva, IIRC it's kinda fuzzy on where exactly it stands in terms of legitimate military targets but it was amazingly bad manners to blow up their government headquarters, knock down the statue of Not!Stalin, plant Not!Germany's flag, and then film a short propaganda movie involving doing fly overs of Not!Russia's capital and singing the Not!Germany National Anthem on the smoldering remains of their headquarters.

I believe Tanya's exact words prior to said attack was "Fuck 'em, they're commies."

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

She could very much have refused to do it.

There would have just been personal consequences to doing so.

kerleth likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

The joke is that the writer is a Japanese communist. People aren't supposed to root for Tanya.

Wheenesss, kerleth, w34v3r and 10 others like this.
  18. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm slightly more concerned at the logic of nesting of an isekai within, well what is effectively a multiversal isekai.

Baul has the same 'woke up in a DC universe from Earth Prime' start as all the others. Now his 'kid' is also a reincarnated Japanese Salaryman / Flying Magical Murder NOT!German. To be fair this amount of rage in a child is something I'd expect to see more in Raul and Blackfire's offspring.....wonder if that kid will have similar reincarnation strangeness.

Are there Other OC / Insert characters running around that we just haven't seen or noticed? Because once you let that cat out of the bag I half expect to see Jenny walk past in a crowd scene.

EDIT:

Oh right....I guess I can ask if this soul happened to have suffered the Isekai Quartet universe on its way here? Because 'oh right I ran into this giant skelly necromancer and a few 'hero's' from Earth too!' May have Baul, and the rest of us, even more confused.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  19. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  20. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Start drinking his fake-alcohol wheat-juice out of the skull of whoever was last executed by a syndicate government(for reasons that he'd actually approve of them being executed)?
    Maybe that's more of an Al Scott move.
    Or make a bunch of vaguely military displays of goons in menacing unforms? Perhaps parading or guarding in formation?

Helps to convince the Made Men that they're just transitioning away from criminal villainy towards warlord villainy.
    It begins to occur to me that Being X is a decent way to set up a version of God that's evil, to go with the inverted moral alignment that goes with negative number universes.
    But what happens with the demons in an inverted universe? Are they all still actively malevolent, or just tormented/cursed?
    We already saw a fallen angel.

21. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Home Field

4th February 2013
    11:37 GMT -7

"Hey, man."

I sit down next to the dude laying in the street. That's something Wonder Woman tol' me to do. Makes it so I'm not tower… Ah, taller than them. Less scary.

"H-hey."

"Y'all plannin' on hol'en up traffic all day?"

Ain't a lotta cars 'round. Spent a couple days pullin' cars outta the road so's trucks and ambulances could get through back when this whole mess started. People ain't drivin', 'cept when they got to.

Sometimes, they don't go fer a drive when they got to. Wonder Woman don't like us gettin' those jobs so much. I tol' her we can handle it, but, ah… She said robot-atom's little robots can deal with jobs like that. She needs us fer actually talkin' to people.

"Ah 'unno. Can't think of no reason t'move."

And she says that's it. I used to think there was… I dunno, not, like, magic words… Just stuff a smart guy could say to… Like, encourage someone. Like Doc Quinzel did with us. But it turns out jus' talking to someone does nearly the same thing.

And that'll have to do, 'cause I sure as s-sugar ain't going back to school.

I don't know what set this guy off. More guys do this stuff like this than girls. When they get real bad, they don't leave the house at all.

I don't know what this guy needs to hear, neither. But if all I gotta do is talk? I can do that.

"Don't look comfy. It's all gritty and dusty."

"That it is. Ah jus' don't think those things matter none."

"Sure they do. Who wants to do laundry more than they gotta?"

"Heh."

That wasn't no happy kinda laugh, but it's… He's responding. He heard what I said and he said something back.

"What's it to you, anyways?"

"Ah'm working for Wonder Woman. Y'all layin' here makes me look bad."

"That all it is, huh?"

"Sure. 'cause if'n ah do a real good job, maybe ah'll get a kiss out of it."

"Fer real?"

I shrug. "Can't hurt tryin', right?"

Ain't going to happen. She ain't been with a guy in a hundred years, and she treats me like Doc Sivana does. Older Doc Sivana. The woman one, not the little scary guy. She told me to call her 'Venus' and I didn't think that was right, but maybe it's the only way to talk without getting confused the whole time?

Don't rightly know how I feel about it. Got two ladies who want to be my Maw, and they're both better than the real one. Nice when they're doing it, but…

"Guys done dumber before."

"So ah jus' gotta beat those guys, an' I'm set. C'm'on, man." I hold out my right hand. "Where you live? Ah'll take y'all home."

"We lost, didn't we?"

"Ah. Ah don't really keep up with football…"

"You people. Superheroes. That why everyone feels lakh they whole family up an' died."

"Thanks! Ah ain't never been called a superhero 'fore."

Especially around these parts. 'Don't shit where you sleep' sure is good advice, and my life would have worked out better if I'd gotten it earlier. There's a few places I don't really want to go right now because… I don't want to think 'old me' and 'new me', because that's…

What did Doc Quinzel call it..?

Thinking like that stuff was done by someone else. When it wasn't. It was me. Me deciding I don't want to be like that no more don't mean that I wasn't back then. And I know I don't do that stuff no more, but plenty of people don't.

"So what's with the get-up?"

I look down at my shirt. The Anti-Life folks got alla the equipment that was stored in Belle Reve for the prisoners, and we didn't stick around to get our normal clothes back. So the guys who needed equipment got given old versions of their stuff the Justice League had in storage. I got some clothes that the old Doctor Fate had in his trunk. Don't got no idea who owned them. Fate was, like, two thirds my size when he was a hero. And I don't know who picked this stuff, because the round collar jackets make me feel Chinese, and then there's the decoration. It's sewn on and not printed. Whoever made it used gold-coloured thread to make the pictures and it must have taken ages. Looks good, though. But I don't think it's really me.

"Thrift store. Only thing they had that fit me. Guess they had some Chinese strongman who needed cash real quick."

"Got their address?"

He looks at me for a little while, then he reaches out to take my hand and I pull him upright.

"Yeah man, but it's in Massachusetts."

"Oh. Don't worry, then."

"So where'd you live?"

"I-I can make it on mah own. I jus'…"

I try looking like I got sympathy, like I want to know what's got him so down. But this isn't the first time I've dealt with someone doing this. I get a couple a day, every day since the Justice League started sending me out. I can make like I care -and it's not like I want bad things to happen to him or nothing- but I can't make me actually care. I ain't good at it. Can only manage a fistful of people right now.

"What's happ'ning, man?"

"Is this it? Are we doomed? I thought the Justice League would git 'er done in a few days, but..?"

He sighs real heavy.

The truth is… I think Batman's making things up as he goes. And I get it. No one knows how we should deal with this. They don't tell me much about what's going on, but I see how many people are killing themselves. And how many are just doing what Mannheim tells them to, or doing what one of the city bosses tells them to. Just about everyone on Mannheim's side is hostage, and… I don't want to kill them. Even if it would make things a whole lot more simple. So all we can do is destroy their Anti-Life radio things and fight them when they try to take a new town. And run away when F…

Big evil robot dude, shows up. And that sucks. But even I know you can't just tell folks that. Or they just give up.

"Yeah, this whole thing sucks real bad. It's gonna take a whole lotta work to get things straightened out. But a lotta people thought the world was ending when the Sheeda attacked, and we still beat them, right?"

"Yeah."

"So we gotta tough it out. Gotta remember that even if it feels bad now, we're gonna get there in the end. Ah." I shake my head, because I got this speech from a real good speaker and when I do it, it just sounds dumb. "Superman does this better than me. But we're gonna win. You'll see."

"O-okay. Thanks… Thanks, man. Hey, what's yer name, anyhow?"

"Tommy. Tommy T-. Beresford."

"I dunno, man. That ain't exactly Superman, y'hear me? Maybe you should work on it some maw."

"What y'all think ah'm doin' here?"

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's nice to see Tommy helping people.

Hopefully they get rid of Anti-Life in this episode.

The title makes me think that it will involve that, or at least we'll see what the people of earth have been up to.

23. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Tommy doing some good work here.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Or is this a typo?

It's nice to see Tommy acting like a hero. I hope he gets to talk with Paul about this so that Paul can talk to more of his friends and relax.

Sockmonkey, Ardy, Wheenesss and 2 others like this.
  25. Aabcehmu

Aabcehmu Confusion As a Natural State of Being

'Get her done' is vernacular in some parts of the US, and maybe other places. It doesn't sound out of place to me given this guy's accent.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

LePaul is incapable of relaxing, because relaxing involves not wanting things and just being.

Sojiko likes this.
  27. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

"Git 'er done" is a pretty famous redneck-esque saying.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  28. Splinterface

Splinterface Getting sticky.

Usually only follow the archive thread, but I just came over here to say that I absolutely loved this most recent chapter (the Tommy Terror/Beresford if anyone is reading through this thread later)!

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, A look at Earth again? Hopefully surviving better than it would have thanks to the League and other local heroes providing leadership. And I'm guessing we're seeing one of those local heroes. Wonder if that'll be a theme for this episode?

I mean, depending on the temperament of the local drivers, a person laying in the road might not even get a look.

And most of them don't go too far when they do?

Ah, yes. Keeping the young ones from the bad cases. The people who just lay down in bed, and... Stopped.

Sometimes, as we saw, all it takes is nudging someone into an emotional response to throw off the Anti-Life.

I'd say offer him a beer and a sympathetic ear to talk to, but you're still underage.

Not joking, either. Roads are fricking pebbly. Ever tried to cross black-top barefoot?

Ah, typical guys.

Well, someone's got to worry about folks, with what's going on.

Heh, taking the adversarial approach, huh? Make him get up just to spite you? Anger is a valid emotional response, after all.

Hey, if it works, it works.

I can imagine things getting confusing in that sort of formal discussion.

Indeed, guys do some dumb things in the pursuit of pretty ladies.

Humanity doesn't lose as long as one person's still fighting, man.

Man, imagine trying to keep up sports seasons under these conditions. A losing team's fans would just gloom up and flop.

But the folks there remember when you went around in a sleeveless T and suspenders, busting up local banks?

Hopefully he's wearing something better than his canon getups.

Huh. I can kind of picture it. Like a nehru jacket?

At least he can make jokes. Looks like the guy's starting to feel better.

Bit of a trip. And I doubt they can do mail-order. :p

Besides the middle of the street?

Like I said: Get him a drink and a sympathetic ear. There's bound to be a soda joint around there somewhere.

...Larry? Larry the Cable Guy? Is that you? :p

Things are that bad, huh?

Admittedly, the Sheeda were an enemy you could fight, once you found them...

Still, say them with enough earnestness, and they can work.

See? He's out of his funk.

I suppose something like 'Tommy Terrific' would be too cheesy.

Well, at least the 'heroes taking charge' plan is having some results. Not nearly as much as hoped for, but Humanity is still holding out. And once OL gets his hands on that last ring, things will get sorted out swiftly, I suspect. Still, it's up in the air if he'll manage it. And perhaps some of those villains trying to help out will find that just maybe, being good is a bit better than their usual habits...

Spent a couple days pullin' cars outta the road...
    That's why everyone feels lakh they whole family up an' died."
    Especially around these parts. (Unless that's part of his 'hick' accent?)
    He looks at me for a little while...

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 13 others like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt a kit if bartenders will care.

Any emotion is valid in this case.