1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Tommy Turbine or Tommy Turbo would work better, both indicate power. Also Tom Turbine was something of a Superman analog.

2. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’sure as s-sugar’?

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    That one's intentional.

4. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

In spite of the dire circumstances this made me smile. You've made quite a few of the villains that Paul rehabilitates into flawed but genuinely likeable characters.

kerleth, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  5. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

A true success story that one.

Anyone got a reference for the clothing? ‘Chinese strongman’ isn’t ringing any bells.

6. Mr Zoat

No, it was just the only thing they could find in the Tower of Fate that fit him.

7. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

Idiomatic for accomplishing or completing just about anything in much of rural America. Might be more familiar as "git 'er done".

kerleth likes this.
  8. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I still don't quite get how the Anti-Life broadcast on Earth works and how people become resistant to it. Like Tommy here. Not one of his thoughts were black. Why is he virtually immune instead of merely fighting against it and overcoming?

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

He spends most of his time in a shielded area, and receives constant positive reinforcement.

10. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

Lantern Ratchet: Welcome to Costco, I love you.

But seriously, glad to see Tommy back. He's one of best projects Paul has worked on. I would not be surprised to see him become a Blue Lantern under Alan by the end of the story.

11. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I had been wondering what had been happening on earth.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  12. Threadmarks: Lantern Conspiracies (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

27th August 1999
    7:23 GMT

"Will ye no' sit down?"

The… Short alien gestures to the human-scale chair opposite him as he takes a sip from his teacup. The table between us is similarly sized for humans, meaning that he's sitting on a wooden highchair.

I… Take a look around the interior of his home. It looks like… Like a country cottage from a century ago. A bookshelf covered in traditionally-bound books, heavy wooden furniture rather than modern chipboard flat packed stuff and… Jars of preserves.

It's not what I was expecting.

"Did ye drop something?"

"No. Ah. Sir?"

This isn't how I thought this would… I give him an awkward smile and sit down in the chair. There's a slight hiss of escaping air as the padding deflates and my weight pushes gas out through the seams in the leather.

"Last time I checked, aye. So. What does the Triarchy want wi' the likes o'me?"

I stare at him for a moment, and he stares back.

"Sir?"

"Is there some communication problem we be having?"

"Sir, I just appeared in orbit with this ring. And then I asked it to take me to…" I gesture to him with both hands. "I… Don’t know what the… Triarchy? Is?"

"Is that so? Hah!" He looks away for a moment. "And here's me thinking they'd tracked me down, begorrah!"

That… Doesn't… Sound good. Um.

"Should..? They be tracking you down?"

"I don't see why they would. I like the simple life. And they don't. But sometimes they can't keep themselves to themselves and they stick their noses in for the sake o' it."

"Ah. No. I'm here for purely selfish reasons."

"Oh? Well. I suppose I am too, when you get down to it. So what'll ye be wanting?"

"I-deally, a personal lantern."

"And what might one o'them be?"

Oh.

"The charge unit? That goes with the ring?"

"I don't know anything about anything like that. Back when I left, those rings were for the weans, no' for aliens."

"For what?"

"Children. So I don't really understand how you got a hold of it."

"I would be happy to cooperate with you in investigating that." I sigh. "So you can't recharge it."

"Recharge it? O' course I can recharge it. Let me see, now."

He closes his eyes for a moment and mutters something in a language I don't understand. The green power ring on my finger can translate just about any language, but I turned everything off the moment I realised that I had no way to recharge it once I ran out of power.

"There we are."

A pale green glow envelops his right hand, and a moment later the ring starts glowing the same colour.

"It'll take a moment or two."

"Ah. Thank you, but… Ah."

"You'll be needing to be a little clearer than that."

"I… Sort of assumed that either you wanted me for something, or I could negotiate for a way to recharge with… With something I could carry with me. It doesn't seem… I mean, it isn't reasonable for me to expect you to just drop whatever you're doing when I get low on power."

"A lot o' that going around."

"A lot of..? What?"

"Assuming. So what were you thinking I was wanting?"

"To… Recruit me to the Green Lantern Corps. For some reason."

"And what would that be?"

"I'd… I'd like to say 'my fearlessness and resolution', but… I don't… I don't think I really stand out in either of those…"

"Ah, no. I mean to say, 'what is the Green Lantern Corps', when it's at home?"

"I'm a little surprised that you don't know."

"I moved away from the rest o'mah kind when we still lived on Maltus. I don't know much about what the rest o'them have been doing since."

"Ah. Well, as far as I know, they've taken to outsourcing some things to people like me." I raise my right hand slightly, drawing attention to the ring. "We get these, and a lantern-shaped charge point."

"Lantern-shaped, y'say? I'm not used to the rest o' my kind respecting our traditions like that. Do you know where it comes from?"

"A lantern is the traditional symbol for law enforcement amongst your people."

"It was a long time ago, when we still had a need for such things. So is that the sort o'work you'd be looking for, then?"

"It's-. What I assumed-. Yes? If that's what you want in exchange for recharging me. But if I'm honest, I'd rather have a charge point and be left to my own devices."

"Well, I don't really know about that. As I say, when I left, we didn't go around handing them out to folk. And I haven't done anything with the glow meself for a long time. But if you're looking fo' work, I might have something for ye."

"… Yes..?"

"What sorta work did you do before this?"

"I'm-. I was an administrative assistant."

"Oh." He frowns. "It's nothing at all like that."

"I don't need a power ring to be an administrative assistant."

"True enough. You see, I'm not the only alien on this world."

"I suspected, but didn't want to assume."

"I've been trying to keep an eye on the others. They're not all the sociable type, you understand. But I'm not so young as I was, and from the feel of it that ring o'yers can pack quite a punch."

"So you want me to..? Police them?"

"Something like that, lad. Why don't I bring you up to speed, so's you know what you're getting into."

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I am very curious as to the state of this Earth and what this version of the SI will be doing on it.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The title makes me think that this may be the Inviolate universe.

15. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Ok this is a cool alt Paul would love to see more of him

MasterG, Wheenesss, Cool10007 and 4 others like this.
  16. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oooooh, this is gonna be good. A Stubborn police Paul enforcing decency and common sense onto DC?

Obviously its going to blow up in his face. But I'm sure he'll harness those explosions to propel himself to success.

Does that mean this will be a Righteous Face Punching Paul?

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, one of the fabled Maltusian Leprechauns. Something we haven't seen in the main story yet. Presumably they've been keeping their heads down, even during the Anti-Life outbreak. But who is this visiting him?

Sounds very old-fashioned. The fellow likes it homey.

...Going by the very British politeness, this is a Paul. One fresh from the dimensional shunt, by the sounds of it.

And evidently he didn't adjust his personal appearance, so he's still carrying a little extra mass.

...Boy, this is awkward, isn't it? :oops:

...And evidently this is closer to a main-line DC universe, given the lack of information this Paul has. Unless Mr Zoat had never heard of the Triarch before beginning the story...

Well, Percy does like playing the part, doesn't he? Not surprising, the Irishman stereotype is a pleasant role which puts people at ease. Much like Hinon's 'stern granny' act.

Yeah, that sums up the Guardians quite well. Sometimes to excess.

And from the sound of it, he probably does have an Orange Ring.

Yeah, that's how long ago the Leprechauns split off back in the day.

He does at least recognise a Ring, right?

Well, good on that front, at least.

Wonder if Percy here knew Hinon back in the day? There weren't that many Maltusians back before they split, right?

Huh. An actual Green Ring? I suppose this Paul's got plenty of stubbornness to go around, then. Even if he's generally more confused. :p

Score. Though I don't expect it's used that much charge yet.

Heh. That awkward moment before you have to ask 'so, what do you want for that?'

Very nice of you, at least. Not wanting to be tied down, I guess?

...Did this Paul get a little addled during transit, or... o_O

Usually the Ring would handle things like that. You really did get every bit of DC trivia whammied, didn't you?

Most people don't think so...

He's been out of the loop for a long time, m'boy.

It does sound a little silly when you say it, doesn't it?

Okay, so not all of the DC knowledge is gone, obviously.

Which raises the question of what the superheroic community of this Earth looks like. Or if there even is one yet.

Ah. When the opportunity present itself, well...

Not much of a background for a superhero, is it?

Other Pauls certainly didn't hesitate to make use of their rings...

Hell, if he pinged all DNA above a certain level of divergence from human basic, he'd be in for a surprise.

Ah. A little bit of exposition that can be safely skipped on our part, if not Paul's.

Well, this is interesting. This might be the first proper Green Ringed Paul we've seen. Not counting the former Anti-green or the Green Lantern alt!Jade, that is. Though it sounds like he's not going to be the typical Lantern. But more importantly, what Earth is this going to turn out to be that he's on? I mean, we haven't seen a 'Smallville' Alternate yet. Or a 'Lois and Clark' one... :confused: So many unused alternate media continuities.

18. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

If Zoat wants a politics flame war this could be Red Son.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Considering Percival is a Maltusian Leprechaun, and the title, I'm wondering if this Greenie Paul is on the world of Roswell Conspiracies.

A cartoon in which aliens live among us, and are responsible for all those legends like banshees and vampires etc.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily.

It could just be the chair.

To be fair, the Triarchs aren't that big characters.

Heck, he may have made the stereotype in the first place.

Paul's have...a unique intelligence.

Only the knowledge about his current universe.

They come from a variety of backgrounds.

One of the first was a record keepe.

There was that Stargirl Paul.

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He started out with an orange ring. He's just borrowing Alan Scott's ring.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

No.
    Yes.
    No.
    No, fat is lighter than muscle. That's just what happens when you sit on a chair like that.

And I'm not that fat.
    Neither of them.
    No.
    And we have a winner.

I didn't get to watch the end of that series until I was in university, due to Al-Qaeda.

23. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’weans’, unless the Irish spell it differently, but I don’t think they do.

24. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Probably it's phonetic. Our good friend Percy is playing his role to the hilt after all.

And now I'm picturing a Paul on a certain Journey...

25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I've never heard of a show called Roswell Conspiracies but the setting and this Paul seem interesting can't wait to see more!

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Now that we have four ring based data points to work off of I think it's more that his mind is a lot more vulnerable to the mental effects of the various lights then a normal DC resident. Though with a lower upper end for his light induced crazy.

Because the Paul that gave up his ring was relatively normal.

Senevri likes this.
  27. Ostentatiousnessness

Ostentatiousnessness First of his name, last of his kind

I feel as confused as Paul right now.

I'm now even more confused.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'd recomend watching it.
    It got pulled from British television after the 11th of September attacks.

29. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Sure, Mister Z, whatever you say.

Anyway, this seems fresh. If you have the inspiration, I wouldn't mind a few chapters in a relatively short order.

30. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

Judging by what the leprechaun is saying, this universe seems like one where the Green Lantern Corps was never formed given what he said about power rings being for infants.

Then again he also said that he hasn’t been on Maltus in ages so the GLC could exist in this world and he just doesn’t know about them.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.