1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

I had been under the impression that the seal only interfered with entities getting in or out.

So the vulture is still in there reflecting and acting upon American culture and magic, it just can't get out, and it's hard to get in.

Also now I'm wondering what hope Kennedy is doing in this situation.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  2. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

If I'm remembering it right, Dr Mist said it would prevent a lot of 'seepage' but its not possible to completely seal them off. Kennedy said he would try and make it better but I suppose the full effects wouldn't be fully felt until the seal fully undoes itself.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

I hope Zoat is okay. It's a couple hours delay from the usual update time now.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, the lycanthrope leader had a child with his wife. She died, and the MC and his girlfriend fostered the child until they could find out where his father was. Unfortunately, lycanthropes grow up really fast and adopt a human-seeming form based on their primary care-giver, and that was the MC.

5. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

6th February 2013
    04:59 GMT -5

"Cease."

The data on the social shifts that are occurring in Anti-Life exposed populations vanishes from my screen, being replaced by the robot's face. My hands move to enter the override command without conscious thought, even as I deduce exactly how this conversation will go.

The robot is extremely predictable.

And the override doesn't work.

"Mister Atom, I need to keep working."

"Incorrect. You are time expired. The quality of your work will decrease unacceptably from this point onward. I do not have the capacity to perform my regular tasks as well as yours."

The robot isn't capable of directly interfacing with other computer systems. Apparently it's a safety feature to prevent a virus infecting it. I suspect that it's a restriction its creator implemented to prevent him taking over every online computer in the world. We had to build a special voice command system to allow it to give commands to its robot drones fast enough to matter. It can give command to twenty different sets of drones simultaneously using different pitches, but it's only got one set of eyes.

And it has no social skills at all.

I step away from the computer and walk towards the medical-.

"I have removed your stimulants. You have reached the point of diminishing returns and would undergo a dangerous crash within four days plus/minus one day."

I can't stop working. The whole world-.

The robot's face vanishes from the monitor, and is replaced by… Bats. Bats hanging off zoo keepers who are stroking their heads.

"I chose the bat because it scared me as a child, not because I find them aesthetically appealing."

"I understand. You hate yourself and so identify with an unappealing animal."

The bat pictures are replaced with pictures of puppies. Pet owners have proven to be slightly more resistant to the effects of Anti-Life than people who don't own pets, the animals buoying up their mood and giving them something to live for. The animals themselves aren't affected by Anti-Life, but just giving pets to people who don't have them doesn't work as they're too depressed to learn new skills or become emotionally attached to them.

"If you were human, I might think you were joking."

"Why did the Batman leave the cave, out of his office, up the stairs and then into the third room on the right?"

I know he's right about needing to get some sleep, because I can feel myself starting to smile.

"Because that's where his bedroom is."

"You are supposed to claim ignorance. That is the structure of the joke."

I check the time on my armour's integrated computer, and I'm sure that I can only confirm what it said because it lets me. Normally, the idea of someone -anyone- else having this degree of access to my systems would be completely unacceptable.

But we don’t have a choice.

And I'm so tired.

I walk towards the armoury and begin stripping off my armour. It's been over a week since I was in the field. It might be more efficient to stop wearing it entirely. I know perfectly well that even with J'onn and Hawkman sharing my strategic responsibilities that a lot of the time the most helpful thing I can do for the League is make sure that everyone else is in the position where they can do most good.

But I can't deny that it's galling that of all the League members it's my city that's been taken over. I had a file on Mistress before this started but there was nothing in her profile that suggested that she would respond this way to a situation like this. It's also galling how using the Anti-Life as a control system doesn't seem to produce materially worse results than preventing it from establishing itself.

I don't bother dressing. Dick's out with the team, and Alfred is still under medical sedation. Talia is probably still out in the city… Somewhere. I was concerned that exposure to the Anti-Life might cause her to revert to some of the behaviors she developed before meeting me. I should have had more faith in her.

It's a short walk through the manor to my bedroom, and I can't help but notice how empty it feels. I judged Rick to be at high risk, so he's acting as a bodyguard for Batson. No Dick, no Alfred and no Talia. Only a few years ago I considered that normal and wouldn't have particularly cared if it never changed. Now, I feel their absence.

Maybe I was just fooling myself.

I can still feel the presence of the Anti-Life. We destroyed both of Mannheim's attempts to build an Anti-Life transmitter inside Gotham, but it looks like having a sufficiently large number of people accepting it works just as well.

And that's not something we have a cure for.

I take a quick shower to try and relax. When Mistress took control of the city she still had the sense to make sure that the utilities still work. The people who work there are exempt from her… Games. Fortunately, she doesn't seem to be interested into coming far enough out of the city to visit Wayne Manor. Playing along wouldn't bother me, but it would be a frustrating distraction.

No. It's not working.

I have drugs that can knock me out when I need sleep. I developed them after Roxy Rocket dosed me with a stolen amphetamine derivative that made sleep impossible. But there are side effects, it's not as restful as natural sleep and there are problems with continual use.

Relaxation exercise, then.

I sit in the middle of my bedroom floor, hands on my knees and eyes closed.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Floating in a void.

Outside the void is chaos. Inside the void is nothing but my mind. Everything that is chaos is rising from my mind and joining the chaos outside of the void. Feel them float away and think of them no-.

"Husband?"

"Hr?"

I'm face down on the floor, laying in a fetal position. There's drool on my cheek and on the carpet.

Mr. Atom was right.

I push myself up, trying to assess how alert I am. It feels like I got about two hours, enough to function but nothing like enough to be fully recovered.

"Talia." She's in costume, minus the cowl and mask. No injuries that are immediately obvious. No outward sign that she's concealing one. "What time is it?"

"Seven in the morning."

The robot won't let me back into the cave for another three hours at the absolute minimum. And while I could function for a while as I am now, it wouldn't last. But I'm still sleepy enough that I should be able to rest normally. I stand, and walk towards our bed.

I want to ask how the city is. But there isn't anything I can do immediately to undo everything that's wrong with it, and if there was an emergency she would have told me.

"Wake me in four hours."

I put my face into my pillow without looking at her face. She knows the situation, and she knows me. I-.

She puts something down on the pillow next to me. I turn my head slightly to look at-.

"From Doctor Mist. A Dream Catcher. It should ward off even the Anti-Life." I feel her gentle hands on my back. "Rest, Husband. The world will be here when you wake."

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's honestly kinda beautiful to see how people react in these situations amidst massive terror and depression.

Talia and Bruce in this chapter showing love and affection for each other, Tommy becoming a better person...

Sojiko, Silveraith, kerleth and 25 others like this.
  7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mister Atom really is showing how much good he could do. I wish he'd join the League after this, but I doubt he thinks it'd be worth the hassle. Also, I love how Bruce is acknowledging how much he's changed since letting people into his life, especially Talia.

8. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Mister Atom: "I shall take over the world...by the most efficient route possible: by emulating kindness and compassion. Nobody will see it coming!"

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily.

He wants to be president, and other presidents have used their connections to organizations like the army to boost their popularity, so him joining the League could help him in a similar manner.

boo600, kerleth, Cuchulin and 11 others like this.
  10. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Anyone know which Batman villain this is? I've never heard of her.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  11. mastermenthe

Only because the actual rat bastards who see it (rightly) as cheating at the Great Game are too busy being depressed to do their usual anti-empathy warfare routines.

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hello, Bruce. I see you're keeping busy. But I get the feeling you're doing the Batman thing and working way past the limits of human endurance, aren't you? Bad idea, especially with a global memetic attack ongoing...

Heh. seems you're a little predictable too, Bruce.

And the last thing Bruce would accept is any kind of mistake on his part, wouldn't he?

Good foresight of the fellow, but such a pain in a situation like this.

Pot, meet Kettle. Yes, you are both rather similarly coloured, aren't you? :p

And a moment like that is exactly why you need to rest, Bruce.

I mean, chiroptera are kind of cute, in a fugly kind of way? :rolleyes:

...Somehow, I don't think 'Dogman' would have struck quite the same kind of fear into the hearts of criminals. :p

...Atom, you have a lot to learn about humour...

And I find it amusing that he's not worrying that the super robot knows where he sleeps. That's how exhausted he is.

Needs must, and sometimes the paranoid control freak needs to open up.

See? Go, rest.

And there's always the slim risk of being attacked in the cave. Wouldn't help if you were only in a light spandex version of the suit because you weren't expecting it.

So, she's working for the bad guys right now? Pity. Presumably soaked in Anti-life up to the tips of her very long hair...
    Edit: Huh, Word of Zoat says no. Wonder who it is, then? :confused: My wiki-fu is insufficient.

Her love for you is stronger than her belief in her father's ways. Even with the Anti-Life whispering in her mind...

You can't carry on your crusade alone, after all. And a burden shared is a burden lightened.

Not yet, anyway.

Ah, Bruce... It says something that when told to relax, you can't...

And I can't see him allowing himself any kind of chemical-related weakness at a time like this anyway.

Safe bet he wakes up flat on his face, drooling into the carpet...

...Kind of hard to meditate when you're snoring, huh? :D

Ah, just the thing to help you relax. Though I have no doubt he's got ludicrous amounts of stamina in the bedroom alongside everywhere else.

Better on a nice soft carpet than in the keyboards of the batcomputer.

And she wears it well. Rowwwr. x3 There's something about a woman in skin-tight suits...

Aw, not going to ask her for some help getting to sleep? x3

It's a rare chance to sit back and see that yes, the world will spin on even if you aren't there to keep it turning, Bruce.

Dawww... And probably would work, too. Pity they can't make one big enough to encompass the entire world.

Well, another look at the state of the world, and a chance to see an unusual side of the Batman: forcibly relaxing and resting up while others work. Hopefully Bruce takes this to heart, and tries to loosen up... :confused: ... ... :V Nope, couldn't keep a straight face. Like hell the ultimate control freak would do that. Still, perhaps he can at least realise that others can help carry the load.

o_O I'm wondering if you meant 'Empress' here, or perhaps she's changed her name due to Anti-Life?

Edit: Apparently not. Guess we'll find out more eventually.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I mean, most people are probably more afraid of dogs than of bats.

Granted, that may have changed in the last few years due to...reasons.

That explains who she is.

I couldn't remember any character with the name "Mistress" in the comics.

Though that doesn't mean that much since there are thousands of minor characters.

After spending who knows how long around Manheim it makes sense she'd take a dark turn.

14. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

A reminder- the anti life effect went active on January 1st or December 31st. Paul had to leave after turning the second Sabbac into an orange ghost, creating Go-Straight-To-Hell contracts with Belle Reve residents, helping salvage a DECIMATED Green sanctuary from fungal invaders, and failing to beat Finality Man.

And if it matters, Hades is currently an amnesiac. It is also possible that Alan has reached blue enlightenment in order to be the hero the world needs- Paul helped him reach his Honden during the Anti-American Dream arc, and heroes like Alan tend to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

15. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Whose Rick?

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He didn't turn the second Sabbac into a construct.

The second Sabbac was sent to Hell by the First of the Fallen.

Paul turned one of Sabbac's patrons, Satanus, into a construct.

Cuchulin, Ardy, boo600 and 2 others like this.
  17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think Mistress is a different character, as Empress should still be connected to that device that also has Question and Black Orchid in it. I can't remember where, but I think one of the parts that shows the people being taken over by the Anti-Life shows who this Mistress is, and she's leading Mannheim's forces in Gotham with Orpheus as her second-in-command.

18. mastermenthe

Laser-guided amnesia, specifically towards Persephone. He has his full capacities otherwise.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

You'd be surprised.
    No. Completely different individual.
    Richard Grayson Senior, Dick's uncle.

mastermenthe, Cuchulin, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  20. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Problem...

Even with genuine kindess and compassion

They won't belive you.

Cuchulin and moralrelativity like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think the three of them were saved from the machine.

Though how good their condition is is unknown, but probably not good.

moralrelativity and Ngamer11 like this.
  22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘affected’
    ‘feels’
    I think this works, but ‘wake’ or ‘awaken’ feel better to me.

23. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Not the second Sabbac. He turned Satanus into a Construct Lantern, the main demon behind Sabbac, brother to Angelica Blaze, son of the Wizard Jebediah aka Shazam, and aspirant-ruler of Hell until he was captured and sent to the magical section of Belle Reve.

Cuchulin, Ardy and moralrelativity like this.
  24. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

IIRC, they weren't - there was no way that even Paul could deduce to detach them from the machine without a high chance of killing them, and he was trying to avoid his usual 'I'll do the efficient thing and worry about the consequences of my actions never' at that point.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

for -> from
    Or it could be just the way Mister Atom talks?

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The closest to a Gothamite called Mistress I can recall is Nocturna, "Mistress of the Night."

Originally she was basically Elvira as a thief, she was Jason Todd's adoptive mother. Originally it was all part of a scheme but I understand they actually came to care about each other as family.

Post flashpoint she's Gotham's resident vampire whose hobbies include playing Carmilla to Batwoman.

While Zoat is usually loathe to incorporate post flashpoint materials, well an undead being with innate mind control powers and an unending thirst for blood might be resistant to the ALE's depression effect ether from the innate hypnotism, bloodlust, or undead nature or some combination thereof.

And a vampire would seem well fit to become an overlord in the post ALE world.

Well Elvira is in fact a DC character, but for some reason I doubt it's Elvira. :)

kerleth, Cuchulin, BR549 and 3 others like this.
  29. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

"The UFO was on fire and everybody was dead when we got here. That's our story and we're sticking to it!" - Actually a common occurance in early missions in the original X-Com

Cuchulin, Istaran, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  30. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Further thought: Once Orange Lantern Paul learns how humans are turned into New Gods, he could probably accelerate his own transformation into one by pouring orange light in to enhance the function of his tattoos, and therefore speeding the way that they grow his soul.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.