1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

agent -> agents
    delete the first "our"
    work -> working

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Roswaul... :confused: No, that may be a fun pun but it's kinda painful on the eyes. And reading ahead, it turns out that this is not the local SI. Interesting idea to shift away from him this early in the alternate. But getting a look at a Lantern in full glory from an ignorant outsider's view could be fascinating.

Presumably they expected it to be a relative cakewalk. So this is significant.

...From what I've seen of the character designs, that armour is fairly high-tech looking, right? Bet that must have been a shock for the workers, guys in sci-fi-looking suits rolling up. :p

And I assume the command vehicle hauled ass out of there when it lost signal?

Logan being the typical 'loose cannon' protagonist, who never gets into serious trouble with his superiors despite his insubordination and independent streak because he gets results. ;) I can see where that would stick in the craw of a hard-line military man.

Frustrated that his op went bad? Dude, no plan survives contact with the enemy. You should know that.

As in the Arthurian-related mythic figure?

There are indeed movies, but I have a feeling this is our SI or his patron.

...Technically it was, but holograms backed by force fields. Since that's kind of what Spectrum Constructs are.

This and this might help a little for a dance-card, given how many new names we're getting dropped on us without links. Sadly, a series this obscure has somewhat slipped beneath the Internet's notice.

Somehow, I doubt it's going to be as easy as a bit of fast talking, agent.

Well, advanced technology unlike anything seen in public at that point might be of interest to the military, you know.

Heh... An 'out of context problem' coming out of nowhere on them. And none of them realise it's not their main enemy behind it.

On the other hand, it might encourage the nations to coordinate on these things. An international agency... :sneaky:

Heh. I wonder if she'll think of a certain different group of 'little green men'.

Asking the important questions, eh, kid?

Bad assumption. I mean, it probably seems logical to them, in a two-sided shadow conflict. Too bad they might dismiss the possibility of a third party getting involved.

Such a pity you guys have no way to modify memories... :confused: Do they not?

Heh. Things are going to get complicated for them soon...

Possible it could have been weaponry stolen by an agent and planned to be sold on the black market? Or do the aliens keep a tight rein on their more conventional followers?

Stories of Percival, from back in the day, I bet.

Queen Mab being her people's ruler, who's not happy with her working with humans? Am I right?

Could be a while, they've been around two and a half millenniums.

Ah, jumping to conclusions. Who said he was?

...And this kind of thing is probably why Ling doesn't like you, Nick.

So, could Roswell Paul - presumably the 'Green Knight' - be trying to push the world to create an X-Com-style group? Because it sure feels like it. Or at the very least, exposing the hidden war going on in humanity's midst. Which might lead to the same result anyway. Interesting that he went for a close melee assault, though. Or was the Knight Percival in person?

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thnak you, corrected.
    Only in the sense of moving the discussion onwards and letting people forget on their own.

This works depressingly well, both in-setting and in reality.
    Given that the Alliance's aim is to put all of her people into their prison vault, it's more that she's not happy about her openly betraying them. Mab doesn't seem to have a strong opinion about humans either way, though she's not keen on modern industry.
    The Alliance is the X-Com style group. The difference is that the Commanmder reports to the Council. Alliance agents assume that Rinaker reports to someone, but understand that given the secret nature of their work normal reporting chains are curtailed. The entire series demonstrates why that's a really bad idea.
    Thank you, corrected.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  4. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I had a really hard time following who the POV was in general. Or consistently recognizing which spoken lines were his.

5. MadMarx420

MadMarx420 Not too sore, are you?

What series/game/show is this Paul in?

6. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I'll remind everyone that there's a Green Lantern movie called "Emerald Knights," if you have any confusion about this strange entity with the vampires.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

8. Kurai

Kurai Getting out there.

You may have spotted people identifying the series further down, but just in case you haven't, the narrator is meant to be Nick Logan, protagonist of Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths and Legends. Admittedly, he does sound more like Paul than Nick, but that's a hazard of working in first-person narration (and as Mr. Zoat managed to both make Sh'lainn sound accurate and spell her name correctly, I'm more than happy to give him a pass). :)

kerleth, Vorian, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"in a plaster"

Chojin Patriarch and Xmaster3000 like this.
  10. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Interesting that this is one of the few alternatives where it makes sense for the SI to adopt a true "secret identity" seeing as how he is working at cross-purposes with conspiracies deeply embedded in government agencies. You may have noticed the "Green Knight" has a full body suit of armor and though not specified, I'm willing to bet the helm fully encloses his face.

Not sure why he decided to make his debut defending an... illegal arms shipment by vampires? It sounds like the Alliance was even trying to take prisoners, not just execute everybody.

11. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

My guess offhand is some bad intel, whether accidentally or deliberately. No vampire overseer is called out as odd.

If this was *actually* an alliance raid on something benign or beneficial the Knight's involvement makes sense.

Xmaster3000 and Prince Charon like this.
  12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Percy didn't specifically hire Green Knight to protect the aliens from the Alliance (although I'm sure he takes no issue with him doing so), but to "police them, or something like that."

So the more likely option, in my not so humble opinion, is that Green Knight was raiding that shipment himself and doesn't recognize the Alliance's authority to interfere.

I've started watching the show after Zoat started this storyline, the Alliance are of the "shoot first, shoot second, keep shooting because the disconnected pieces are still twitching" school of thought. Amanda Waller would be telling these people to chill out.

13. Mr Zoat

Is that the American way of saying it? It's in a plaster cast.
    To be completely fair, they do maintain a prison facility, and they will put aliens there even when there's no immediate utility.

14. Stsword

I wasn't trying to imply they were genocidal or anything, but I got to the episode where they called in an air to surface missile strike to deal with a single chupacabra. That saved Logan's life. And the strike could have blown Logan to smithereens if memory serves.

15. Mr Zoat

Yes, but Rinaker was taking that one personally.

16. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

A chapter with Nick Logan's POV, interesting. I have so many questions. How long has Paul/The Green Knight been on this Earth? Does he know about Rinaker's true allegiance? What is he doing working with the vampires? What did he do to get on the good side of the Banshees? Is Paul going to get a love interest? And at what point in the timeline of the show is this taking place?

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

A little over two months.
    He doesn't even know about Rinaker.
    Those stories are more than two months old.
    Probably? I mean, Agaza was single at the end of the series...
    I'm assuming that date broadcast = date occured.

18. Pez

Pez Spaceman

banshees

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

The joke.

Your head.

Vorian, c3qo, Bramble Thorn and 4 others like this.
  20. BrotherofaStudio

He built a reputation in that amount of time?
    Alright then.
    Guess those revelations will have to wait.
    Not who I was expecting.
    I meant which episodes have already taken place by the time he showed up as the Green Knight.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  21. Pez

Pez Spaceman

I thought it might have been, but it read rather straight-laced to me so... Well, whatever.

22. DeathReaperZ

DeathReaperZ In the Void.

Ah, I see
    You're welcome.

Well, he's not supposed to be very deep, but he does have a pretty well thought out personality.
    Makes perfect sense now, thank you.
    I'm pretty sure that would traumatize them too, so it might not be the best way.
    Ah, I see now.
    He should be able to, given that he has assimilated a member of the Grey
    Am I missing something here, or does Sinestro not like combining their colours?
    Well, you have to beat Darkseid before any of that can happen.
    Interesting, maybe the White Light acts like a full body, mind and soul massage for anything that's alive?
    Well, isn't that nice.
    Well, that's one thing off the bucket list
    Rip and Tear until it is done
    Well this is funny and all that, but keep it up Grayven, and you're not going to have anyone to marry after you kill Darkseid.
    So she is occupied.
    A surprisingly simple, yet effective method.
    Uh oh.
    Plausible.
    Can Paul's ring ever be disabled anymore due to him feeling emotions other than Avarice?
    I feel like he's getting better
    Progress!
    Yet.
    Especially when something disables it/ you turn the effect off.
    Interesting, wonder if this 'leakage' can reanimate nearby corpses when a White Ring is being forged.
    She finds him wanting to talk about their problems irritating? Or am I missing something here
    He better not have.
    Probably
    Good thing this isn't Qward then.
    Ah, Earth tech bullshit.
    He did? Or is he talking about the fact that he always desires everything, so there's no specific thing he wants?
    You don't know what you have until you lose it.
    Is he actually understanding what Motherbox is saying, or is he just that intuitive?
    Aww, is Hinon actually annoyed about that?
    Well, even if she didn't have Hope coloured skin and powers, Paul did end up having a kid with unusual traits.
    So, like normal then?
    I'm not sure if the 'y' in 'Triarchy' is supposed to not be a link.
    This is a surprisingly normal Batman.
    Mistress?
    Yeah, that should work.
    Unless you're a 5-year-old, and Dogman is a Pitbull.
    That is pretty substantial.
    Don't worry, you won't be around to see that happen, probably.
    This scene is just gold.
    Ah, so it was a joke, just to cheer him up. Although he did indeed somehow manage to fool Robin of all people.
    I hope they didn't think what I fear they were thinking.
    PS: Is there a discord server for this story?
    PPS: When will we see the reactions of Artemis/Diana(The moon goddess), of when Paul turned the moon around when he and the Ophidian were merged? If the moon represents them in some way, wouldn't Paul have basically just grabbed their ass, and made them moon(heh) the world?

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  23. DeathReaperZ

What is this based off?

24. Mr Zoat

No. Percival used to go out dressed like that.
    It wasn't a serious suggestion.

In case anyone was wondering, she's the corpse of a panther being controlled by a brain slug.
    They're between episodes 9 and 10. The other banshee aren't trying kill Sh'lainn any longer and Nick hasn't met El Chupacabra.
    Aside from anything else, one of the other three people in the conversation is a banshee. He knows what they look like.
    He finds the friendship-and-harmony society of the ponies off-putting.
    Technically yes, but it would be prohibitively difficult.
    That's because the group are called the Triarchs.

Vorian, c3qo, Frank Iannetta and 3 others like this.
  25. DeathReaperZ

Makes sense.
    But possible, can't wait to see that happen.
    Yeah, which is why I wasn't sure.
    I'm not exactly a 90's kid, so I don't really know what you're talking about.

26. Mr Zoat

Nothing wrong with not growing up in the 90s. But it had come up before. On this page.

27. BrotherofaStudio

As in the ancient Knight of Camelot? Or somebody else? It's been a while since I watched the show.
    Alright then.
    As I recall she's actually alive and forced to cooperate with them.
    Wonder what Paul's going to change.

dw7thdoctor likes this.
  28. Stsword

Percival is the name of the Maltusian Leprechaun.

Based on a character from DC's comics, although Zoat's version is rather different. Not a complaint, just a clarification.

Comics Percy wasn't immortal, didn't know how to use psychic powers or the Glow, and didn't have advanced technology. He sees being a GL not as being a space cop but a magic knight, and probably sees talk of psychokinetic energy or the emotional electromagnetic spectrum as fancy talk for wizardry.

The Green Knight outfit is probably based loosely on this
    [​IMG]

Percy in the comics is getting tutoring in his psychic powers while being a GLC member.

29. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

6th February 2013
    08:23 GMT -5

Short straw duty.

I sigh as I knock on Canis's door. Because some people are immune to the clinical depression field because they're so… Spiritually developed, or whatever. But we get the guy who's immune because he likes it.

"Canis! We've got a meeting!"

I hear his dog get up. I can hear it wagging its tail, which… I think that's because it knows what I smell like and not because it likes clinical depression too. The Justice League's research seems to say that animals aren't directly affected, but I don't think we'll really know until mating season. Pets do better for the same reason that pet owners do, and with farm animals there's not a lot of difference.

I wait a few more seconds, and think about whether I should knock again. Dr. Mist passed around Dream Catchers, but I didn't see Canis pick his-.
    ECSTATIC JUBILATION!
    The door slides open, and Canis… Looks like he's been working out? He's smiling, and there's sweat on his face. Actually, he looks kinda-.

Did I just catch him j-? No. Not thinking it. Not thinking it.

"Kid Flash. We have a mission? Another broadcaster to take down?"

Because he's the only one on the team who can get close without getting overwhelmed. Superboy could handle it, but… His heat vision kinda takes out the whole block.

"Not this time. We're heading to Gotham. Mannheim's going there-"

He grins like he just got real excited.

"-and we're going to spy on him when he does."

Canis nods, and… I don't know what he was hoping for. I don't exactly get why he didn't go over to Mannheim when this all started, but he hasn't held back when we've fought regular soldiers or the Justified.

"It will no doubt prove instructive."

"Can I..? Ask you a question?"

Brute looks around and sniffs at me, then goes back to his water bowl.

"You want to know why I do not serve Mannheim."

"Well… Yeah. Darkseid's obviously cool with him… You always said that Darkseid's your… Y'know-."

"My master."

I.. nod. "So what's up with the whole… Thing."

Canis shrugs, like he doesn't think it's a big deal. "Darkseid has not ordered me to serve this… Human. So I fulfil the last orders I received. The Anti-Life makes it easier to… Perceive them."

"But he's basically Darkseid in a human-suit. Isn't it the same thing?"

He looks at me like I just let off in an elevator.

"No. Darkseid has clearly touched him, but that is all that it is. There is so little of substance to the souls of most humans that-"

"Thanks, Canis."

"-the fleeting contact has turned him into something more." He sounds really contemptuous. "He is no more Darkseid than your shadow is you. No, no more than your footprint is you, than someone who wears your old shoes is you."

"Oh. Good, 'cause my last set of boots went in a charity auction."

Canis gets that distant look he gets when someone gives him an idea.

"Yes. He is Charity Auction Darkseid."

I… I don't know what to say to that. I mean, I know I never want to meet Retail Darkseid, but after… What Uncle Barry said about Apokolips, and what OL said about Darkseid… I kinda knew that anyway.

"So, are you..? Ready?"

Canis nods and grabs his mega rod. "Let us meet."

I step away from the doorway, and he strolls out with Brute right behind him.

And it-.

Okay, look, I'm not saying that I want everyone to be as stressed out as I am. It's just that most people are… Stressed out and depressed by this. Even the ones who are immune to the direct effect of the broadcast aren't exactly turning cartwheels about human civilisation only carrying on because no one's got the motivation to finish it off.

But Canis is like this is normal. I think he's actually more relaxed than he was when the world was still working.

I've gotta ask…

"Is this..? Normal for you?"

"I've lived in this mountain since-."

"No, I mean… The Anti-Life… Thing."

"I was born on Apokolips, where Darkseid's power is absolute and his nature manifest in all things and people. Be glad that you have the privilege of experiencing it while still yourself; few do."

"I can't imagine what that was like for you."

"Much like this, but I was smaller and weaker. And I had fewer friends."

"So this is better."

"It is beneficial. I do not think I would have formed properly here. And I would likely never have known the glory of Darkseid."

"So all the misery and horror and the inability to feel anything… Good?"

"Kid Flash, the human species has access to dozens of different forms of recreational drugs. Do you not?"

"Yeah?"

"Depressants, stimulants and hallucinogens of all kinds. Some adversely affect your health, for a short duration, a long duration or permanently. Other don’t, and once the buzz fades they leave you as you were before."

"Not what the PSAs say, but… So what?"

"Have you ever consumed any?"

"No? I've never had-. I mean, aside from the… Speed formula."

"Your life has been more violent than that of most humans from your home city."

"Yeah, I-." Wait, does he mean, like, anxiety medication? Or some kind of sleep-aid? I guess that a place like Apokolips probably doesn't have drug laws. "I haven't needed anything."

"But you know that they exist. You could take such things."

"I don't think my parents would like it, but, sure. It's possible."

He turns his head back to smile at me.

"Then you understand. A world without Darkseid is like being consumed by narcotics, insulating you from the true reality we all live in but too frequently ignore. It is childish and foolish to prefer it…" He shrugs. "But perhaps it is not so bad to be a little childish sometimes."

I just… Stop. I stop in the corridor and stare after him.

That's-.

That's just so totally…

Messed up.

But I don't think he's lying. I think that's how he actually sees things. And if this keeps up…

A whole lot more people will see things that way when it's over.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  30. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

needless to say, the rest of the chapter is italics.

Wheenesss, Assblaster5000 and Mr Zoat like this.