1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. boo600

boo600 Welp

Finally! Canis and his interpretation!

…wait, Darkseid gave him orders? Directly? When?

I mean, he sent assassins after him for being a bleedin’ Apokolips liberal. (By focusing on art)

This does not suggest communication. This suggests Tanya-thinking, but without a chain of command and orders.

2. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

The Darkseid you order off of Wish

The Darkseid you have at home so your mother won't get you Darkseid.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hell, this whole situation probably makes Canis feel like he's back home for once. I mean, sure, he loves our art, but humanity's overall character is probably like living amongst an entire people of shiny, happy hippies high on life.

Since most animals lack the higher, more complex reasoning that the Anti-Life seems to rely on for its effects. Their worlds are smaller, simpler and more closely tied to their instincts.

...Okay, he should be glad there's no other New Gods around to have heard that little outburst...

Let me guess, he enjoys capturing their collapse in his drawings later?

Kon still not got a handle on the wide-angle nature of his sunbeams, huh?

Don't look down, Wally. Just keep your eyes above his shoulders. And hope that his armour hides any physical signs...

By 'held back', you at least means he isn't avoiding fighting them. Since I expect he only resorts to low-lethality moves under sufferance.

Heh, doggy not interested in speedy-boy now that there's no promise of immediate munchies, eh?

The joy of dealing with a Token Evil teammate.

Oh, this is going to be good...

Huh. I suppose since Apokalips is bathed in this kind of aura all the time, this does seem more normal to him...

Gee, what a wonderful pair of images. :V

So... Mannheim's soul is more or less a thin veneer of vaguely Darkseid-shaped tinfoil, barely holding together? One good poke would pop his bubble? Can't wait to see it happen.

...Goddammit, Wally. :oops:

To be fair, OG Darkseid is less Retail model than He is the hand-made and custom tailored original mass production uses for a template. Like the RX-78-2 Gundam compared to its RGM-79 GM successors. (The GM is sometimes joked to mean 'Generic Model', after all.) :p

No need to, er... Clean up? Catch your breath? Wash your hands? :oops:

That hallway now feeling a lot smaller now, I bet. Neither Canis nor Brut are small fellows, after all.

It feels like home now. Which is kind of depressing in its own right.

Oh-ho, going there, Wally? Better hope you're ready for the answer.

...Oh, yeah. Canis has been there for at least a year, hasn't he? Plenty of time to settle in.

But in this case, there's still hope of it ending.

It's different. I suspect Canis would not say it's better.

More obstacles to overcome? Hence the upper-class being hard assholes. Entirely evil assholes, but that's the nature of Apokalips.

Now where's this going?

To be fair, it's easier to simply say 'these drugs are bad, m'kay?' to kids than try to explain the subtleties.

Though to be fair, that's the kind of drug you only need to take once to change your life.

Unlike, say, Comics Roy Harper. The Seventies, folks! :rolleyes:

And even in a superhero world, most of the medicinal drugs would still have side-effects.

...Uh, thanks, I think? :confused: Canis has a strange mind...

Yeah, that's the kind of statement you need to take a long time to process.

Indeed, Wally, indeed. :(

If nothing else, the pharmaceutical companies will make a killing. :oops: Or the suppliers of less legal options.

...Probably more of Canis' world-view than any of us were expecting to see, I bet. Still, he has a point there. I have the feeling Earth will be a darker place for a while. Or people will overreact, having seen the worst things can get (or so they assume) and try to make the world better, only to hamper humanity's ability to defend themselves later somehow...

'ECSTATIC JUBILATION!' I hope?
    ...and once the buzz fades they leave you as you were before.

4. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Very interesting world view there Canis. Super-Nihlism would be the closest I could describe it.... And the people I know nearest to being nihilists are alcoholics.

5. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

That TIME I got RE-INCARNATED in a SUPER-HERO WORLD, And my superpower is already being clinically depressed!?

Edit:
    I'M BATMAN

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  6. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’keeps’

7. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Did you mean: "Every Oregairu Crossover Fan Fiction Ever"?

:V

Cuchulin, Wheenesss, dxdragon and 3 others like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

You know what? I'll give it to you. I spent half an hour with no internet connection this morning and have no idea whether my correction went through befor eyou posted or not.
    Thank you, corrected.
    My goodness, based Green Arrow. How times change.
    Thank you, corrected.

Cuchulin, mastermenthe, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  9. ZzzSlothzzZ

I'll do you one better
    50% of Japanese protagonists.
    90 if its a Japan⇒Isekai-world.

Yes I just rescued the princess, one-shotted the dragon, revived the crippled economy and subjugated the enemy kingdom without breaking a sweat and I look like a total chad and am not an asshole.

Why is everyone giving me money and throwing themselves at me?

vs.

Hollywood Protag in 6 easy steps.

BOOM
    Big BOOM.
    Many BOOM
    Dragon BOOM
    Princess BOOM
    Economy BOOM

Giv me moneyz
    Giv me big tiddys

10. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

But... But why does the happy drugs being turned off make Canis giddy??

Edit: Missed the invisitext. How does coming down from a months long trip on uppers (that leave you highly functional) cause him to be ecstatic?

Not necessarily. Based on what Canis says every human soul is a thin veneer of tinfoil. Mannheim's just happens to be Darkseid-shaped. Or in other words, there is no reason to think that being Darkseid-shaped makes a human soul much more fragile than usual.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  11. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

can someone remind me of how/why Canis is a good guy? like i get him not wanting to work with Charity Auction Darkseid, but if/when Darkseid actually shows up, he almost sounds like he would revert to 'bootlicker' almost immediately. would that be deliberate?

12. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Canis is not a good guy. Orange Lantern Paul, who has trouble caring about someone's morality when they are useful and can be reasoned with and haven't taken something that is his, recruited him and stuck him into the Young Justice. The Justice League trusted his judgement. Canis himself respects the power of his new peers and his superiors in rank, so he amuses himself by following their code of conduct in battle and enjoys their company.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Also the fact that Barda kept beating him until he stopped trying to run away.

14. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Wait a second… Paul recruited Princess Komand’r when she was fourteen! She was his first recruit, even, and has been a major member of the Corps the whole time.

Does that mean that, a year or two down the line, we might get to see Lantern Yat in action?!

I’ve been utterly fascinated by the concept of a Kryptonian OL since he was introduced, so I’m really hoping he’s going to make more appearances down the line. He seems like a pretty interesting character too, judging by his backstory.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You're assuming he'd want to have something that hinders the Anti-Life.

Weird that he's still working with them.

A new title for Manheim.

Manheim, the Charity Auction Darkseid.

I really want someone to say it to him.

"dozens"

So...Canis sees pre-Anti-Life Earth as being populated by stoned hippies.

But probably all too common on Apokalips.

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know there may be a potential way that Canis will fight Actually Darkseid.

If he thinks that he's helping him.

Remember Canis has some weird notions about things, so if he thinks that he can show how awesome his boss is by fighting him at full strength then he may do it.

KomandorCliff, boo600 and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I bet he calls his works "The Folly of Fools", and they represent the hopelessness in pursuing futile victories over a more powerful foe.

Manheim may be able to shut them down.

Darkseid basically crammed four potatoes into a one potato sack and it ripped.

Just like All-Might feared would happen to Ezekiel if he didn't meringue him.

But that eventually lead to the beautiful and hilarious relationship with Killer Croc being his sponsor.

Unless the White Light fixes that.

19. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Don't you just hate it when that's all the thrift store has.
    someone else bought the last negative wonder woman.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, just noticed that the latest episode part isn't on the TOC.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Canis is going to experience the "ultimate suffering" of having his worldview be forcibly replaced by the Life Eauation.

KomandorCliff and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Does KF not know it's spelled "Brut"?

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

I think you mean "BANG"

25. ZzzSlothzzZ

The truly sad thing is,
    BOOM is more realistic

26. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

6th February 2013
    08:53 GMT -5

"Recognized, Match, B Two Five."

A flash of light, then I'm in a Gotham back alley blinking spots out of my eyes. It's not that I can see zeta radiation-. Though I can. It's more that I see all the other radiation, and then the techniques I use to stop myself getting blinded by all the colors and shapes mean that when it stops and I'm in a street somewhere, the contrast of the new much more simple lights makes it like a normal human just walked out of somewhere with blinding lights and into a pitch black room.

Superman said he didn't really find it a problem. I don't know if that's because he grew up normally like this, or if there's… Something left over from Cadmus that means I can't. Guess I'll find out in a few years.

There are a couple of zeta tubes in Gotham, but the one Artemis usually uses got spotted by Mistress's gang last month. They didn't do anything to it except watch it, but that amounts to pretty much the same thing. The clothes I'm wearing should let me fit in, though we've noticed that people who've… Let the Anti-Life in and.. not killed themselves, can generally notice when they're talking to someone who isn't… Who hasn't gone that far. And we know that because in a lot of places the people in charge send teams out to kidnap them so they can break them.

Mistress hasn't really done that. Might be because she used to be a good person. Or it might be because she figures that Gotham's going to do that for her.

I mean, something about this place was driving people crazy-.

I spot a security patrol. Four Anti-Lifed people under Mistress's control, wearing handcuffs double cuffed around their left wrists. Other than that they're just wearing gang clothes… One of them looks like he used to work for the Joker, but the rest look… 'Normal'. No sign they're afraid of me, or even bothered about a potential outsider being on 'their' street.

I tap my communicator, telling them it's not clear to come through. Until the enforcers move away, the rest of the team will have to come in through Wayne Manor. And then I walk over to them.

Like I'm walking to the chopping-.

Huh. Been a while since I've felt like that in a city without a transmitter. Robin was right about people broadcasting it without help.

"Hey."

Four sets of eyes staring at me. They're armed, but they don't have anything that could hurt me. I'm not even sure if open carrying is illegal in Gotham or not, but if it isn't then they're not actually breaking the law.

"Worm."

One thing people don't know about Superman is that he's a great actor. Even when you know that he's Clark Kent, he acts like a totally different guy. Except when he's around his parents and he acts like himself. But it's not genetic or anything. He had to study to learn how to do that. I haven't. I can fit in most of the time, but I know I don't respond to situations that would be dangerous to a normal guy in the way normal guys do. I probably should be nervous about talking to them, but I'm not.

Not that they're reacting to it. I take a quick look at the electrical activity in their brains, and it's… It's zen-like, like they're perfectly fine with whatever's happening around them. Or to them.

"Hey, can you..?"

They keep staring at me. That's probably intimidating to normal people.

"Tell me..? What does Mistress want?"

They stand a little straighter when I say her name.

The clown guy's eyes narrow a little. "What do you mean, worm?"

"Mistress rules the city."

"And you better remember it."

"So what does she want to do with it? What does she want us to do?"

"Surrender yourself to her."

"Like, just go to wherever she-."

I see his fist coming a mile away, and I turn my head with the punch so he doesn't break all his fingers.

"No, worm. You have felt the despair. The desolation."

"Yeah, that's… That's why I'm asking, man. You guys… You guys look like you're fine, so… Is that it? We just..? We do what she says-."

"You do not understand."

The clown points down the street, where there's a-.

Someone killed themselves by sitting in a car while it filled up with exhaust fumes. The body isn't fresh.

"Attachment is the root of all pain. Ego. Self. That man killed himself because he saw how flimsy his pathetic self was and couldn't cope. He fought the truth. He fought Mistress."

"So she killed him?"

"So he rejected her by ending his own life, rather than accept truth and transformation. It was the realisation that he wasn't what he thought he was and his attachment to that which killed him."

"So just… Don't be attached?"

"It's not that simple." He takes off his purple top hat and waves it at me. "I used to work for the Joker, you know?"

"I… I guessed..?"

"He liked keeping his people off-balance. One time he gave a guy a gag cigar. Blew his head right off. At the time it scared the shit out of me, but I needed the money. And it was kind of funny when it happened to someone else."

Man, Gotham sucks.

"And not funny when it happened to you. But after a while, it was just part of life. Not really worth talking about. One time, Joker was pissed about something and pointed a gun at my face… I just didn't react. He didn't like that so much."

"He shot you?"

"No. Said there wasn't any point. But right it that moment, when the gun barrel was an inch from my eye? I wasn't scared or angry. I wasn't thinking about all the things I could have done. I wasn't thinking anything except 'huh, okay'."

That's… Messed up. Most of Joker's henchmen are just regular criminals or people who are desperate and out of work.

"And now… It's like that, all the time. If Mistress pointed a gun at my face, and pulled the trigger -or didn't- I wouldn't think much of anything either. Or if she told me to walk out into traffic. Or eat my own intestines. 'Huh.' 'Okay.'"

One of the other henchmen nods. "It's inspiring, really. He got that far before Mistress even took over."

"But how do you get like that? I mean-."

"You just… Get used to it. To not mattering. To just… Being, as part of Mistress."

Four near-identical nods.

"I don't think I get-."

The clown draws his pistol-

The guy he's pointing it at smiles. "Huh."

"I get it-!"

"Okay."

-and the clown shoots him in the head.

There's no particular expression on his face as his body falls over. The other two don't look bothered, either. On their faces or in their brains.

Damn it. I could probably have stopped him, but then my cover's blown and there's nothing to stop them killing someone else when I'm not here. Which is what usually happens when someone from the Justice League tried talking to these people.

"That-."

"It's a demonstration. For you, and for whoever you're asking for. Do you want to learn more?"

If I say 'yes' then he'll probably shoot one of the others, and then himself. The last one will report back to whoever's in charge…

I don't need to know what they know that badly.

"I-. I think I'm good. Ah, thanks."

"Then you're not ready for Mistress. Scram."

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I suppose it's natural for Match to join the Team at a time like this. Hope he becomes a regular member even after Mannheim is defeated.

That should say 'is'.

That should say 'kind'.

That should say 'walk'.

An interesting insight on how the Justified become what they are. Now I hope the Team will succeed so Mistress can be taken down faster.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The drawback of enhanced senses. Especially since Match is much closer to full Kryptonian than Kon is. Wonder if they've been changing their appearance to not be identical or not? :confused: ...And now I'm picturing Match with a long, late-90's Superman mullet...

Yeah, he probably does the equivalent of closing his eyes. Or he simply recovers faster.

No doubt every would-be warlord has their own methods. Even the omnicidal types, who might find themselves running out of slaves fast.

Yeah, that's pretty much Gotham in a nutshell, really.

Interesting affiliation symbol with the handcuffs. Nice visible way of signifying allegiance, without being a significant handicap or drawback if they need to fight. And they can take them off later, unlike tattoos.

And Gotham is generally bad enough that it probably hit critical self-sustaining mass quicker. I mean, Bludhaven or Hub Ciy were probably worse from the start...

And it's not like the Gotham City Police are doing much of anything at this point...

Eh, Clark did have years to get it right. Early on, I doubt he was anywhere as good as he is now.

Ah, Super-Vision. Reminds me of the 'Superman: Birthright'-era origin, where he could see the energy of life around living things. And when it faded away as they died...

Pity Match has a really weird reference point of social interaction, due to his origins.

Yeah, he's realised Match's not normal, hasn't he? Still, they aren't attacking him. Yet.

Eh, she only rules it until someone stronger comes along...

...Then what? I mean... It's not like she needs everyone bowing to her, right? :p

Yeah, that would pretty much blow the con.

Sadly, not everyone is the sort of person to be comfortable bending their knee...

Ech. o_O Yeah, that doesn't sound pleasant at all. World's gonna have a lot of clean-up to do after all this is over...

I doubt she stood there telling him to do it. But still...

Makes me wonder how well those involved with Zen-focused orders have handled things.

It was that or the Hatter, after all. Kind of a giveaway.

And being a Joker goon sucks harder. This is not news...

To be fair, if he had reacted, Joker might have not taken it well either. Guy's kind of mercurial that way.

And then you get the crazy ones. The weird ones. Like this guy.

...Somehow, having Gotham mooks look up to you for that doesn't seem like an honour.

Ah, so it's kind of a nihilistic thing. "Things can't get any worse, so I may as well be a goon for this crazy lady."

Ooh, possibly not the best choice of response, Match...

Let me guess, he's having his own little epiphany moment.

...Yep. Sometimes you don't get it until staring right down the barrel...

And that's Anti-Life for you. Nothing matters.

Assuming they didn't just start killing themselves. Who knows how they've been ordered to respond to capes...

No, in this case, the response is not "I would like to know more."

...Well, that little information gathering attempt blew.

Not off to a great start. Still, Match hasn't been at the information gathering game for that long, has he? :p Only natural his Skill Bonus isn't that high yet.Let's hope all the Team's attempts don't roll as badly. ...And we still don't know anything more about 'Mistress' than 'she rules Gotham via Anti-Life.' Though she's probably a better boss than some of the usual Gotham Freaks. :oops:

30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’brains’?

That was a fun chapter. Really neat look at the psychology of these Anti-Lifers, or at least these specific ones.

kerleth, Assblaster5000, Ardy and 4 others like this.