1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’shorter transmitting range’?

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Who's the Mistress anyway?

4. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Alright. Did a bit of a reread while procrastinating finals and started quoting the rotted links I found. There’s plenty more, as these are only the ones in the section I reread. Still, there’s… quite a lot of them rotted, especially the images, which are almost entirely gone. Going forward, I strongly recommend you upload photos to Imgur and link to there. It’s a much more resistant site and would be a far better host for anything you want to last more than a few years.

5. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Three (probably crazy) thoughts on the identity of Mistress:

1) someone who showed up for three issues in the 1960s that everyone forgot about, probably actually going by the name Mistress. This is Zoat we're talking about, after all.

2) Catwoman. She hasn't shown up in ages, but she has the sort of strong personality that could grab a leadership position in these circumstances.

3) Jennifer Gordon-Hewitt. She has shown up in story (searching Catwoman's appearances is what reminded me of her, actually). She's old, but she's in Gotham and she has an extensive collection of superhero and supervillain memorabilia. Which normally wouldn't lead me to guess "prospective warlord," but this chapter mentioned the old Gotham villain tech that's lying around for the taking... might also explain why she is *only* being called Mistress - if it was someone whose older name was well known by our recent viewpoint characters (like Catwoman), there might be a mix of names used.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

I think that lady was killed by (I'm blanking on the name it's 7 am where I am) Paul's time travel rival.

7. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Bah, you're right. I did search, but made a bad assumption that the search results were in any sort of order. So what I thought was the most recent appearance wasn't.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Note about Imgur - under new ownership (MediaLab AI, Inc. since 2021) and with machine learning tools to remove images that may or may not comply with their new Terms of Service (see the Safety & Standards section in the Help section). We'll see. We all remember Tumblr's automated image removal tools flagging so many non-violating images right?
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...ve-explicit-and-anonymous-content-next-month/

9. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Not just explicit pics that's bad enough. Any pics that were uploaded anonymously which has gotta be a large percentage of them, so anyone who uploaded there thinking it was more resilient, well we're about to see a whole lotta dead embeded pics.

Caerwen likes this.
  10. _The_Bomb

It‘s really not a problem if you make an account. You can use a temporary email and make a nonsensical username and password once, and you’ll never have to worry about images rotting again. Well, nothing lasts forever, but Imgur is going to be around for a long time.

11. Threadmarks: Lantern Conspiracies (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

3rd November 1999
    21:18 GMT

I watch as the… Goblin? Their bodies are shaped like chimpanzees, though their faces look more like a bat's. Have to check when I get back. The goblin working as a nurse checks the bandages on one of his wounded fellows. Alliance plasma weapons are designed to be significantly less lethal than they could be, but they stun people with electrical discharges and skin burns, and despite what mythology might suggest goblins aren't only vulnerable to iron.

I get a few glances in my direction, but by this point they've more or less decided to ignore my glowing green form.

I'm still not sold on the 'secrecy' angle, but I don't think these people would be inclined to trust a human at this point. A glowing green man who just beat up an Alliance platoon on the other hand… I appear to be accepted. Percival told me that he used to use a form like this for when he had to fight things, and a few of these people appear to remember those stories.

It's not just human myths, it seems.

"Do you think he can't talk, or he's just choosing not to?"

Another goblin with two vampire plasma pistols attached to his belt glances at a green-skinned female of… A species I don't recognise. Her dimensions are more human-standard than the shorter goblins, and…

And I'm checking her out, which is a lot easier to get away with when your face is concealed from external view by a glowing green helmet that doesn't obstruct your vision.

"I don't know. Have you tried asking him?"

"No, he just followed us..." The goblin straightens up a bit, and adjusts his flat cap before facing me. "Green man. We owe you our lives. Thank you."

I ball my right hand into a fist, then bring it over to the left side of my chest, over my heart. Incline my head slightly, then straighten and lower my arm.

"You've… Fought with the Alliance before?"

No, not like that. Monitored to get some idea of how they operate, yes. Stolen equipment, yes. Fought a platoon of their soldiers in the middle of a city, no. And last time Percival went out like this the founders of the Alliance hadn't been born yet.

But I don't respond. The less I do to let anyone know the truth, the better.

The goblin gives me a moment, then turns back to the green woman. "I'm leaning towards 'can't talk'. Some sort of robot, you think?"

"Titani automata are usually bigger. And less green. Maybe he just doesn't like trasgu."

"What's not to like about us?" The goblin widens his arms in a gesture of appeal, causing the nurse to glance his way.

"We're not exactly human-appealing, Reddy."

"Why would a robot care about that?"

The green woman takes a step closer, red eyes trying to peer past my glowing visor. "Maybe he's just shy."

Shy around attractive women? Well, reserved, yes, but I've spent the last three months doing intense physical exercise to prepare for this role and I'm feeling a little more confident in my own appearance than I used to.

She raises her right hand up to caress my helmet, an action which due to her relative shortness requires her to come right up to me.

"We are very grateful to you, sir knight. Those beastly Alliance soldiers might have done all sorts of things to us if you hadn't… Cut in."

I reach up with my left hand, take hold of her right and bring it to the area of my construct mouth guard, miming kissing it before releasing my hold.

"Failing to seduce a robot." The goblin-. Trasgu, I suppose, sneers. "We need to find a male of your species: that's just depressing."

Perimeter breach.

I jerk my head up, forcing the ring to show me the exterior of this Cold War era bunker. More Alliance soldiers, these ones carrying a greater number of plasma cannons. And since we're further away from population centres, they're using more of their mechs.

The green woman looks concerned. "What is it?"

I hold out my right hand, palm up, and generate a construct image of what I'm seeing. She gasps sharply, and looks to the trasgu for guidance.

"We can't fight that many. The back entrance?"

He looks at the wounded, who are wincing as they pull themselves to their feet.

"We'll have to. I'll set the charges."

"Those things can fly. There isn't anywhere to-"

There's an explosion outside as the mechs target their trucks. Most of their equipment was already offloaded, but there's no way to transport most of it now. This bunker isn't in official use any longer, and we're in an isolated location, so in theory they could just collapse the entrance and then come back later…

Ring, contact local police with alert.

They won't be able to do anything, but the Alliance seems to avoid killing regular police units. Another set of witnesses might force the Alliance to pull out. Or it might not.

Thing is, it's still the late nineties. It's phone communication only, and they've got no capacity to receive video transmissions.

Phone call in progress.

But… That's not going to be enough. They could just stun regular police. This is Britain, I don't think they even routinely issue tasers or CS sprays.

Contact the closest police armed response unit. Fake dispatch orders.

Orders fabricated. Emergency dispatch triggered.

That will create an awkward situation. They won't have anything heavy enough to damage the mechs, but an armed response unit will in theory be able to kill Alliance infantry.

I don't… Think they'll engage. The armed response unit will have records, and the moment they arrive on scene they'll radio their headquarters.

Reddy takes a moment to watch the wounded hobbling for the other exit, then draws his pistols. "Listen, Green Knight-."

I add the image of a shield to my self-concept and the ring responds, a tower shield with the green sigil on it shimmering into being. Then I march towards the front door.

"I was going to ask you to guard the retreat, but if you want to be the distraction I'm all for it. Knock 'em dead!"

Alliance plasma cannons have worse pulse confinement than the vampire version, and I know I can block those. But the Alliance are much more cavalier about maintenance and parts; they'll hose a target down and not worry about overheating and burnout because they can replace what they break more easily.

I hold out my right hand, and add a knightly arming sword to my self-concept. It's… A strange way to think, and a little disassociative. But it works.

Other goblins pull back from the front entrance as the Alliance mechs open fire. I'm a little surprised that they're not using breaching charges to open the door, but maybe they just assumed that we'd booby trap it and it would be easier to dig us out? The only other alien here is a hulking golem, vampire plasma cannon in one hand and the other a bare fist. He..? Looks down at me as I prepare to charge.

"You? Okay. The way I see it, we just need to take out their mechs. No way they can keep up without transport. After that, it's just about keeping them on us for as long as possible."

For a moment, I'm… Touched, both by his devotion and what he's assumed about me. I don't like these people well enough to die for them.

But…

I think I might find out whether I'm willing to kill for them. And if human history is anything to go by… I probably am.

I hold up my shield hand to show him my fingers, and count down to zero.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  12. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not sure how it is in show but does seem more and more like Alliance treating all alien refugees as hostile and not bothering with diplomacy.

Jaron, Vorian, Bolo and 13 others like this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"you our"

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Spoilers!

That's being done deliberately by an alien infiltrator who has subverted the Alliance

This Paul doesn't even try to talk with them? What would Enlightened Self Interest Paul think!

15. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I mean, you can't just enter a country illegally, call yourself a refugee and then be shocked when the government doesn't agree.
    Replace country with planet. Why should that be different?

Edit: Keep in mind I have never even heard of this show, let alone watched it.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, one of many classic alien species from the 'golden age' of UFO encounters. And I'm guessing the more belligerent alien species make the Alliance a lot more willing to hit hard, ask questions later.

So, pretty much confirmed outright that... <Sigh> Roswaul... is the glowing green knight previously encountered.

Heh. Not confident in the sound of his voice? I suppose his accent would be recognisable. Or maybe he's just trying to cultivate the 'silent man of mystery' image amongst them?

Can't deny the appeal of interestingly-coloured alien ladies.

Now, how will he answer?

I wouldn't call it a fight, given the capabilities of a Lantern Ring, even one in the hands of a relative rookie.

So presumably the last time the Alliance saw him, he just took them all down easy.

Or maybe he's something neither of you have seen before. The galaxy is a big place, after all. :p

Except in an ugly-cute way. Hey, it happens.

...Dammit, why am I suddenly picturing him as dressed like Goblin Slayer now? o_O

Ah, Percival had him working out, eh? A fit body benefits a fit mind?

Heh, playing up the chevalier image, eh?

And I bet the lady is a little annoyed right now.

The joy of working without more than a rudimentary AI. And it looks like the Alliance are unhappy.

Looks like Roswaul is going to have to fight...

...Or a lot of these people will die.

Well, rude. Not like they could have run for them in front of the Alliance's guns.

Still, if it can make them back off a little... More of the wounded might make it to safety.

Imagine taking that call at the station.

True, the British police have never been the most aggressively armed of peacekeepers.

And the amount of back-and-forth shouting will help distract the attackers.

Anything to slow the Alliance down, after all. And the sheer public nature of the encounter might raise some alarm bells upstairs, so to speak.

Pfft. They could barely hurt him. If he got distracted.

So they may injure themselves trying to damage him. Tough luck for them.

This would already have been over, if he'd had a more user-friendly Ring. Bet that's why Mr Zoat picked Green for hard mode.

The Alliance are clearly in the wrong here. Don't feel too bad about chastising them.

Assisting an ingroup is a powerful drive, after all. And Roswaul has thrown in with them...

Well, this should be noisy. Wonder what the series protagonists will make of this display? Because an armed response like this seems excessive for a group they expect to have large numbers of injured and thus handicapped in a straight fight. Or perhaps someone is taking advantage of this to escalate matters a little.

...though their faces look more like a bat's.
    The goblin widens his arms in a gesture of appeal...

Perimeter breach.

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

they're -> they've

18. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Especially when most of the myths of your people are evil, or you prey on human.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I now can't stop picturing him yelling "GAAAHBLINNSSS!" whenever he speaks.

And making people drink goblin urine.

Aside from making him physically stronger, it can make him more willful.

Working out can be stressful and painful, so it can help to have a strong will.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  20. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Should be 'breach', unless they used the butt (or breech) of a *really* big gun to do it.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    1) Because the Alliance has no legal authority
    2) Because a lot of them entered before those countries existed
    3) Because genuinely can't leave.

Take the banshees, for example. The Republic of Ireland came into existence in 1922. They've been in Ireland for a lot longer than that. Why should they need the Irish government's permission to stay? Take sirens. According to Homer, there were sirens around when the Trojan War was happening, somewhere between 900 and 600 B.C.. Modern Greece won independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1830 A.D.. Even the Kingdom of England is only 1100 years old, and Percival is far older than that.

Ti-Yet would like nothing better than to take his people home. But they were brought to Earth as slaves and have no access to spacecraft.

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, that's pretty important. Not uncommon for the protagonist-group in these sorts of shows, though.

Well, that says a lot more about the situation. Might still be an issue for the modern governments if/when they find out, though (because politicians being hypocrites happens a lot), but a pretty useful thing to argue in court. An 'alien' who was born in the UK isn't an alien, after all, but the court would still need to decide whether a non-human is a person.

23. Mr Zoat

Um... Maybe.

Unlike the United States, most European countries don't count you as a citizen just because you were born there. Britain doesn't, Italy doesn't, and I think Ireland stopped a few years ago because people were taking the piss.

24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

host -> hose ?

25. Azure Mirage

Azure Mirage Getting sticky.

The whole thing I took away from Roswell Conspiracies was that a bad boss will and can get you into trouble more often than not by withholding information.

The Paul of the setting got information immediately upon arrival and a job offer for ring charge and pay. So far I am loving the whole X-Com vibe and I think the series took a lot of hints from that game series and other sources naturally now that I am older and can buy all the games I was too broke as a kid to play and or learn of.

I can appreciate the attention to detail immensely as always with Zoat's work when he slips into another media setting. How the characters act like they did in the show and or setting considering reboots and alternate universes are a thing.

I am also glad there was a mention of working out for the sake of physical fitness by the SI due to not having an Orange ring to automatically perform Biomancy due to latent desire. Too many ignore the cardio thing, you really need endurance to survive short fights that drag out into long ones. So constant training is a must and heck, anime does love its training montages as an example.

26. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Anyone else imagining Paul as Luke Skywalker and Percival as Yoda training Paul while he does handstands in a swamp?

27. _The_Bomb

I’m am surprisingly excited to see the ARU show up in the middle of this. To all my fellow Americans, you should look those guys up on Google images. It’s like a baby version of SWAT

28. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Paul has probably become a real headache for the Alliance by this point. I hope he meets Logan and Sh'lainn soon and starts getting the first hints of Rinaker and his true motives and I really hope that we will see the episode where Athos is born. Why doesn't he talk?

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He is inconvenient, but more because they don't know what areas he operates in. Once he's a known threat, they would plan around him.
    Thing is, neither the SI nor Logan know enough to be sure how right or wrong the Alliance is. The SI opposes them because he sees them attacking innocent people and not having lawful authority. Logan considers the threat to be big enough that he'll accept a few things he's not comfortable with.
    Almost certainly not. There's no reason for the SI to go there.
    Kayfabe.

30. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Pardon?

kerleth and Ardy like this.