1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Such a curious case, this Roswell Paul. In contrast with the Anti-Green Paul that had his Will trained and enhanced by the slaving ring, this one has to train himself with no guidance or specific intuitiveness. And it's interesting to see his way of fighting, since he's focusing on maintining his image as The Green Knight.

mastermenthe, Cuchulin, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And if they've been briefed on the Emerald Knight, I suspect the rock guy isn't going to draw nearly as much fire as they expected to. A pity Roswaul can't use ranged weaponry easily with his current skill level, or this would go a lot quicker.

I assume he's moving on foot. Don't want them to realise he can fly, after all.

At least he's got the hang of using the Green Light to make things happen: Refusing to accept the possibility of it not.

And I'm half-picturing the sword shooting out Snake-Sword style, before bursting into dozens of smaller points...

Which is impressive, as bipedal locomotion is not easy to reproduce mechanically. Especially when trying to maintain balance like that.

Like the way he's using a mantra-like repetition to maintain focus.

Pfft. You expect them to leave it in one piece?

Focus, Knight. Doubt is weakness.

Yeah, not something you want to be anything near when it's taking an uncontrolled tumble.

Time for some paladin-worthy righteous chastisement.

'Come have a go, if you think you're hard enough, mate.'

And while we know you won't tear through them like you did the mechs, they don't know that.

Giving up already? No doubt wary of making too much noise, eh?

Ain't nothing getting through a focused Green lantern's defences when they're that focused.

The drawback of using constrained plasma for melee weapons.

Sneaky fellow. I have a feeling you'll be seeing him again.

But twisted wreckage is a lot harder to identify than an intact mech suit. Wouldn't be surprised if people's initial reaction is 'what happened to that car?'

Well, shit.

Ah, the old 'moving object versus stationary obstacle' reaction. Except this moving object is nearly unstoppable. Pity the goon isn't immovable.

Boy, were they operating on bad intel...

Oh, hell, no. No shooting unarmed bystanders on this Knights watch.

Well, so much for the non-lethal response plan...

Joy of being effectively a mono-molecular edge.

Yeah, first kill's always the hardest, isn't it? Especially when you don't have a Light's psychological effects to distract you, like Rage or Compassion.

And remember, that guy was threatening two unarmed people with a plasma rifle, one of them injured. And I doubt he had it set to low-lethality mode.

Still, think of this as a formative moment. When you realise just how powerful you are, and how badly you can mess people up.

So, the first fatality on the Alliance's side from Roswaul's actions. I can't see the protagonists taking this well when they hear about it. And he's probably going to have to rethink a few things too. Lots of 'what could I have done better?' moments ahead. Though I expect the Green Light will let him power through a lot of the more emotional reflections...

No installed AI at all, if it's anything like the other Rings we've seen a Paul start out with. OL and Renegade only have something like an AI in their Rings because Orange Light coding shenanigans.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, well, faulty information uh?

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yup, Hope is the most powerful emotion, but without the willpower to enact that Hope it's limited in what it can do.

5. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

They didn't have a proper maltusian database, but both OL and Renegade's ring had an AI at the start.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Haven't decided. My first idea is that it sort of does, but the notifications go to Percival rather than causing him to be auto-fired.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Increases their ring charge. Post flashpoint they can do that for every color of ring. This can cause rings to explode by overcharging, by the by.

Post flashpoint, that weakness was Ganthet malware instead of an inherent property of the blue light. Considering GL largely ignored flashpoint, maybe it was always intended to be Ganthet malware instead of an inherent property.

The Blue Lantern Corps was then promptly slaughtered down to just Saint Walker, because without that weakness it would be the Blue Lantern Corps and their loser sidekicks who aren't good enough for a blue ring.

8. Profipfreely

Profipfreely Verified Pun

Should probably be storm forward

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Killing an Alliance soldier is going to attract a lot of bad attention for Paul. It was really interesting seeing how he makes ring work by constantly deciding or willing his constructs to be strong enough though I suppose that was obvious.

Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  11. Kurai

Kurai Getting out there.

The DC wiki claims that Green and Yellow rings are capable of "limited cellular regeneration" (whatever that means; we both know it's code for "as much healing as the author needs to get away with, or not"). Aside from that, the one time I saw it referenced in the actual comics was when when they were pulling Guy Gardner out of a Red Power Ring's influence, an Indigo Tribesman managed to patch him up but left trace toxins in his bloodstream, noting that a Blue ring would be needed for "true healing."

Indigo being able to do it makes sense to me, as healing is generally an act of compassion; blue being the best at it also makes sense, because the Blue Light is "hope," or, in an earlier age, "faith" - miracles, then, are very much its stock in trade, so to speak.

Yeah - I think it was Atrocitus who put it as, "Without the willpower to enact it, hope is nothing more than well-wishes and prayers."

To the best of my knowledge (and I'm drawing on the roleplaying game as well as decade-old memories of the comics here), without the presence of a Green Power Ring, a Blue Lantern is limited to flight and their personal (environmental?) shield - and that, at about half-strength of normal. In the presence of a Blue Power Ring, a Green Lantern's ring charge is basically doubled.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Xmaster3000, Cuchulin, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  12. Stsword

Ice used Guy's ring to cure Ivo of his deforming and cripplling immortality serum. Guy commented he didn't understand how she did that since he can't even cure his own hemorrhoids.

Simon pulled someone out of a coma.

Hallalax, although without a ring, used the green light to heal Stewart.

However, it's mostly a fake weakness anyway- Power rings can create chemicals constructs, as shown when Kyle created a sleeping gas construct to knock out Alan.

Power rings can also manufacture medicine, as Stewart did to cure a plague in Cosmic Odyssey.

Power rings can create medical equipment constructs, as Sinestro's daughter's first act as a green lantern.

So David Kim of the Anansi Justice League, being a nanite engineer specializing in medical applications, could probably create medical nanite constructs to heal anything he wanted.

13. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

its

Is this perserveratey focus on how your constructs are intact normal Green Lantern mindset?

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm not sure what word 3 means, but probably not. Green Lanterns are selected for having a strong will, so they're that focused normally.

15. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

How many can they really get this far out of the boonies?
    And how many of those are falsely assumed by the Alliance?

Prince Charon likes this.
  16. Threadmarks: Lantern Conspiracies (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

November 3rd, 1999
    22:47 GMT

I look out through my binoculars at the airbase where the British government is keeping the Alliance's equipment.

"This isn't a research centre. I'd guess that they're holding it here because they don't know what to do with it and want to keep it somewhere secure. Which means that there are going to be a lot of people coming and going."

Next to me, Fitz lowers his binoculars and then clears his throat.

"Gentlemen, I-" I wince at his accent. I'm… Pretty sure that British people haven't actually sounded like that outside of Buckingham Palace since World War Two. "-am Doctor Nigel Fortescue. I hear you've got a rather rum project for me, what what?"

Perrera shakes her head. "We don’t have their phone line and we don't have a radio intercept. Unless there really is a guy called Nigel Fortescue, they won't buy it for long enough."

"Nick…" I lower my binoculars and turn to face Sh'lainn. "I'm not seeing any vampires here."

She turns her computer around to face me, images of some of the people who were at the docks expanded. The thing about most alien species being able to disguise themselves as humans is that what they look like doesn't really mean anything. I look at her for an explanation.

"They're no' wearing the hologram projectors."

Perrera leans over and looks at the image for a moment before nodding. "The projectors have to be exposed in order to work. And the tail's still there. None of these people are moving like they've got to take tails into account."

"Okay." Fitz shrugs. "So they're not vampires. The vampire families run big companies. Can't be that hard to hire a moving company."

Sh'lainn frowns. "Would the vampires let uninfected humans handle their technology?"

I… That's a good question. I haven't seen any record of it in the Alliance database. Using humans to expand their personnel base seems like an obvious thing to do. The oni definitely do. Vampires?

Looks like Fitz and Perrera don't know, either.

"And there's another thing." Sh'lainn moves to a new video. "Watch this."

An Alliance agent fires at one of the dock workers-. Sh'lainn stops the image as the plasma bolt narrowly misses him, and-. It's like his whole body is in a funhouse mirror.

"You see this? I think this man is a faun. The power they use for their disguises doesn't cope well when there's a strong magnetic field nearby."

Perrera frowns. "Do vampires work with fauns?"

"About as often as banshees do."

"So…" Fitz frowns. "What are we saying? It wasn't vampires? Okay, but what does that change? They're aliens-. Ah. Present company accepted, no offence intended."

"Some taken."

"And they were smuggling guns."

I take out my pistol and hold it up.

"That's a very nice gun?"

"I don't have a British permit. And I don't remember declaring it when I crossed the border."

"Nick." Fitz leans over and wraps his arm around my shoulders. "Let me tell you something I learned in the CIA. Laws are things you punish other people for breaking."

I slip the gun back into its holster. Thing is, he's not entirely wrong. I knew that the Alliance rode roughshod over local law in order to protect the Earth from hostile aliens. But if we're working for… Governments, couldn't this be solved by a phone call? Someone's got to be in the know.

Fitz snaps his fingers. "Got it! Plane falls, everyone dies!"

"Ah." I frown, because if he's saying what I think he's saying, that could get a lot of people on that airbase killed. "If Trueblood's finished with the planes, we could fly one-."

"No, no, no. That just raises more questions. We need to figure out something where no one wants to ask anything."

I glance at Perrera, but she's… Smiling. No help there.

"Okay?"

"The airbase is on high alert, because it's a military base that's now holding a load of high-tech equipment. But they don't know that that's connected to the agents they're holding, otherwise they'd be in a military prison rather than a police cell."

I nod. They probably haven't tried getting fingerprints from the captured weapons yet, and while fingerprints are unique, actually matching a fingerprint on a surface to one on someone's finger is more an art than a science. If the London police haven't put their records on a searchable computer system yet…

"You see, sometimes… You get a prisoner you don't want to have as a prisoner."

Sometimes, I forget that Fitz used to be in the CIA. And that his honest, open face is just about the best asset he has for deceiving people.

Perrera tilters her head to the side a little. "Okay? And what happens to them?"

"Well, sometimes they end up in someone else's prison. We used to have friends in South America for that. And the Middle East. And sometimes it turns out that someone made a mistake and they were never prisoners in the first place!" He shrugs in mock helplessness. "What can you do? And sometimes you get a bunch of people on a plane… And there's an engine failure."

He shrugs, still smiling.

"These things happen."

Sh'lainn nods her head. "And that's why I don't trust those mechanical death-traps."

Ah. "So..?"

"There's nothing like prisoners suffering a mechanical failure related 'accident' to make everyone involved really forgetful. We bring the prisoners up here using Ministry of Defense documents, load 'em onto a plane and then fly them up. Then we do a mid-air transfer before dropping the plane on anything we want destroyed."

Perrera frowns. "What about the airmen on the base?"

"Oh, we can warn them. Tell them that the plane's coming down and they need to evacuate. Then the plane lands, and they call the Ministry to find out what went on… But there's no one there." He shrugs again. "They'll think it was an MI5 black bag operation. MI5 will say it wasn't, but… Of course they would."

Perrera shrugs. "We've used worse stories."

I nod. "That all sounds disturbingly possible. But we-."

The communicator goes off. Perrera gabs it.

"Agent Perrera. Go."

Trueblood's face appears. He looks pissed.

"The Green Knight is still active in the area. He is very resilient. He took fire from-."

He winces, and the camera moves to show me a medic working on his hand.

"From several plasma cannons without slowing down, and his sword cut through our mechs like they were made of aluminum foil. I've got seven wounded agents and one fatality, and the local police showed up just as we got out of the area of operation. Be careful, don't go anywhere alone and prepare to get out the moment he shows up."

Sh'lainn looks dubious. "Did you run into some fauns, by any chance?"

For an instant he looks angry, then he gets a hold of himself. "That's irrelevant. Trueblood out."

"So…" The screen deactivates and Fitz looks thoughtful. "I heard 'no vampires and good luck with the unstoppable knight'. Everyone else hear that too?"

I sag slightly, sighing. "Thank you, General Rinaker."

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'is keeping'

An attitude that has never had horrible consequences for innocent parties...

18. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

And you don't see any innocent parties around here, do you? So it'll all work out.

Consequences are for other people.

19. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Alliance does seem sketchy as hell and lacking legitmancy from actual governments.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Alright, the Roswell Conspiracies variant timeline is starting to catch my attention.

At first I wasn't that interested in it and thought it was mostly a distraction from what I was after seeing, but as we get more of the characters and conflict introduced it's getting better and more fascinating.

Doccer, Pinklestia, Bolo and 5 others like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, back to Nick Logan and company for this one, I see. After all, Roswaul wouldn't need to be looking through binoculars. And this looks like one doozy of a challenge. Breaking into a foreign military base, extracting or utterly destroying captured materiel and escaping without getting caught. Good luck there, lads and lasses.

Ah, a classic trope: the Upper-Class English Twit. Not gonna fly these days, alas.

Yeah, a bluff with no foundation in reality isn't a good bluff. The best lie is one with a little truth mixed in for seasoning.

...Ah, I think I'm beginning to follow the timeline now. The folks Roswaul was helping yesterday are the dock workers involved in the attack Team Logan was told about.

<sigh> Still laser-focused on everything tying back to the one big enemy, huh?

Don't tell me: The 'Oni' operate out of the Asian regions, especially Japan? :p

I suppose having a fresh pair of eyes looking over footage helps to find inconsistencies...

That seems like something of a drawback going into the Twenty-first Century. Though presumably it would take an intense field at close proximity like getting shot at like that to reveal it.

In other words, no chance in hell.

I know it might be instinct to see all of them as one monolithic enemy, Fitz, but they aren't.

Good point. I doubt they entered the country entirely legally.

Presumably Alliance air transports have some good stealth systems.

Gee, just a little suspicious, isn't it? :rolleyes:

...He intends to pull a Bane? Hope their air transport is a little sturdier than modern aircraft.

The joy of not having a mind as squirrelly as a secret agent's.

No doubt another team is working on getting them out? Or is Team Logan expected to handle that too?

Ah, the pre-connectivity age. When nearly everything forensics-related was done by hand and eye.

And since this is pre-'War on Terror', the seedier side of things hasn't started to be exposed... yet.

In other words, 'disappearing' them into Alliance custody.

I'm sure they do...

To be fair, modern aircraft aren't all that much of an evolution of the first planes, at their core. Lose the thrust pushing you through the air, and, well...

Hoo-boy. Fitz likes the loud solutions, doesn't he?

James Bond would probably approve. Any of them. :rolleyes: ...Yes, I'm an 'It's a Codename' believer...

That will probably be news of the Emerald Knight's appearance...

Ah, I assume that's who Roswaul duelled yesterday, then.

Yep, still carrying the fresh burns from getting his plasma mace smashed up.

...To be fair, only one group made it inside the building. Maybe one guy, possibly. And that one didn't walk out again.

Eh, you guys have protagonist power, you'll work it out.

Well, then. I doubt Roswaul will turn up to interfere with their little plan - likely too busy dealing with the stress of killing someone - but I get the feeling just having the paranoia of thinking he might be out there will result in someone messing up. Though since Fitz's plan isn't exactly a good plan, I'm hoping they don't try to pull it off...

23. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

24. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

So why is the alliance going after the ailens? I thought they were only after hostiles like vampires etc?

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In this series, all mythological creatures are aliens, so they are anti-alien in general.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Okay, I won't.

27. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

When Paul gets the hang of using the ring, I imagine he will go full green lantern. The enemy will never see it coming.

Doccer likes this.
  28. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

Yeah I know, but they work with some if them right?

It's been more than a decade ibthink since I last watched the show so maybe I'm misremembering

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Pretty sure they operate on the belief of guilty unless proven innocent/a non-threat.

Istaran likes this.
  30. Stsword

They had good relations, or the beginning of good relations, with the Conduit, but then the evil aliens pulled a "Let's you and them fight."

The Banshee gal is pretty damn lucky they didn't put an explosive collar on her like she's Harley from the Suicide Squad, because they did that to the Yeti on the team.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023