1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

This is getting very, very interesting. Can't wait for Nick and Paul to meet. A thought just occurred to me, will we meet a Paul that wound up in DC Universe Online? Nick said his famous line and it was brilliant.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Kurai

Kurai Getting out there.

My only nitpick: based on its usage in the show, it's "Thank you" that should be italicised, not the general's name, since that's meant to be the sarcastic part.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy to see the much-missed catchphrase (it's not quite Roswell Conspiracies without it), and it's a very appropriate ending to yet another highly-enjoyable chapter. Thank you very much for your time and effort; speaking personally, I am constantly amazed by the consistency of both the quality and quantity of your output.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It's been a while for me.

How about 'Thank you, General Rinaker'?

4. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Seems good to me.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

6. Kurai

Kurai Getting out there.

That'll work. :)

BrotherofaStudio likes this.
  7. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

i don't know if anyone else has been having this problem or not, but it's been getting harder and harder to keep track of who is who in what timeline. Zoat, i have no idea how you juggle it, you must have a spreadsheet or something to keep track of it all. ever thought about including something along the lines of a dramatis personae to the chapters?

Istaran likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

No, I just forget it half the time and someone here corrects me.

9. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's actually a plot point because spoilers.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  10. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is actually untrue. Fingerprints are unique in the same way snowflakes are, which is to say not at all. It can be a bit hard to find ones that match exactly, because statistics is just like that some times, but it's far from impossible.

Not that I expect bootleg X-Com agents to know that.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  11. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ok so whose point of view was this? Every time I thought it was 1 of the 4 that person talked so whose the 5th perspective?

12. Mr Zoat

Nick Logan.

13. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Turns out Roswell Conspiracies is on Amazon Prime streaming, so I've started watching it. Not bad, so far.

Now I kind of wonder about what will happen when Nick eventually gets a good look at "the Green Knight." Nick has the weird "seeing through disguises" ability, so he may actually see that Paul is human. As far as ways that secret could get revealed, that would create all sorts of fun questions.

14. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

6th February 2013
    11:13 GMT -5

"…impressed by how well these humans have adapted."

I keep trying to ignore Canis, focusing my hearing on the warehouse on the opposite side of the street. Mistress's gang drove their truck here after making their delivery, and I can hear the rattle of the back doors banging against the side of the truck as the shifting weight makes it rock back and forth. If I make a little effort, I can hear it as the metal of the engine contracts as it cools. I can definitely hear the heartbeats and footsteps of the people inside.

What I don't hear are the heartbeats of the people they drove here with the promise of work.

"Truly, when Great Darkseid cracks open this world's crusts to form firepits, they will make for fine lowlies."

I sniff. Fresh…

I've gotten a lot of experience in smelling… Bodies, since this started. Fresh bodies don't smell much different from living people, unless they lost control of their bowels when they died. Then they don't smell much different to someone with incontinence. Older bodies, I can tell roughly how long ago they died by how decayed they are. I didn't hear any shots, or…

Heard more people hanging themselves then-.

Canis flicks me in the forehead.

"Not yet! You are a warrior, and it is only fitting that you embrace the Anti-Life only at the peak of this world's despair."

I look him in the eyes. Should I thank him? He only did it because he thinks things are going to get worse, but… Mom would want me to. Because if he has normal human relationships, maybe that'll help him.

"Thanks."

He's already got his sketchpad out. He's-. Yeah, he's going to draw what my face looked like just then.

"Do not mention it."

I go back to looking at the warehouse. I didn't hear anything that I'd associate with them killing people. I can't smell any dead bodies. I didn't see any zeta radiation.

So where did the people go?

"Canis, is there any New God technology in there?"
    Might Calls To Might.
    He shakes his head. "No. What have you discovered?"

"Most of the people who went in disappeared."

"Is it a meat processing plant?"

"No, I'd smell that a mile away."

"A teleporter?"

"It's not a zeta tube."

"Or a boom tube. I would be astonished if it were a hush tube, but I suppose that some mightier New God might have allowed crumbs to fall from their plate." He frowns thoughtfully. "Speaking of crumbs, I do not think that the insignificant farms in this area would be enough to supply the food we saw doled out. Is the warehouse filled with vittles?"

I sniff again. There is a smell of food, but it's all traces from short term storage. It's nothing like strong enough for there the place to be full up. So… Maybe this is just where they store the truck? Can't smell grease or anything that might mean it's a workshop. I can hear the faint hum of electricity, but that doesn't really mean anything.

"Even if it is, there isn't enough for what they've been handing out."

"A curious fact." He sighs. "Loathe as I am to distract someone from following their passions… We are looking for the laughably-named Mistress. I doubt that she is here."

He's.. right. But something's off about this.

"It's not just about finding her. We need to find out everything about her operation. And this is weird."

"Match, neither of us are infiltrators. It is all I can do to stop myself marching up to one of these lowlies and just demanding her location. And I suspect that your first thought is to charge through the door and see for yourself."

Actually, my first thought was to tell Dick and see what he thinks. But if I had to investigate, yeah, that's what I'd do.

Kon's much better at this stuff than me.

Interesting how that doesn't make me feel worthless, like some things do. Kon being better at being a superhero than me is just a fact of life. Even if I'm more like our father physically, I haven't put the time in with the stuff that's not related to my powers.

I think-.

Wait.

That… Heartbeat. The vibrations…

"His heart's on the wrong side of his chest."

"Unusual, but one in twelve thousand humans has dextrocardia. Unless he needs surgery, I doubt that it matters."

"There's another one. And…" I frown. "The sounds… Aren't moving right."

"They echo wrongly for the internal space?"

I nod. "Yeah. I think there's some kind of a portal in there."

"That is curious. If we are agreed that charging in would not be wise… Perhaps we could volunteer at their next labor drive?"

"Sounds good. Let's-."

Another heartbeat, echoing… Wrong. On the right side of the owner's chest. And I remember…

Anti-matter universe. Their hearts are on the right. What the heck are those guys doing here?

"Something has occurred to you?"

"People from the anti-matter universe have hearts on the right. I just heard a second guy."

"And the chance of two people having such an abnormality in close proximity to one another is low." He frowns thoughtfully. "I wonder how easy it would be to preserve the circulatory system for display?"

I ignore him, listening as the truck accelerates… And then starts to sound like it's coming from a space that shouldn't be there. And then… Gone.

"The truck's gone. I think they're trading with the anti-matter universe."

"That might explain the food. Why would the Syndicate want people? Labor?"

"Maybe." I kinda lost interest in the file when I found out that I didn't have a duplicate. "But they're risking getting exposed to the Anti-Life."

Canis nods. "And Darkseid has not decreed their destruction. Is there an anti-matter Darkseid?"

"I dunno. But it would be a lot easier to move people to a parallel universe than to another planet."

"Would they want the companionship?"

"We can find an Earth no one's using. Where humans died out, or something. But we need to look after people, even if they're not looking after themselves. And the anti-matter universe isn't anything good."

"Then we shall meet up with Robin and plan our attack."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, so the Syndicate is here.

Recruiting.

Given what Harrold said, yes.

I'm picturing a good version of him being something like a Shame Wizard, assuming he uses the Anti-Life.

"want the"

"Then"

16. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Wait, is there some weird bleed-portal-broadcaster thing going on with the Anti-Life and an alternate earth and that's why they can't stop the broadcasting?

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Match again. And side-by-side with Canis? Oh, my, I hope he knows not to take any suggestions Canis makes totally seriously. And boy, kryptonian powers make surveillance easy, don't they?

...Let's just hope He doesn't get that far, shall we?

One of the drawbacks of enhanced senses. Having to smell people. And I doubt bathing is a regular priority for people in Gotham these days.

Naturally he'd pick up on the Anti-Life creeping in.

And it is polite. Whatever his reasons, he did help you there.

At the peak of depression, or at the moment of surprise? Heck, why not both?

So, people go in, but they aren't inside, and no-one's seen them come out again?

Just be careful pinging for it, though. They might notice you.

The question now becomes 'how' and 'where?'

And he's probably not joking about that, given kryptonian senses.

Still, there are other kinds of teleportation systems out there. Like Dolmen gates.

Good point there, Canis. So, they're sending people out from there, and getting food in.

And the mystery of it doesn't interest you, Canis?

And sometimes, following a hunch can pay off.

To be fair, there's little they could do to stop either of you. Unless they do have some high-end tech in there Match hasn't noticed.

Wonder if Kon's thought of becoming 'Wonder Boy' properly, and letting Match have the 'Superboy' name yet? :p

Oh-ho! A wild Clue appears!

On the other hand... A reversed physiology is a hint of another party.

Oooh, Canis on the ball.

...Do you have a change of clothes to put on Canis, or do you expect them to not notice your armour? Also: Call Robin first...

Ah, Match has it, I think.

Ah, an earlier plot thread comes back in play. Earth -14 is still interdicted. Therefore this is most likely Earth -16.

:confused: ...Not the best time, Canis...

Okay, Time to call Robin, fellows. This just jumped out of your paygrade...
    Canis: o_O "We get paid for this work?"

Interesting that Earth -14 didn't have a prototype Ultraboy. Maybe his physiology there was more compatible with humans?

...Relatively speaking, anyway.

Ah, finally. A bit of good sense. The question is whether Robin has clearance to make that call.

Isn't it always the way how a Team mission ends up getting more complicated? Hopefully the Earth -16 Syndicate will be reasonable about this when they discover their human trafficking has been discovered. ;) ...Okay, maybe not, but Harrolds did seem a sensible fellow. With any luck this can be sorted out with a minimum of 'Let's you and him fight'.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I wonder what will happen if Canis is exposed to the white light

Might he experience a spiritual conversion?

boo600, Vorian, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  19. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Missing a period here.

Interesting that this is how they're going about things though. Definitely not the kind of strategy I was expecting out of them, but I suppose it makes sense. Makes it more likely that Mistress or some other active, and native, party takes the blame for people disappearing and never being found again than just abducting people from their homes or whatever.

So long as exactly what happened this chapter didn't occur anyways.

Vorian, Ardy, Wheenesss and 4 others like this.
  20. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

It's interesting to see here how for all his...him-ness...Canis is observant and thoughtful in the field, even (especially) when it's outside his usual specialties.

21. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Never underestimate an art critic's unlimited potential for analysis.
    :V

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Darn. I wanted to quote 'every word of what you just said was wrong', but then I did a search and remembered where it came from.

So I'll limit myself: no.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I really hope Earth -16 is underestimating the threat of the Anti-Life and this bites them big time.

Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  24. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Guys, remember the PoV we got of the Syndicate from Earth -16 and what we got about Sinestro's and Power Ring's (the guy with Varthoom) plan. It seemed to be to take people from Earth 16 because they are more likely to follow then try and lead and it looked like they were aiming to start a Yellow Corps (with Weaponer Lysis). Earth 16 being Anti-Lifed was remarked upon only as much as it would make people eager to leave Earth 16 for Earth -16 (and thus essentially place themselves in Sinestro's and Power Ring's authority).

Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The only question now is: does Lysis have the tech needed to prevent Anti-Life infection? I wouldn't think so, seeing as the Maltusians can't guarantee immunity towards it, but maybe Mr Zoat will surprise us.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or they had similar results, but the Syndicate didn't discover him.

27. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘shearing’
    ‘the edge of the sword’
    ’shears’
    Was going to ask whether there is such a thing as a permit for a handgun, but then I realised that foreign government agents and native government agents can presumably get them.
    It surprises me that Canis knows this. I wonder why he studied human biology? Has this come up before?

Enjoyed the Roswell chapters. Cool to see these neat little settings that I have never heard of.
    Had to think for a hot minute to remember why the anti-matter folk would be here. I guess Mistress is an anti-matter person? Alt-version of a high-tier superhero?

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

If Zoat was inspired by the storyline I think he was, this is a slave run.

And as wild as it is, depending on which Crime Syndicate figures are in charge of this, it could be an improvement.

boo600, Cuchulin and Duke Long like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He mentioned trying to preserve the organs for an art piece, so he may have researched human biology before so that he knows how to make a human body into a piece of art.

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Britain does have handgun licences. They're not easy to get, and they wouldn't allow you to wander around with one, but they do exist. Foreign agents... Don't know.