1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I will eat them.

2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There was also that show about Cold Cases were crimes took decades to get solved. Basically there are a lot of cases that for one reason or another take ages to get solved. Heck one took so long that everyone involved was dead and solving it was just to find who did it.

Isn't hunting licenses and tours a profitable business?

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, but they the detectives in that one managed to solve it in a short time after getting it, so I'm not sure if it fully counts.

4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I think there just aren’t enough people who are interested in/capable of hunting deer in the UK or willing to come to the UK. If it was as easy as just reducing taxes on hunting or something, I don’t think the government would be having trouble.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eat faster then Imperial, having deer at all in the near future is depending on it since you refuse to try and fix the planet the easy way.

6. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Yeah, that's bullshit. You can't keep only the beneficial aspects, you can either keep the equilibrium or you can change it. And once you've let the equilibrium reshape itself around one change, just reverting that change is unlikely to restore the previous equilibrium. Removing an apex predator is probably more likely than anything else to revert cleanly, since you won't have a die-off of whatever was eating the predator, but the balance of trees will have changed (and also because after Britain wiped out its wolves it cut down all the forests to fuel the factories), and the balance of other prey that wolves would eat, and so on, and so on.

The only real advantage trying to restore the old equilibrium has is a political one, and not always that.

There is no easy way. Just a way one particular ideology would like to believe is easy.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Hence Wolves.

There are never enough people that want to hunt deer or at least are able to bag enough deer to make that work

Not really, also hunting deer (especially Legally) tends to be cold, uncomfortable and mildly dangerous as you kind of have to get up really early then wait around for hours perched in a tree for a chance to shoot a deer. You can cheat by leaving out food they like or get them to freeze up using headlights, but that is illegal and you still tend to have to get up very, very early then walk a long way into the woods.

8. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's objectively untrue, there are many easy ways to fix the problems. They just fall under the banner of Rule 8 and aren't the most traditionally moral choice.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Lantern Conspiracies (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

November 4th, 1999
    00:08 GMT

"…CLEAR, EVERYONE GET CLEAR!"

I breathe a sigh of relief as the airmen scramble to get away from the path of the falling Super Hercules. Since we couldn't get enough explosive onboard to make sure that the Alliance equipment would be completely destroyed, I've got to stay near the base so I can activate the explosives Fitz hid in them at the same time. I'm not sure people won't spot the residue, but he was pretty confident that when a plane crashes into something and it collapses, no one's going to believe that something else caused the collapse.

And below a certain level, an active 'conspiracy' subculture actually helps the Alliance by making the truth sound ridiculous.

The whole thing makes me feel kind of dirty, but the Alliance can't work without secrecy.

I just wish my part didn't need me to drop planes on friendly air bases.

Watching carefully through my binoculars, I just about spot the moment Sh'lainn blasts her way out of the cockpit and flies out, using the smoke as cover. We couldn't risk it not hitting the target, and none of us knew how to reprogram the autopilot. Okay, now I just need to wait-.

I wince as the plane slams into the hangar where they're keeping the Alliance gear. Wait a second so it looks like fuel cooking off and detonate.

And there she blows.

So, what now? Trueblood's plane is halfway across the Atlantic by now, and Fitz needs to get out of British airspace before they send their jets up. Rinaker isn't going to expect me back in Roswell for a couple of days, since I'm here under my own name and with my own passport.

Trueblood may have ran into the Green Knight, but he didn't run into a vampire.

I want to take a look at the docks. See if I can spot anything while I wait for a seat on a regular plane.

I pull a flashlight out of my coat and point it upwards, flashing it three times in quick succession. That should be enough for Sh'lainn to-.

"There you are."

She gracefully descends through the air, hair wild and eyes glowing. The moment she touches down they go back to normal, and I hand her her coat.

"Everything go alright?"

She puts the coat on, disguising her catsuit. "I can point one o' those contraptions at the ground just fine, thank you very much."

"I wasn't doubting your ability to crash it-."

"Hmpf."

She folds her arms across her chest and starts marching back towards the car. A rental, not something that we might have to blow up later. I glance back at the base, where they're already fighting the fire-. The fire I caused, and then turn away and follow-.

Green-. That's a green sword. And the armor the guy's wearing it's wearing is pretty green as well. Trueblood said that he's tough but he didn’t say how fast he is. My gun is in my holster.

He hasn't see Sh'lainn. Do I call-?

"Nick..?"

She turns around, sees the Knight and her hands come up two bright beams of light fly from her palms and knock him flying! Gun out, step back, the Knight-. Doesn't look hurt as he gets up-.

And… Waves his hands across his chest, shakes his head and… Points his right fore finger and middle finger at his left wrist. A shield appears on his left arm and he keeps that pointed at Sh'lainn while he keeps his sword pointed at me.

I edge closer to Sh'lainn. "No warning this time?"

"I don't-. He wasn't trying to kill you."

"Good to know. So can you detect maiming..?"

"Keep asking stupid questions and we'll find oot."

But he's not attacking. He's not advancing. He's-.

"You don't know this guy personally, do you?"

Because he's looking at you. Those gestures were aimed at you. I got a sword, but you got a communication attempt. Because even if he doesn't know you, he knows banshees. And he knows the Alliance. But he might not know that I'm an Alliance agent-. Except for the gun I'm pointing at him.

He opens his right hand and his sword vanishes. Then he points his index finger up and makes a circling motion with it before pointing it at.. me.

Ah. Some kind of… Sign language? I don't recognise the gesture-.

"He wants to know who you are." I glance at Sh'lainn. "It's British sign language."

"Okay." Which is a lot more different from American sign language than I assumed it would be. "What was the cross arms thing?"

"'No police'. He was trying to warn me about you. I don’t think he's used to Alliance agents and banshees working together."

I make eye contact with the Knight. "Can you understand what I'm saying?"

He nods. The sword hasn't reappeared, and if he wasn't trying to kill me a moment ago…

"Are you working for the vampires?"

He shakes his head and swings his arms horizontally across his chest again. Then he raises his right fore finger and middle finger-

I know that gesture.

- and points them at his neck.

"Vampire. So there are no vampires here."

He points to himself, makes like he's climbing a rope, and then the vampire sign again.

"He hates vampires."

"So who were the weapons for?"

He brings his hands together at his chest and then pulls them apart, then makes a claw with his right hand and presses it into his left palm.

"Ah… Big contract?"

Claw again, two fingers twisting around, then he lets his shield vanish so he can lock his fingers together and move his hands in a circle.

Sh'lainn frowns curiously. "I don't know what that means."

"Can you guess?"

"The last sign was 'American', but I don't know what a 'second American contract'-."

"The Second Amendment. You're saying that whoever bought them has a right to them, so you're not going to tell me."

He signs 'no policeman' again. And then he makes a gesture like he's trying to wave me away. Right. He knows who the Alliance are, but he clearly doesn't think we have any right to anything.

"Did you kill an Alliance agent?"

He nods.

"Why?"

Claw gesture enveloping upraised forefinger, then taps his middle left finger.

"He attacked an innocent. Which I can't exactly say surprises me."

"Okay, but what innocent?"

Oh, 'contract second American'. Thanks.

"So they found the people who bought the weapons. But they only had them to defend themselves." He nods. "Against who?"

He points to me.

I guess this is what being The Man feels like.

"Nick… If the Knight can survive being shot by plasma cannons, why do you think Trueblood only had one agent die?"

"Because the rest left without attacking an innocent." The Knight just watches me. "Are you planning on stopping us leaving?"

He makes a show of looking at the burning air base, then turns back and shakes his head, repeating the 'go away' sign.

"Okay then." I put my gun back in its holster and open the car door. "Let's hope we don’t see each other again."

I sit down and close the door. In the wing mirror, I see him nod.

That… Was strange.

I put the car in drive and pull my cell out of my pocket.

"Kraker. I need data on London shipping."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

ran -> run ?
    Remove the extra "
    assume -> assumed

11. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

Ran is correct, it's past tense. He is describing an event in the past that already happened.

moralrelativity likes this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'And then'.

13. OrbitL

OrbitL Derp

Aren't forefinger and index finger the same finger?

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Nick, Nick, Nick... :rolleyes: Such an American plan. Surprised the Emerald Knight let it crash, but just because he has a Ring doesn't mean he's faster than sound, huh? And if he'd stopped it, they'd just try something else. Something more likely to get people hurt...

Pfft. I guess the 'X-Com' games never came out in this world. Or he'd have to rethink that statement. Then again, he doesn't seem the gaming type anyway.

Lady's got guts. Though her ability to fly is useful in this case, I suppose.

Well, something did blow up, like I predicted yesterday... :rolleyes:

Which is telling. Start joining the dots, fellah.

Good, he's not taking things on his boss' word.

Some races kind of won the super-power lottery, huh?

Admittedly - from my meager GTA Online experience - the larger aircraft handle like right pigs in the air when they're in good shape. :p Never mind after a little creative sabotage.

Finish that statement wisely, young man.

Ah, Roswaul has arrived. A little late to save the evidence, but still...

Like he didn't know she was there before he landed. Thank you, Power Ring sensors.

Not a mnemonic gesture, I assume. You know, like in Mass Effect, when a Biotic ally uses Lift, they make a 'lifting up' gesture?

But he was still closer to Nick than you'd have liked, eh?

I assume she has a psychic ability to detect intent.

Heh. Easy assumption to make.

This would be so much easier if Roswaul could just talk to them, but that would give the game away far too early.

Roswaul using his Ring to access an internet site to learn the right movements, I guess.

It's amazing at the differences in styles and 'accents' when it comes to sign languages.

The sword was a warning not to try anything funny, I suspect.

Yeah, I'll bet he's making his thoughts on them clear.

...Very clear. :D

...Or maybe pulling a rope downwards to lift something. Subtle.

Good question. Well noticed of you, Nick.

Go on...

Heh. Sometimes that happens. Not everyone can be uber-fluent in every language needed.

Americans and their guns... Not hard to work out.

Well, you technically are the bad guys in this particular situation.

Damning, but wait...

Amazing how much you can say with a few gestures, isn't it?

...Gee, maybe you might consider that not all aliens are against you? :rolleyes:

Take a guess, lawman.

Ever wonder if you're the bad guy, Nick?

I half imagine Roswaul giving him a subtle rebuke in that posture.

Bit late, yeah. But no, I think you'll be meeting again before long...

And no doubt Roswaul will be looking you up before long.

Not letting this go, eh? Good man. Look deeper than the carefully spun briefings you're given.

Well, not a terrible first meeting. I did find the Emerald Knight using sign language to avoid having to talk amusing. Lucky one of them could understand him, or he'd have had to start writing in the air. :p Still, Good to see Nick not letting this information go unconfirmed. Perhaps he'll find something useful out in the process. Learning not every unaligned alien is bad might be important.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  15. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

While the brief lesson in sign language is interesting I still have no clue why GK-Paul is pretending to be mute.

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

So he can maintain his disguise as the green knight and keep people guessing about exactly what (or who) he is. The people he's dealing with have deep intelligence networks and this Paul is vulnerable, especially while he's sleeping.

17. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

The malthusian he got this job from used to run around in green armor and never talked.

Paul is copying him so the other races think he's the same person and are therefore willing to trust his help.

18. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’my binoculars’
    You can’t keep all of and only the beneficial aspects, no. I thought that was obvious from the way I was talking about wolves specifically, given that they do present some small danger to people, which is clearly not beneficial.

Reverting changes is unlikely to restore precisely the original equilibrium, but it is certainly possible to move further towards the original equilibrium in a beneficial way. I will admit that I am not entirely educated on specifically the reintroduction of wolves, but I have been taught about other nature-based solutions which, even in isolation, do actually move the local environment in the direction of the natural dynamic equilibrium in a valuable way, for example, allowing trees to grow at the edge of a river obviously doesn’t restore the whole equilibrium, but it does still reduce flood risk and severity, and probably biodiversity though that wasn’t focused on.

The balance of forests has changed, but there are efforts to regrow the forests (which are inhibited by the deer), and we didn’t cut down ALL the forests, just most of them. There are still forests for wolves to live in, though I don’t know enough about wolves to say whether they’d stay in the forests 95% of the time, or if they would venture out of them.
    I’m not really sure if there’s any need to worry about the balance of other prey, since we actually want them to eat the deer instead of other prey. I’m not sure whether a wolf can get all of its five a day from eating deer, though.

I don’t know enough about the wolf reintroduction to say for sure whether it will work properly or whether it has only political benefits, but it is simply not true to say that similar attempts have only had political benefits. Beavers were recently reintroduced to the UK, and research indicates that they do in fact provide real benefits. Also similarly to the beavers, I expect that wolves would be introduced on a test-scale first, and if the test fails presumably all of the wolves will be killed. The government is not smart, but they at least have scientists advising them who aren’t idiots.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    HAH!

You should see our pointless badger culls.

20. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Oh boy.
    OH BOY!

Well, i'm not suprised that the crashing plane alone wasn't enough to get the job done.
    You know what they say about jet-fuel and steel beams.

21. Kurai

Kurai Getting out there.

Well, there is the whole "get physically and mentally poisoned by constant exposure to technology" aspect (which, admittedly, raises several questions about how the banshees got here, but was an interesting take on faerie races' traditional vulnerability to "cold iron," nonetheless).

A very nice take on Nick's traditional mantra, intended or not. :D

Her species has a psychic ability to detect impending death, actually; Sh'lainn is especially sensitive to Nick's, particularly as the series goes on (though she once predicted the deaths of all Alliance agents within twenty-four hours; Rinnaker's response was a sardonic "I don't see a reason to be concerned - after all, as I understand it, she's predicted the death of Agent Logan several times."), but it's their stand-out trait. The flight and sonic blasts are somewhat secondary.

The man was a professional bounty hunter, prior to joining the Alliance - observational and deductive skills are a must-have. :D

Arguably, that's Nick's defining character trait . . .

And to Mr. Zoat, may I say again how much I appreciate Sh'lainn and Nick's characterizations - I can actually hear their banter in my head, it's so authentic. :)

. . . I admit, I sometimes find I prefer your side-stories to the main plot (depending on the episode and crossover elements in question), but I will be extremely sorry to let this one go.

Cuchulin, CTrees, BR549 and 7 others like this.
  22. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Well, they've met and they will of course meet again. This is was very interesting, a touch ominous I find since we are seeing their first meeting from Nick's point of view, but I like it. Paul hates vampires, if this was mentioned for other Pauls before it's news to me. Except for the Black Lantern Paul that wound up in Buffy the Vampire Slayer but even then, he was hunting them out of necessity. Speaking of which, we haven't seen that Paul in a while, any chance we might see him again?

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

He could just make words with his ring, but this is more mysterious, I guess. RosPaul keeping up the grand Paul tradition of being complicated :D

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"thing"

"the guy's wearing is pretty green"

25. Mr Zoat

I assumed that they reached Earth through long ranged teleportation.
    Well, darn. I try writing things that people will hate. I'll just have to try harder in future. I've got it!
    Thank you, corrected.

26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yet people still do it. It seems this is another Brexit problem. Why hunt deer in the UK were is cheaper and or easier somewhere else?

Go to hunt boar pigs in La Patagonia and also enjoy the view. Do some tourism, is really cheap thanks to the super inflation there.

Yes,despite the inflation being higher that Venezuela they insist in not calling it Hyper Inflation.

27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

True, but not relevant. BSL is completely unrelated to ASL; ASL descends from French Sign and there isn't enough contact for them to borrow vocabulary back and forth. They don't even share the alphabet for fingerspelling - BSL uses a two-handed system for letters and ASL a one-handed system which is basically identical to the French fingerspelling.

Gestural languages are currently in the same regional dialect state that spoken languages were in before the advent of widespread literacy; there's no real reason for most people to bother with anything other than their local dialect.

28. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

I completely forgot about the Roswell conspiracy show, thanks for the return of nostalgia!

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I stand corrected. I'll fix that up.

30. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Would you believe that for the first chapter or so of the alien conspiracies plotline I was thinking it might be from that supergirl television series where the only supers are aliens.

dw7thdoctor likes this.