1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"would offering"

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A properly private meeting, I see. Not 'A discussion with several guards in the room'... Which shows how much trust they had in Percival that he could be allowed to be alone with their leader. Now, let's see if the Emerald Knight can earn it for himself.

Well, that's a fine way to start off. At least it settles that difficulty.

...Explains the comment about 'being sensitive about his height' from yesterday. Presumably Percival's shell was a little stouter in the belly.

Nice to be able to speak for once while wearing the armour, eh?

I assume simple telekinesis like that is a common ability for the Banshee. Presumably how Sh'lainn flew off the plane earlier.

And once more, we're reminded that Maltusians are an old, old species.

...Oh, there's definitely history there. Perhaps a little romantic attraction on her part.

I'm guessing this is why Percival stayed home. :p

What, you aren't curious about him?

Regular deliveries from the modern world, perhaps? Even if they can't use stuff like computers to access the internet, they can still appreciate books and the like.

Though I suspect their operations are a little more defensively oriented. Preventing hostile parties from finding their access locations and the sort.

And the more you use the Ring, the better you'll be at using it. Nothing like Earth Bullshit™ for power-levelling lanterns.

Ah. Not a happy parting, then.

Well, that's a bonus. Though they do know about the Emerald Knight now...

I mean... She's quite the attractive lady... And maltusians do have all the needs of a sapient species.

...Aw. Makes sense, I guess. She'd probably have been a lot more powerful if she was part-maltusian.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were slowly nudging human technology up a bit, for whatever reasons.

They've probably already noticed the increased amounts of electromagnetic signals crossing the world, as transmissions become more widespread. I'm guessing that's part of the reason they live underground.

So, the girl was close as a niece to you. Yeah, I suspect no-one was happy after she left.

But she wanted to be. Let's hope her protection stays effective.

Let the younger ones who might have some wanderlust have controlled excursions, eh? See if they think the modern world is as nice as they think it is or not...

A fresh pair of eyes can always spot the issues you might be too close to notice.

Yeah, armed strike squads does seem a little more than 'regulation'. Though given some of the parties involved...

Sadly, I doubt it. Not if their leadership is as compromised as it appears to be.

Since, you know, they're not exactly a warlike people. Despite being able to fly and shoot energy blasts. They're still as squishy as humans are, though?

Imagine the faces of the Alliance folks, though, when, say, England comes out and declares 'Yes, we've been in contact with extra-terrestrial beings.' The screams might be audible in the caverns. :D

'Conduit', eh? I'm guessing that's the Faun-folk and goblins. Or a group we haven't seen yet.

Somehow, I suspect her letter to Percival will be sweet and scathing in equal measures. The lady seems to have taken his absence a little personally. Still, giving the Emerald Knight an 'in' with other peaceful non-terrestrial groups will be a bonus. And Sh'lainn can serve as a reasonably friendly point of contact with the Alliance, if he feels the need to do so...

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not necessarily.

Maltusians seem to become fairly robotic in their behavior after a certain amount of time, so he may have lost any desires.

5. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

This works, but maybe it should be, ‘so I’m going to’?
    ’make the situation’

Relyt33, Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  6. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

I like everything about this but the part where you play at being mute for a dumb as fuck reason. It's annoying, pointless, and he comes across as an idiot. You could have the ring speak for you, you have buy or construct a simple fucking voice changer, you could make construct signs with words on them, or just fucking talk.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Negotiations seem to have gone rather well between Mab and Paul, really interested in seeing how things go. Other than Rinaker blowing a gasket when he finds out. In regards to Magitech and Biotech, I don't think the Banshee have enough technology for it to even be considered Magitech. As for Biotech, what I had in mind (Olkari from Voltron legendary defender, Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars and the Maximals from Transformers Beast Machines) I already stated and agree doesn't exist in Roswell Conspiracies. Except when Sh'lainn was affected by the Iron Death and was mutating the technology around her but that's not a good thing. Has that happened yet offscreen?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Making complex constructs with a green ring requires that the person doing so accurately pictures everything about them. The SI doesn't have anything like the level of understanding of a voice changer effective enough to be worth using that he would need to generate a construct of one. Making construct words would distract him from his armour construct.

9. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

this is something that i've noticed with the way you describe the Green Knight's mindset going into battle. are the ring AI's really that different between the colors of the spectrum? it feels like the Orange ring AI acts as a turbo processor for the SI's mind. i understand the argument of needing to focus on all of the individual parts of the mechanism, but doesn't the ring hold the schematic, rather than the mind of the user? like when the Illustres forms cold gun constructs, he's not forming all the components in his mind and focusing on them in the middle of a battle with Reach ships, right? i suppose the yellow ring that Renegade holds is different as well then, since it speaks in Sinestro's voice. is this all because of the differences in the users? is it a difference in ring colors, and therefore AI? is it a difference in ring forgers?

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

The problem comes from using the colour. Orange Lantern doesn't want something? Nothing happens. A green light user has to focus on the image of the thing they want in order to make the construct form. Processing power has nothing to do with it.

11. Kurai

Kurai Getting out there.

Yes to the first - as I remember, it's presented as being something like the Underground Railroad; a support group of and for the more peaceful species (or members of species) that tries to keep themselves off the radar of both the Alliance and the more aggressive elements (the vampires, the lycanthropes, et al). Hence, safehouses, covert hospitals like the attacked one, and so forth.

. . . And that is FAR more reasonable than I ever remember Queen Mab being (she's normally more in line with her Dresden Files namesake in attitude). Percival must've meant a great deal to her, for her to be so neutral to a human. I'm intrigued.

12. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

And the reason the Ring AI can't talk for him to keep up this pointless game is because?

13. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

so, to use a different example, if Alan wants to maintain a 1TB file on his ring that is a Universe Wiki, he has to constantly be hoping that the file exists and stays correct? a Zamaron has to intensely love that file and it will stay consistent?

the whole thing is wild. i mean i'm perfectly happy to make suspensions of disbelief so none of this is an issue for me. it's all just so absurd and i love it.

14. Mr Zoat

Yes, but she's normally dealing with the Alliance or vampires. When the Shadoan turned up she was perfectly happy to work with Walter Logan, and just before that she'd been willing to work with the new leader of Intracom.
    No.

Maintaining a record and not doing anything with it is fine.

15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That was the result of deep diving into the Green Light and self lobotomy they did to themselves after a great many disasters and since Percival Predates a lot of that...

mastermenthe and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not really.

Other Maltusians, who haven't connected to the Green Light, or any light, apparently lack much of a personality as well and only use a fake one to help them deal with mortals.

mastermenthe and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I looked for it, but eventually it came to the point i could use my energy to keep looking or mow the lawn like I've been having to do for days.

So I might have imagined it.

Doccer likes this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The problem is Mr Zoat invented the whole "The Ring AI does the heavy lifting" thing himself and then only applied it to specific ring colors.

So you have Orange Rings running on Zoat logic, and Green Rings running on original logic.

19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's bad writing. Also we really haven't seen anyone nit connected to at least one of the lights unless that's post Flash point abd you know how Zoat feels about that

Prince Charon likes this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's still what Zoat wrote.

Though it has been mentioned many times since we first saw that Hinon's crotchety grandma personality wasn't real that other Maltusians, even ones not connected to a light, have false personalities because of their very, very old age.

mastermenthe and Ngamer11 like this.
  21. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Their uncaring for his silence argued that it might have been said off screen.
    Mr Zoat
    Did Percival ever say that? Was he a silent Green Knight?

22. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Hinon didn't went to live on Earth even before humans were a thing, Percival is either the Maltusian equivalent of an Xeno anthropologist or just hates the others of his species due to reasons.

I don't think even the White Light was on Earth by the time he moved there.

Unless he is actually on Earth because the White Light is on Earth.

As someone who keeps interacting with younger lived species all the time, unlike most Maltusians, his kind old man personality is probably not faked. Not to mention he used to be playing "Hero" so he is not indifferent to others problems.

Uh.. is he the Maltusian equivalent of Diogenes? Going to live on Earth when it was so primitive, lives a simple life by choice, used to date a queen, is very wise and is advicing a "young knight".

23. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

6th February 2013
    21:35 GMT -5

Okay…

I look around, but there's no sign of Luthor. No oddly muffled sounds that would tell me there was a hologram or illusion, no radiation from a teleporter or exotic monitoring device and no bald man in a business suit. I'm definitely where he wanted me to be-.

I wince slightly as I really open up my vision powers, just in case Ultrawoman sent someone after me. No one I can see.

"Luthor? I'm here?"

There's a tiny shimmer that I probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't already looking for anything out of the ordinary, and then… He appears.

I guess… Objectively, a yellow 'L' isn't any worse than a yellow 'S'. The beard's… Ah, an interesting choice. There's a joke on the internet about goatee beards being a sure sign that someone's an evil duplicate, but this Lex Luthor is a good duplicate.

He stares at me for a couple of seconds.

"Are you ready to-?"

"No kryptonite radiation. But you flew here. Did you use some sort of device?"

"Ah, I've got a kinetic belt back home, but I didn't bring it in case the CSA got hold of it."

"You keep your powers-. What powers them, then?"

"Normally I'd say 'sunlight'… But according to Jor-El, the radiation-."

"A different trigger-wavelength, of course. Objectively, there's no real reason-. Even a substance as energetic as kryptonite couldn't provide enough power to allow Ultraman to do what he could do. Fortunately, my equipment is designed to cope with empowered kryptonians."

I increase my visual wavelengths again, just in case. Robin said he was a good guy, but he also said that the good guys here didn't seem to know what they were doing. He's definitely scanning me with something, but it doesn't look-.

"No need to be concerned. I'm using my neural analyser to decipher your thought processes. Ah, you're… Younger than you look. Honest, though, and… Without the aggression I'm used to seeing. What do you call yourself?"

"Match."

"A curious choice."

I shrug. "I was made to be a match for Superman. Our Ultraman. They didn't get it right and I went mad with anger. After I got fixed… I don't get angry much."

"You were made in a laboratory… As a weapon?" I nod. "My dear boy, that's dreadful. I had thought that things like that wouldn't happen on your Earth, but I see that I was being excessively optimistic. Again."

"It happens, but everyone involved gets in big trouble when people find out about it." Batman did a lesson on facial tells, and as far as I can tell he's serious about how much that troubles him. "You're really not like our Lex Luthor."

"I dread to ask…"

"He's an evil businessman who somehow hasn't ever been convicted for anything serious."

"I suppose it could have been worse." … "No, it's actually a bit of a relief. His evil is at least regulated by a functioning society he has the sense not to destroy."

"I guess. So, what did you want to talk about?"

"With the information available to you, do you genuinely believe that this is in the best interest of both our Earths?"

"I… Don't know. I'm not even a superhero, really. I just.. had to get involved when the world started falling apart." He smiles a little, but… What else could I do? "I've heard… Ah, a friend of mine, talk about what it takes to change societies like this, and it's… It's not nice stuff. You know?"

"Yes, I know very well."

"But it works. That friend? There's a whole area of space that used to be… Just as evil as this Earth is. And now it's not. They had to do some… They wiped out two whole species. But it worked, and… Other than, like, taking every single member of both species and building some sort of… Prison planet for them, I don't know how else they could have done it. But… Even if that was the best thing overall… I don't think I could have done it." I shrug awkwardly. "Because wiping out two species is…"

"It's brutal. I understand your hesitancy very well. It's never possible to know in advance whether the atrocity you commit… Will actually achieve the end you seek. And if it doesn't, then all that blood… How certain was your friend?"

"He only wiped out one of those species. And they were clones of this one warlord… You'd have to ask him about it."

Does it count if there's still a few of them left?

"My issue is this: I know that what I'm doing isn't working. The CSA reigns supreme and Ultrawoman has made more progress toward fixing the problem in a month than I have in… Too many years to recall. But are we really so damned that only a programmable virus can save us? And can I trust the CSA with a technology so open to abuse?"

"Ah… Honestly? If someone told me you were, I wouldn't be able to argue against it. If there even is a biological difference. She didn't say anything about finding one, she just assumed that it exists."

"The alternative being that our civilization is so vile that this is what it produces, generation after generation."

"Or it's something else. Magic, or a telepathic field effect? Once the Anti-Life is gone, we could probably help. See if there's a less evil way to turn your world around."

"It would be nice to have allies again. But I feel dreadfully apprehensive."

"You're going to be living on a world with the Anti-Life. Apprehension is-."

"Oh, I'm not worried about that. My neural feedback generator will detect and purge foreign mental contamination."

"I-? Is that something you can make more of?"

He frowns thoughtfully. "It's an intelligent system. It needs to be trained, and it's complicated enough that you couldn't outfit five billion people."

"No, but for a few dozen people who keep getting exposed while they fight Mannheim and the Justified…"

"I haven't field tested it, but… It should help." He sighs. "Alright. I agree." He holds out his right hand. "Take my hand."

I take-.

Space twists, and we're outside the warehouse they're using for the portals.

"Alexander!" Ultrawoman walks over, smiling. "I almost thought you weren't coming."

"I'm still torn about it. But you know how I am when people need my help."

"And these ones will actually feel grateful for what you do! Now, I won't be going through myself because I have no desire to expose myself to the Anti-Life, but we'll keep the portals where they are while you and the young people negotiate with their bosses."

"I understand. Do you have a way to communicate through the portals?"

"No, you'll have to send a messenger. Or work it out yourself."

"I'm sure I can come up with something. Very well, Match. We-."

"Before you go. I was wondering why a man of your intelligence never joined the CSA just to moderate their actions. Given how often Ultraman did-."

"Because I have moral principles." Lex is glaring at her. "I wouldn't expect you to understand."

"Does a desire to do good that doesn't translate into good outcomes actually matter?"

Lex's expression hardens. "And now you've proven that you don't. And I don't think I could explain it to you so that you would understand. Good day."

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Match meeting with Alexander Luthor? Probably the safest option, given that any countermeasures Luthor could employ would target local Kryptonians. Also, he's the most mobile of the Team present...

I'm guessing some of the local electromagnetic wavelengths he can perceive aren't pleasant to his senses.

A very old-fashioned fellow, it seems. His design style is very Golden Age. :p But then, when you can build technology straight from Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon... Why not dress the part?

No doubt conducting some deep scans. Wonder if Match has similar DNA to Ultraman?

Definitely a good idea. Though now I wonder if Icon has a local counterpart who also got stuck on Earth... And whether he tried to get off-world ASAP when he realised what it was like.

Let's hope the local sun isn't bad for him. Hopefully a bit of sunbathing back home should see him right.

I mean, when every motherfucker is out for themself, and you're considered neurally divergent simply because you have empathy for other people... It'd be hard to find your way.

Not exactly the most inspiring name, is it? He really needs to find something more... Heroic.

Given he's probably well aware of how much of a 'world of cardboard' he lives in, I'm not surprised.

For one thing, Lex would never let anything show like that.

Don't forget, he's also a super-genius scientist. Though that's probably not as important these days.

Well, Lex wouldn't destroy it unless there was some tangible benefit in it for him.

You mean OL? Yes, I rather suspect he would also know...

Wow, Mitchell's being real talkative. Something about Alexander that just makes you want to be honest, huh?

True. The Citadelians were OL's work. The Psions? That's on the rest of Vega's populations.

And that's still a big assumption to make. What if they find out that there's nothing different in the flesh?

Honestly, they're kind of lucky their DNA is even similar. The Source works in mysterious ways and all that...

Well, that's entirely natural. You have no idea what the world on the other side is like normally, after all.

...That sounds improbable. Also very useful. But hey, Comic Book super-science, huh?

Dang. So not all that useful.

As long as it isn't locked solely to his way of thinking. Or triggers some kind of negative feedback loop that plunges people deeper into Anti-Life depression...

Convenient.

Probably so well that she can plan around his responses...

...Man, Batman is going to blow a gasket at this rate...

And I have no doubt that he could. Superior-level intellect, after all...

And he didn't want to dirty himself by associating with them? Or is he a little worried that he might become more like them eventually?

Yeah, no love lost between them...

So, I give it maybe a day before Luthor manages to develop his own dimensional tunnelling technology and communication devices. Assuming he gets the chance over there, and all hell doesn't break loose. Canis is still working under his own initiative, after all. And Batman is really going to be in for a surprise when he finally hears what the Team got up to.

"You keep your powers-. What powers them, then?"
    I'm using my neural analyser to decipher your thought processes.

25. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

I always love good Luthors especially if they have a luscious red mane

Vorian, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 4 others like this.
  26. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thank you so much for that link. I did not know that this was the father of Alex Luthor, father to the Infinite Crisis. It explains so much, and makes me excited and apprehensive for what's about to happen.

Amazing, this gives me chills. Absolute 'Good' without flexibility or mercy leads to things like Sodam and Gomorrah.

27. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

keep -> kept
    could -> count

28. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Magic? Or maybe just technology developed to be invisible to kryptonians, since he certainly had the incentive to build something like that.

Not sure if this has already come up at some point, but I am wondering how religion works in antimatter universes. Are demons nice, and therefore most people end up in a good afterlife instead of an awful one? Or are sins good deeds now, so hardly anyone goes to hell?
    Are the members of old pantheons like the Hellenic, Norse or Aztec mostly nice instead of mostly assholes, and they left the mortal world out of disgust or something?
    Do people even do religion, since they probably find it hard to have faith in something like that? Though I guess if the material benefits were known people might be super-religious.

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Sorry to disappoint, but he's bald too. Just got a beard and moustache.
    Thank you, corrected.

30. woweed

woweed Know what you're doing yet?

Just at a guess: your slot in the afterlife is based on how evil you were. Evil people get to spend their afterlives tormenting good-hearted fools. The more evil you did, the better your slot in the dog-eat-dog hierarchy.

Last edited: May 12, 2023