1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

6th February 2013
    21:53 GMT -5

Even a young woman whose mind is consumed by something the local people call the 'anti-life' is more rational than almost everyone on my Earth.

It would be nice if that made me feel more surprised.

'Match', aka Mitchell Kent, flew away from the children's meeting at considerable speed, but he seems to have regained his equanimity now. He's floating in the air, gazing in the general direction of Washington D.C.. A subverted satellite shows me a motorcade leaving the capital and heading this way, and a number of individuals inside it have the telltale signs of mental subversion. And some have Genosian technology.

No. Apokoliptian. It would be Apokoliptian here.

I've absorbed this world's history in moments, my mental discipline allowing me to extract a reasonably reliable summary from the available databases. A twisted mirror of my own, in the sense that a deformed reflection looking at a true figure would consider them twisted. A world that makes sense. A world not without tragedy but still defined by the basic decency of most of its people.

A world where heroes are held up as icons to be emulated. Not the strongest and most rabid monsters.

"Clever of you to make contact with this number, but you don't have the right protocols to bypass my security."

It's as Match said. The voice is mine and yet quite obviously not. Less muscles around the chest, and a little more adipose tissue. Then there's the manner of expressing himself. Perfectly in line with predictions, though I don't detect any affect that I can assign to the anti-life.

"I wasn't trying to."

"Mister President?"

He sounds amused. The version of me-. Us, from Earth -14, was Vice President. A less violent Earth than my own, but it still wouldn't be surprising for their version of Wilson to have died.

"A different parallel. The League's sidekicks brought me here."

"Far be it for me to stop you. The whole situation is entirely out of control."

"You're not affected. Cybernetics?"

"No. Magic."

"A demi-plane. Removed enough not to be included in the effect area, while not so removed that you can't interact."

"If you say so."

"I'm trying to create a solution."

"Yes, but you're under the effect of the Anti-Life. Any explanation I give you is an explanation that is available to Mannheim."

"It's a sub-par solution that condemns you to eventual death in isolation. You must have a route off-world. Why didn't you take it?"

A very quiet and quite frustrated noise from him. "The Anti-Life covered the world in moments. I didn't have time."

He didn't know that it was going to happen. It's novel enough that while the Alliance of the Just's actions were suspicious he had no idea that something like this might happen as a result.

"Do-?"

"Any assets I might have and not be able to use myself are hopelessly subverted. Mannheim has billions of eyes. My current plan involves studying the Anti-Life and replacing Mannheim with myself as its focal point on Earth, but I don't rate the chance of it being a better outcome as being particularly high."

"Post-hypnotic suggestion-."

"Wouldn't be reliable in the long term unless it was reinforced daily and under the reign of the Anti-Life there wouldn't be anyone who could administer it. Mechanical methods aren't reliable."

"Connect me to a database. My cybernetic implants would be able to perform that function."

"Yes, your cybernetics."

Upload.

"I'll send you the complete schematics. You can review them yourself and have your magician add whatever protections you require. I'm trying to help you."

"Why?"

"Inverted morality. I'm what you would be if you were a good man in a world filled with evil."

"You have my sympathy."

"Not according to my vocal analysis system."

"I'm not a very sympathetic man. Unless there's anything else..?"

I idly note that the children are moving around the country using the zeta tube network, presumably recovering some sort of equipment. My armor's sensors aren't adjusted to get reliable readings on enchanted objects or Apokoliptian technology, so I can't tell exactly what they're planning.

"Why are you evil?"

"Have you travelled to parallel Earths before?"

"Yes. I know that I'm in the minority."

"Then I imagine that my explanation is the same as theirs. I was weak, once, and I refuse to ever be weak again. And I imagine you made a similar decision yourself."

"You believe that we all react against whatever hurts us, and that we're all so focused that we make our counter-attack our whole existence?"

"We're all in some sense the same man. And while I haven't studied the phenomena of parallel universe alter-egos in any detail, it would seem to fit the available data. If we're genetically identical, then the only factors that could cause the differences between us are environmental."

"Or perhaps you're just saying that because you're concerned that I might target you."

"Please. I can prioritise a little better than that."

And I suppose that it wouldn't matter, anyway. Even my enemies don't question the righteousness of my morality, just my good sense. Does it matter if I became who I am for reasons other than-?

Yes, it does, because if it's just an environmental issue then Ultrawoman's scheme is completely wrong-headed. I need to study that.

"We will speak again when this matter is resolved."

"I will look forward to it."

I disconnect that channel from me, leaving automatic systems to monitoring it. If wherever he is has a laboratory or workshop then he will be able to eject them, but he claims that he was forced to rush things. And while he was a technologist at the beginning of his career, records indicate that he became more focused on business administration later in his life. It's quite possible that his abilities in my chosen field are worse than mine.

Mannheim's motorcade is choosing to pass through Blüdhaven, bulldozer blade equipped vehicles at the front effortlessly shoving abandoned cars out of the way. Curiously, the local people are… Coming out to watch, from windows and rooftops and… Even from the pavements. There's a certain listlessness-.

They're falling in behind.

I can't… Judge how much they're still in possession of their faculties. Most Justified are still capable of reasoning, and it's their thought processes that have changed. But 'Lex' said that Mannheim had use of their eyes. And-.

Haaa.

They looked at me-. No, he looked at me. Their eyes-. He looked through their eyes.

And I don't think that he was at all concerned.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not surprising since you spend your time fighting and thus would be in better shape, while Lex prefers others to fight for him.

Add a " at the end.

Not trusting yourself, Lex?

Granted, if you have even an iota of self-awareness then trusting yourself is a bad idea.

Plus there's the question of even if you could make it.

Manheim could kill you.

And the GLC and New Genesis may have people watching the place and they could have orders to kill or capture anyone that tries to leave.

Though Alex directed his energies towards opposing the correct people.

"focused on"

And you focused on tech because running a massive business on your world would involve a lot of corruption.

That's either good or bad.

Bad because he may have a point that you're not a threat.

Good because he could have underestimated you and that can screw him.

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Alexander. Yes, your wold is a terrible shithole of an alternate universe. But don't lose hope that it can be changed... Somehow. Life has a funny way of surprising you, you know. Still, that sort of thing is secondary to the current problem, isn't it? So back on task...

...Huh. never thought of that as the likely possessive form of New Genesis. And Mannheim on the way, I see.

It's a refreshing sight, isn't it? But one that makes your own world look all the worse.

Oh-ho. Lex and Alexander. Two versions of the same man. This will be amazing.

Heh. Honestly, I'm amazed Minus Sixteen has enough civilisation to have an America, much less a president.

Unfortunately, Slade Wilson here is merely a super-mercenary. Fascinating how the differences pile up, isn't it? Wonder what he's like on Minus Sixteen? Assuming he's not dead.

As if Positive lex would stoop to modifying himself?

Hmm. :confused: Who was the current magic expert of the Light right now? Mordru? Ariahn? Someone else I can't remember? Joy of losing track of things...

Sadly, it won't be that easy. Perhaps Positive Lex might be willing to help...

Ah-ah-ah, Lex. Making some faulty assumptions straight off the bat.

Bet the whole Light got caught flat-footed by someone else seizing the prize.

Somehow, I don't see that as an improvement, Lex. Points for trying, though.

And you don't trust your erstwhile allies not to slip a little something extra into the program, eh?

Betting Lex sees that as a foolish choice by Alexander, tainting himself that way.

Wonder if Lex will develop a non-invasive variant. That could be a profitable exercise, if nothing else.

I'm sure Lex would claim he is a good man, in a world deceived by aliens, madmen and freaks... :rolleyes:

Ha! Yeah, Positive Lex really isn't that different to the less violent members of the Syndicate...

Interesting. Wonder what's up with the fetch quest? And it's amusing that Positive lex is a very avaricious man, while Negative Alexander is compassionate to extremes. The two colours are more or less opposites on the Spectrum...

And isn't there a story there. It's fascinating, the sheer amount of backstory hinted at in just a few words?

Although some might be pettier than others. Like a Lex that turned evil largely because Superboy caused him to go bald at 15. :p Oh, that's not the whole story, but he considered it the inciting incident.

Though just the possibility that they are genetically identical is a curiosity in its own right.

True. Just look at your obsession with Superman... :rolleyes:

Ah, well spotted. Yes, it's a strange thing about a multiverse. Why are some parallels so different?

And I have the feeling it'll be just as confusing to us readers as this discussion was...

Gathering an army, eh? Or a Greek chorus to sing his praises during the upcoming battle of wills...

Though I suspect he's getting help on that front. I doubt the human mind is built to cope with that level of sensory input.

Perhaps it's overconfidence. Perhaps he feel justified in his belief. And perhaps you can show him how wrong he was.

Looks like things are coming to a head. Mannheim speeding towards Gotham, while the Team help Mistress prepare for her imminent battle with him. It'll be quite a sight, I suspect, though likely a little hard to read, between the black-saturated speech and invisitext. :p And we still have OL out there, making his preparations to unleash the full Spectrum on Earth...

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I believe that should either be Circe or Boss Smiley.

This make me wish we could see their POV on the Anti-Life situation.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Robin was surprised by that as well and noted that something doesn't make sense.

Boss Sniley may honestly count.

Mordeu would be stuck in the Plane of Chaos since John is in the material universe, and Arion is a massive racist.

Circe is a possibility, though whether she's working with them or just with Truggs is up in the air.

He is that much of a narcissist.

6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Oh, I doubt he's speeding.

He has a little Darkseid in him, after all. And thus - slow. Inorexable. Absolute.

For the reason he no doubt made sure everyone knew in advance he was coming.

The better to crush them...

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know, it says something when following side characters becomes more interesting then following the story's main.

8. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I idly note, I believe.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

"quiet", I believe.

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘Apokoliptian’
    ‘any affect’? ‘any effect’? I think either could work, depending on what exactly you were going for with the sentence.
    ‘then the only’
    Also, while genetics and environment are the two main things in reality, don’t they have to account for differences in souls as well? Magic stuff is clearly influenced by genetics to some degree, but I don’t think it is all or even mostly genetics.
    I feel like there should be a hyphen somewhere in ‘bulldozer blade equipped’ but I’m not sure where.

Great chapter! I really enjoyed how competent Luthor is. Also, interesting that Mannheim can see through people and maybe hear their thoughts? I don’t remember it being mentioned before, though it isn’t too surprising now that I know it. That bodes poorly for any attempt of the people on Earth to oppose him. Did Paul deliberately not tell anyone his plan because he knew this already, or did he just get lucky with not bothering to inform anyone?

Vorian, Cuchulin, Mr Zoat and 3 others like this.
  13. Wheenesss

Wheenesss Versed in the lewd.

I’m really hoping we get a neat explanation as to how Earth -16 even has civilization at all with how inherently different the people are. It’s genuinely fascinating.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  14. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

They were specifically asked by Ultrawoman to figure it out...

Until then, I'm blaming Ambush Bug.

15. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

6th February 2013
    21:59 GMT -5

"Mistress?"

I look over from the work I'm doing wiring up… Some canisters of stuff Dick got from Batman's cave that I'm pretty sure isn't FDA approved. Karon looks fine to me, but Holly's looking worried.

It's weird, really. Holly was always kinda… I don't want to say 'fragile', but… Like a broken bone that wasn't set right. Healed, but not.. right. The way she talked about Karon, it was pretty clear that them getting together was when she started… Getting better. I haven't gotten a handle on how their relationship works now.

Dick's right there, trying to work out if there's anything wrong. Nothing I can do to help with that, so I finish getting up the gas bomb and close the maintenance hatch.

I grew up in Gotham, gangsters and supervillains and all. So I don't find it funny that there were clearly holes where someone else screwed something like this into the brickwork here before… But I'm not exactly surprised.

"He's closer."

I look around… She's got some of her Justified around and they're all armed… But they're armed with stuff they took from Gotham gun stores, not the military hardware that Mannheim's guys will have. Since me, Dick and Mitchell aren't part of her… 'Patch', we don’t add anything to her ability to do an Anti-Life fight with Mannheim. Canis does, and he likes her more than…

Charity Auction Darkseid.

Which is a stupid name, but if I didn't know how dangerous the Joker is, the name would make him sound like a joke too.

Anyway, there's no way we could do whatever Karon's done to keep ourselves under the Anti-Life. I think… Mom… Might be heading that way, but it's… Not something I'd want to take a chance on, especially when we've only got a few minutes.

"Canis…" Dick looks at Canis, and his face is completely serious. Because if he's wrong about this, everyone here could die. "Are you sure what Mannheim is planning?"

"I have no special knowledge of his human self. But I know New Gods, and this is how we would manage such a conflict."

We're planning on meeting him in the main yard of Blackgate Prison, because we're assuming that he wants Karon more than anything. But he's going to have to drive through most of Gotham to get here. If he wants anything else… Like, say, taking her place in the minds of most of the people in Gotham, then there isn't anything we can really do to stop him.

I don't actually know which is better.

I mean, this place is my home, but I already like Central City and Happy Harbour better. Less crime, nicer people, fewer memories. It's not like places like WayneTech are still working. Batman's moved out the super secret or dangerous stuff, and what's left is all rigged to self destruct just in case something like this happens. So there's nothing strategically important to take here. The portals are shut down and even if he can tell they were here, there's no generator on this side. So all that's left is an old city that used to be big in manufacturing and only just started putting that part of the economy back together after the Sheeda wrecked the places the manufacturing got moved to. It's not rich, it's not advanced, and the people aren't all that great either. So if he just occupies the city and then leaves, not much of value gets lost.

But I like Karon. And we could practice de-Anti-Lifing people on her and her Justified. So… I don't want Mannheim here or anything…

I drop down into the courtyard.

"Do we know where the Finality Man is?"

Dick nods and holds up his arm computer. Real time from Washington, Finality Man standing in front of the Lincoln Memorial. They haven't wrecked it or defaced it or anything like that, but I know Paul did something to get out of America's… Soul there, and I'm… Worried about that robot hanging around.

"So it can just boom tube over here whenever it wants?"

Canis shakes his head. "No. Why do you think we do not settle our wars with New Genesis by sending over a billion Lowlies armed with nuclear bomb packs?"

"Can't say I'd thought about it."

"Highfather's metaphysique is strong. On New Genesis his very presence limits what we could send. I could take an army of Dog Soldiers there armed with mundane weapons, to be met with mundane weapons. Before that, we could send rabid insectoid beasts because they were merely violent animals. The nearest we ever managed to that approach were the Suicide Jockeys, and that took effort and they were limited."

"Effort like..?"

"Other New Gods pushing against Highfather's soul at the launch point. And their bombs could only be low yield. In places other than New Genesis we are less limited of course, but it was never a simple matter."

Makes sense they'd have some kind of defense against it.

Dick nods. "And Karon's doing that here."

Canis looks at Karon, who is twitching weirdly. "She's disrupting his hold, certainly, but she is no Highfather. He could probably brute force it if he wanted, but it would cost him."

"And he doesn't need to, 'cause where are we gunna go?" Canis nods. "What happens if Match uses heat vision on their vehicles?"

"It takes them longer to get here."

"Or their guns?"

Canis frowns. "Were you planning on making this a gunfight?" He looks around, then shrugs. "I have no objection, but most of the Lowlies in this city would die, and Finality Man would inevitably appear."

Dick sighs. "I don't think I'm getting this whole thing."

Canis… Actually stops and thinks.

"Imagine… A perfectionist, who wants to complete a… Run through some manner of computer game without… Taking a hit, losing a single unit, without missing a single great treasure. Something of that nature. And their nature means that they cannot accept anything but complete success."

"So… He has to crush everyone who resists, but he has to do it in… He has to be inefficient, even if he could just throw a ICBM at us."

"No. If Mistress were not here, he could just throw the missile."

"Even with this being Batman's town?"

"Unless Batman is now a New God, yes. In time he will have to kill Uncle Scott, or chase him from the world."

"But not you or Barda?"

"No. We have too much of the Anti-Life in us already. We do not oppose it or act as a counterpoint."

"And if he just walked up to you..?"

"I hope that my faith in Darkseid would keep me separate. But if Darkseid has given him a great deal of power, I might be overwhelmed."

"But you being here helps Karon."

He smiles. "I can't take Mannheim seriously. That affects things."

Dick shakes his head. "Okay. Do you think this is going to work?"

Canis looks around. "It may. It is a rational approach, but I have never seen something like this work before. The tension is thrilling."

"Okay." Dick looks around one last time, trying to see anything else we could do. Doesn't look like he finds anything. "Artemis and I are going to get into position. Good luck."

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

17. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Why isn't Scott here?
    Keeping someone who is infected with AntiLife free from Darkseid's control and apart from Darkseid's mindset seems within his specialty.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Artemis again, eh? A proper local girl. Interesting that Robin is tapping into Batman's more exotic stock. Hopefully he can justify his use of whatever it is to the boss, or he's going to be in deep trouble.

Let's hope said relationship survives the undoing of the Anti-Life. I suspect neither of them is going to be unchanged...

Probably a previous gas dosing scheme. So, Joker or Scarecrow. They're about the only members of the Freaks I can think of that favour gas weapons.

Better to think of Mannheim in mocking tones. Taking him seriously plays into his Narrative as the conquering proxy of his Master.

Ooof, OG Huntress not dealing well? Or maybe too well? Best to leave her out of this, though. No need to introduce another random element.

Which is probably why their wars drag on so long, and are fought with massed footsoldiers rather than elite specialists.

Hopefully Mistress' hold remains steady in the face of his Narrative.

No, he's here because of the face he's risking by letting Mistress stand. He has to defeat her, or be weakened by her existence.

Good thing about being Dannered: No need to fear leaping off a rooftop. Probably makes foot-chases a lot easier.

Yes, just a little concerning. Hopefully the Heartlands are bunkered down against the 'foreign invasion'. Though I picture the Mean Streets of its darker reflection being less able to resist...

Because that would be boring. No, there's no Narrative there. Merely slaughter.

Because they were more assassins than common soldiers, eh? And Narrative Conflict has mechanics for that sort of thing.

Hence the use of proxies like Mannheim. There's no New Genesis equivalent on Earth right now, so he can run roughshod over their usual rules of engagement, but not against other New Gods or beings of comparable function...

She's made Gotham hers. Mannheim has to be seen in person taking it from her. Such is the nature of their Narrative.

Ooh, interesting. Is she feeling Mannheim's aura grinding up against the edges of her own? Like having someone run an icy finger down your spine...

Then they'll just use them as cubs, I suppose. Whatever Mannheim commands them to do...

It's one of those weird things. Stop thinking of it as a fistfight, and more as two people telling a story, trying to make their own Narrative be heard above the other. Until one of them surrenders and is silenced.

Ha. Nice analogy. I've seen perfect runs like that before. Done them myself too... Even if it takes a little cheating to get everything.

Such is the power of a New God's aura. Or the aura of on who is similar in nature, if not raw power.

...Makes me wonder what Bruce would gain as his Godname. 'Justice'? 'Righteousness? 'Intimidation'?

Their own Narratives are those of followers.

Let's hope not, then.

In effect, he's adding his voice to Mistress' story, as a sort of backup song.

I have the feeling they'll need it.

A useful bit of insight into the nature of Narrative Combat there. Mannheim and Mistress are basically playing their own stories out, and when they come into conflict, the stronger Narrative will win out. The Conquering Agent versus the Desperate Protector. And no doubt Mannheim intends to stack the deck in his favour with the mass of followers he's building up...

Because if he's wrong about this, everyone here could die.
    "And he doesn't need to, 'cause where are we gunna go?"
    Double Space.

19. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Shouldn't it be "so I finish"

20. Mr Zoat

Because he's the most powerful New God on the good side, and they need him to use New God technology.
    Thank you, corrected.

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘doing’?
    ‘of what’?
    I had wondered about that.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it may be hell on stealth when things like roads break when you land on them.

Sam and his friends may have set up defences after Smiley, and no country is happy about foreign elements invading it, so the bad side may also be defended.

Granted in their case their dislike of foreign invasion would be in the form of hysterical xenophobia.

Simple, it would be "I'm Batman.".

So he's a hype man.

I can't help but imagine Mistress and Manheim having a rap battle right now.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I think that's okay.

24. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Either my screen's messed up or there's a bolded u in Harbour. Is that intentional or just weird formatting?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paulphidian changed all the signs, so it's possible people now use that spelling for the place.

26. Mr Zoat

When the SI merged with the Ophidian, he altered the town so that every instance of the name had a 'u'. The people just sort of accepted it.

27. Assblaster5000

... Americans don't have a u in harbour?

I know we do some weird shit up north, but that's so... I genuinely don't have words.

This is like them not having ketchup chips all over again, but somehow worse.

mastermenthe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

How do you have a chip of a liquid?

29. Assblaster5000

Vinegar and tomato powder, mostly.

30. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

[​IMG]