1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Bruno's about to eat something that disagrees with him. Because as Karen says, if nothing matters, then Darkseid doesn't matter and his ego cannot accept that.

Vorian, Cuchulin, boo600 and 4 others like this.
  2. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Any chance you could add an 'end of arc' to the threadmark for the last part of this story. This has been artificially dragged out so much I've completely lost interest in it. Better to wait for it to be done so I can skim it from anything that will effect later chapters.

At this point there is a part of me that wants a few of his friend to die so Paul finally gets the 'pefect is the enemy of the good' concept pounded into his head once and for all. Also looking for the perfect solution with the least risk possible, and least amount of power no matter how long it takes.

Cuchulin, Wheenesss and Sockmonkey like this.
  3. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Is the implication that Karon's holding a piece of the Anti Life? Shouldn't that trigger direct Darkseid interference?

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘demonstrates’
    I think it’s the opposite. Isn’t Karen’s understanding that if nothing matters, she may as well act as she wishes? It could be that this is exactly what Darkseid needs to prevent the very problem you mention.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Darkseid doesn't dominate because he likes dominating.

It's inferiority superiority complex.

His mother was a monster who had Darkseid's wife, who he loved very much, murdered.

His father is even worse.

His parents treating him like shit stuck to the bottom of their shoes left him feeling worthless.

That's why his mother had his wife killed, the fact that she honestly loved him made him feel like he was worthwhile, which made dominating others to feel worthwhile redundant, and so he lost interest.

If he truly accepted that nothing matters, then he'd also accept that dominating others doesn't matter either.

boo600, Vorian, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  7. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I bow to your expertise. Although I will be a little sad if Darkseid’s motivation really is that fragile in this story.

8. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Kirby made Darkseid as the god of fascist tyrants, and Kirby understood that at their heart fascist tyrants are small men who puff themselves up with delusions of grandeur. Fakers in the end.

Everyone understands one of Kirby's other great creations, Doctor Doom, can be both simultaneously as brilliant and powerful as he says he is, but also has an inherent pettiness and weakness at his heart. Darkseid is the same, presenting himself as a monstrous, omnipotent god of evil because that's what he wants to be. In some ways Darkseid is that, but he has the weakness and fragility of all tyrants in his heart. He's telling a story about himself that you don't have to buy into.

Vorian, Sockmonkey, Cuchulin and 8 others like this.
  9. Stsword

Kirby based Darkseid's personality on Nixon and Hitler, a self absorbed neurotic paranoiac and an antisocial paranoid narcissist.

Not exactly the stuff of greatness.

The modern take, ala Morrison et al, in which Darkseid is some grand god of evil would probably make Kirby want to vomit.

boo600, Vorian, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  10. Threadmarks: Home Field (part 25)
    Mr Zoat

6th February 2013
    22:35 GMT -5

Mannheim… Drops her, as Artemis grabs Canis with one hand and Holly with the other. Neither of them really resist. Mannheim is still doing… Something to Karon. The Omega Effect-. Scott Free described it as giving Darkseid complete control over whatever he used it on. Usually he just disintegrates things, but in theory-.

I hate being helpless.

Mannheim lets go of Karon, and she… Kind of staggers backwards and then sits down. I don't have a good angle on her from here and I can't risk getting distracted by looking at my cameras.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaah."

Mannheim blinks slowly, fists balling and then relaxing again.

"I see. You keep going, even if you no longer feel the things that caused you to adopt that behavior. You don't need to know right from wrong because it's just you. Thank you, Karon Chase, for teaching this to me."

Karon doesn't react. I don't know if I should grab her, try attacking him again-.

"But let me share what you learned with the world." Action W-.

WAAAGHWAAAGHWAAAGH!

Ah-! Some sort of..! Sonic weapon goes off, Mannheim's.. hit with something that makes him glow, then-. Then he goes kind of transparent-. He raises his hands and looks at them.

Quick, while he's distracted.

I dart forward, grab Karon-

Her eyes look normal now, and she's.. crying?

-and then run back into the prison.

"Robin to everyone. It didn't work. Evacuate immediately."

"Match to team. I'm blowing the bridge now."

CHOOM CHOOM-CHOOM CHOOM-CHOOM CHOOM!

"Artemis. I'm taking Canis and Holly to the Batboat. What's Mannheim doing?"

We planned the route through Blackgate. Since they used to bring new arrivals in by boat, it's pretty accessible. We should be able to get away.

"Robin. Can't see him."

We didn't win. But no one died, went mad, got captured or even injured. Mannheim learned… Something about the Anti-Life, so maybe the world's going to get a little worse. But we learned that's what he was trying to do, so…

"Alexander. He shouldn't be doing much. I used a magic-enhanced phase-shifter. If my thaumic scans are correct, it should take him about three minutes to overpower the effect. Less if he doesn't try that hard."

That's…

"Robin. How many of those-" I turn down a main hall, using my computer to remotely open the security doors. "-do you have?"

"Alexander. It's integrated into my armour, but as I understand these things, he will gradually become more resistant. How are Karon, Holly and Canis Minor doing?"

"Artemis. They're breathing. Not.. responding to my voice."

"Karon, how you doing?"

All I hear is very quiet sobbing.

"Robin. Same. Match, are any of his bodyguards coming after us?"

"No. Do you want me to try grabbing one of them?"

Mannheim could start moving at any moment and he already hit Match out of the air once…

"No. Don't risk yourself."

Out the back of the prison, and Artemis is already dumping off Canis and Holly. She looks back at me as I leap, landing next to the boat and shoving Karon at her.

"Robin. Match, update?"

"Mannheim is sort of glowing. Bodyguard still the same."

"Alexander. He's about to break out. I'm pulling out. Meet up at fallback point one."

I jump into the boat next to the controls, hitting the ignition and accelerate the jet engine. It's not quiet, but it's fast and responsive. We pull away from the shore and I start breathing a little bit easier.

"Arte, how are they?"

"Canis? Are you okay?"

Blackgate falls away behind us, and a moment later I see Match flying alongside us.

A little easier.

"Canis, I'm gunna shoot you with a purple healing-."

"Did you know?"

"Ah… About Darkseid kicking you out for real?"

"Yes."

"Ah… It's not like Darkseid tells us what his plans are, but it always sounded… I thought he was probably trying to kill you for real. I didn't know he didn't care."

"I see."

"But… Not having the biggest bad guy in the universe gunning for you isn't a bad thing."

"You know nothing. I made my art... For him. His…"

"Try shooting him anyway."

"O-kay…"

"Canis, you haven't stopped being God of Art just because Darkseid is a philistine. It was always kind of a long shot for a guy who wants to crush every soul in existence to like creativity and beauty. I… Know it feels like-."

"Children! Turn out to sea! Turn out to sea now!"

I turn the wheel and push the accelerator right away.

"Robin to Alexander, what-?"

"It isn't that easy to escape me." Action Without Passion.

Oh.

I reduce the boat's speed and resume course for the fallback point. It's already hit, and this was probably what Mannheim was trying to do. Maybe it will wear off and maybe it won't. I can't risk the drugs again.

Behind me, Artemis turns off the purple healing ray and drops it to the floor. Holly goes fetal, Karon just sort of lies there and Canis is actually looking a little better.

That should probably mean something to me.

But it doesn't.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Shit.

"and Holly"

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'and'.

Great. Now he has Karon's understanding of the Anti-Life, which apparently gives him the ability to take away one's passion. I really hope Paul can resist this, because it seems like an anti-orange light expression of the Anti-Life to me.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

14. dw7thdoctor

dw7thdoctor Getting sticky.

15. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Same here.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wouldn't this make it literally impossible for LePaul to fight him given he relies on Power Ring?

PROTOTYPElu2 and Cool10007 like this.
  17. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

The anti life doesn't have infinite reach out into space or else Darkseid would infect the universe without opening boom tubes and invading planets individually. Is it piercing and or permeating the thaumasphere and reaching into the dream, hell, or the underworld? Seems like an orbital strike of white light or perhaps basting the entire collective unconscious with it could mostly resolve things from outside of the enemy's reach or attention.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

19. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Honestly this seems like an excellent counter to power ring users of every type except Black rings. It remains to be seen how Guy or Alan are going to react to it. Either would be a good indicator of what to expect from Power Ring users against Darkseid from now on.
    Slight implication that Karon may be frighteningly effective with a Black Power Ring.

Unfortunately, while I was predicting this outcome I'm still not happy with it.
    I just had an intuition that they weren't set up to cheat hard enough, and should probably have considered taking Karon and retreating somewhere Mannheim would have trouble finding her until they were set up to cheat harder.

This also has implications for Paul's eventual ambition to attack Apokalips.

What I'm wondering is: when is Paragon Paul going to learn about that New-God kryptonite-equivalent? Xenon? I think? I may be forgetting what it's called.
    But they've been having New God problems off and on for a while, and I would hope that Canis or Barda or the Controllers would know about that stuff.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's called radion. And I'm not sure any New God would tell any non-New God about it if they had any choice in the matter.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I don't!

This is the most interesting the story's been in a couple hundred chapters.

We have stakes, challenges, plans that don't work out perfectly, bad things happening. Everything this story had been mostly missing since LePaul hit himself with the stupid stick.

Celtic Spartan likes this.
  22. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Oh shit! Alexander is an ork?

23. Mr Zoat

No.

24. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

Paul is aware that radion exists. He just ahs no access to it or any knowledge on how its made or where it comes from. He mentioned once that he keeps an eye out for it but no luck.

25. Stsword

Which is understandable considering writers changed it.

Originally it was apparently a form of radiation. Radion bombs, radion blasters. I like equating it with the theoretical particles.

In Death of the New Gods, they made the "radion bullet" a platonic ideal bullet.

26. Threadmarks: Lantern Conspiracies (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

5th November 1999
    11:12 MDT

Clink.

I sit back down as Rinaker mulls over what I just told him. Trueblood looks about ready to tear the table in half. Sh'lainn's keeping a careful watch on him, while Fitz and Perrera are waiting patiently.

Clink.

One last key flip, and Rinaker presses a button on his keyboard. The monitor shows a.. dark corridor. It's Agent Yarrow's-. Late Agent Yarrow's camera. He's moving fast, checking corners and ceilings in a well trained sweep-and-clear. One other agent with him, but they stopped near the entrance to cover his rear. He comes out on a room, then runs through into the next room and points his gun at two aliens in there, a goblin and a faun. The faun is in a wheelchair and the goblin doesn't look armed. Yarrow appears to notice that too, the camera jerking as he checks the corners of the door and the doors leading away.

Nothing.

He then moves towards the goblin, gun levelled at its face.

"Where are the vampires?!" The goblin just cowers away. "Where are the vampires?!"

There's a momentary pause, then the camera jerks back the way he came as the Green Knight runs in, sword in hand. The camera sort of twitches, then the sword comes forward-.

I wince as the camera twitches again, then falls back to stare at the ceiling.

I've been involved in things like that before. I actually haven't killed anyone, but a few of my old bounty hunting targets remember me when the seasons change. You've got a fraction of a second to make a life or death decision with your own life on the line. It's actually impressive that Yarrow had the discipline not to fire the moment he saw an alien, but from that range a shot would have been fatal even if it was set to 'stun'.

The Green Knight saw someone about to kill his ally. Would he have attacked if he'd gone down in the bunker and seen a police officer or someone from a S.W.A.T. team? Would he have hesitated like Yarrow did, demand that he lower his gun and step away? Or would he have attacked anyway because he couldn't see a reason to point a gun at someone who clearly wasn't armed, even if they were a criminal?

I don't know.

"Agent Yarrow's actions in threatening an alien involved in a criminal arms smuggling network were entirely legitimate." Rinaker presses another button to turn off the monitor. "The fact the alien in question was working as a physician does not grant them immunity from human law. Since I'm certain that Agent Logan is planning on asking, the Alliance has full clearance from the British government to operate in British territory. The fact that lower levels of the British military, police and political establishment are unaware of that merely proves that we are doing our job."

In most states in America, police are indemnified against legal action if they acted in accordance with the law and local police policy. Police can legally shoot someone dead if they don't respond to their orders fast enough, and even when they weren't armed. I've heard about some… Dubious decisions, and I've also seen police get shot for not shooting fast enough. If someone was pointing a gun at an Alliance agent, I'd have attacked them. Ideally, with a baton or my fists, but if I had a gun in my hands instead…

And even if the Alliance is legally able to operate in Britain, if people haven't ever heard of us, it's hardly unreasonable for them to assume that we aren't.

"General, when are we going after the Green Knight?"

Clink.

"We're not."

"General?"

"Your report makes it clear that the 'Green Knight' took multiple hits from Alliance plasma cannons without any apparent harm. Using strategic weapons is out of the question for the same reason that we don't just bomb the Intracom headquarters, and unlike a large building the Green Knight is highly mobile. Given his resilience, he most likely could have killed most -if not all- of the agents you brought with you, yourself included."

Trueblood's clearly not happy about that, but he nods.

"The fact that he did not do so indicates that he will most likely only intervene if we threaten members of this 'Conduit' organisation. His conversation with Agent Logan might even indicate that he isn't aware of what the Alliance is, and assumed that we were some sort of unregulated paramilitary. Alliance policy with regard to the Green Knight will be to gather information while limiting our exposure. Only once we have identified an exploitable weakness will we attempt to eliminate him."

"Do y' no' think we should try and tell him what we were doing? I doubt he'll pull his punches if he's thinking that we're just a bunch of t'ugs."

"If you have a way to relay a message, Agent Blaze, then by all means. It may help to avoid him murdering any further Alliance agents."

Sh'lainn's obviously not happy. We've never really talked about banshee law enforcement. When Mab thought Sh'lainn had betrayed the banshee to the Alliance, her response was to send a pair of minotaurs to kill her. But I don't know if that's normal policy or just something she did because she was worried about what Sh'lainn would tell us.

"Agent Fitz. Your… Plan, for evacuating our imprisoned agents was highly effective. All agents are back in our headquarters being debriefed, there were no further casualties and the value of destroyed property was kept to a minimum. Your actions minimised the risk of a data breach, despite the Green Knight's actions."

Fitz looks smug, but considering the circumstances he's got enough sense not to boast about a positive assessment.

"You and Agent Perrera will need to follow up in providing the police investigation with a satisfactory conclusion. Unfortunately, too many people are now in the know for a top-down information suppression effort to be effective."

Fitz grins. "Can do, General!"

"Agent Logan and Blaze. The last major confrontation between the vampires and banshee was well before the Alliance began operations. As such, we don't have a great deal of knowledge about what occurred. With the reappearance of both the Green Knight and the minotauri, it seems that we may need to correct that sooner rather than later."

Sh'lainn shrugs. "I was never the best history student, General."

"Trusting a single person's recall would be unwise in any case." He presses a button, calling up a map of Europe with several locations marked. "The Alliance has been aware for some time of a number of former banshee outposts. They've long been abandoned as far as we can tell, but forcing access risks destroying whatever may be inside. But now we have another option."

Sh'lainn looks awkward.

"I understand that this puts you in an awkward position, but we need any historical data contained there. You are free to arrange for any personal effects or original texts to be returned to Queen Mab. Since her people are for the most part content to remain in Ireland and keep themselves to themselves, I see no reason for us to initiate hostilities."

That seems to make her feel a little better. "Better than jumping out of a plane."

"I do have one question about current banshee operations, however."

"I don’t think we really have current operations. Not like the Alliance does. If we did, I doubt I'd be here."

"That's not the question. My question is this: do the banshee on Earth have regular contact with the banshee homeworld?"

"No, we don't. I haven't ever lived on a planet that wasn't Earth."

Huh. I hadn't really thought about it, but we know that the vampires have spaceships. Vampires have been on Earth for a long time. Hundreds of years at least. It wouldn't take a lot of spaceships to hold the Earth to ransom. Or at least give them an unbeatable firing position. So why aren't there more? Is there something stopping them calling home?

"Hm. I see." Rinaker nods. "Thank you, Agent Blaze. Everyone, dismissed."

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, a joint debriefing on the Alliance's little English field trip? I see Nick's gone over his part in matters, then. Though it looks like not everyone's happy with how things were settled.

Ah, good, they do have body cams. Or helmet-cameras. Some manner of visual recording, anyway.

Not going to look good for Yarow here, though, threatening a pair of unarmed combatants with his weapon...

Ah, the typically military approach to interrogation, eh? Point guns and yell questions. :p

By that, Nick means he had to break a few knees, I'll bet.

You never know what can happen in the heat of combat, certainly. Adrenaline's a hell of a drug.

Oh, he's smooth. You'd think they'd have clearer rules of engagement in these sorts of encounters, though. Especially when obvious non-combatants are present.

And any discussion of those police actions probably come close to Rule 8 territory. :oops: Careful.

True. Though I suspect most cops would pause a moment when they see someone running around dressed vaguely like a Stormtrooper.

Wise choice. He's a complete unknown, in terms of motivation and capabilities. Fellow like Rinaker, I expect he won't take action without much more detailed intelligence on the threat. (And possibly instructions from his masters.)

Given what he did to their exo-armour, I'm surprised the troops didn't already recognise that. Though Trueblood's probably thinking through a haze of anger and painkillers right now anyway.

Good luck with that, thin man.

Ooh, good point. From both of them. Wonder if Sh'Lainn will ever learn the Emerald Knight visited Mab recently after his encounter with the Alliance.

Though given that said plan involved crashing a plane into the place their evidence was being kept, I suspect Rinaker would prefer it not happen again.

Heh. Too big a paper trail to cover up now, boyo? Tough luck.

Let me guess. He wants her to call home, have a polite chat with her people.

Ah. A bit of Tomb Raiding? For a given value of 'Tomb'.

Now, whether Mab will see it that way, well... We'll see.

Oh? Do tell us, what would you like to know from the outcast?

Ah. A very good question, though I suspect there's multiple layers of reasoning for it...

Or, for that matter, why didn't they just conquer the medieval Earth they arrived on? Too divided? Too limited by their numbers and vulnerability to sunlight?

So, then. The Alliance taking a very cautious approach to the Emerald Knight, I see. Logical enough, given his demonstrated capabilities. After all, when you can ignore their best weapons, it's only natural for them to be wary of you. But when Roswaul starts targetting Vampire operations, I suspect Rinaker will be feeling a little pressure to deal with him...

He then moves towards the goblin, gun levelled at its face.

28. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

Is this roswell conspiracies? I liked that cartoon for its short run. Those are all goid questions. Why don't the aliens contact thier home worlds or conquer us with spaceships?

29. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

People who run off to primitive backwaters don't often have better options.

30. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

But when you run off to a primitive backwater with advanced technology up to and including spaceships, your options include 'dropping things on anybody who objects to your taking things over'.

Heck, Harry Maybourne set himself up as a king without even a ship, for crying out loud.

So these are very excellent questions indeed...

(One might suspect the answers include 'a Maltusian who would really prefer his quiet retirement planet remain (a) quiet and (b) there'.)

Vorian, Cuchulin, kerleth and 9 others like this.