1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Should they? Paul's not a god and doesn't project meaning the same way and I don't think 'truth' is specifically any of their schtick.

Plus, Paul probably thinks he's roughly being honest.

Vorian, kerleth, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  2. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

First time I think Paul said anything about internalizing his bad/ugly/ embarrassing desires. Which was such a key part of his own enlightenment.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"growling"

Probably because the ones that do have it kill them when they see that submission is not on the menu.

Either she got tired, or the sheer presence of Indigo overwhelmed her.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

5. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I agree with you. However I must point out that Mannheim has seemingly just incorporated the Anti-Nihilistic view of Anti-Life into himself. There’s no telling if that view point will also be twisted into a form of brainwashed slavery.

kerleth and Ardy like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The only way LePaul could think he was being honest is if he removed the memory of getting Anti-Lifed and needing to be saved.

7. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

To my memory, the only time Anti-life got into Paul was when he used the Alliance of the Justs teleporter. When faced with The Key or in the Tower of Fate, it didn't stick.

Edit: I realize the difference is direct exposure vs indirect exposure.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    kerleth, Ardy, Prince Charon and 2 others like this.
  8. Threadmarks: Compass (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    18:21 GMT -4

Glowing orange breakwaters extend into the Atlantic from the coast of Cuba, and if I strain my eyes I can just about see where my fellow Orange Lanterns are repeating that defence on the Caribbean's other islands. The surging water from the newly risen continent of Atlantis arrived only a little after we did, and stopping a tsunami like that…

It isn't fun, and it's something that high tier Justice Leaguers are actually trained for.

I can see a handful of total morons hanging around the beach to take pictures of the situation just staring like the gormless morons they are. I could say something about the fact that we're just going to reduce the force of the water and not block it completely, but if they're this dumb then I think their lives are a worthy offering to the Great God Darwin-.

"Thanks fer doin' this, Grayven." I nod at Guy at he approaches. "We don't rilly have the manpower fer things like this."

"Not a problem. Orin tell you what's going on?"

"Nah." He shakes his head. "He stops showin' up t' meetin's, then a few weeks later this happens."

Wait, do I actually know more than the Justice League? Okay, Batman's ability to gain intelligence is a lot less in places with no real contact with the surface world and no electronics, but I'd have thought…

Richard, I know I said to make sure that the League didn't die, but I assumed…

The water level starts rising all along the shoreline. Not… Catastrophically, and I've got a reserve standing by just in case things escalate, but things are going to be pretty messy once the waters recede.

"You… Planning on joining in?"

"I'm in reserve, case anything else crazy happens." He stares out to sea, squinting. "You breakin' it up?"

"That's the idea. I'm nothing like strong enough to just block it all, but I can weaken it just fine. Who's handling the US?"

"Superman."

"How?"

"Spinnin' real fast or somethin'."

"Oh, ah, just in case something weird happens, I've got a parallel universe version of Superman doing some work for me on Tamaran. Doubt he'll come here, but just in case Superman starts acting weird…"

"Thanks. I'll pass that along." He hesitates for a moment. "Do I wanna know why you got goatee-Supes werkin' fer you?"

"He's clean-shaven. I've got some kryptonian technology, and it helps to have another brain that knows kryptonian technology looking it over."

Guy frowns thoughtfully. "That the Superman who took over the world?"

"Ah… Define… Yeah… Yes, okay."

"You sure he don't have a goatee?"

"Their John Stewart did." Hm. Mother Box, does that seem like enough water to you?

Ping.

So, what, they're actually being slightly courteous, or they're keeping it for themselves?

Ping.

Ah. "Guy, is the League aware that Ahri'ahn has been living openly in Atlantis?"

Guy looks a little awkward. "Ah… Yeah? Aquaman said he had it handled."

I pointedly look out across the swelling Atlantic in the general direction of the Earth's newest continent. I mean, Clea said that she had it handled-.

Ring, grab me a spy satellite and show me what's going on.

By your command.

Several countries and a few private citizens who probably shouldn't have satellites in position to observe Atlantis. Tapping into all of them gets me a slightly better idea of what's going on.

That's a lot of dead seaweed. And dead sea creatures. The cities themselves-.

Venturia is surrounded by a giant sphere of water. In fact, in the highest parts of their territory it's actually frozen solid. Guess Lex's airport just got rendered completely superfluous. And I can see… Three other cities that have enclosed themselves in a similar way. The… Most logical explanation is that they're making an accommodation for water-adapted Atlanteans. Almost all Atlanteans can breathe air, but Atlanteans with tails would struggle to move.

Poseidonis doesn't have a sphere of water.

But what the hell? Atlanteans have fish farms that are now empty of water and filled with dying fish. The land there might be… Drying, but it's going to be salty as heck. There's no way they can plant crops on it until they do a lot of work. Clea's probably on top of that, but she told me she was on top of Ahri'ahn as well so I've got to check.

"Who's the redhead?"

"Which one?"

"The one with the curly hair, stripper uniform and big titties."

I consider our female tamaranean recruits.

"Again, which one?"

"Seriously?" He turns back to me. "And you're dating a horse?"

"Pony. And it's not my fault that you have plebeian tastes." I glance over at Lantern… Andreand'r. "Most tamaraneans look that good. Probably like how European dental health got really bad once cheap sugar became available; they haven't had a chance to get fat because they've had to do physical labour and haven't had access to large quantities of fat and sugar."

"Looks like she's got fat in all the right places."

I shake my head. "Guy, you're thirty six. You don't have time to mess about ogling random women. If you're-"

"Ow."

"-interested in her, talk to her once the water calms down. I'll put in a good word for you. What's the League planning to do about Ahri-?"

The air over the Atlantic shimmers, then stabilises into a massive… Illusion? Of Ahri'ahn, staring out imperiously across the world. Probably just a projection which he can't see through.

"Attention, barbarians of the world. I am Ahri'ahn, the greatest magician in the history of the Earth. The nation of Atlantis stands tall once more, and will regain its former pre-eminence. Your rulers and potentates will attend the King of Atlantis in Poseidonis and pay him homage. You will do this within a week, or you will suffer our wrath."

The illusion stares down at us for a few moments, and then fades out.

"Well shit."

"Language. Does the League have a plan?"

"Not fer this exact thing."

"I have a Lantern Corps. And Lex has a fleet. We can help."

"Ah… I'll pass that on." He frowns. "How's Black Adam gonna take bein' called a barbarian and told to show up and bow?"

"Not well. Does the League have a wizard who can take Ahri'ahn?"

"I'll… Get back t' yeh."

I look down to where the water has risen over the beach.

"Best get back quick, because I don't think General Lane is going to be patient."

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    Gilga.34, Neruz, Turalon94 and 116 others like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"have a sphere"

Ahri'ahn is a massive racist and they're not renowned for thinking about things.

You never know.

With his skill and power he may be ableto do it.

Hmm, he didn't exactly refer to himself as the king, so he may be talking about Aquaman.

Which means he may have enthralled him.

He probably thought that he was doing it for his own good.

Or it's someone else, since Arthur is part surface dweller, so Ahri'ahn may view him as unworthy.

"and then"

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

At least the Renegade has backup on site for this. Or had enough available to Boom Tube in when the word got out that he could deploy them to cover as much of the Atlantic coastlines as he could. And that's a lot of coastlines...

Heh. Would Darwin be the New God of Genetic Improvement? :VAnd maybe the league should consider getting the manpower, Guy.

What's the bet Ahri'ahn has him mind-controlled? ;) No, no, sucker's bet, I'm sure.

But that's practically a full-time job, Renegade, and he does need some time off for his lady love.

Though I bet those rubber-neckers are suddenly realising that yes, where they're standing is about to get a bit wet.

Man, the sheer difference between Paragon and Renegade timeline Guy. The former has Ion on his side, is dating Ice and is an Honour Guard. The latter? :oops: Uh... At least he's not comatose?

Yeah, that's a bit of... This version is noticeably less powerful than most, after all.

:confused: Kryptonian powers bullshit. Somewhere, an oceanologist is crying.

Honestly, if that Supes still had his powers, it might be helpful. Another Renegade decision backfiring later.

...Yeah, not the best look, Renegade.

Guy, not everything works on Narrative tropes like that. :oops: ...Just most things.

"The amount is water is abnormally low, yes. Especially given the size of the landmasses displacing it."

"Do you really want them sharing it around?"

...<Looks at ocean.> o_O Yes, 'handled.' Did none of you think to check in every once in a while?

Oh, I can picture just about every nation on Earth looking to get eyes on this shit.

You are going to share with the rest of the class, I hope? By which I mean the League?

Rather impressive that they were able to set that up in so short a time.

Yeah, the salt dumped by the 2004 Tsunami was interfering with agriculture for years afterwards, even today...

Guy, this is hardly the time to be eyeballing the alien hotties.

That could cover a lot of the ladies. Well, not their outfits, but you get what I mean. :p

Because he wants a real relationship, not a quick, no-strings hook-up with alien hotties.

God, I wish he'd get slapped, but they'd probably find him funny.

Yeah, not that much older then the Renegade himself. At least before his stint in the future.

You hope. And if he's trying to pretend to be legitimate authority, a giant projection of yourself is not a good start.

...Yeah, that's not going to be taken well by... Just about anyone.

Renegade bringing that Dad energy. And I hope their plan is better than 'fly in, punch Ahri'ahn unconscious and hope Atlantis sinks again.'

And it technically is his job as Suzerain of Earth to deal with challenges to his authority, in the name of Darkseid. And this is a pretty big challenge.

What are the chances Adom actually knows Ahri'ahn from the old days? :p And didn't like him much then either?

Though hopefully his first response won't be 'nuke the fucker', given Ahri'ahn has the Atlantean population hostage.

All righty, then. Pretty clear Ahri'ahn is intending to be the power behind the throne. Hopefully he's at least using Orin as a puppet ruler, because he's the only legitimate claimant to the throne (Renegade Orm being dead, after all, last I remember.) Though I have to wonder how things are going for the less conventional members of the Atlantean population, given Blondie's feelings towards them...

Either it's missing an opening Quotation Mark, or has an extraneous closing one.

11. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Let the trigger happy man commit state suicide for his country, if he's that dumb. As long as Australia is okay.

12. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

20 bucks that Ahri'ahn's disregard for their farms starts a revolt among Atlanteans.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahri'ahn may have told them to.

He may not like them, but he may recognize that he needs them, so the shields are up.

It could also explain why Poseidonis doesn't have one.

He may want the ones in the other cities to live, but not the ones in his city.

He already had one with two Tamaraneans.

You never know.

Some Nazis believe that the Aryan race came from Atlantis, so to them this may be the best day of their lives.

I can just imagine them celebrating in front of Ahri'ahn and telling him about their beliefs.

All the while he looks at them in confusion, before he kills them for daring to think of themselves as Atlantians.

Even a bastard can do a good thing.

It's possible that Ahri'ahn met him during his time travel excursions.

Or he heard about him from his Atlantean teammate.

Unless Ahri'ahn resurrects him.

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"I am Ahri'ahn, the greatest magician in the history of the world, and..."
    "Sunset, Circe, would you take care of that?"
    "Oooh! I could drop the sun on him!"
    "Sunset, this isn't Wilson, our sun doesn't work like that."
    "I know. Hehehehe."

16. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

"Sunset, have you been having interdimensional correspondence with Ivan Ramonat again."

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  17. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I believe the appropriate bet here is twenty clams.

18. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Missing full stop.
    …Would that actually work?
    ‘she’s’?
    So is the illusion facing towards the ground, or towards the north or south or east or what? I realise this is a minor detail, I’m just having trouble visualising this.

19. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Somehow, I could see any universe's version of Guy wondering why he didn't learn about Tamaran back when he first got his ring. After all, prior to his settling down with Tora, I suspect that he'd really go for Tamaranean-style "friends with benefits that often involve groups" arrangements.

...why did I just come to the realization that once Earth gets affordable mass FTL travel, Tamaran will experience a sudden boom in tourism for both Spring Break and, at a lower but more constant level, sex tourism?

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It's staring in the approximate direction of everyone looking at it.
    Actually, groups are unusual. Also, it was in the Vega Systems so Guy wouldn't be allowed to fly there.
    Tamaran's a long way away. Ungara's economic problems mean that the whores there would be cheaper.

21. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

If we’re going down that route, it’s possible he’s referring to Arthur’s son when he says king. If he thinks Arthur is unfit to rule, then he might have deposed him until the next heir is of age. Which would mean someone is acting as Regent.

22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Green Lanterns weren't officially allowed in the Vega system.

Cuchulin and DAT_NOOB like this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Especially since they won't totally recede due to the landmass now displacing large amounts of water.

You know... It never ceases to amaze how Paul's with Power Rings just continually make things worse...

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Ahri'ahn is independent from most things due to the fact that he's a time traveller from the past who only travels forward in time. Why do you think the Renegade is in anyway at fault for this guy's crazy plan?

25. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, how fast can Sunset get an anti evil wizard Team?

Assblaster5000 and Ardy like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is Vaermina that's talking.

If any problem arises in the story then they'll blame the local Paul even if it makes no sense.

Though I am wondering why the paragon version of Ahri'ahn didn't strike.

It's possible that the magical revolution Paul set in motion allowed them to develop means that can detect even those of Ahri'ahn's skill, so he's more cautious.

Plus Atlantis is thriving, so he may be pleased with that.

He only really came onto the scene when he attacked Aberrance because they were using his techniques in their biomancy, while that wasn't happening paragon-side so that may have spurned into more drastic actions of taking over Atlantis.

For all we know he may have been planning on doing this on te paragon side as well, but the Anti-Life put a hamper on that.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because this is Earth 16, and we know how the timeline would have gone if the two Paul's never showed up.

Hell, this is doubly his fault because the actual Ahri'ahn was supposed to have died when Atlantis fell. Meaning he either mucked things up with his Time Travel, or this is the clone program that his actions pushed forward by five years.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Responding to Vaermina.

This is an alternate universe version of Earth 16. Things are, from the outset, innately different from the Young Justice show, people and events which did not exist in that universe from well before any version of Paul showed up are present within this universe.

Do not blame the author or the thread for your lack of reading comprehension.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I will wait while you find the author post stating this takes place in an AU.

Khornelius likes this.
  30. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Replying to Vaermina.

I... literally could not, in any possible life, make this shit up.

Thank you for being this absolutely, unimaginably, incomprehensibly honest with the fact that you haven't actually read this story for even a single chapter fucking once.

But if you absolutely must know, there is to the best of my knowledge no such post because Zoat is a reasonable man. He expects his readers to have eyes with which to read the text of the fiction itself. No one who reads With This Ring past the first few episodes would, in any way, consider it a faithful retelling of Young Justice as a story.

The power scaling exists well outside of what has been established in the actual show and, again, evens have occurred in the past of WTR which have not occurred in the past of Young Justice. Events which predate Paul.

If this does not self-evidently classify WTR as an AU fanfiction then literally nothing else ever possibly could.