1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And without an author statement saying it so, that's just your opinion

Meanwhile, my opinion is that those changes are just retroactive results of time traveling by the various Pauls.

2. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Barda and Scott free are living happily on Earth. This is not the case in canon. Zoat has stated that he has not seen and has no plans to see seasons 3 or 4. Things have happened in this story that are decidedly contradicted by seasons 3 and 4, and they are things that are historical from before the SI showed up. The antilife equation in this fic is way different from what it is in canon, that's not something the SI did, that's something Zoat wrote.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ah, no. I haven't seen all of series 4. I have seen series 3, but when I started writing this it didn't exist. Naturally, this means that some things I assumed about the setting turned out not to be true.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Just put them on ignore.

At this point you're just stressing yourself out by yelling at a brick wall.

Vaermina has made it abundantly clear that nothing will sway them. Not logic, not pleading, not yelling.

There's no point trying to convince them on anything.

You can show them the relevant pages, the author statements, heck you can get the author to clarify their point on a hundred different pages or have him basically put the relevant statements after every word he writes.

None of it will matter.

Vaermina will just deny it no matter how much you do.

BoML, Vorian, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, but with Time Travel the result can proceed the cause.

And Paul has done a lot of Time Traveling.

To the point there's an entire side story about a Paul in the past changing history.

6. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Vaermina, no.

With the way Time Trapper Paul restructured time retroactively that's no longer possible. The inciting incident of that event can never occur again because all possible timelines exist at once, which removes his drive to make it happen. This is a self-maintaining time paradox and leads into the basic idea of Quantum Immortality, just applied to "canon" instead of living forever.

There can be no retroactive alterations or any issues caused by manipulating the time stream from anyone because that would only create a new timeline, which means the events we see must be the natural "canon" of the universe (and I've been very specifically ignoring the fact that, by being a fanfiction, WTR is inherently AU because you just ignored that the last time you were this wrong) and few if any of those past, Pre-Paul events are canon within Young Justice.

Once more, Zoat nor I nor anyone else in the thread is at fault for your lack of reading comprehension, only you can be blamed for not reading a story you can't stop mocking because you think it's shit. To which I must say, if you've written before, as I know you have, why not do your own? If you're so self-assured that your way is the better way do it.

Genuinely, go do it yourself. Prove literally everyone in this thread wrong and make the better story. I will send you real, actual money if you can manage it if that's what it takes. List an amount, so long as it's below say 300$, and I will fucking get it to you.

Edit because I forgot to mention it like a dummy:Money comes after the story obviously. I'm not doing a commission here, just placing a bet. Make a story I can say has genuinely caught my interest for, like, five chapters and you'll get that money if you tell me where to send it.

7. Amrynel

Amrynel Wat.

Short answer: If you're Superman, yes.

Longer answer: If it helps you manifest your visualization of extending your tactile telekinesis - or whatever you call the ability that lets you lift entire buildings/continents* using "just" two human-sized hands in complete disregard of the normal limits of structural integrity - into the wave to pull it with you, then yes.

Kind of like a Jedi lifting a hand when using the Force - theoretically it's not needed, but practically either the particular Jedi finds it easier doing it or needs to do it to get into the mindset that it's going to work so that it does work.

*or if you're Silver Age Superman, even tow a galaxy's worth of inhabited planets at once without harming them.

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Bio-electric aura.

Superboy's tactile telekinesis was based on Superman's bio-electric aura.

Prince Charon and Assblaster5000 like this.
  9. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Thank you man. I’ve been avoiding the discussions because I always, always see his negative replies.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  10. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would recommend setting Vaermina to ignored like Darko said. I won't do it personally because calling them out on these things is entertaining for me, as is watching them make a fool of themselves with nonsense arguments, but if you don't want to deal with them that'd be your best bet.

Vorian, Lord Ernest and Khornelius like this.
  11. Threadmarks: Compass (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    18:33 GMT -5

BOOM!

I follow the Forevercar through-.

"Lightray, what is that vehicle actually called?"

"The Whiz Wagon."

I follow the Forevercar through the boom tube to a point-. To a point on the surface of Qualar IV, no doubt terrifying the native population into a collective coma.

"Serifan? Why are we in the atmosphere?"

"They's all going to be terrified whatever we do. Least this way we don't waste time."

I scan yep, yep, every native within hearing range of the boom has indeed fainted. Fortunately, they've designed their vehicles and appliances with the fact that the operators might collapse at any time with no notice into account. Might be an export market for narcoleptics on Earth, if the shipping distance wasn't completely ridiculous.

Vykin turns his head towards me. "Can you locate our destination?"

Ring?

"You could get that view of the stars from almost anywhere on this planet at different parts of the year. Between the annual snow and… Time, there isn't a precise match to the rock formation anywhere."

B'dg looks up at the sky. "Shouldn't this planet have their Green Lantern on speed dial?"

Lightray smiles. "Would they phone the Green Lantern all of the time, or faint before they made it to the handset?"

"They do have a Green Lantern, but he's insane."

Bear frowns. "Would a world of cowards call a brave man insane?"

"Yes, but I mean, the reason why he doesn't faint is because he hallucinates that there's no threat to him. He once beat a war fleet while firmly believing that the ships were some sort of biting fly."

B'dg narrows his eyes at me. "Get out."

"The Sector's other Lantern is a hypochondriac, but he's otherwise rational."

"And how do you know that?"

I shrug. "My homeworld has two actively serving Honour Guard Green Lanterns and sometimes they share personnel files."

Or more honestly, Guy likes to bad mouth his more useless colleagues.

Vykin turns to Dreamer. "Dreamer, can you feel where the image we saw occurred?"

She looks around somewhat blankly, before shaking her head.

Hm. Okay.

I turn up my empathic vision, the world of light fading away and being replaced by the colours of sentiment. The fear of the locals is omnipresent, but not actually all that strong. They're used to their own fear response, and know that a lot of the things that trigger it aren't actually all that dangerous. They've all fallen down -Perdoo aside- and they've all gotten back up again. They're not afraid of fear, but they are afraid of not feeling fear.

Why?

Connect to a medical database…

Ah, that makes sense. Certain types of serious injury turn the fear response off. If they're not afraid, they're in a great deal of trouble.

Why would Ub'x come here?

Their technology is interesting in how unconsciousness-friendly it is. Their social organisation is peacefully unified, because anything else was just impractical. They have no interest at all in travelling in space and are generally unambitious, because anything else is just impractical. Their music is… Very soothing, actually.

Moonrider looks at me. "Did you hear something?"

"Just trying to work out why Ub'x came here. Or… Wherever, if not here. Then I got the Wiki disease and started following links. Can you imagine what music a people like this would create?"

"Something which could not possibly cause alarm."

"Yes. I'm going to see if I can buy an export licence for their musical catalogue."

"Why?"

"After being Anti-Lifed, I suspect that my homeworld could do with some soothing music. Anyway, I've got no idea why Ub'x would be here. Indigo Lanterns tend to recruit people who are pretty darn evil, but these people couldn't do evil if they wanted to."

"Perhaps one of them wanted to be able to do evil very much."

"Maybe. What's with the staff?"

He hesitates, then raises it a little. "I am usually incisive. The Source granted me the power to control lightning, but it's.. not.. just.. lightning. It's focus and certainty. I never hesitated and I never doubted before.. we were taken to Apokolips. I made this staff-" He looks at it for a moment. "-because I will not let my weakness prevent me from fighting. But…"

"You don't sound incisive."

"I am not. Being incisive resulted in us being imprisoned on Apokolips. It resulted in Infinity Man being turned into that abomination. I can't trust my own judgements, so I hesitate. But if I don't hesitate, something like that could happen again."

Vykin is looking at Moonrider, a guilty expression on his face. I suppose that when a man whose whole thing is being incisive lets you decide on tactics, it's a blow when they can't trust themselves any more because that means that by extension they can't trust you either.

"And I'm afraid that you telling me that that's just how things are sometimes won't help."

"Then I suppose that it's the difference between knowing that you don't know what the right thing to do is, and knowing when you do know what the right thing to do is."

"I don't think that I understand."

"All the wars I've started, and I honestly couldn't tell you whether any particular one was right or not." I shrug. "I know that the people I and others on my behalf fought were very bad people. I know that them being gone or at least forcibly reformed makes the universe a better place. But I'll go to my grave-" Again. "-not knowing for certain whether I did it in the best way I could. If there was another approach I could have taken. Because a lot of people who would have lived have died because I made the choices that I did."

"I thought that you did things because you wanted to."

"No, that's entry level stuff. I pursue ends because I want to achieve them. But that doesn't mean that I magically know what the best way to reach that end is. And I have to go for it anyway, and if I'm wrong… Try to fix what I broke, because-."

"That's how life is. As you told Dreamer."

"Yeah. I'm afraid that you are going to make the wrong decisions sometimes, or get put in a place where there's only a 'least bad' decision and no way to tell which one it is. But getting paralysed with indecision is worse, because it guarantees that whoever you're supposed to be fighting can do whatever they want."

"I see."

"Did that help?"

"I don't know. I suppose I'll find out next time I have to make a decision."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    boo600, batrax, Neruz and 144 others like this.
  12. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Paul having to play therapist is great

13. Parzival95

Parzival95 Not too sore, are you?

Did you mean indecisive? You used incisive several times and it doesn’t seem to fit.

Ardy, Bud-E, Jroetzer and 2 others like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is one of the few times I agree with Paul's habit of not referring to things as they are.

This is the planet of those aliens that are capable of great amounts of fear.

I'm now picturing something straight out of Futurama with robot hands coming out and cradling them while they change their underwear for peeing in them.

"He once"

Kinda like how not feeling pain after a major injury is a sign that shit is very, very bad on a human.

Someone may be evil here, or he came to help them.

Unless one of them has some neurological condition that can make them into a psychopath or sociopath.

The last guy we saw him recruit apparently had a condition that made him an outcast, so he may have come for another one.

As a doctor, presumably a medical kind, his compassion may be directed towards those he thinks are sick.

"Moonrider"

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It would be very very odd if their music effected humans the same way.

Cuchulin and kerleth like this.
  16. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

On the contrary. Vykin is saying that him being so incisive and believing so much in his decisions is what caused the Forever People getting captured. Right now he thinks he should've been more doubtful or hestitated before just rushing along with the others.

17. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

Paul is out here about to rationalize Anti-Life into a non-factor.

18. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Moonrider seems to have a similar power set to pre-beatdown Zeus. What happened in the end with Susano-o-no-Mikoto?

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, yes. The other vehicle that's so iconic to the Forever People. Though others have used it too. Still, as amazing as it's made out to be... It's rather silly-looking. Like someone made a real-life Hot Wheels 'Imaginary' car.

Yeah, new Gods seem to have a very unconventional naming convention. Usually in as comic-booky a manner as possible. :p

Oh, these guys. The fainting goats of the Galaxy. :p

I get the feeling this was a defensive trait against predation that never got evolved out. Nice to see their culture accounts for it.

So probably not this planet. Still, an interesting chance to see some sights.

I would hope they have some manner of auto-detection network. Though I rather suspect they don't have the constitution for rocket launches... So any satellites would have had to have been placed by outsiders.

That depends on how he's brave. In this case, being hallucination-prone would do it nicely.

No, he's serious. There's a Wiki link up there and everything! :D

An interesting departure from the usual anthropomorphism. Worth noting that he still has four limbs, but all four are arms...

But you don't need to tell Bd'g that. Also, let's not mention the other two Sector Lanterns from Earth, or the Blue Lantern. :p I'm sure his credulity only stretches so far.

Not enough psychic resonance, I suppose.

Yes, very much sounds like a predation response. There's a neurological condition that makes the fainting goats faint, but I would expect that's something fixable.

Ah. That's... Quite a thing. And entirely reasonable.

...OL, are you hitting up their equivalent of Youtube to check out their music scene during a mission? :rolleyes:

I hope the memetic term translates. No doubt there are new Gods of Learning who enter the same kind of encyclopaedic distraction trance-state.

...Huh. I bet it's something like smooth jazz. Muzak. Entirely soothing and calming...

...Unless they're as abnormal as the local Lantern, OL. Though I would hope they could deal with that sort of lunacy.

Oof, watch the swerve in the train of thought there, OL. Reminds me of the tone of some of the Mass Effect 'Investigate' options in conversations...

...I though Vykin controlled magnetics? Or is his power a general sort of 'Electromagnetic manipulation thing'? Create electrical discharges using counter-rotating magnetic fields or stuff like that? On the upside, a staff would make it safer to aim lightning bolts.
    Edit: Okay, got confused by the conversational swerve, and the fact that Vykin has magnetic powers, while Mark Moonrider has electrokinesis. Though that's a fortuitous combination, given the way they can interact.

Something of a conundrum. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. He's afraid to take a decisive action, in case it gets his friends into the same trouble they had before. But he can't stand idle because he's the leader.

Yeah, that logic is a bit twisty for most unenlightened people, OL. Walk us through it?

And there's no playguide for Life. At least, for most people. Those in time-loops could probably work one out as they go. :cool: Especially if they realise there's no consequences from one to the next.

Of course, you can't spend all your time fixing what you broke, or you'll never do anything.

Can't let fear of the consequences prevent you from doing.

Hopefully it won't be a critical one.

I expect we'll get more scenes like this as we go. OL taking a moment between planetary transitions to speak with his companions one at a time. It's not going to fix every issue they have. But maybe the right words can get them back on the path to being okay with themselves again. And sometimes, that can make all the difference. Especially if you're trying for a Golden Ending. :p

...Were these meant to be like that, or did you mean 'Forevercar'?
    But getting paralysed with indecision is worse...

20. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I think you can substitue "decisive" for incisive and you'll understand the meaning well enough.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He became Billy's new patron for the Power bit of the Captain Marcel package.

I guess billy now says Shasam to activate his powers, or Susano changed his name to Zusano.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and Caerwen like this.
  23. 012345

012345 Well worn.

Why it feels this trip is more about Paul helping Forever People to get better then finding Indigo Lantern?

And that after he help all of them throught their issues while also running out of leads their quary will apear on their own because they were watching Group to judge them. Or Allfather as thanks for helping Forever People will just point Paul where he need to go.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So basically playing possum.

We've all had that problem from time to time.

He was talking to Moonrider, not Vykin.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I remember Mr Zoat saying somewhere that although Susanoo-no-Mikoto offered that, some kind of workaround was found instead so that Billy can still access Zeus' power even though Zeus himself can't.

Signaller and Cuchulin like this.
  26. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ Dystopian Hugs

Obligatory

My homeworld has more lanterns than any sector.

Forget Earth.
    I hear that Krypton is nice this time of year.

kerleth and Lord Ernest like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

No. If he ended up on Apokolips as a result of being indecisive he'd resolve to be more incisive. He firmly believes that his focus meant that he didn't pause to consider different options.
    Thank you, corrected.

28. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I believe his name is Serifan?

29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘whose whole’

These aliens remind me of Pierson’s Puppeteers, including with some of them being insane and therefore less afraid. I always liked those guys.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.