1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules of the site - Necromancy

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Navrin, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

See above what Elgee said to GiftofLove. PMs and profile posts are a thing.

Ddmkm122 and Derek58 like this.
  2. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

Why don't you ban any non-story posts right away, and refer people to PMs? I'd have thought questions about a story would be relevant anyway.

3. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

You can be relevant without annoying others.

Look, as much as you may not like the rule, the reality is that most necros (AKA as 90%+ of them)? They're pretty much just a thread bump with a weak cover like a bump or a question about when this will update again or a one-liner comment.

4. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

And how does that annoy people? Why do you cater to the kind of posters who do not use their alerts, but not to the posters who write stories, and would like more feedback - even if it happens to be posted after 5 weeks instead of 4 weeks?

Ddmkm122, SilvCrest and Navrin like this.
  5. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

What does alerts have to do with anything?

Also, I don't like necromancy, it only gives hope that is dashed.

6. Starfox5

Starfox5 Experienced.

The alert tells you who updated. That usually tells you right away if it was a necro or an update.

Kirius7100, Ddmkm122 and Navrin like this.
  7. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Because people watching a thread get an alert that someone's replied to it, but the alert tells them who the first new reply was; if it's not the OP, it's almost certainly not a story post. So there's no hope to dash. There's only hope to dash if you're browsing directly and recognise the name... and threadmarks and new-post/read-post flags help with that as well.
    Assuming for a minute that you're right, why is that actually a problem? As I've said, there will usually be people who haven't yet read a work who get to read it because of the bump; it's not bad for them to get 30 minutes in the spotlight except in the sense of "oh I read a dead fic now I'm sad" which you're basically signing up for by reading fanfiction in the first place (I mean let's not delude ourselves here, what percentage of serial fanfic actually ends? 20%? Less?) and the theoretical sense of "well if every author constantly bumped everything they wrote that would be a problem" which is not going on here (indeed, comment bumps select for interesting works because uninteresting works don't draw comment). And the author will usually enjoy comments, so that's another plus (if it's badgering for updates the author can ask for a lock and I've no problem with them getting it).

I mean works that exist exist forevermore; relevance to them doesn't diminish with time, which is why I have that policy in the first place. Why must you stymie me?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  8. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Becasue it piss off people, that's why. You may be cool with it, but don't assume the same of others.

9. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

And now you've exchanged a small group of people being mildly pissed off for ten seconds every week for a slightly smaller group of people being mildly pissed off for eternity.

And we just spent the last page systematically debunking the only reason that's ever been given for hating necromancy. The point is that maybe you ought to rethink your knee-jerk response rather than hiding behind a mob who shares it. Then you wouldn't be pissed off, we wouldn't be pissed off, and we would have a nice, friendly, tolerant forum.

10. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

And who say it's 'my group' that is small?

If I have anything to say about it, that rule is here to stay. Period.

11. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

I'm half considering leaving the forum before I entered it. (This is my first post. I hope it gets through.) This discussion is just silly. I think I count maybe one other poster agreeing with Megaolix, and everyone else disagrees, including what appears to be the other mod. (Should there be a poll? I think that's a good idea - we can find what group is larger and smaller directly.)
    But that (leaving the forum, that is) would be very sad, because I need an account to read NSFW stories, which is what I signed up for in the first place (darn Ack for not putting updates on AO3).

So let's make a compromise: I come from AlternateHistory.com, a site with a well enforced necromancy policy. (The only reason it's not directly in the rules is because it doesn't have codified rules the way SB and SV do.)
    However, the figures on it are very different: a post is considered necromancy if there had been at least 6-7 months since the last post on this thread (in which case, typically, nothing is done to the user except a warning, but the thread is locked).
    So just change the 1 month figure here to 6 months, and you'll probably have the approval of much more members. (Of course, you'll get even more if you abandoned that idea entirely, but whatever.)

Way too many SB quest threads died (got locked for necromancy) just because the next vote came 15, or 16, or 25 days later. QQ has much less activity, so it should not be unreasonable to make the grace period much larger.
    Maybe apply it to NSFW content only? There's little enough SFW content as it is - threads at the bottom of the second page of main Creative Writing would now be necros if posted in, and only the top 10 SFW quests (maybe 11 if that one gets a really quick reply) are now allowed to continue unless posted into by the author.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

How about no?

We're not locking threads unless there's a serious necro problem on it (as in having several encros) and no one even got punished for real about it ever to this day. So it's lax enough as it is.

13. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I've always felt that locking threads is a contributor to them dying.

Sure, the GM could contact a mod and get it unlocked, but the fact that it's locked is just one more hurdle in the way of continuing the story.

I don't care about necros, I never have. Sure, it's rude to bump a thread that's months old, but it doesn't hurt anyone, and the whole "retaliation mob" thing that shows up afterwards is far more annoying

As for the topic itself...

If there isn't a rule against it, then you shouldn't be punishing it. It doesn't matter if you just give out warnings or what, if it's not against the rules then it's not against the rules.

The solution is obvious (which is why it was mentioned in the first post) Either make a rule against it, or stop trying to enforce it.

14. Xicree

Xicree Destroy and Rejoice!

Well if it's a post of some level of content (Like an Omake or art or something of the like) then I'd say it really isn't a necro.

Is my 2 cents.

Ddmkm122 and Silvercrystal like this.
  15. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Yes, that's in the official rule. Posts with actual content are not necros.

16. Cambrian

Cambrian The Pimperor - Inspirational as Fuck

Unfortunate, if only because I would love it if someone saw one of my stories after it being done a few months and bumped it with a question/comment so that maybe others who had never read it would see it for the first time.

On the other hand, I both understand how annoying it would be to those who have already read my completed stories to suddenly think there's been an update, and on the third hand, nobody ever actually bumps my finished stories with questions or comments anyways so that's always been mostly a pipe dream.

So in the end, necros really don't bother me and I welcome feedback on my stories no matter how old they are, but I get why the rule had to be made. Hmm, I'll add a line to my sig about PMing or profile posting me if anyone wants to talk about my past stories.

Ddmkm122, january1may and Xicree like this.
  17. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Now that you mention it, there are authors who disable both profile access and PMs for the general userbase. Reinhard Von Lohengramm, for example. What should I do if I want to say something to him about one of his stories?

Ddmkm122 and SilvCrest like this.
  18. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Profile posts.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. Navrin

Navrin Experienced.

I'm confused. How can you make a profile post on somebody whose profile you cannot open?

Ddmkm122, SilvCrest and Priapus like this.
  20. useless101

useless101 Doing Nothing, Nothing Doing.

If someone doesn't want to be communicated with, and has gone to that level to ensure it, then that's an unhappy thing for us all, but that's their decision.

It doesn't really justify going around their privacy policy to annoy both them and everyone who dislikes necromancy. Not that it'll stop people. I know I've unwatched threads because they've been bumped long after the last time they had worthwhile content, and that always feels like chopping off a diseased limb.

So, sadly, we're all screwed in that case.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  21. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Besides, it's an exception more than the norm. If you SERIOUSLY want to talk to such a guy about a story more than one month without posts, we'll see then.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. VorpalMedia

VorpalMedia Not too sore, are you?

The same could be said in reverse. Just because it pissed you off, doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

I've seen arguments like this before (and accidentally started one when I first found SB) and it's often more disruptive when you get five posts of "BURN THE NECRO" than when someone gives a different perspective on a story, potentially giving new life to the thread and restarting the OP's inspiration.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

"Burn the necro" is obviously disruptive. Also, I believe, against the rules. As is thread necromancy when you don't add anything to it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  24. sunspark

sunspark Experienced.

And this is why I hate thread necromancy rules. The self-righteous bullshit that gets posted every time it happens. Can we get something added to that rule that doing anything more than reporting it is also infractable?

Ddmkm122, Happerry and Navrin like this.
  25. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

Hey Xryuran, thanks for your necromancy. I wouldn't have found that otherwise.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  26. Rinn

Rinn Coffee Addict

There's an easier solution: Follow the rules and DON'T NECRO.

Ddmkm122 and Walkir like this.
  27. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

Better solution, people stop whining about necros.

28. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Best solution: Don't necro, ignore necro, adore nekraa.

29. sunspark

sunspark Experienced.

Why is reporting and not posting the harder solution? (Since at that point, the necro has already happened, and I've accepted that the mods aren't going to remove the rule because of people like you.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. 1986ctcel

1986ctcel Connoisseur.

/me pats and does best Picard impression: "Aye Mr Nekraa (I'll) MAKE IT SO!"

:p

Ddmkm122 likes this.