1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I wonder if Paul is going to realize that he also name-dropped Superman by his Kryptonian name during the conversation.

2. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

No, I think that's right as-is. "People" as singular noun meaning roughly "ethnicity", "peoples like that" meaning species/races/ethnicities who are extremely but not wholly evil.

moralrelativity likes this.
  3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why did Paul create a construct of Zod? Is it because he fears him? I thought Paul's fears were more existential.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, as in 'multiple entire civilisations'.
    Thank you, corrected.
    He didn't. That happened in response to the fears of Amalak and Company.

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

You may have noticed that the Yellow Ring was analysing first OL's fear (Death) then Soranik Natu's (Sinestro.) When Amalak approached, it locked onto him and projected what he feared: Zod. And yes, while he hates kryptonians and Zod in particular, he also fears him in nearly-equal amounts. To quote a certain muppet: Fear leads to Anger...

kerleth, Silveraith, BR549 and 9 others like this.
  6. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

Nothing about this particular statement, just the orange quotes.

Does Paul's enlightenment continue when he is not wearing his Orange Rings, and evidently while wearing a Yellow-ish ring?

I don't recall this happening before when he was ringless, but I may not have been paying attention.

7. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Enlightenment is a property of the soul or maybe the connection to the emotional planes (I’m not sure). It doesn’t have anything to do with power rings, except that it makes using them easier.

We have seen several characters that were enlightened despite never having contact with a power ring.

kerleth, Silveraith, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  8. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

For examples of Duke statement Dr Balewa is supposed to have white enlightenment that Mr Zoat sometimes forgets. In the Renegade the red lantern detective had rage enlightenment before Grayven gave him a red ring, we have seen monks with green quotations.

In short enlightenment is a frame of mind and state of the soul, you don't need any ring to be enlightened, but being enlightened usually makes people a better ring user and also reduces the basic weakness of disruption by making the lantern feel different emotions.

9. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Remember when he used to use a stone to check for listening devices?

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

: instead of ;

11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Bud-E

Could Paul have just lied to Amalak or omitted the info that there is a Phantom Zone Projector on Earth?

13. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

I mean, Amalak heard Paul say that he utilized a Phantom Zone Projector. Meaning that Paul either has access or knows how to get access to one.

14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Of course, Zod's going to get out, isn't he?

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If he does, I hope Paul is there to thwart him.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The knowledge that the remnants of his people will now sleep more peacefully now that one of their biggest monsters is dead.

If you're starving and are offered some food, but the food will be the last piece you ever eat you'd probably still eat it.

He may be able to find them on his own since he probably has equipment to track Kryptonian tech.

I mean there are actually a number of good reasons to help Amalak here.

He's being a civilized force in Vega and if he goes to Earth to kill Zod because he was denied by Paul then the region could experience chaos, plus Earth gets invaded.

If Amalak invades then he will probably bring along his people as soldiers and if any of them die then his race is closer to extinction, while killing Zod will only get rid of one guy.

It's honestly also a good idea to get the prisoners out of the Phantom Zone.

They don't age and apparently some of them have been in there much longer than their sentence was supposed to be since Krypton blew up.

This means that there are now potentially a bunch of emotionally scarred and violent people that are ageless.

In the show we saw how Zod was able to use that to his advantage.

Getting them out where they can age and one day die is good both to help the ones that need it and to make sure that the ones that are beyond help won't become a problem in the future.

They might have access to the only Phantom Zone projector at the moment, but can they give a 100% guarantee that that will always be the case.

A thousand years from now it may be activated and release a dangerous prisoner, like it happened in the Legion of Superheroes cartoon, or someone may start experimenting and discover a way to the Zone and release a prisoner by accident.

See the above.

17. Threadmarks: Pyrrhucy (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

14th February 2013
    11:47 GMT -6

"…which isn't ideal, but it's the best I-."

I pointedly raise my left eyebrow at Sunset as I work on assembling the device.

"We can come up with."

Batman's only half paying attention as he feeds her data into his computer system. Of course, half his attention is at least as much as the full attention of a normal man. Mr. Zatara on the other hand appears genuinely fascinated by the thaumaturgical element of the work.

"And these devices will maintain the separation of the mundane world from the Dream?"

"Sort of." I seal the exterior of the device. "Technically, it uses the dissonance generated by the existing merger to reinforce the rules of the prevailing paradigm. It's a little like how New God technology empowers our souls, only using the entire Earth's thaumosphere rather than a New God. The drawback is that it doesn't make what he's doing impossible… Because-."

He nods. "Because we can still dream. It cannot be cut off completely."

I remember the Sandman comic where Morpheus was bound in a magic circle.

"Not… Easily. And the side effects would be severe even if it was successful, so I'd really rather not. So he could work around it. Or just send people to destroy them, because we're going to have to put them around Atlantean territory."

Batman calls up a new image, the spread of Atlantis's dream overlaid with a map of the surrounding ocean and closest landmasses.

"Do you have anything that will allow us to act within Atlantis without being ensnared?"

"Any New God could do it. The Source defines us, not dreams. Other than that, I don't think so. Sunset?"

"Uuuuhhhhmmmmmm…" She sighs. "I hate to say it, but I don't know if I could survive without being dragged in. Luna probably could… Or at least she could learn really quickly."

I frown. "'Learn really quickly' isn't good enough when the penalty is you get swept up in the dream magic of the man who caused the Bronze Age Collapse because he didn't like surface people getting above their station."

"Nonsense, Our-." Human form Luna staggers in wearing completely flat shoes along with New God armour. "Our consort. We are well-equipped to comprehend the baleful magics yon magician has unleashed."

"Luna, darling, have you ever swum before? In either form?"

She gives me a look of mild affront. "Have you ever entered another's dream before? In either form?"

"No, but-."

"With how dreamlike the realm of Atlantis hath become, We will be able to walk there with even less effort than We do upon the land."

"Princess Luna." She turns to Batman, swaying slightly but managing to remain upright. "Are you certain that is how your magic and the magic of Atlantis will interact?"

"Naught is certain, but 'tis the most likely eventuality. If it is not, then We will know once We pass the threshold. Should it not be so, we will simply have to swallow our pride once more and evacuate."

"Unless you want the old…" I make a poking gesture with my right hand. "Upgrade, Bat-God. Or…"

Oh.

"Not unless it's essential."

"No, I just-. Okay, in theory, something that could exist within the Atlantean mythos should be able to function within the dream… Zone.. thing. If it works like we think it does. Except I don't see someone like Ahri'ahn doing this unless he could put his finger on the scales, if you see what I mean. I think Diana would be fine without a connection to the Source. And I imagine the Shade will shrug it off like he does most things. But this… This shouldn’t be possible without Morpheus's tolerance, and he's usually not keen on people messing around with the fabric of the Dream."

"Morpheus. The Greek deity."

"No, Batman." Mr. Zatara shakes his head. "Morpheus is far older and more powerful than the Greek pantheon."

I nod. "And he's still a bit peeved about that time a small group of humans locked him in a basement for seventy years, so we're kind of coming in at the low ebb of his tolerance for tomfoolery. I don't know what Ahri'ahn did to get around that. I couldn't even begin to speculate."

"I assume that if the world's governments send envoys, they will simply end up entranced."

Sunset nods. "There's an outside chance that they'll snap back when they cross the threshold coming out. Or they'll stay as whatever the Atlanteans dream foreign diplomats are like for the rest of their lives. Or… They might propagate the effect back to their home countries."

Batman nods slowly. He-.

"Mister Grayven?"

I raise my right hand to my ear. "Yes, Jean?"

"General Lane wishes to speak with you."

I make eye contact with Batman, who nods. "Put him on."

"Grayven."

"General Lane. I assume this is about our friends in the Atlantic?"

"Yeah, I've got… Some difficulty with some generals who are talking about some fairly extreme options, and I wanted to get your take on it first."

"Ah, you're on speaker and Batman's here, so we can both chip in. Go ahead."

"Okay, well let's get it out of the way: what happens if we nuke them?"

"Depends on how high up the bomb is when it detonates. My best guess is that if it was set for ground detonation then it would cease to exist once it passed the country's threshold."

Batman nods. "That is the estimate the Justice League is working with."

"And an altitude detonation?"

"We don't know exactly where the threshold starts, so-."

"What do you mean by 'threshold'?"

"Very simply, they're manipulating the laws of physics to make floating Atlantis possible. Manipulating to the point where they can say 'nukes don’t exist' or 'pressure waves aren't a thing'. We're working on a way to shut that down, but… Sorry, unless you've got an ancient magician you haven't told me about, then there isn't-."

"Yes. We do."

I blink. "You do?"

"Calls himself Nommo Balewa. Turned up at the Pentagon just after this started. He seems to be taking what Ahri'ahn's doing kinda personally. Is he the real deal?"

"Doctor Mist?" I nod. "He's ancient and a magician. I don't know how good he is, but people don't live as long as he has by being weak."

"I'll see if I can convince the President to send him your way. You're in Challenger Mountain?"

"Until I deploy, yes."

"What's the worst that could happen?"

"Ahri'ahn expands his magic to the entire world and turns everyone into willing thralls convinced of the supremacy of Atlantis and Atlantean culture. Sufficient to say, we're not wearing kid gloves on this one."

"Okay. Let me know when you leave."

"Will do. End." I sigh as I regard Batman. "So other than Luna and myself, who are we sending?"

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It makes sense that something this big would draw Doctor Mist out. Now I'm assuming that part of the reason Ahri'ahn didn't try something like this in the Paragon timeline is because Doctor Mist is more active and he knows that he would get immediately smacked down before he could even get things started with someone of Doctor Mist's caliber on high alert.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, you're not exactly a New God, but Luna has experience with dream magic, so she may be better equipped.

He either imprisoned him, or maybe struck some kind of deal.

I imagine there are quite afraid things he could do for Dream.

They'd just get a big lightshow.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Either that or like I mentioned in a previous post, he may not see much of a need to.

Paragon Atlantis is thriving and expanding its influence.

It may not be necessarily in the way Ahri'ahn likes it, but it's happening.

Renegade Ahri'ahn on the other came to a time where his magic was being used in a way that he didn't like and Atlantis wasn't thriving as much as the paragon version, so he may have seen the need to do this.

21. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Is Ahri'ahn even active in the Paragon timeline? I can't recall if we have seen him there, off the top of my head. And not like it would be relevant right now, with the planet being all Anti-Life'd.

Nice to see that Grayven and the others have a plan, though. I'm still uncertain how the hell Ahri'ahn managed all this under everyone's nose. I can't buy Dream cooperating, and I imagine the spell would be pretty big and complex in preparation, so how did no one send word on it to their surface allies? These lentils are really black, is what I'm saying.

22. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

That is a good question.

The two obvious solutions: He had a bribe major enough to make Dream give him a pass. Or he learned about the bumbling amatures that managed to trap him, so decided to show Dream how a legendary Archmage does it.

If it's the latter, Dream is going to be pissed. Like, it might be necessary to kill him, because having one of the Endless that angry at humanity isn't something we're likely to survive. At least, not in out current state.

The cats got retconned into being small domesticated animals. Let's not tempt Dream into one-upping that.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Right. I expect she's been busy checking their hypothesis, and made sense of the ongoing effect Ahri'ahn is using. Still, a lot of risk in a presumably untested thaumitech device. Which means someone will have to go test it, won't they... :oops:

I never read Giovanni as the analytical sort of mage. Still, the spellwork is no doubt novel even to his eyes.

So, in effect, they'll be carrying their own little bubble of their normal with them. Wonder if it affects people they touch too, or if it's solely personal.

Outbreaks of people trapped in endless sleep or constant insomnia, at best. Yes, rather severe.

Hopefully, it isn't expanding. That would be even worse.

She would be largely unchanged no matter what, I suspect. Or more likely to become more of herself.

I wonder if very high heels would help her walk more easily, with the similarity to her equine posture... Though human feet aren't really designed to be en pointe all the time.

Ooh, good comeback. Certainly not something he's done unaided. Much less in physical form.

Not quite a reality warper, but I expect any magic she can use in human form will be much stronger. Heck, she might be able to use pony magic without changing.

If you're able to. Ahri'ahn's spell might not allow people to leave.

Heh. I bet he just got a dose of the Bat-Stare. Which makes me wonder what a staredown between Fluttershy and Batman would be like. :p

In effect, Ahri'ahn would be able to... Encourage people to think how he wants them to think, you mean. Which makes it even more insidious.

I suspect the myths of Morpheus the Olympian are simply tales of when he was wooing Calliope back in the day.

Still a lot of assumptions about what Morpheus might be thinking about this. It could be that he simply hasn't noticed what Ahri'ahn's doing, or dismissed it as a momentary disturbance in his realm.

So, quarantine them, just in case.

Ah, surprised he hadn't tried to get in touch sooner.

Ah, a conference call of sorts.

Let me guess, the hard men are getting hard-ons about tossing some 'sunshine in a can' at the problem? :p

Only polite to let your caller know others can hear him.

And that's assuming Ahri'ahn doesn't simply prevent them entering the area of control at all. I expect he's been told what nuclear weapons are by now.

Time it wrong, and all you'll be doing is making one hell of a fireworks show.

Not a stretch to assume Ahri'ahn can do that within the area he controls, after all.

That's a recent development, I would suspect.

Ah, finally he shows himself in the Renegade timeline. I guess the Renegade's actions weren't noteworthy enough to him yet...

And it wouldn't take long to redirect him to the Renegade's location in any case.

All hands on deck for the face-punching brigade, eh?

Confident, aren't you, Renegade?

I see the heroes haven't been idle in the face of Ahri'ahn's little display. Nor have the world's governments. All those oddball emergency plans coming out, eh? Wonder if anyone did the 'powerful magician lifts Atlantis from the sea floor' as a project? :p And the Renegade taking the 'it's all up to me' approach to reconnaissance, too. Foolhardy.

...so we're kind of coming in at the low ebb of his tolerance for tomfoolery.
    "Okay, well let's get it out of the way: what happens if we nuke them?"

24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

..... Is he under the assumption that Morpheus has been freed?

25. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

He should be. By the time the SI happens, Morpheus has not only been freed, he has already been replaced if I remember correctly.

26. Bud-E

Has it ever been explained where this Ahri'ahn has been for the last few millennia? Was he just messing around, did he fake his death, or did he come back to life to make Atlantis into a powerhouse?

27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's explained that he's been time travelling forward. He just happened to stop at this point in the Renegade timeline because he thinks he can succeed in his plans here, plus his distaste for what the Un-Men are doing.

Otto von Saurion, Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Daniel is still human in this timeline. The Renegade hasn't checked, though.

29. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Random thought; best description of the endless, they're primordials like the Titans but on a universal level not just a planetary.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Mandated version of Dream Baghdad seemed to exist without Dream having a problem with it, so maybe he just doesn't care about something like this.