1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. boo600

boo600 Welp

Speaking of speedsters, Mr Zoat, I’m assuming that the Black Racer won’t be coming into play? You said earlier that the only things Apokolips could do to beat the League were Numbers or Darkseid (because New Gods aren’t Kryptonian-powerful, even if they are powerful with absurdly good tech and Godspeech)… but if Darkseid has control over a speedster with a death touch, that seems like a pretty easy slaughterfest.

…also, Darkseid himself can really outclass them via Anti-Life and soul antics alone, from the looks of it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Darkseid owning the Black Racer is post flashpoint silliness.

And as such, unlikely to be used by Zoat.

Vorian and boo600 like this.
  3. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Then I'm going to guess that the fleet is Mongul's. Paul recruited Mother of Mercy from him, and it was clear that he would want revenge, but there never ended up being a follow-up to that. Mongul clearly hates the Reach, so instead of directly attacking the Orange Lantern Corp, he's sent a fleet to the homeworld of the man who took from him. 'The fact that they planted explosives could even be a hint, since Paul had to deal with that when he rescued Mother of Mercy.

Besides that, there's a limited amount of aliens that are likely behind this. You might even be able to count them on only one hand.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Threadmarks: Pyrrhucy (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

14th February 2013
    13:31 GMT -5

They haven't punched through with force, I notice almost immediately. Rather, they've pushed through and the construct is… Almost treating them like they're part of it, merging with-.

My eyes widen slightly as I realise that the orange light is slowly flowing from my construct up grooves in their armour.

External Motivation = External Control

"Kadabra, grab the alien and get down the hole."

"Ah-."

Oh heck. I activate my gauntlet's crumbler function and punch the Justifier's grasping hand! Their hand jerks back, but their armour is only slightly abraded, and… It's acquired a faint orange glow.

"Kadabra. By that rationale we're all controlled by things outside of ourselves." The Justifier recovers and swings with their left hand, prompting me to open a hole in the construct and putting a kinetic barrier in place instead. "We're only a slave to what other people dangle in front of us if we choose to be. If the price is too high, it's always correct to walk away."

He blinks, shaking slightly as he comes back to his senses as I take advantage of the Justifier being off-balance to wrap tungsten chains around their extended arm.

"Yess… Yes." He flicks his wand at the alien, who floats off the ground and then shoots over to the hole. Kadabra then gets on the armour's cuirass before causing it to descend with a wand poke. He rubs his forehead with his left hand as he drops out of sight.

I create a construct plug over the hole behind them and then I give the Justifier my full attention.

"Are you still aware in there?"

"Yes, you said. I'm not sure why you think that changes anything for me. I mean, what's the alternative supposed to be? Purely internal motivation with no reference to the external universe? If I wanted to be a lump of rock I'd have transmuted myself into one."

The Justifier isn't pulling to try to free themselves. I think they're looking at me, but the helmet makes it a little hard to tell. They don't have super strength and they can only absorb my constructs through direct contact. Though concerning, that’s hardly my only avenue of attack.

In fact, since no new Jockeys have appeared and I've got them trapped, I should probably see about getting their helmet off. It's not… An efficient way to undermine Mannheim, because we don't have a safe space to put everyone we could free and we can't even guarantee that we can keep them free. But it looks like Apokolips has a new anti-Lantern ability and so I need to know more about it.

"I'm going to try removing your helmet now. Please, try to stay still."

Background heat and radiation are at levels my armour and environmental shield can easily deal with. I stick a construct manhole cover over the hole I dug, then drop the construct dome.

"I realise that as a Justifier you don't value your life, but please remember that as long as you're alive you have utility to Mannheim."

I transmute a solid metal clamp and attach it to their helmet before trying to find the seal, except… There doesn't seem to be one. No, there it is, but it's currently undone. I can just lift the helmet off.

I don't trust it.

I check very carefully for any sign that there's a booby trap or suicide device, but I can't… See anything.

I give myself construct armour and put a construct shield between us anyway.

"I'm going to lift your helmet off now. I realise that it's going to be a shock, but please try to stay calm."

I use the clamp to pull the helmet off over their-. His head, and-.

And my own face stares back at me.

So that's what he did with… At least one of the clones.

The clone stares at me. He's lost a little fat in his face, and his sclera are reddened by very visible veins, but otherwise… I mean, he's not me; the brains of the clones were blanks that I could load myself into, not conscious and functioning brains in suspended animation. It wouldn't be impossible to… Edit them into something functional, but that wouldn't make the resulting person think anything like me.

Though it probably means that he doesn't have an 'un-Anti-Lifed' form. So in that case I should… Kill him?

There's a flicker of orange in eyes, which… Which is awkward, because it suggests that he can have desires of his own. And if he can do that, then he.. could be his own person.

Okay. Um. There's… Actually no Anti-Life transmitter in his helmet, which means… That his brain is fully acclimatised to the Anti-Life and doesn't need constant reinforcement.

"Can you actually talk?"

He's not… Staring at me with hatred in his eyes. Or any surprise that we share a face. I think that Dr. Balewa might-.

"Boo!"

Hu-?

The light and the pressure's back, but my construct armour can take it. My clone's head on the other hand can't, and it's… He's… Ash. His armour-. What little I can see of it, appears to be surviving intact. So… What was the point? He can't have been trying to make me feel guilty. It might work on some superheroes, but I originally created the clone to body jack.

I shake my head and walk towards the hole. I should fill that in after I drop down, because-.

Charging. Charging. Ch-cha-ch-cha-chaaaaaa…

What? What just-?

There's a… Dark patch in my construct armour. And it's… Expanding, spreading out-.

I try dismissing that part of the construct, and it doesn't happen.

Um.

Move to the plug, activate crumbler gauntlet. Okay, if I get out of-. This armour should be able to take exposure to the aftermath of a low grade nuclear-

"Knock knock!"

E-h!

Ah…

The dark patch is spreading, and I-. My other clones are Anti-Lifed, so that's a no, even if it could have worked. My armour might be able to take nuclear detonations, but not at this close a range. Leaving the area risks the other three and our prisoner.

I don't know what that is. I'd guess something… Anti-Life orientated. Clone-me gets infected and then transfers it into me the same way I would have transferred myself into it. But I've been exposed to the Anti-Life before and while it was unpleasant it didn't have much of a lasting effect. Then again, Mannheim wouldn't do this unless he thought it could work.

I create a new bubble shield and-. It's got the same dull orange permeating it. Push it out, dismiss the cap, step in and start filling it in as I drop. Kadabra and Mahkent can deal with-.

Ah…

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm a bit confused. Does this mean he overcame the Anti-Life infection by attaching himself to the Ophidian?

6. Mr Zoat

Good guess, but no. Mongul has no idea where Earth is.

7. Celtic Spartan

Celtic Spartan Know what you're doing yet?

so paul's been anti-lifed huh? wonder how he'll overcome this one.

8. boo600

boo600 Welp

Thank Zoat for small mercies.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, that's a nasty new trick. Subverting his constructs? Something very wrong with that. This guy must be tailor-made to deal with OL, then. I do wonder how they're managing it, though. Subverting their own desires to read as 'not here' to the construct?

Looks like OL's figuring he's going to have to stay behind and deal with this guy himself...

Well, Abra was dead centre of the broadcaster's area of effect. Only natural that some of it would stick a little too well to him.

Honestly, it's an obvious point of view to someone who's in total control of their desires. Which includes the ability for OL to deny himself the ability to desire something, 'walking away' as it were.

Careful, OL. That sort of thing could get risky, especially if they're broadcasting Anti-Life directly.

Seriously, they're not even speaking it. It's not quite Godspeech, but I suspect it would feel damn close.

And if they're exhibiting the ability to subvert constructs through melee, then it's time to get some distance and toss rocks.

Why do I get the feeling this guy was designed to pique OL's interest that way?

Heh. A nice little logical dodge to make someone that brainwashed not want to suicide by cape.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Or in this case, an unsecured covering.

And somewhere, Mannheim's rubbing his hands and thinking 'All according to keikakuplan'.

Dun-dun-dun!

From the complex Manga Khan had set up in the desert, right? The one OL was using as a forward operating base?

Probably for the best. Especially if there's any kind of Sympathetic mystical connection...

With no soul of its own, it's metaphysique is probably comprised of the chunks of Anti-Life it's been exposed to. So it's little more than a fleshy drone.

What are the chances Mannheim or a lieutenant with psychic powers is remote controlling it right now?

Oh, bugger off, bomb-rats.

Oh, dear. I have the feeling that was planned, because if OL had a connection to the clone to enter it...

...Then it also has a connection to him. And doors can be opened from either side with enough effort.

Oh, hell. The spiritual equivalent of a hacking attempt.

And he's already not thinking clearly. He could move right through the construct, surely, if he wanted to...

And the hits keep on coming.

No way to cleanse himself by respawning, allies to keep safe... This is really not great for his usual methods of problem-solving.

Deal with you, too, if you get subverted...

And it looks like OL's ICE just got broken open... Leaving his Ghost wide open to rewriting.

I get the feeling this is a very specific backup plan Mannheim - or his Master - had set up from the very beginning, as soon as they had the clones. They just need OL to be pinned down long enough to throw a clone at him. Still, OL's not very vulnerable to Anti-Life, and even if they manage to make a little headway, there's a good chance it'll fail...

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This is LePaul's hubris coming home to roost.

He thought it would be fine to faff off and go fight The Reach for a couple weeks because he knew he could just come back and clean things up when that was done.

He thought it would be fine to just leave his clones in Mannheim's hands, because he knew Mannheim wouldn't be able to do anything with them.

11. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Getting reverse body jacked by your anti-lifed duplicate.....got to give the bad guys props for that one.

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

out -> our

13. LanguagAe

LanguagAe Getting sticky.

At least Paul has some experience with yellow and the other colors if orange is infected.

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

I’m a little surprised that Mannheim made specific countermeasures against a guy who has barely been on Earth for the past month, but I suppose he does have access to records that would mark him as a high-priority target, and he did meet him personally, briefly.

Cuchulin, Ardy, boo600 and 4 others like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

"It's not like he's just going to disappear immediately after I take over, is it? I'm sure he'll turn up."

The clones keep staring blankly ahead, making no comment.

"Any moment now."

Vorian, Cuchulin, mossconfig and 23 others like this.
  17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I don't recall how the Illustres was supposed to transfer himself to a clone body in the event of having his current one destroyed. But it seems to me that the clones are being used as some form of sympathetic vectors of infection.

If they're as much Paul as they can be without the soul, get filled with a specific piece of the Anti-Life, and are able to connect to the Illustres by way of making the Orange Light believe that it's just him again, wouldn't that be a backdoor to a forceful implant of the Anti-Life piece?

Honestly, the explanation is that it's a magic trap created by Mannheim and the Illustres seems to have been caught in it, but I'm still curious how it works.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. boo600

boo600 Welp

To be fair, the Reach were able and willing to kill and horrifically brainwash hundreds of billions of people, and Paul tried to help (with Guy’s help) and still barely hurt Finality Man. He just wasn’t that helpful on Earth, and the League had a plan to keep society from immediately imploding in a way that killed everyone. Dealing with the Doom Fleet and his responsibilities, then going for the White Light, actually makes sense.
    It’s just that he needs to survive on Earth to get the Medusa Mask, and he’s having trouble with that.

19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing full stop, I think?

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Only really need one 'off balance' here.

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  23. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

So, random thought. How well does Lord Hades and his realm handle anti-life? Does his afterlife insurance give that?

LanguagAe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  24. LanguagAe

LanguagAe Getting sticky.

Looks like they may have booked it with the rest of paradise island. Maybe to mother of mercy’s ghost world or any of the other spots Paul’s asked hades to grab souls from. Could explain the fleet by the moon if they’ve made enough of an impact.

25. Threadmarks: Pyrrhucy (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

14th February 2013
    17:37 GMT -2

Our pathway through the Venturian streets curves upwards towards the third story of the palace and away from the main thoroughfare of which it is a part. Or rather was. Luna strides forwards with a degree of confidence that I find… Interesting, while I trail on behind.

The citizenry around us…

Venturia isn't the sort of place to segregate on the grounds of form. The ruling family are pureblood because their ancestors could afford that version of the spells, but it's been a very long time since they made a distinction between purebloods, gill necks and those with overt fishlike qualities. In my visits to Venturia I saw a wide variety of peoples swimming around the palace district without anyone finding it odd.

That is no longer the case.

The palace is now dry, where before Queen Clea held parts of it dry as a demonstration of power. Logically, if she were continuing the same policy now then she would keep parts of it submerged. Instead, the submerged areas are restricted to the outskirts and occasional displays of aquatic plant life in public areas.

The buildings look a little different too. Like they were built in the pre-sinking style, and are actually capable of maintaining their structure while out of the water. Windows and doors made of wood and metal have made a reappearance, entry points away from the ground floor have vanished so that there's no sign they were ever there.

Looks a little like Themyscira, to be honest. Aside from the occasional displays of overt magic. And the existence of men.

"Honeybun, are you sure they can't see us?"

"Neigh, they can see us most readily." She raises her right hand in casual greeting to a palace servant as they clean the interior of a window we pass, and the servant nods deferentially back. "But they can only comprehend us in terms of the dream in which they are trapped. Were We in Equestria, We would rouse them to full consciousness that we might discuss what had happened to them, but here that would be contrary to our purpose."

"And Ahri'ahn isn't going to notice this?"

"We are doing what We can to prevent our presence here from disrupting the dream, though your presence is far more perceptible than Our own. There is little that We may do to prevent him noticing us should he turn his attention this way due to some unrelated matter, though We suspect that he will focus his gaze on Poseidonis during this time."

"Is there anything I can do to make it easier for you?"

"Neigh, there is not. Your nature as a New God means that you hold fast where others bend. Your passing leaves a wake. That is why we should avoid proximity to others."

"And you can wake Clea up?"

Luna nods as we approach the target balcony. "Verily. That is the greater risk. If Ahri'ahn has realised that she is your ally, he may monitor her more closely. We will attempt to unpick his magecraft, but in such matters there are no guarantees."

The railing bends aside as we step onto the balcony, and the pathway which brought us here… Sort of fades into the… Wall? The ground below us? Like it was made of things from its environment and sort of..? Stopped being twisted out of place.
    Reality is R-.
    Luna gasps, her head jerking around to glare at me. "Stop that at once! We could feel you trying to layer the rules of the waking world 'pon the sleeping one! Our foes will feel that at once!"

"Sorry, sorry, it's just… I find this profoundly unsettling, you know?"

She smiles. "We do. And We are pleased that you are able to admit a failing to Us. It is… Gratifying, to aid you and in some small part pay back the aid you have given Us."

"It's nice to see you in your element like this."

"It is nice for Our element to be rel-e-vant…" Her expression changes to one of mild guilt. "Ah."

"Ah?"

"We may have… Changed your clothing… Somewhat."

I look down and… Now we match. I'm too broad for the look to really work; I look like a bodybuilder at a renaissance faire, but… I'll live with it. Particularly given how in-tune she would have to be with my God-Name to do something like that without me feeling it. If it weren't for Father, I'd propose at once because there just isn't a greater level of trust or intimacy.

"Nice. Now let's get in there and find Clea."

Luna leads the way once more, looking neither left nor right as she unerringly homes in on wherever Clea is. I don't know how it works exactly, but journeys in dreams-.

A golden barrier flares into being just as she steps out into an intersection, blocking my path.

"Your power and skill recommend you, magician."

Voice is coming from the… Left. They can't see me from where they are. I might be able to force the barrier, but that would definitely draw attention to me.

"I could scarcely feel your presence at all. I did not think that anyone in Atlantis studied Dream magic, but it seems that your family had its secrets."

Wait. Wait. I recognise that voice. I stabbed him in the face.

"We are Princess Luna. To whom do we speak, who is clearly not submerged in this baleful delirium?"

"I am Nabu of Cilia, Magi of Order."

Darn it! I knew he was going to reincarnate, I just thought he'd have the sense to keep his head down! The barrier… I don't know, it's glowing. The sword should have removed all of his accumulated power, but… Yes, okay, there wasn't anything stopping him building back up again. Klarion didn't, but he never really struck me as a strategic planner.

"And for what reason would one who prizes order above all merge the material world with the world of dreams?"

A… Passageway which wasn't there before has suddenly always been there to my right. I nod and follow it.

"I used the flaws of each to bring order to the other. Humans are messy in the contact of their affairs, but they are creatures of pattern. This in turn creates structure within the realm of Dream."

I can still hear them perfectly well, a grate in the upper part of the wall which used to exist for the purpose of allowing water pressure to equalise serving to allow me to eavesdrop.

"And your magic compels them to walk evermore within such patterns."

"Just so. They are still themselves, and can still make choices in their lives. But-."

"Those choices are bound by your power and art. And that of Ahri'ahn."

The passage turns off, and I quietly step out behind Nabu. I'm not sure if his original form was human-seeming or if he's had so many hosts in the intervening period that he now identified with that form more than any other, but there he is. Light Atlantean robes, shoulder length white hair and beard and that's about all I can tell from the back. There's a golden shield keeping Luna where she is but nothing at all between me and him.

"He is proud and arrogant, but he is powerful and highly skilled. Still, I am puzzled as to how he did not detect a dream magician as skilled as you. He should have done, and your wards are clearly only as good as they are due to your access to dreamstuff. Are you a child of Morpheus?"

"We are charged with ensuring that what you have done here doth not come to pass amongst Our own people." She raises her right hand, dark blue wisps effusing towards the golden barrier between them. "And We shall stop you here."

I draw the Sword of the Fallen.

"That is unlikely. I am here in the dream role of court magician. There is no story here that will allow you to best me in a contest of magics."

I step up to him, put the sword to his throat and resting my left hand on his shoulder. "But I think perhaps that one who has killed you before may be excluded."

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wasn't expecting an encore from Nabu of all people. Hopefully he'll go down relatively easily so that the Renegade and Luna can continue their mission in peace.

27. EdwardGrave

EdwardGrave Getting out there.

missed the first o in the color bracket

I think that this is a bit confusing, I didn't know who was saying what, I read it like 4 times and I think the first one is Fate and the second is Graven but I'm still not sure, maybe rewrite this section or clarify?

Assblaster5000, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 6 others like this.
  28. Zelred

Zelred Getting sticky.

creates structures

29. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Ah, now we see how and/or why Ahri'ahn created this pseudo-dream Atlantis. Nabu revived and decided to bide his time. He has fully transitioned to supervillain here, in my eyes. This is essentially what happened in WandaVision but purposefully and with no grief motivation.

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hopefully the two of you have some manner of glamour to avoid being noticed. Especially you, Renegade, since I doubt an eight- or nine-foot-tall man wouldn't stand out in any human culture. On the other hand, Ahri'ahn's workings may well be doing the job for you.

Which kind of makes me worry what happened to the 'unacceptable' folks. Have they been altered to fit, or simply banished to some 'rightful corner of the land' as slaves?

Because, after all, why have walls that would make it harder to swim into a place unless it needed security?

Honestly, given Themyscira's age, they might well have been contemporaneous cultures. Though not likely to have made contact before their respective retreats.

So they're seeing a noblewoman of fair features and her handsome - if muscular - bodyguard?

No doubt he's leaving the outer cities to their respective masters, until he's ready to turn his attention to them properly.

In other words, don't poke them, the bubble of illusion might pop and expose you.

And taking the mystical equivalent of a sledgehammer to it would definitely qualify. So this is going to have to be carefully done...

Ah, Renegade, you can't help but poke the sleeping giants, can you?

The best Renegades are a little paragon, around their most trusted companions...

And it's probably a lot safer to let her mind wander a little around here, where a greater power can correct any issues, eh?

...Honestly, as long as he isn't wearing a loincloth and fur boots, Conan-style, or something equally silly, I don't think he'll mind.

So, ten pounds of beefcake poured into a five-pound doublet? There's an image for you.

Ah, looks like someone did notice the two of you. Time to put a boot up Ahri'ahn's arse already?
    Better than leaving her to solo them.

...Be more precise, Renegade. You've stabbed a lot of people in the face by now. Among other body parts.

...Motherfucker! Did he speed-run regaining his magic or something?

Still, he didn't introduce himself as a Lord of Order, just a Mage. Guess he hasn't quite picked up enough experience to reclaim the title yet.

Handy. Luna's work, or is someone else lending a hand?

Hmm... I could see Dream being a little annoyed Nabu is forcing the Dreaming to realign in such a fashion, given it's chaotic nature. On the other hand, he tends to take a long view of mortal tomfoolery, unless it impacts him directly.

Which prevents them from making choices entirely freely, if some of those options are blocked simply because someone in power doesn't like them.

Or he simply reincarnated into a human body because Earth. At least he seems to be wearing a shirt, which is better than some appearances.

Admittedly, I don't know if Ahri'ahn would care much about another world populated by intelligent 'animals' of all sorts. But Nabu is probably a bit more worrisome in that respect.

And Nabu has a moment of 'Oh no, not again...'

If Nabu remembers his previous lifetime's ending, which I think those killed by the Sword do, he's probably going to be so damn annoyed that he's going to have to start from scratch again. Assuming he's dumb enough to earn himself a too-close shave there. Let's do hope he is. The question is, how much of this whole situation is Nabu's work, and how much is Ahri'ahn's. And how they met up, at that.