1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

It's still in Washington.

I need something I can move in,

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's probably a bad idea.

Because who knows what countermeasures Truggs might have in place to counter Assimilation by now. And it's almost sure he has at least some given the way he's countered everything else Paul has tried.

Duke Long and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’met versions’

5. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

in
    in

moralrelativity likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm. So can the Medusa Mask “do” Black Light, and is that useful for Darkseid’s research? Maybe, maybe not, however Darkseid outright thanked Grayven for his contribution with the Orange light brand… so indigo or orange could be a part of Mannheim’s research with the mask.

If the Mask was obtained by someone unaffiliated with Mannheim, they could acquire a great deal of power by blessing/doping people with strong emotions. On the other hand, could they do all of that secretly? Hrrm.

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  8. DeathReaperZ

DeathReaperZ In the Void.

I believe you mean "Serifan"?
    Complete and utter bullshit from Paul. And no way in hell is it actually called that, unless Moonrider was being humorous.
    Windows so that no one can look in the normal way, or does somebody have an ability to see through any window that exists?
    There are worse fates than death, after all, freeing them from their misery was probably the best thing to do.
    That's some solid advice right there, I'm really proud of how far Paul has come to be honest.
    Thanks for the post.

9. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So did I get this right, the Anti-Life tried to tell him his motivations entirely came from the outside, so he was entirely controlled from outside.

But his answer was, well yeah, but they also come from inside me as a reaction and there is no contradiction?

Prince Charon likes this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yup.

But you should probably just chalk that up to Paul's SI superpower to partially ignore the negative effects of things at work.

11. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

It's a bit weak.

Both anti-life as a concept and how Paul "defeats" it here.

I mean, in actual, real life, as far as we know, humans don't have free will the way they commonly think they do. A lot of decision-making is actually just a post-hoc justification of a subconscious choice, for an example.

Point being, Anti-life feels like an edgy teen came up with it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

I mean it’s the ultimate goal of a being that I remember being summed up with roughly “Darkseid would give up his empire and all his history for a rock to beat you with, if the rock would allow him to dominate you more.”.

Of course it’s an incomplete argument.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, and that as such there isn't really a 'him'. This is significant for an Orange Lantern as the SI has seen Lanterns who are obviously like that and has been like that himself when the orange light overwhelms him.
    No, it's that if you want to do anything with the universe you have to be engaged with it.

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

ALE is 1984 style mindfuck "War Is Peace, Freedom Is Slavery, and Ignorance Is Strength."

It's propaganda as a superpower.

Kirby based Darkseid on Nixon and Hitler, Godfrey is basically the embodiment of religion as Marx's "opiate of the masses."

Kirby's Darkseid knew he'd be the first one against the wall when the inevitable Lowly revolution happens.

Of course it's crap, it's supposed to be crap.

Senevri, Ardy, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Prep Time (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

15th February 2013
    16:52 GMT -5

"Sir?"

Batman looks up from the astronavigation console. Interesting that the LexCorp people aren't avoiding him. They don't even look nervous about him being here. I assume that's because Lex's conflict with the Justice League happens way above their level. Or that they've had a rethink after the third global disaster in three years.

"Yes?"

"Reviewing intelligence files. I've just got up to the… Mannheim's visit to Gotham. Has everyone..? Recovered? I know they've been cleared for.. active duty…"

He nods. "Yes. It was traumatic at the time, but with counselling and with help from Doctor Mist, everyone affected has made a full recovery. I've also made it clear that they should never have gone anywhere near Mannheim without Justice League support."

I nod. "The information they gained on the Anti-Life-."

"Could have been gained just as easily with far less risk. If we directly confront Mannheim, it will be with the full strength that we can bring to bear and not with one teenaged kryptonian." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "I should probably make you aware that the whole episode has prompted me to rethink my own approach to crime fighting."

"Sir?"

"You're aware that I originally chose the emblem of a bat because one flew through my study window after my first night out after returning to Gotham."

Ah…

"Holly Robinson is currently in a Justice League safe area. I believe that you mentioned it to her."

Yeah, I… Think I did.

"But I didn't tell her that she was the one who stabbed you. Did-?"

He looks away for a second, then looks back at me. "I hadn't realised. The most serious injury I suffered were bullet wounds from the police officers who arrested me. I'd almost forgotten about the underage prostitute who stabbed me. How did you work that out?"

"I asked about Holly's personal history. It came up when we were talking about when Selina got out of that line of work."

"Mm."

Okay, I think he bought it.

"Did you read the part about how the Anti-Life causes the emergence of city bosses?"

"Yes. I hadn't realised that it would work like that, but it makes sense."

"That's actually what made me reconsider the way I work."

"Sir?"

"The Anti-Life effectively rewards brutal strongmen and gang leaders. Tyrants, whose power is backed by force and by the fear their lootenants feel in them. After Robin was exposed to the Anti-Life I realised that I could easily have become a city boss myself."

"I don't think it would be a good idea, sir."

"No, it wouldn't. The day… Holly stabbed me was the day I decided to use the image of the bat to inspire fear in the Gotham criminal underworld. It was… Effective, for a time."

"Sir?"

"It can't have escaped your notice that the Joker isn't afraid of me. He regards mass murder as a game. I don't think there's any level of intimidation that I could bring to bear that would dissuade him."

"No, sir. He's mental."

"Having people afraid of me didn't stop Riddler, or Two Face. It didn't even stop Penguin or Catwoman. Gotham isn't as bad now as it was when I started, but even the regular gangs treat being hospitalised by me as the price of doing business rather than something to actually fear. Joining the Justice League should have made me reconsider how I operated, especially when I started talking to Superman-."

"Sir? I'm not.. sure.. where you're going with this?"

"It would have been easy for me to work within the confines of the Anti-Life, when that's the absolute last thing that I want. So I've decide to change some parts of the way I work."

"So… You're not treating criminals as a superstitious and cowardly lot?"

I get a mild frown, but he shakes his head. "I don't think they're more superstitious than anyone else, and I've had enough criminals pick fights with me when the only thing on the line was their pride to know that they're not cowardly. Not all cowardly, at least. It was really more that they weren't committed, and I saw plenty of people in the Gotham City Police Department who equally lacked that commitment."

"So you're..? Abandoning fear as a tool?"

"I think the Earth has seen enough fear."

Well… That's a… Problem. I mean, who's my backup option? Crane? I-.

Wait. Power Ring -16. He could do it, and he owes me, and apparently he's up to something with his version of Supergirl, so... Okay. Okay. Not a complete disaster.

Batman's looking at me.

"Is there a problem?"

"Bit of a surprise sir, but I'll live. Um. Okay, I've got a couple of possible locations to check out. Who's available to back me up?"

"Just Eiling's squad. Having you operate out of these ships should be fine in the medium term, but bringing anyone else here risks drawing Mannheim's attention."

I nod. "I agree. That was the reason I gave for not sheltering the crew's families."

He hesitates for a moment, looking a little uncomfortable. Then he nods.

"That is the correct decision. Keeping them out of the way will be more effective than putting them in a military facility like a warship. Have you decided where you're going to start looking?"

"The Medusa Mask was in S.T.A.R. Philadelphia, so I may as well start my search in that area. It will probably be easier to investigate on my own and call the others in if there's a fight."

He shakes his head. "Don't go alone. Take at least one member of your squad with you."

I nod. Kadabra would probably be most useful, but I need him here to operate the ship. Eiling is the most disciplined, so I should leave him behind to take charge of the others. Standing Bear isn't in any mental shape to enter an Anti-Life infected region. That leaves Mahkent and Tuppence. Mahkent doesn't look like a baseline human, so if I'm going to be sneaking around then Tuppence is the one I want.

"Will do. Anything else?"

"Make sure to report what you encounter. We still don't know exactly what Mannheim or his agents are doing, and every piece of information could be vital."

"Understood, sir. I'll let you know how it goes."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Can anyone remind me when Paul told Holly this? Also, I hope Paul will be there to help Holly and Karon once this is over.

In the Paragon timeline Paul told Jade this, while in the Eros timeline Paul told Selina this. Since Paul revealed this tidbit of info to Batman directly, has it aroused any suspicions about Paul getting info from parallel universes?

That should say 'lieutenants'.

It's a shame that Batman won't say that line anymore, but it's also good that he's evolving his methodology and tactics. Also, that should say 'not'.

This might cause some complications once he learns that Power Ring is already working with Sinestro.

That should say 'effective'.

17. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

I'm 90% sure that he's making a crack about the American English pronunciation of the word, despite the fact that, iirc, it's a word of French origin that is not supposed to be pronounced as leftenant.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Plus, working with the League has kind of buffed off some of his 'urban legend' nature and the sheer scariness of his theme. He's simply become too big, too public to intimidate regular people anymore. He's just a weird guy who dresses like a bat now. :p

...Didn't he already hear about that, or is this more a case of 'Okay, they did what? I need to read this for myself.'

...Or at least they seem fine. For now. Still might be work getting a full once-over from the Frees after it's all wrapped up.

At least their youthful foolishness didn't damage the League's overall Narrative strength. Young people are expected to be headstrong and prone to leaping into battles...

Not like he has to worry about Lex learning his real identity. But still, being a bit free with - admittedly anonymous - personal details.

Presumably in an offscreen conversation. It's not like we see every moment of his life.

Ooh, Holly never mentioned that, I bet.

And Bats has 'Press [X] to doubt' flashing in his HUD right now. :p

Or he's simply choosing to file that under 'suspicious things Orange Lantern has said and done.' For later reference...

Eh? Realising you could have done the job better, Bats?

But you didn't, because you weren't here?

But each time you bled, or talked, or let people see you as something other than a bat-like monster...

I don't know. Surely there's something he's afraid of. Irrelevence, perhaps.

So you've simply become a stage hazard, rather than a deterrent.

What, he's not going the Adam West-era route, running around in broad daylight in light-grey and blue? :p

That was always an outdated idea anyway.

Huh. I guess he really is going a bit more noble-bright.

It's not like he's going to do it right now. Surely he could bear it just for the few minutes needed?

...Goddammit, OL... :rolleyes: Just ask Batman if he could manage to channel fear for a bit.

Ah well, back to the plot.

After all, it's not like you want Mannheim to smash them.

I can tell he's not entirely comfortable with the idea, but can see the point of it...

Hmm... Who's he likely to run into in Philadelphia, I wonder?

Although Tuppence is a rather tall and well-built young lady. Bit of an amazon, if you will... So she might still attract attention.

Assuming there's not a leak in their ranks...

Chances all will go well? Not great. But that seems to be standard drill for OL's missions. The real question becomes what will he face in Philadelphia, and how well can he deal with it? Especially given that there's no guarantee that the Mask is still in town. Still, at least he's not getting bogged down in too many sidequests now.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I always enjoy his interactions with the terror twins.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Who is the Illustres talking to? Because that sure isn't Batman. That's an impostor, infiltrator, whatever you want to name it, best I could call it is a Skrull if we were in Marvel. I seriously don't understand where this "character progression" is coming from; I thought Batman already understood that his presence in Gotham had changed the criminal landscape, that supervillains were a different breed altogether, or that his demeanor and competence had already become part of the 'myth' that is Batman.

What exactly is his idea for change? To be nice and friendly? Brave and the Bold style? Batman during the day?

22. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Ah, Batman anticipated what the "seven ring colors" would mean for him. He's a genius after all, even when he is overworked.

So the board is being set for this arc. A portion of team YJ, with or without Justice League support, could pop in during a fight. They are capable of working, but could easily fall to Mannheim personally. If Tuppence is an avenue go hurt Paul, then Tommy is going to be targeted; be certainly doesn't have a superhero bodyguard in his line of work.

Additionally, Mr Atom is likely to put some of the pieces together from Paul's upcoming reports.

What else... The Lincoln Memorial's locked portal to the heartland. The missing angels and Themyscirans. Negative Lex and his assignment to whip up anti-anti-life attitude adjusters for the big Mannheim fight. Scott Free.

23. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

is currently in a

24. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Batman Inc time...

Start the Franchise, spread do gooders using his teaching methods maybe?

Running around as a shadow in the night doesn't work long term, as OL and Bats point out, you reach a point where they just aren't afraid anymore.

So if you can't beat the hordes of criminals with shadows anymore, so you have to back it up with hard work.

An earlier talk OL and Batman had was about him aiding more with Bruce Wayne's resources. Use his money to make the City less of a cesspool means less conventional criminal types due to economics being less harsh. Spend the money to get the cops (now that they're not sold out to the mob) resourced enough to handle not just their normal work load, but the generally low level villains he deals with. Someone like say...Firefly, is completely within the realm of conventional tech and training to deal with. And for those more difficult baddies, you solve with something like The Team. They've reaching several squads worth to divide missions to, and were still growing now that everyone is on call with this emergency, shouldn't be too hard to get a group to keep an eye on the city that keeps spitting out loonies. They could watch over the city like .... birds of prey.

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Too late, he's already made an assumption and decided on an alternate plan that makes almost no sense given all he actually needs is someone capable of blasting out Yellow Light.

Personally I would have just gone down to Mexico and picked up a random guy who plays a Lucha Libre villain.

Or maybe gone down to Hollywood and asked Wes Craven to do it.

Either is better then a random super villain from the evil universe of uncertain loyalties.

27. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

The Joker, when done right, is certainly afraid of something.

He's afraid of not being funny.

The Joker's whole point (and the thing a lot of modern interpretations miss) is that while his routine is the absolute blackest of black humor, it's still humor. And his audience laughs with him, not just out of 'it's the Joker' fear, but because he tells good jokes. You'll feel horrible for laughing afterwards, of course, but you still laughed.

So when Jack Napier isn't able to be funny - he's literally a comedian without a punchline. Which (yes, bearing in mind that Joker-16 bragged in universe about having a multiple-choice past) was what he was before he fell into the vat of chemicals that fateful night. So he's terrified of winding up back there - and when you can leverage that like Terry McGinnis did...

28. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Also the Snake Cult had their prophecy about the world being at it's worst and then beginning on a glorious recovery led by the Snake chosen so... seems fitting they can get involved here as well.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You could just ask him to use it one last time.

Call it one final hurrah before he retires.

Giving a yellow ring to a guy of extremely questionable morality and ethics, who will also be able to perfectly use it, is a very, very bad idea.

Like Rogal Dorn said, it might be the worst idea.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Lex already knows their identities after the New Year mind control.

The world is going to need a lot if cheering up.

Well Paul told him his skills as an administrator may be more useful, and the world is going to need to be pulled back together.

I clicked the show ignored content on the screen and saw Vaermina's post to this comment.

I hate to do this. Despise it really, but I agree with them.

Crane is honestly the better option.

Still a horrible one, but at least Paul knows him and his personality profile.

He's know Power Ring for less than an hour.

Better the devil you know.