1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

As far as the SI can tell from a quick scan, yes.
    Near-human. He was assimilated while heavily bound.
    In thist story, the Omega Effect can only do that on people who are completely broken. Like Apokolips natives, the Justifiers, people with no emotions to break and Construct Lanterns.
    He's a low level character at the moment. Level him up a bit and all sorts of things can happen.

Vorian, Cuchulin, crazygrox and 9 others like this.
  2. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

I wonder if Thornton being “killed” as a construct impacts the deals with the Belle Reve prisoners?

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He just wrote them up. I'm pretty sure Paul ensured that the contracts will still be valid even if the guy who wrote them up no longer has powers. This isn't something they'd want to have any problems with, after all.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  4. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Inconsistent apostrophes. I’m not entirely sure, but I think the apostrophe should be removed.
    Also, I’ve realised that Finality Man’s pronouns are inconsistent both in this chapter and between chapters. Should it be ‘his’ or ‘its’?
    ’minute’

I like Finality Man, very cool guy. I already expected him to defeat Karshon, but it’s interesting to see that he has so much versatility with the Omega Effect.

Glad to see the deployment of a powerful Construct-Lantern. I always feel like they’re a bit underused. I’m guessing that he’ll simply be re-assimilated once they’re in a safe spot, but maybe he’ll teleport away or the Omega Effect will have lingering effects that prevent it.

5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    To quote Deathstroke, "I didn't check the undercarriage.'

He. It should be 'he'.
    Thank you, corrected.
    The issue there is that Satanus would just teleport away. A human Colin Thornton on the other hand isn't someone he could morally justify assimilating because he's not as much of a threat.

6. RoasterToaster

RoasterToaster This is fine.

I may have missed if the following has been discussed, as I've been catching up on the latest arcs in the story only thread, but what about the Omega Sanction? AKA when Darkseid goes 'Fuck you in particular' and Gold Experience Requiem's a guy (I will declare it a Jojo reference to my dying day :V) and traps them in an infinite loop of progressively shittier lives.

I must admit don't know if there's a limitation in the canon work, as it's arguably a more dangerous use of his Omega Beams when a character can block or tank them.

7. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Fair enough, besides, OL only really needed him for that one thing. Plus, in terms of power, he does still have the one Karrakanian Shipmaster he assimilated back when he recruited Allyn. Wasn't he an Ascendant of something? He also has Nabu 666 and Gary the fungoid, so he's not sort on powerful Construct Lanterns.

Ardy likes this.
  8. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

KKiiiiyyyyyaaa.

So, next Eros chapter when?

Ardy likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

I don't know. When I next have a day booked as holiday, probably.

Annoying thing is that I have the next Eros episode planned out. It's this one I don't have anything special for.

10. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I just realized that if anyone killed by the Sword of the Fallen returns as a base line human. What happened to the Praexis Demons Paul had to put down after they swallowed what was basically miniature portals to hell?

Duke Long and Prince Charon like this.
  11. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Presumably the same thing that happens to other hell stuff? It's just that nobody cares about a nameless normie.

Khornelius likes this.
  12. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

So when Batman initially asked, Paul said that construct-thornton mostly lacked his magic, and the demon contracts were about the limit of what he could do.
    Did something change to make these portals?

Huh.

If the omega beams can turn people from constructs back into people, and Paul learns that Grayven(the same one fighting the Reach), can produce the effect, do you think he'd prioritize getting that one Guardian which Larfleez turned into a ring turned back into a biological creature?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  13. Mr Zoat

This is less than what he used to do.
    How? Grayven's made it clear that he isn't interested in cooperating.

14. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Harsh words and that’s true to an extent. But we’d have to assume the ‘living’ hell gate orange lantern construct, he became shortly before his death didn’t somehow muddle the transition.

Ehhh, maybe will never see a reunion. So much has happened on earth since then that the population won’t recover for decades. His reincarnation could very well have died since then.

15. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Yeah I guess he'd have to go with trying to brand or turn Grayven into a construct and hope the Omega effect still works.

Aquire alternative means of mind control maybe?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  16. Threadmarks: Lantern Conspiracies (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

8th June 2000
    22:57 GMT +9

"Kill them! Kill the interlopers!"

The Japanese economy has had its ups and downs, and right now it's in a major down. I'm not exactly certain why it happened, but the summary I read in The Times made it sound like the Wall Street Crash of 1929: people put too much money in a class of investment that lacked the underlying strength to sustain it. But the collapse in demand and the desire of those banks which had repossessed property to sell them for desperately needed cash meant that a lot of property became available and a fraction of their original value.

"I want them all dead!"

And the oni invested.

They also had a line in buying slave labourers from North Korea and dosing them with watered down vampire venom to keep them compliant, which is-

Fire from yakuza security guards hits my shield and loses all of its kinetic energy as I advance on their position.

-how they've been able to make a huge profit on manual labour intensive work. They don't need to pay them and they won't ever complain. I think they paid for them in more watered down vampire venom, but we haven't really investigated that end of the trade.

Behind me, Peisinoe sings a hypnotic song to keep the workers entranced. It costs them what little sense of self-preservation they have left, but it's the only reason why they haven't tried swarming us when their boss ordered them to.

The thugs before me duck back to reload and I take the opportunity to storm forward, truncheon construct at the ready. One spots me and drops his gun in favour of drawing a knife, but my superior reach makes it child's play to smack his hand and force him to drop it. He backs off, but my second strike hits him in the diaphragm and adds electrocution to blunt force trauma.

The second has been reloading while backing away and aims his gun at my vision slit. Since I'm wearing construct armour rather than metal armour the 'slit' isn't actually either a hole or a weak point, but I'll give him marks for situational awareness. Slam the truncheon into the head of the one on the ground and then leap at the one shooting me. I don't try to evade; bullets missing me might hit someone else. He switches to one handed firing as I cross the intervening space, trying to open the door behind him without looking around.

It doesn't work, but does allow me to concuss him with a body slam.

"Useless ingrates. Shuten, get down there and deal with this!"

I tap my communicator. "Peisinoe, I've dealt with the last of the guards. Start bringing the prisoners up. The police should be here in a few minutes."

"You're supposed to call me 'Nure' when we're playing at being superheroes."

"None of us speak Japanese." Hm. I put construct restraints around the guards and open the door, striding out of the warehouse and onto the dock. Might as well carry-.

Dodge!

I throw myself towards a nearby mooring as the concrete around me explodes! I land on my face, scrambling back onto my feet and trying to see through the resulting concrete dust. There's a… Large shape, and… I need to keep its attention to stop it from going for Peisinoe and her charges.

An energy pulse hits its centre of mass, to no apparent effect as it strides out of the dust. A… Woman? Seven feet tall and made of solid muscle. And then her image inducer glitches out and I see an… Oni-like figure, but with red skin, a crest of five separate horns and… Eyes scattered apparently at random across her head, torso, arms and legs. She? The hologram blinks back in, showing a body that the greatest Viking-descended female bodybuilder in the world would envy. The actual body only wore a pair of tight denim shorts, any breasts that she might have merged into the oversized pectorals. The illusion wears a vest and denim trousers, as well as metal-studded leather bracers and quite a lot of piercings.

"Green Knight!" She points at me, grinning. "I will eat your brain!"

Hose.

I stick a green pipe into the ocean waters behind me, taking in as much as I can-.

She leaps at me, mouth open and grinning and right fist pulled back. I dart into the air and then expel the water at pressure, slashing the stream across her body!

She grimaces slightly as she lands, crushing the pier under her feet before jumping back onto the dock.

"My eyes are just as tough as the rest of me, foreigner. Which is a lot tougher than you!"

"Tough? Maybe, but can you fly?"

She puts her hands on her hips, and-.

Fzzzzap!

The hit knocks me into the water, down to the bottom of the bay and then deeper into the silt! My construct armour's cracked and leaking water, and I-.

"BLOOBBLOBLOBBB!"

A hand grabs me and throws me, and I'm back in the air and flying into-.

OOF!

The side of a warehouse hard enough to dent the metal. Armour!

"We're a space-age species, Knight!" Shuten pulls herself out onto the dock, still grinning as her image inducer glitches in and out. "You think we haven't put anything in orbit?"

"I had hoped."

"No such luck! But I've got an offer for you! Stay on the ground and I won't use it! They hardly ever let me have a good fight! And get your sword out!"

I pull myself out of the wall and drop to the ground, marking the location of the satellite weapon.

And as Shuten advances I tap my communicator twice.

"Hakai no jikanda!"

Our sub-orbital support falls from the heavens and slams into her, Chauf having left behind his plasma cannon because he didn't want to 'besmirch the name of Ben Grimm'. Which probably has something to do with why he's wearing a blue jumpsuit with a number 3 on it. The two of them roll along the dockside, wrestling for supremacy.

"Peisinoe, you might want to take the back door?

"Yes, I worked that out for myself."

I generate a palisade shield and a pair of rocket boosters and set off for space, a brilliant trail of superheated exhaust washing over the struggling pugilists as I head towards the orbital weap-.

It hits my shield and as it maintains the beam I'm painfully aware of what something like that could do if it was actually aimed at a city. I can't dodge it. I've got to tank the whole thing and hope that it melts or empties its capacitors before my construct finally breaks down.

My shield will not break down. It will endure. I will endure.

My shield does break as I leave the atmosphere, the… Particle beam? Trying to burn through my armour next. I can feel it giving, melting, cracking and failing but too bad for them because I can see the satellite! Energy pulse!

The shot slams into the gun, punching clean through and shutting down the beam. It also sends the satellite into a spin, giving me a clean shot at the power plant on the opposite side. The whole assemblage explodes in a viscerally satisfying way and I take a moment to appreciate it before heading back to the surface.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  17. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Interesting to see a Paul falling into Superman’s tradition tanking niche.
    The main SI will probably not be impressed should they meet.

Ardy, SemiAnarchist, Rebu and 3 others like this.
  18. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'restraints'

One or the other, I think.

'pier under her feet'

haven't

Should probably have somebody do something about that orbital debris soon...

19. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

But doesn't his Power Ring provide a universal translator? I suppose because he's been playing mute that he hasn't used it much, but that's a fairly basic part of a Power Ring, he should have noticed that he can understand everyone, everywhere, no?

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"Slam"

21. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’It doesn’t work’?

22. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

To be fair, this Paul is a Green Lantern, so how he needs to think to effectively use the ring differs.

Rebu and Lord Ernest like this.
  23. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

To Be fair, Green ring users are stuck with simple stuff until they achieve a high level of mastery.

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

His ring lacks that program, he lacks an AI assistant like modem GLs. Heck he probably doesn't even have a subspace pocket. He is basically doing everything with his own mind plus Green Energy from the ring.

mastermenthe and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

It's nice to know that we all agree that crisis of infinite pauls 2 electric boogaloo is inevitable.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Which is why the 80's fear of a Japanese-led corporate future, so central a foundation of things like Cyberpunk, never came to pass: Their economic bubble popped. Though I have no doubt the local 'non-indigenous sophonts' took full advantage of the recession and falling prices.

Thought so. No doubt in the guise of Yakuza, who do trade in legal real estate deals.

Ah, and there they are. With quite illegal guns, you'll note, as Japan has quite severe gun control laws.

So, did she go for the figure-skating outfit, the gothic lolita outfit or something practical? :D A Rider suit, perhaps?

Heh. Not really necessary to go in for melee, but with all the lead flying around, someone might get hurt...

Ah, the tanking job. Not easy, often maligned, but always needed.

Heh. Nice little mythic shout-out there. Leaning on their mythological similarities, I see.

...Bit of an awkward name there. Though I can see the mythological synchronicity.

Might have to get Percival to check the language sub-routines, then. Surely you can run the Ring through a stack of multi-lingual dictionaries, failing that. :p

...That would be Shuten, then.

:confused: ...Goddammit, Zoat. You really did give us a muscle-girl Oni. :V ...And damn if that description doesn't sound like Princess, from 'Kill Six Billion Demons'. Damn good taste, sir!

And maybe some soap, since she seems the sort to have a potty mouth...

Man, she telegraphed that punch so much, she'd have been better off mailing it. :p

Hey, if you have what looks like an obvious weakpoint all over you, of course someone's gonna try to poke it.

...Oh, hell. She's casting 'Summon Bigger Fish', isn't she?

Whoops, that's not good. Don't panic, Emerald Knight!

...Well, at least she pulled you out of the water. So not drowning now.

And this is why you have armour under the armour.

Honestly, having a Blue Ring show up would be a bonus to your combat capabilities...

Time for the Knight to cast 'Summon Even Bigger Fish'.

...Don't tell me he actually looked up the translation of 'It's Clobbering Time!' Because that is pretty damn close. :cool: ("It's time to destroy!" according to Google Translate.)

I half expect someone to ask later 'So, which of you is Number One?' on the assumption they're numbered like Sentai.

At least all human eyes will be on the big show they're putting on out front.

And why do I get the feeling that Emerald Knight will hit Enlightenment sooner or later through sheer bloody-minded determination... Unlikely as it is that he'd ever need it.

And I hope that wreckage is heading out to a splashdown far out at sea, or someone is going to have a bad day.

No wasting time getting down to business for the Mighty Three, I see. ...Heroic Team Xeno-Rangers? :D They really do need a couple more hands for a good team, though the Japanese might find it odd that Green is their leader. Let's hope they never need a giant mecha, though. I bet the media will have a field day with all this, though, since it's a little hard to cover up orbital laser strikes on the shoreline of what I assume is a coastal town.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that he understands the language. He just sees and hears English when he sees or hears Japanese. If she picks a Japanese name then he'll either hear a translation or a word whose meaning he doesn't know.

28. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

Paul's idea for the Conduit cosplaying as Superheroes seems to be going well. This universe makes me wonder how an alternate Paul would handle being in Ben 10. Any chances of that?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

No. I'm far too old to have watched that.

30. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Ben 10 Ultimate Alien released the same year as Young Justice and was aimed at the same age group. The original released in 2005 and was aimed at a younger age group though so if you skipped that I guess it makes sense that you'd skip a sequel series too.