1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating an "About Page"

Discussion in 'General' started by Master of Squirrel-fu, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

So a place to discuss the creation of an About Page to explain Questionable Questing to those new.

Obviously we're much more lax about what is NSFW than SB is but we're not exactly SB's NSFW section.
    So, discussion?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Rather than focusing solely on questing, why not expand the focus and say this is a play-by-post roleplaying site? Quests are just a form of roleplay by consensus, really.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Master of Squirrel-fu

Yes, of course. Never said we were just for questing.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Maybe we should mention the IRC that is accesible througth the menu in the upper left corner?

... QQ also has a sub-forum for stories. It's not used much though.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. Scia

Scia Not too sore, are you?

To be fair those sections are already present. Its just that a game usualy does not survive for more then 3 pages. And well the longest runner on her is Cosmos Quest which most likely would also ,again, survive on SB so it is not only the NSFW crowd that is here.
    But then the question is "why go here instead of there " and that is the problem unless you run afoul of the mods or want to do something that is not of interest to the people on SB. But then are there really people present here that don`t have or had a SB account except for that one group of 5?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. Vindictus

Vindictus Experienced.

Cosmos Quest didn't survive on SB, though. [/pedantic]

More seriously, we seem to have the bases pretty much covered- We've got four dedicated RP subforums for RP/Quests and SFW/NSFW, a Creative Writing section, and a general section.

What else would we need, as a forum designed for quests and RPing?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Master of Squirrel-fu

I believe it's the mood. Over here it's generally care free on SB there's always the chance of pissing off a mod by accident and getting banned. We're more open here I guess, not just in quests but just in general.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Redon

Redon the baka nerbie

My question till recently was, why were people still going to SB for quests, when it lagged for over one half of the day?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Scia

Scia Not too sore, are you?

Thus the again comment
    More people that are over there and vote, people that don`t want to go here and so on.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. enthalpy

enthalpy 大幻梦森罗万象狂气断罪眼!

The larger the userbase of a site is, the more likely it is to attract new members. SB's BROB simply was the go-to place to post/read quests simply because of the volume of threads and votes that could be found there.

In comparison, QQ is a lot smaller, and we have a lot of issues in reaching that critical level of votes on any given quest that's required for it to continue.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. Talos

Talos Know what you're doing yet?

Very much this. On Sb, I can have a page or more of replies in a day. Here, I am lucky to get two or three in that time. Now, my current quest is not really friendly to new posters so that must be considered, but still the difference speaks for itself.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Master of Squirrel-fu

This is why we need new posters, and as such an About page to lure them in...

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

Well, if you guys wanted to create one, it'd be no trouble at all to create a page for it. Or type up an 'About' post. That could work too.

I could also set the registration agreement to explain more about the forum, though that would only be seen when people actually registered.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. enthalpy

enthalpy 大幻梦森罗万象狂气断罪眼!

I don't really see how an 'About' page would be particularly useful. It's not like it can magically attract users here - to see it, they have to have been linked here somehow in the first place, and given the layout of the forum, it's fairly obvious what purpose this site is intended to serve.

I guess having some sort of general statement in the Rules and Announcements section could be useful, but it's not like it'll increase our userbase or anything.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Master of Squirrel-fu

While it's obvious that our mainstay is RP and Questing an about page could help give those undecided the little push to join by showcasing our general feel of the forum, namely the lack of fear of banning for being an outlier. It's not that we just have a NSFW section it's that the forum in general is less judgmental about different proclivities and users don't have to fear about being instabanned without warning unless they really are being massive trolls, and even then there will be a warning to cut that out lest ban-hammer.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

Wizardtwo is letting us quote him for the about page~

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. Dinya

Dinya Know what you're doing yet?

Actually, that fact is a great part of why I think that an About/FAQ page would be helpful.

The majority of QQ's activity (as tenuous in comparison to e.g. SB it might be) is in the NSFW section. But it's not at all obvious that a NSFW section exists, unless you are already registered and logged in!

When you first enter the site, what do you see?

An apparently half-dead forum with a color scheme that is darker than midnight. Also, it's apparently about "questionable questing", whatever that might be.

So, if you haven't already closed the tab, because this place is clearly deserted and unreadable, anyway, you might click "Help", which tell you.. nothing at all.
    If you decide to head to "Announcements and Rules", you learn that there is an IRC channel, but little else.
    Few ever read the "Rules" thread, unless they want to know whether they/someone else is breaking any, so as a first-time visitor you are unlikely to even read this:

TL;DR: Unless you come here knowing what the appeal of the site is, you are unlikely to find out.

So, I would like to have a big link somewhere prominent in the default forum theme to an About page, which informs you that:
    0) There is a big NSFW section for the registered. Everybody is there.

And additionally, it should also answer pressing questions, like:
    1) "WTF is this forum actually about? The title explains nothing."
    2) "Why should I care?"
    3) "What exactly is "questing" and what is "questionable" about it, anyway?"
    4) "Is there some lighter color scheme that is actually fricking viewable in daylight?"

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Selias

Selias Well worn.

That's a good point. Making the default theme something lighter, like Adsiz or Black Board, and then letting people change it to something darker, if they want, might be a good idea.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

This seems like a topic that should be put in the Suggestion Box for LG. The theme that is.

Ddmkm122 likes this.