1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I got chills from this update. Great work, Zoat.

_The_Bomb and Ardy like this.
  2. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fair enough, but given all the S@#$ those near to Athel Loren have to put up, I'm surprised none of the locals haven't approached Paolo with an request to deal with the Wild Hunt, what with his ability to wipe out entire armies of daemons and greenskins, and then turn them into his own ghost army.

....And it's probably something the Wood Elves would probably be worried about, come to think of it. I mean, they're proud and xenophobic, and also paranoid enough to the think EVERYONE outside Athel Loren is their enemy. Thus from their perspective, it's only a matter of time before Bretonnia sics the flying orange man on them all.

Whether or not they realize that their general attitude towards everyone NOT of their forest essentially makes them their enemy is the question.

3. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

Are we going to see what they’ve been busy with in Go Time?

4. Threadmarks: Wait Time (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

17th February 2013
    14:28 GMT

"Come, friends, and be welcome!"

Cernunnos's physical form immediately puts me in mind of a faun, only… Grown up. He's clearly larger, his horns are more developed and he seems calmer than the fauns in the stories Diana told me. I know that Olympians tend to be stronger than the gods of other places due to leeching power from titans, but I'm never sure what than means in raw numbers terms. Or how material or magical Otherworld is in relation to Olympus.

My own weak sense of such things suggests that he's more… Here, than other things, that at least in part there's more to him than what I'm seeing. But I don't know how significant that is. Could he ignore the Anti-Life simply as a consequence of his power? Or is he a faun who paid attention at magic school? As the others move to take their seats around the hall I palm a rune stone and-.

"If you want to have a cock-measuring contest, Lantern, I can just stand up."

He's wearing a kilt… Ah…

Mr. Marrack frowns at me. "Put that away, fool."

I put it away.

Not wholly unlike a faun, then. But that cup he's carrying is filled with water. He's a god of the wilds and wildlife, but… From a time when hunting and gathering were common ways to get food, when the wild was right next door. But I did a me because I don’t have anything he wants and I didn't think that he had anything I could want.

I take a seat, and decide to let people more familiar with the situation than me take the lead.

"I see that Brannan has recovered his wits. Good work, Graham. Did he remember anything?"

"Only the feeling of despair that characterises the spell. But it seems that Lord Cluracan may know a little more."

"It was a most memorable toadstool." Cluracan shifts awkwardly. "Come, come." Cernunnos gestures to the space in the middle of the seats. "Say your piece."

"Thank you, oh horned one."

Cluracan.. walks into the centre of the room, and I blink as my brain tries to tell me something about-. I think he's nervous enough that his glamour of a man striding confidently is only partially covering it, but I can't be sure without actively intervening. Our host doesn't seem bothered by it.

"We were... Ah, my sister and I… It…"

"Do not fear, Cluracan. On a matter like this, we can avoid word of any adjacent misdeeds reaching the ears of your king and queen."

"We were facilitating a trade between certain parties. Parties we had both dealt with before. There was, ah… Something different about one of the parties, but since it had no effect on the transaction, we…" He exhales. "I didn't enquire further."

Mr. Marrack narrows his eyes suspiciously. "What sort of trade?"

"Nothing grossly immoral! Some things are less valuable in one place than another. The corporeal world has a great deal of corporeal matter, the worlds of concepts and forms more… Abstract goods. And there's demand for each in each and we can easily relay them."

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I can respect them for their entrepreneurship, but at the same time the sorts of things an elf would trade could be things that would be highly illegal in the human world if we knew that it was possible to trade in them. The Dream City has a roaring trade in dreams and inspiration, and I saw first hand some of the monstrous techniques people there are willing to go to in order to get their hit a little more cheaply.

I certainly don't trust an elf when he says that something isn't grossly immoral. While I don't think he'd say it if it was grossly immoral according to his morals, those aren't human morals.

"Who were they?"

"Their..? Names..?"

"Human? Elemental? God? What realm were you trading in?"

"Earth. They were all-. I mean to say, I think they were human." He points at Mitchell. "I honestly thought that he was human."

"What were they buying?"

"Dreams of misery and despair, which isn't that unusual! People use things like that on their enemies all the time. And…"

Mr. Marrack slams his fist against his arm rest. "I swear on my line, that if you don't start volunteering the information we need to rescue your own blood, then-."

"The bones of false martyrs, some samples of soil from various places… A final scream or two…" He shrugs, shaking his head. "We didn't have to source any of it ourselves… There may be a thing or two which I'm forgetting, I didn't think anything of any of it at the time!"

"Is that normal?"

"Normal for a group of wizards living in an ancient castle on a blasted heath? In this day and age? It didn't strike me as strange."

Mr. Marrack leans forwards. "What was the name of the castle?"

"Nnnnnnammmmme..? Ahh…" Cluracan inflates his cheeks as he tries to remember. "Baal…? Something."

"Baaleskein?"

"Yes! Yes."

"Baalfield."

"That too!"

Mr. Marrack frowns at me.

"He doesn't remember it well enough for us to reach a firm conclusion. Always check a theory with counterexamples."

"When was your sister taken?"

"We had just completed our transaction, and they offered us a little something to drink, and I palmed it and took it with me, and… We were on our way home when-."

"On Earth or in Otherworld?"

"Otherworld. When we were ambushed by giant flies of all things. I made an appeal to the treaty between our rulers and the Queen of Insects but they didn't pay a blind bit of notice. It was all I could do to escape myself!"

Mr. Marrack nods. "We will need the names of your contacts on both sides, and to be taken to the precise route you took. And we will need to follow up with the fomorians as well."

I nod. "Robin, you take the Earth side. I'll take the deep arcane side. Cornwall Boy, the fomorians." The other three don't have directly applicable skills, but… "Miss Martian, go with Cornwall. Match, Robin. Superboy, you're with me."

He's still carrying Helios's blessing and Nth Metal armour, both of which should help out. Miss Martian can detect Anti-Life infections easily, and it'll be a little more gentle to her to have her do that in a place that isn't overwhelmed with the stuff.

Brannan's father nods. "We'll introduce you to our people, though I don't know how much good it will do."

M'gann nods sympathetically. "We've dealt with things like this before. At the very least I can detect them before they can take anyone else."

"I will accompany the Lantern." Cernunnos doesn't stand, but he does smile at me. "It has been some time since I have headed deeper into magic. It will do me good."

"And I will keep an eye on my great grandson. Cluracan? Take us to where you were attacked."

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  5. Mr Zoat

That's the aim.

_The_Bomb, c3qo, Wheenesss and 8 others like this.
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'good'.

7. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

good

8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

This is looking like an extreme version of the missions that the Team used to take and I love it. A fetch quest that branches and branches. Pity that it's framed against a Top 3 tragedy happening on the planet right now.

9. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I guess something is standing at attention then! The adventure will have to wait until he settles down.

moralrelativity, LaVa, Bud-E and 3 others like this.
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Very much like his traditional depiction, and I feel a strong thought of Orion, King of Athel Loren. Certainly on topic for all this. And here, in his place of power, his home ground? I suspect he's very strong.

Because one of the things he represents in archetypical theories is raw, rampant masculinity. :p

Kind of stretching the limits of hospitality, there. Depending on how the host sees it.

No doubt it's pure, spring-fed water, which would be invaluable to early man.

Yeah, best to let the experts handle this, OL.

Heh. So he has knowledge of the affairs of the Elvish courts, eh. And a puckish desire to needle people about them.

Ah. The walk of a person worried about incriminating himself in something that might result in legal trouble, I bet.

...Unless they're blatantly too dangerous not to pass on.

Ah. I bet the 'something different' was that they were Anti-Lifed, Sheeda, or both.

And some things come with a nasty aftertaste, so to speak. The kind that stains a soul.

A case of Blue and Orange morality, if ever I heard one. :p

His nerves making him a bit reticent, eh? Fellow's going to have to be a little more forthcoming.

So they could easily have been something else, disguising their mystical aspects. I doubt Cluracan would have been too curious. Bad manners around trading partners, after all.

You'll ask him to step outside? I think Lord Cernunnos has first dibs in his hall, eh?

I rather suspect he barely remembers what century it is, sometimes.

Since that sort of thing sounds like trouble for everybody, especially given what they were trading.

Pfft. Too coincidental. Cluracan's a twit, fishing for something to confirm.

See, OL's Sense Motive is more than high enough to beat his Bluff.

After all, it can't be both names. Can it? Hard to know with these mystical castle places...

Hopefully that's a bit clearer in his memory.

Oh, yes... Downing something offered to you by possibly evil mages. Very sensible.

Flies definitely ups the likelihood of Sheeda involvement.

Yeah, Kon is something of a big stick in the arcane field. Which means OL just needs to speak softly.

You hope, M'gaan. It'll be tricky, especially if it is Sheeda stealth troops.

Interesting. It seems he's taken a shine to OL...

So, then. Hopefully they won't regret splitting the party, but on something this time-critical, it's a cruel necessity. I'll be curious to see who's in charge of things on the foe's side. Cursitor Doom, somehow resisting the Anti-Life and working for Mannheim, perhaps? Or a Sheeda general who managed to slip the net? Or someone we have no reason to expect, perhaps. We'll see soon enough, I bet.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who realized this.

RoasterToaster and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Until he stood up. Hubba Hubba.

moralrelativity, LaVa and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’of it’

By the ‘deep arcane side’ is it just meant that they’ll go to the place that Cluracan was attacked? I didn’t get the impression that it was a particularly spectacular area, just a part of Otherworld. Obviously worth investigating but it doesn’t sound like ‘deep arcane’. What am I missing?

14. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Giant flies probably does mean Sheeda. But the earlier confusion regarding "Baal something" makes me think of another option - Ba'al-zebub, more commonly written as Beelzebub, lord of flies. The Ba'al/Ba'al-zebul/Beelzebub interrelation is somewhat complicated in real world theology, and I have zero idea how DC/Hellblazer treats it... but I hear "attacked by flies" in close proximity to "Baal something," and Beelzebub is the first thing that I'm going to think of.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, the deep arcane is the other end of the transaction the elves were enabling. Less corporeal, more primal.

16. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Is he even available? Or powerful enough right now?

He was part of the Triumvirate that ruled Hell when Lucifer was still around (as per Hellblazer) but that's some time ago and Hell has gone through 2 or 3 government changes since then. On top of that, Demon Lords aren't in the habit of leaving deposed rivals or previous rulers unaccounted for, free or powerful enough to present future problems (as seen by Satanus and Mammon).

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  17. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Yeah I have no idea. I read some Hellblazer, ages ago. but not enough to guess. That's why I said "I have zero idea how DC/Hellblazer treats it." It starts to get really weird when you have different versions of the same being from different pantheons. I think With This Ring treated the Greek and Roman gods as separate (didn't Hephaestus and Vulcan collaborate at one point?). We've seen the Hellenic Astarte, but is she the same being that was the Philistine goddess, or the Canaanite one, in DC Comics (or in this story)? Following that, the demon lord Beelzebub from Hellblazer may be out of commission, but is the Philistine Ba'al-zebul?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    KomandorCliff, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Frank Iannetta

Frank Iannetta Getting out there.

Is mini-Mercury still hiding in OLs shadow? I would think Cernunnos would notice her there.

Prince Charon likes this.
  19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually one word.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  20. Threadmarks: War Mastered (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

3rd Sigmarzeit 2512
    Afternoon

"Hng."

Master Architect Buri dislikes it when I present him with a plan out of thin air. And I've learned not to refer to it as a 'rough draft' or request 'his first impressions'. He hasn't written anything in his Notebook of Grudges that I couldn't immediately make amends for, but I don't like antagonising allies and I suspect that it's been a close run thing a few times.

"As you can see, it's close to the design for the improvements to my manor, with added rooms for her staff."

And don’t ask him to 'suggest a site'. There are right sites and wrong sites, and he can tell me which is which and if I ignore him then it's Going In The Book.

"Are you magicing it up, or are you going to building it properly?"

He's not actually glowering at me, it's just that dwarfs have naturally glowery faces.

Now that's a tricky one. Dwarfs don't actually mind their allies using magic, even if they have no truck with it themselves. But Buri of Clan Ullek is here to do things the proper dwarf way, and that means not creating things with magic or Old One technology.

But. Using it as a tool is fine, so long as all of the pieces are properly constructed and put together. And since the Controllers are my liege-lords, flat out rejecting their tools is forbidden as well. So I can build it using the ring, or I can hire the dwarfs to build it, but if I'm going to create it from nothing then I shouldn't have involved him in that undwarfish nonsense.

I only need to be told once.

"I was intending to retain your services to build it while I transport the materials here according to your specifications."

Which is fine, as long as they're exactly to specification. I'm not supposed to create them through energy to matter conversion, but he hasn't asked and as far as I know there's no way for him to check. So peace is maintained another day, and if I provide substandard materials then that's my problem.

Contractually.

"Hm. After our current slate, or do you want me to move things around?"

"I regret the inconvenience, but the lodgings of the ambassador takes precedence over anything that can be paused without setting it back."

"So nothing, then."

And it took a while, but I've got to the point where I can tell the difference between a nothing-nothing, and a technically-nothing-but-we-can-move-a-few-projects-without-ruining-things-why-can't-you-be-better-organised-human, and that was the second.

"Thank you, Master Architect, I shall leave the issue and any improvements you feel necessary in your capable hands."

"Mm."

He's no longer looking at me, but he's got his drafting tools out and a sheet of parchment to draw a copy on. There'll be changes as needed based on where he intends to site it, but I've been paying attention and the ring's AI has been paying better attention; my draft is faultless for what it is.

Dwarfs are all for formal greetings, but leave-taking is much more informal. I've given him the job, he's accepted it, I can get lost now. So I leave his workshop and hope that Aranei hasn't done anything regrettable. Because when I edited her mind to remove her thoughtless malevolence I didn't try to make her incapable of violence. This is a violent world and people need to be able to defend themselves. Which means that she's still capable of deciding to kill someone on an individual basis.

But all there is outside is a slightly relieved-looking Lady Richilde, who favours me with a strained smile. "Have you agreed a contract?"

"It's covered by our existing contract, but you're being prioritised. Going by past experience, he'll have a list of materials by the end of the day, I'll pick things up and he'll get started tomorrow."

"And will you return me to Altdorf until the work is complete?"

"Ah. I can. But I assumed that you'd want to spend at least a day or so. I was planning to put you up in my manor."

"Your manor?"

I shrug. "I know it's not a palace, but it's perfectly habitable."

"Does your sorceress also reside there?"

"Yes. What did she… Say?"

"Nothing at all. I have had dealings with elves before, and there is a look they have when they decide that anything human is beneath them. She had the look of one who was insulted by my presence."

I smile, relieved. "Oh good. I was worried she was angry."

"You do not think that she is angry."

"There's a difference between being angry and being insulted. She was insulted when one of the beastwoman got her a cup of water but she wasn't angry about it."

"I misspoke. She is angry that I am here."

"Yeah, I… Thought so."

She looks at me expectantly. I look blank.

"Sir Paolo, why is a woman I have never met angry that I exist?"

"Okay, so, when I first got here, a ship of Dark Elf reavers were attacking the village. I stopped them, and offered them a choice between death and having me alter their minds to cure them of their evil. She chose the second, but I didn't fully understand some of the behavioural changes that would occur. To put it simply, she treats me as her patron, someone who she has to please in order to maintain her lifestyle."

Realisation dawns. "So she is your mistress."

"Well, where I'm from, she would only be my mistress if I was married to someone else. And while she's working under the assumption that I'm.. her social superior, so I'm going to eventually tire of her and move onto someone else, because that's how things work for Dark Elves."

"Do you intend to stay with her, then?"

"Oh, God no. I was clear about that from the start, but it's not about trading up for social reasons. It's because she's still a dreadful person held in check by the compulsions I gave her." I exhale. "But that's not how she sees it, and I suspect that she might have interpreted your presence here as an attempt by your uncle to…" Ah. How do I put-?

"To whore me out to win your alliance?"

"I was.. going to put it as 'form a marriage alliance'. I don't really know how things like that work, but… A knight who earns glory on the field of battle could reasonably expect a beneficial marriage as a reward. I have permanently killed a Greater Daemon, and a horde of lesser daemons and beastmen and orcs. And I have no family. I could see how she could reach such a conclusion."

"That is true. But I assure you that my uncle cannot arrange my marriage without the consent of my parents, and none of them have mentioned any such plan to me."

"But is that how it works?"

She considers for a moment. "Are you familiar with the writings of Prince Aleksandr Kloszowski?"

I briefly considered him as a potential successor, but after I checked it turned out that the man was far too self-absorbed for that to be a good idea. Maybe if I could train him with a second ring?

"Somewhat. He's a revolutionary Leveller, isn't he?"

"He writes about the failings of the Empire's rulers and the suffering of the poor. I don't believe that he has any actual idea as to what could be done to improve things. But one thing that rings true is that there is little room in our society for someone to advance themselves. A man born a farmer's son will become a farmer."

"Common men who join the army and perform superlatively can get knighted. In Bretonnia, if-."

She shakes her head. "How many ploughmen who complete their deed of errantry become dukes?"

"A duke will always have relatives to inherit his seat. It would never come up. Not unless there had been a huge slaughter."

"The great and the good of the Empire would tolerate a common soldier being knighted. And perhaps married to a third daughter of a minor baron. That is all. Anything else is a tale of the ballads. Tragic ballads, for the most part. While there is sense in what you say, the idea that someone who is not bound to them by blood could achieve enough to possibly justify so high a marriage is not something they would see as an opportunity."

"A threat. I could just upend the whole system."

"My uncle did ask me to learn your character. I would not be surprised if he implied to concerned notables that he was considering offering you my hand, but it is not…

She considers how to put it. I smile.

"It's not a serious offer, it's an idiot management technique."

"Just so. Regardless of your merit, that is all that it is."

Ring, monitor her response. "That's probably for the best." I gesture towards the pavement, and we begin our walk towards my manor. "I doubt that my betrothed would be best pleased, otherwise."

Ah.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'not'.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"make amends"

"dealings"

I mean, some would say that there's not much of a difference.

24. Tzeentch

Almost like dealing with the Soup Nazi, sorta.

Should Paolo be invited to visit Phoenix King's court along with other foreign dignitaries and ambassadors in the future, I reckon that he'd worried about making a good impression in front of a pack of judgy, pompous elves, and with the assistance with the Ring, he'd be able to perfectly pull off proper High Elf etiquette.... only to be informed by an bemused and admittedly impressed Finubar that as he's human, he isn't expected to perform ALL the complicated salutations, phrases and mannerisms that even many Asur nobles have trouble with when addressing other Elven Royalty/Nobility, though the thought certainly counts.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

"Calling it a Notebook of Grudges? That's going in the Book." But seriously, it is a challenge dealing fairly with Dwarves. They take very minor details very seriously. I remember a Siege battle report in one White Dwarf issue where they attacked a human castle over a missed payment of less than one hundred gold crowns. :p

Indeed. It's just Not Done to dismiss a master builder's advice so casually, after all.

It's the bushy brows that sit low. Perfect for those Kubrick Stares. :D Alongside the fact that your eyeline is that much higher. So they don't even have to look down.

And if it isn't done the Dwarvish way, then it isn't done right, no matter how fine it looks.

In other words, go off somewhere, fabricate the planks and stones needed, and deliver them on-site. He doesn't see it, he doesn't have to write it in the Book.

Something he no doubt insisted on when he realised you could provide perfectly pure metals and the finest wood.

I suspect the fellow would rather finish what's been started, but if it's a rush job...

Ah, so it's not going in the Book this time.

Better than a 'Right, it's on the table, bugger off and let us get it done.'

Though I expect she's been given a lesson or two in justified responses? Including the presence of magical energies or drawn weapons...

And probably finish by the end of the day. Seriously, the Amish can raise a barn in a day, would a Dwarvish crew be any slower?

Oh, my, Paol. Asking her to spend the night? How forward. :p

That's not what she's objecting to, Paol... :rolleyes:

I see. A little bit embarrassed by the scandalous offer, a little bit afraid of being stabbed to death in the night? :D

I suppose that's her normal mood, then.

Hopefully you explained matters before there was bloodshed?

After all, Aranai was his first... Companion? There's always a bit o concern that he might not like her any more when another one turns up.

Ah, good, she's leaning quickly that he does need to be asked directly about these things.

...I mean... I doubt she's shared his bed. ...That often. ;)

God, I hope not. She seems a bit too yandere for any Paul's tastes.

Well, you said it, not him.

Since your consent would be needed? I suppose you can afford to be a little picky at your rank, then.

So, he espouses an early version of Marxism? Or a similar sort of 'by the people for the people' political scheme?

Ah. I see he is. Though no doubt he would have expectations of being the man on top, because ego.

It would take something spectacular, though. In most cases, the Lord might pawn them off with a bit of farmland or a particularly fine cow or two...

...Which isn't unprecedented. Just about any Chaos Invasion or Great Waaagh would result in quite a few empty titles.

On the other hand, that would probably piss off a whole lot of people in the Empire. You'd face uprising after uprising as men 'of noble birthright' took action to 'uphold the fine traditions of their lineage'. :rolleyes:

It's pretty unlikely, yes.

Pacifying all those 'gentlemen' who might object to some upstart peasant who found a magic ring showing them up, eh?

That would be Queen Khalida, of course.

Ah, the political chicanery of the highest ranks of nobility and rulership. A twisted game that no doubt pleases Tzeentch to no end. Deals within deals and all manner of tricks and traps. All of which are things Paol can easily steam-roll over with just a few actions. Which probably raises all manner of hackles amongst the Elector Counts and their subordinates... And so satisfying when a single word can sink all their plans. :sneaky:

26. Tzeentch

Considering Paol's fair dealing with the dwarves, on top of wiping out enough grudges to reduce the hundreds of volumes of The Book of Grudges down a considerable amount, I could see the lot of them being VERY cross with whoever tries to screw Paol over.

Dwarves ALWAYS pay their debts.

mastermenthe, BBJimmy, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  27. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Unexpected. Most warhammer fics and similar that I see on forums have a more positive interpretation of the Dwarfs. And given what this story has done with the Beastmen and Tomb Kings I was expecting positive by default. Seeing someone who just barely tolerates Paul, and then only if he works for it, is strange.

Relyt33, RoasterToaster and Cuchulin like this.
  28. PepeTheFrog

PepeTheFrog Not too sore, are you?

Which Greater Daemon did Sir Paolo kill?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  29. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’held in check’
    ’But that’s not’

I like Prince Aleksandr. It’s interesting to see a populist revolutionary who is capitalist rather than socialist, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    And they'd be wrong. Whoresons don't inherit.
    That would be illegal. The only place on Ulthuan humans are allowed is Lothern, and then only on sufference. And that city has human technically not slaves.
    That's a barn. This is a house with plumbing and internal walls built during the early modern period.
    There's an issue of Hellbrandt Grimm featuring a man who did just that. He got knighted for an act of bravery, went back to his home village and worked to turn it into a prosperous town and was generally regarded as a great guy by all who knew him.

Shame about his son.

You thought she was referring to them?
    Thank you, corrected.
    This is the best working relationship Buri has ever had with any human.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Socialism doesn't exist in the setting. Leveller movements do sometimes crop up.