1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Finally, a reference that I get!

2. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

What, no ceremony, wedding guests or party? Teclis will be disappointed if he's not getting an invite to what's sure to be the most fascinating macabre spectacle of the season, the marriage of convenience between "The Ring Bearer" and a Queen of Nehekhara.

And Ptra only knows what the other Tomb Kings will think of this arrangement, particularly Settra..... and what they'll do if THEY aren't invited.

Ardy and RamiroGalletti like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, 'ceremonial' in this situation means 'only exists in the technical sense', not 'it was a registry office do'.

4. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Not "just" ceremonial.
    The "just" is implied, meaning there was a ceremony, but she didn't expect that it goes further than that.

Vorian likes this.
  5. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I thought you were going to say 'magic bag of endless oranges.'

This is way funnier.
    It's such a petty magic.

Vorian and Ardy like this.
  6. Tzeentch

Ah, my mistake.

Fingers crossed we will get to see a Nehekharan Royal Wedding ceremony and the reception afterwards though.
    Huh, so when did Paol become acquainted with the other Tomb Kings, given how antisocial they can be towards living non-Nehekharans? Did Settra's desire for physical sensation outweigh his indignity over Paol's unintentional snub by going to Queen Khalida first with his services, rather than the "King of Kings?"

Ardy likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

He is well under Settra's radar.

Tomb Kings refers both to the kings themselves and the faction. The only 'king' in Lybaras in Queen Khalida, but there are quite a few princes, princesses and priests.

8. Tzeentch

Thanks for clearing that up!

In regards to "The Tasters", exactly how did Khalida's court manage to acquire so many, (hopefully), willing and living individuals to perform so novel a service for the undead nobility of Lybaras, being their "sensory providers?"

I get the feeling they'd be akin to pampered pets that their "owners" would constantly fuss over at best, to servants who have to fight other servants on behalf of their masters, as those who command them can only suffer any actual pain through them.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Money.

The Desert Dogs were sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop, but 'we'll pay you to eat food' wasn't a problem.
    It might get to that point, but there are almost no living people in Nehekhara so serve in that capacity.

10. Tzeentch

Desert Dogs? As in Al Muktar's Desert Dogs? Considering their fame as mercenaries and bandits, as well as how much of an adrenaline junkie/glory-hound their leader is, being sensory providers to undead nobility sounds like somewhat of a step-down for that band of warriors.... then again, only the bravest of souls could have the mental fortitude to consume the blandest food known to man while a member of high-ranked living dead sits beside each warrior and watches them eat, shuddering in joy, making sounds of rapture, giving orders as to HOW the mercenaries should eat and drink the meal before them.
    The initial comical misunderstandings of the living, to Nehekhara seeking living citizens to inhabit their lands are going to be EPIC aren't they?

"Why are you running away?! We just want you for eating! Yes! For eating! We'll pay handsomely for it!"

11. Mr Zoat

Probably wouldn't work. Nagash's spell killed everything, from the human population through the plants to the soil microbes. Nothing lives there and nothing can live because the prerequisites of life aren't there. Except water, which is unusually clean due to the lack of algae and humans.

12. Tzeentch

Goodness, Paol has his work cut out for him, even with a power ring to help lighten the load, doesn't he? I imagine that he could definitely lay the foundations for recovery though, at least enough of them for Jade Wizards and Archmages, (Anurion The Green being one example if he's still alive) to work with.....

But how is the water in Nehekhara clean? Didn't Nagash pollute the River Vitae with Warpstone and sorcery? Or did he somehow miss any pockets of groundwater scattered across the land?

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Is the uppercase J intentional?

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  14. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He's British, ensuring their food came from the correct colony market is important to them

15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Yeah but at least Hades is from the same pantheon.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Threadmarks: Wait Time (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

17th February 2013
    14:50 GMT

"I do indeed come from the most perfect city of dreams, sir." The merchant smiles in a punter-friendly manner, though it's not completely disingenuous. Dream-Baghdad's people do genuinely love their city and respect their Caliph. "Have you visited before?"

"Yes. Once the present difficulty in the material world is dealt with, I will be returning to the court of the most wise Caliph as he directed, to tell him of my journey through a dream storm."

"Through a storm? That is a thing that all men know is impossible."

"It was certainly difficult. Would it be possible for you to relay a message to the palace for me? I wish to apologise for the delay, but as I said, the matters of the material world have required a great deal of my attention."

"I would like to boast of my close friendship with the greatest of kings, but the truth is that I am a simple merchant. I have no way of gaining entrance to the palace. The guards would simply turn me away."

I pull a small quantity of sand up from the ground and melt it into glass, including a structural irregularity in the shape of an orange sigil in the centre.

"Please, show that to the guards. If they don't let you in, you can keep it as a memento."

His smile fades a little as I threaten to draw him into a situation far above his preferred risk threshold. But after a moment he starts to picture the potential advantages.

"And you want nothing else?"

"I want many things. Everything, really. But today I only seek two things: a message sent to the Caliph and news of an abducted elf."

"Ah. Well. I am sorry sir, but I have never had cause to have dealings with an elf."

"In order to skip a potential waste of time, I am obviously happy to pay for accurate information. There is no need to talk around the subject."

"And I would be happy to take your money sir, but few elves make the journey here and none at all come to my stall."

"Would you be interested in establishing a trading relationship with them?

"No, but if you have a contact then I have a contact."

I nod as best my serpentine head can manage. "I will seek you out in Dream Baghdad once my business here is concluded."

"I will see you there. Good day to you, sir."

I turn away, leaving the glass cube in his care. The market here is nothing like as large or chaotic as the one in Baghdad, and my avarice sense quickly demonstrates why. This place serves as more of a through-road than a place for casual purchases. With no real resident population people trade with their contacts in private sales. If you want something then you arrange a purchase in advance. The stalls are mostly displaying examples of wares, acting as a lure for people who want something else. There are things here that I'm sure even the better educated Atlantean magicians would like to be able to purchase, so I'll be sure to put Queen Mera in contact once this is over.

"...anything older."

Kon is conversing with someone who looks like a relatively normal man aside from the hole in his chest over where his heart should be.

"'Older'? My friend, Martian materials are uncommon enough here, and you want something older than this?"

He holds up… It looks a little like M'gann's kuru pendant, though the design is more simple.

"You won't find that anywhere. Search all of the realms you want."

"I will! Thank you."

Kon steps away from the stall and heads towards me. He shrugs as we make eye contact. "I was hoping I could get something from before the Guardians did… Y'know."

"Honestly, I'm not sure that would be a good idea. While I don’t approve of everything the Guardians did, excising those memories allowed Martian civilisation to exist."

"Right, but…" We turn and walk up the main boulevard towards Bast's… Temple? Palace? Cernunnos felt that giving her a little warning might be for the best. "There could be all kinds of things about what martians can do that they don't know anymore." He raises his left eyebrow. "And since when do you want to lose information? Or give up a way to make M'gann more powerful?"

"Since there's no real way to test whether or not experiencing a Burning Martian's dream will turn a modern martian into one."

He frowns thoughtfully, then shakes his head. "I don't see how that could happen. The only minds they had to communicate with back then were other Burning Martians. Modern martians know what it's like to not be monsters."

"I suspect that you're right but I don't know that you're right. And without a way to test it…"

"If that did happen, could we undo it? I mean, the Guardians did it in the first place."

"There aren't enough Guardians left for them to be willing to send someone to oversee an experiment like that. As for a Lantern… Maybe? I wouldn't want to take the chance on one of the local ones, myself included."

He nods, clearly dissatisfied, as we reach the end of the thoroughfare and begin walking up the steps to the entryway. The walls around us are covered with Kahndaqi hieroglyphic depictions of both Bast and mortal cats-. No, wait. That one is Sekhmet. I load a copy of everything I see onto my ring's database. I'm sure that if I knew more about their theology that the story on display here -accurate or otherwise- would be quite informative, but given the huge span of time Bast was worshipped for I don't know which particular form of the mythology it is referring to.

"Do we really need to talk to Bast about our mission? I don’t think she can really help us."

"This is her realm, and we know they came here. Even if she can't help with our main objective, there's a good chance she can give us useful information."

"Anything we couldn't get by asking around the market?"

"Maybe. It will be quicker and more honest, though."

"If she decides to help."

"I'm fairly-."

A blur lands in front of me, grabs me with ferocity and bloodlust and leaps back up, pulling me along with-. It? No, her, that's-.

Sekhmet tosses me so that I roll across the brick platform at the front of the palace proper, coming to a halt about half way across as she glares at me, teeth bared.

"Do you think I am a whore, Lantern?"

Unlike the housecat-looking Bast, Sekhmet definitely has a more lion look. Those are big teeth she's showing me.

I opt to stay down.

"No, oh goddess. I have never thought of you as such a thing."

"And yet you saw fit to offer me to the Olympians."

"They are the gods I worship. You may consider the fact that I want you included among their number as a sign of my admiration. I didn't consider Zeus worthy."

She growls, but given that her teeth mostly disappear afterwards I think it was a 'marking territory' growl rather than an 'I'm about to tear your throat out' growl.

"And you were not just trying to make a cat joke?"

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That was even better that I'd hoped it would go. I can't wait to see how Paul is going to get out of this one.

19. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Missing quotation marks, or is that signifying special speech?

20. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I'm sure Athena would like that pussy.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That could still be a ways off, given the present matters to be dealt with. I have to wonder how much the Caliph is aware of matters in reality, since dreams coming into the city now would be dark and dismal... Assuming they haven't quarantined such visitors.

...It's surprisingly hard to tell whether OL is even speaking sometimes. I wonder if there's a faint whisper of his narration audible to those around him like this. :D

That assumes the caliph has made it known that people bearing that sigil are to be considered honoured visitors.

Eyes on what benefits him, eh? No wonder OL's talking to this fellow. That's a somewhat Avaricious way of thinking, after all.

Now, one of those things, he can help you with. The other...

Though if your information turns out to be inaccurate, well... That can be paid for as well. By you.

I'm sure there are many fine things he could deal in with them.

And I half-picture him sweating up a storm as OL slithers away... It's hard to tell if that was an offer or a threat, after all. :p

So, to some degree, it's a tourist trap.

Sounds a bit hollow. ;) Let's hope his dealings aren't too cutting.

Ah, he's shopping for a vacation gift for his girlfriend. How sweet.

Aw, offer refused. I guess Kon isn't very good at haggling yet.

And OL should remember how well the most famous attempt to crack the psychic blocks, as seen in the comics.

And in case you need to be told, Kon: That would be bad. Cataclysmically bad.

Worst case, it becomes a contagious cognitohazard. Imagine all of Mars catching fire, literally.

Especially since they would likely be aligned to Avarice, being creatures of primal desire. To hurt, to kill, to terrify, to mate and birth more...

Heck, it might excite some archaeologists once this is all over and life is getting back to normal. So many myths and historical knowledge has been lost, something so close to the original as this would be heavenly.

And it's worth finding out if she even knew they came through here. It might offend her mortally if they didn't pay their dues to her.

And it's only polite to meet your host when travelling through their territory.

I mean... Cats can be friendly or unpleasant. I suppose it depends on her mood.

...Mood not good, then. Anyone got some wine seasoned with blood handy?

Ah... Not happy about the Athena thing, then?

Yes, very good idea. Stay limp, play dead and talk very nicely and very quickly.

And a little bit of cross-pantheon cooperation is always a good thing, after all.

...Don't answer that, OL, or the teeth may come back out.

Boy, talk about consequences. One idle half-joking suggestion years ago nearly gets you eaten. That would have been an anti-climactic ending to his adventure. ...Kind of reminds me of early Sierra adventures, really. Still, let's hope she doesn't hold any perceived insult against OL now. There's an elf maiden to be rescued and a portal to be opened! ...And now this sounds even more like a D&D quest. :confused:

...but I have never had cause to have dealings with an elf."

...the hole in his chest over where his heart should be.

...as we reach the end of the thoroughfare ...

22. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Was he trying to make a cat joke? I can’t find an obvious one in either of the relevant chapters.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  23. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

I get Sekmet is a god but Paul is the avatar of a Universal embodiment who is partly manifesting being backed up by a Kryptonian who's the Avatar of a Titan.
    She should be weary of picking a fight here.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He doesn't have access to the Ophidian's full power, and gods have tried humbling Paul before, so it's not surprising that Bast would want to punish Paul for a perceived slight.

25. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Sure. But the portion he does have plus the Kryptonian channeling Straight Titan power should make her a bit weary.

kerleth, Cuchulin, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  26. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Well, I guess Adom wasn't aware of how insulted Sekhmet felt by the Illustres' comment.

On the Olympian side, I'm hoping Athena and Heph reconnect and get together. Their son is out of Erebos after all, probably on his way to apotheosis as well, there is probably a new god of war that will get established, a wiser one than Ares; so Athena may expand on new responsabilities and who is better to support Heph among the Olympians?

Cuchulin, Ardy, BBJimmy and 2 others like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    She isn't one of his patrons, so he only heard about her response indirectly.

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They're also in her place of power, which should give her the homefield advantage.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because LePaul's not an avatar.

At most he's a favored acquisition, and well, that's getting less the more Orange Lanterns there get to be.

Also given how often the Entities are stuck in lanterns, you're likely over estimating their metaphysical weight a good bit.

30. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Nah, I doubt that would tire her out. She's probably fairly well rested, besides.

m_d and Cuchulin like this.