1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Just make sure the returned favor is something you'd be okay with.

A Wonder Woman/MCU story I once read had Diana describe to Tony why faeries are dangerous by telling him a story of a woman who rescued a wounded fairy and the only thing she wanted was to be close to the man she loved.

The fairy merged them into one being.

2. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

That's only about half the average speed of the story - probably more than that if we consider only the times that time is progressing on-screen. We reached Zoat's ten-year mark not long ago and it was two and a half years of OL's life.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  3. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

The most Paul mentioned about customizing babies was if they wanted their daughter to have a specific hair color or eye color. No one wanted to listen to his biology explanation so he just let that be random.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  4. PDV

What were the names of the episodes where Paul dealt with the fragment of the Anti-Monitor's armor, and his first visit to the Titans? I want to reread some of the bits where his ring got signals it didn't know how to handle and don't want to do a full archive binge.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The former is Episode 83: Ways and Means while the latter is Episode 96: Repetition.

Duke Long, Mr Zoat, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  6. PDV

Ways and Means is right, but I didn't mean Teen Titans, I meant the planet where there's a whole bunch of new Old Gods going by the names of the Greek Titans.

7. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

In that case, you want Episode 116: Sungate, part 1.

Mr Zoat, Ardy, PDV and 2 others like this.
  8. Threadmarks: Do Or Die Time (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

17th February 2013
    19:30 GMT

A smoother transition than I got going to Columbia. I step forwards, and my surroundings blur. Another step, and they shift further and further towards a new-. My destination. I don’t know how much I'm in one place or the other or somewhere else, but from the looks of things there's some sort of fight-.

"Lantern, watch-"

A sheeda warrior swings a spear at my head and I-. Subspace is back! Parry with an x-ionised sword. The spear is sliced through, runes on the spear shimmering as it sprays some sort of sludge on my construct armour and sword. Ah, high strength magic acid, no problem there.

"-out!"

I turn up my empathic vision as I start moving forwards, more to get out of my teammates' way than because I've got a destination in mind. Robin called out, and-

A flashbang goes off somewhere to my left.

-Sheeda soldiers are rather fond of invisibility there.

Construct chains wrap around the former spearman and drain-. Nothing? I settle for tearing the helmet off his head and stunning him.

Robert appears from the fairy ring behind me.

"Sheeda!"

"Right!" He shoots up into the air, which is a pretty sensible move-.

A large sheeda beetle with an energy cannon on its back smashes through a hedgerow, the beam striking my construct shield and… Doing some damage, but not doing it fast enough to kill me before my crumbler railgun round hit the beetle's howdah and the gun just falls off. The crew leap off after it, but those things explode pretty violently when their capacitors or their battery get hit and I'd like to avoid that. Since it doesn't seem to have a barrier I opt for shooting the barrel and… Yes, the gun's wrecked.

The sheeda I'm holding, his chest appears to be intact. I can feel his pulse in his neck.

"Sheeda of Summer's End! Drop your weapons and be spared! I am not in the moo-!"

The beetle rider grabs the gun operator and draws his knife-.

"Mood!"

Construct grab both of them, disarm them and stun them both. The beetle looks at me for a moment, then scurries away from me. I load a solid round into my railgun and shoot it in the head, turning its brain to mush and killing it.

Then I take a closer look at the sheeda. They're wearing… Modern human clothes. Not something I'd expect to see in a prison, but not their invasion gear. With empathic vision I can see a few more, but they mostly look recumbent-.

KA-KOOMPF!

All look recumbent as Robert's lightning bolt electrocutes the last couple. M'gann comes through the ring a moment later, looks around and then winces.

"Miss Martian." She looks around and I toss her a healing ray. "Two over there. Electrical burns."

"Right." She nods and then flies over to them.

Robin emerges from the underbrush, looking around cautiously. "Did we get all of them?"

"All of them close by. You alright?"

"Eh, a few bruises."

I nod. "Why are there sheeda here?"

"Don't know. The castle's records showed they were sending them out to a bunch of places to try opening portals, but you said that all the standing stones got sabotaged and the locations weren't anywhere near the Atlantean portals."

"The elves have their own system."

He nods at once. "And sheeda have enough elf blood in them to make it work."

"Apparently." I pull my prisoners closer and examine them, looking for any trace of the Anti-Life. Looks like… General exposure, but nothing everyone on Earth doesn't have. "Not seeing enough Anti-Life to control them."

"Have you read their interrogation reports?"

"No, not these ones. I read a few of the American interrogations, but there didn't seem to be anything useful. Why?"

"I took a look through. They think we destroyed their civilisation."

I nod. "Effectively, we did. If we try really hard and prevent them from ever coming into existence we might destroy it twice."

Or at least prevent it from coming into being here while it continues to exist in a separate timeline.

"Most of them said that since they didn't have anything to live for, they'd do anything they could to hurt us."

Hm. "Could just be big talk, might indicate willing participation."

"But then what? Does Mannheim plan on invading… What's the name of the place where the elves come from?"

"The Fair Lands is the name I've heard for it. And quite possibly. We just visited the Aztec afterlife. It doesn't exist any more. Mannheim… Absorbed it after cutting out the hearts of their gods."

Richard nods slowly. "Afterlives weren't being affected. But he can just go around and spread it to all of them."

"Probably not the Silver City. But yes. So we're accelerating my schedule."

"Are we following up on this at all?"

Kon and Mitchell appear, dragging two recumbent sheeda each. Robert drops down from the air and M'gann flies over with the rest of the sheeda in tow. Hm. Are we attacking Washington right away? No. I need to talk to Batman and get him a little used to using a yellow ring. That's at least a couple of hours. Then there's the issue of actually getting the rest together.

"Did you get a full list of portal sites?"

He shrugs. "We got all the ones in the castle. They're spread out across Europe. We'd have to check other prisons to see if other places are doing the same."

"Send a message to Mister Atom. See if the Justice League can spare any resources to cover the ones you can't reach. I need to speak to Batman about our final attack as soon as possible."

"What do you actually think he's doing?"

"I thought that he was making war on the gods, but if he's activating elf gates… Maybe he's building some sort of magic construct to attack the material world from the thaumosphere? I don't know. I could probably guess better if we saw him activate a gate, but I… Think we should probably try and stop all of them anyway."

He turns to M'gann. "Miss Martian, can you call the bioship?"

She nods. "Already done."

"I'll drop you off at the closest location before going to talk to Batman. Where is it?"

Richard smirks. "Where else? Glastonbury."

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'than'.

Is there anything important about that location?

Cuchulin, Ardy, Relyt33 and 6 others like this.
  10. Coltsguy

Coltsguy Colts fan. Anime fan. Breast and back fan.

I had no idea the bioship was also a shop.

11. PDV

Think this is a typo.
    bioship

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And as expected, they're getting quite the warm welcome. Warm as in open combat. No doubt some manner of guard contingent, since if Mannheim's forces have been attacking interdimensional portals, then of course fairy rings would be monitored.

Ah, I bet that is a hell of a relief for OL. No more having to rely on off-the-cuff constructs when he can dump railgun ammo on his customers.

That'll be Robin, then. Flashbangs are no great inconvenience to OL, after all.

No magical gear? Surprising.

Hopefully with solid protections, since flying makes him an easier target.

And there goes their heavy fire support. I suspect the Sheeda's morale is about to take a nosedive.

At least giving the opportunity to surrender. Polite of him. Guess he's happy to be back on Earth.

Of course, if they're going to be foolish about it, well...

Interesting. Gone native out of necessity? I hope they feel uncomfortable in modern fabrics.

Sorry, dear, no time to leave some for you. Don't mind the pain, they earned it.

Don't want them to die, after all. Certainly, live enemies can at least be questioned.

The worry is that there's more on the way. Depending on whether they could get communications out.

Not going to ask what he's gotten up to, or do you figure that'll be included? :p

And Robin facepalms because of course that's a thing.

Which says worrying things. What did Mannheim offer them?

Perhaps they opened up a little more to British politeness?

What with their Harrowing failing. Since they apparently leave it as long as they can before launching it...

Well, isn't that just dandy? No surprise they've thrown in with Mannheim then.

Good question. We've just been calling it 'Elfland' but they probably have many names for it themselves.

Quick on the uptake, isn't he? And affecting the spiritual landscape probably has some effect on the material...

I expect Hell would be a much harder challenge too. I doubt the Lords would bow to Mannheim without a long, bloody war.

Though hopefully Bats learns quick. Probably might gain a new insight into fear from it, even.

Stretching the League even thinner. Hooray.

Better to prevent it and theorise later than let him do it and struggle.

Hopefully it's close by. Otherwise it might take a while to arrive.

I'm guessing it's a major leyline nexus or something. Can't think of anything mythical about it.

Well, at least things are progressing more quickly now. And with OL getting back to full power now he has his subspace back, events will keep increasing pace. Let's hope that Batman takes to Ring Slinging like a pro. Sinestro pegged him as a prime recruit in the comics for a reason, after all. And the rest of the Lanterns he calls in won't take too long to arrive... This could be over very soon, perhaps.

13. Firewillreign

Firewillreign Know what you're doing yet?

Thank God.

Then I can reread the arc all over again, but without any gaps!

14. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

There's a performing arts festival.

Maybe Batman went to see a play.

15. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Was Columbia the name of the American spiritual realm? I thought it was called the Heartlands or something.
    ‘teammates’’?
    Missing line?

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Probably.
    Fricking microtransactions, man.
    It is.
    No, it's that place where the sheeda king went with his abducted humans. They overthrew him and built a weird magic-using puritan civilisation on the backs of zombie labourers.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The planet or plane was called Witch World, while the city or nation where the puritans live is called Columbia. Is there a name for the area where the warlocks live? Or was it just the wilderness or things like that?

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

The settlement probably has a name. I don't know what it is.

19. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Glastonbury Tor is fairly notorious, and according to some (19th century) mythology is associated with Gwyn ap Nud, Lord of the Otherworld and King of the Fairie, with the Tor itself being regarded as a gateway to Avalon.

20. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Also as I remember centuries ago some English King (one of the Henrys I think) was involved in an intendent where the monks from the Monastery dug up two coffins the contained what they said were the bones of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere claiming the found a lead tablet saying that who the bones belonged to.
    It's also considered important in various paranormal circles including the UFO enthusiasts.

Prince Charon likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't you mean "fairy notorious"

I'll see myself out.

BR549, Chojin Patriarch and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

LOL!! Nice one!
    There is nothing like a good pun and that was nothing like one.

Darko likes this.
  23. Threadmarks: Do Or Die Time (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

17th February 2013
    19:36 GMT

"…weird robots and a woman called Penny Dolmann who was controlling them." Match's eyes flicker as he sends a heat beam into the sword of a sheeda warrior taking a swing at Richard. "I dunno what else used to be there, but that's all that's there right now."

I nod as I patch up the unconscious sheeda who was volunteered for ritual sacrifice duty. "Where did you put her?"

"Their dungeon. I figure, Doctor Mist could take a look at the castle, and maybe find a way to fix her. If they can't do that for a couple of days, she could probably wake up and get one of the robots to let her out."

"Reasonable."

"You don't..? Think we should have killed her, do you?"

With the fight mostly over I turn my attention away from my environment and towards him. "While there is an obvious advantage in killing enemy assets and a disadvantage to taking prisoners, I'm… I don't think she's critical to Mannheim's work so just.. leaving her isn't a big problem. And if this works like I think it will then she'll be back to normal in a few days. Other than… Maybe.. fabricate a time-delayed lock for the dungeon I'd have done the same thing."

He nods, smiling with relief.

"The fact that I'm okay with killing people doesn't mean that I enjoy it or that I think it's the only solution."

"Oh, I-." He looks a little guilty. "I didn't.. mean…"

"I'm not unaware that I'm unusual in that regard."

"No, I-." He exhales. "I don't wanna kill anyone either. But I don't want anyone to die because I didn't kill… Someone I should have killed. Y'know?"

"I feel the same way. But there's no way to know for certain either way, and you… Sometimes you just have to best-guess it. I think you guessed right."

"What about the sheeda?"

Mmn.

I brought the sheeda from the last site with us, bound arm and leg with chains that they won't be able to break. None of them are Highborn, so their potential for trickiness is limited to what devices they've brought with them, regular sheeda being only mildly superhuman. Which means that a normal prison can probably hold them, if it's staffed. But prisons not being taken over by the Justice League aren't… Working, at the moment. Some are staffed, some aren't, some have had break-outs and some have had everyone in them kill themselves. Aside from Belle Reve and Blackgate Mannheim hasn't really targetted prisons, and with Blackgate he was just going there for Karon. So we could drop them off in a prison for a couple of days under the same terms as Ms. Dolmann, it would just be a matter of finding one. But they're a threat to the inmates and staff if the conditions deteriorate.

Best… Alternative, is for me to give their brains an orange light prod. Make them want to be a bit more pro-social. A couple of different versions of me mentioned doing something like that in… Less sophisticated civilisations, and they got a version that… Wasn't completely monstrous. I've got better control than them, so I could probably do one that would decay naturally over a few weeks…

"I'll deal with them." I turn away slightly. "Robin, are you done?!"

Richard is using his arm computer to take images of the sacrificial altar that the sheeda had set up, which goes a little way towards explaining why that sheeda nearly cut the other's throat at the last gate: trying to rush a sacrifice when they realised that they wouldn't be able to do a full ritual.

"Yeah. Mister Atom says 'thanks for the warning, but everybody's busy'."

I nod. "Understandable, without a smoking gun. Cornwall?"

"Yeah, sheeda blood could jam it open. And I don't know exactly what bit he was planning to cut, but this whole thing looks a bit Aztec-y to me."

"Do your-" The bioship descends from the night sky, slowing as it reaches the ground. M'gann flies up to its canopy and gives it a hug. "-best."

I hold up my hands, orange strands attaching them to the heads of every sheeda in our vicinity. And add an… Aura, which feeds into their existing desire systems. They want their own civilisation back? Okay, redirect those desires from the historical reality of that civilisation and onto… Ah, resource efficiency? Advanced biotechnology? Useful things that their civilisation had and that we have to a lesser extent. Make them want to add the better parts of themselves to us.

It doesn't take, exactly, but it's stuck on the outer parts of their mind. Okay, now turn up the power a little so it'll take precedence…

Not perfect, but if we haven't gotten rid of the Anti-Life by the time it wears off then we're probably not going to.

I float up into the air. "Robin, you're in charge."

"Good luck with Batman."

"Thank you."

I look up into the sky and set course for my new ship before accelerating. That little chat with Mitchell is… Making me reconsider. It's not like Batman will have just forgotten how he used to think, right? It hasn't been that long. Or-.

Power Ring. Harrolds owes me and has experience using the yellow light. With Alexander Luthor here

Ring, contact Alexander Luthor.

Compliance.

"Orange Lantern. What can I do for you?"

"I need to contact Power Ring Joseph Harrolds. Can you set that up?"

"Absolutely not. I can't risk the Anti-Life spreading to my Earth. The conversion would be almost immediate and there's almost nothing to stop it spreading."

"What if there was a way to remove the Anti-Life permanently?"

"If, Orange Lantern. I'm happy that you have a technique in mind and wish you all fortune, but unless it's certain then I'm not going to risk another world, another universe. Is it?"

"It-. No. But honestly, the people who have already gone through are a bigger risk factor."

"I cannot undo what has already happened, but I can prevent it from getting worse. To be clear, I have already created and activated devices to prevent further travel from my Earth to this one, and they work in both directions."

Before I could even think it…

"Mister Luthor? For future reference? It's fine to say things like that to me, because I might well have done it, but with just about everyone else we're working with, they wouldn't, and they'd probably be annoyed about the implication.""Me, Mister Atom and Batman."

"Thank you for your honesty. End-."

And he's gone.

"Orange Lantern to Batman."

I look down as the planet spreads out beneath me, troubles…

No. Still troubled. I can see patches where there should be lights but aren't, places where the noise of civilisation is hushed in a decidedly… Wrong way. And there's the constant pall of black over every emotion.

I… Really want to stop this.

"Batman. Go ahead."

"I need a word in person, preferably off Earth. Where's a good place for you?"

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"if we"

Warhammer Fantasy.

If he's talking about the character then it should be "Power Ring"

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Might? You absolutely would have done it.

And are just saying this now, because you're pissy that he preemptively stopped you from doing so.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    Cuchulin and RoninSword like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

'Volunteered', eh? Probably not entirely willing, but given their current state of 'fuck humanity sideways', he may well have been happy to die for their cause. Couldn't be entirely sure without closer examination, anyway, and that's rather unpleasant.

Oh, boy. It figures Match would be one of the first of the Team to consider that, given his morality was more than likely implanted rather than learned. And Luthor probably wanted his programming quite a bit more utilitarian than is ideal.

And hopefully she doesn't end up remembering the sort of things she did under control. That would not be fun.

Especially these days. Trying to be the kind of person Superman would like, after all. :p

Far too many capes seem to think it's more like a big game of cops and robbers with a little spice of danger.

The Joker Paradox. Are the deaths of his victims on the heroes, because they let the law handle him instead of enacting their own justice? But would you want them acting as judge, jury and executioner against less kill-happy foes?

Well, general opinion in-universe seems to be 'fuck the Sheeda.'

Unfortunately, it still leaves them able to take hostile action against humanity. Because they aren't going to stop hating people just because you ask nicely.... Unless more drastic measures are taken.

Ah, Warhammer Paol was part of the big event, huh? Though he's probably not the only one in a fantasy setting with evil elves.

...Yeah, I guess that's about the best you could hope for.

In other words, a wide-open gate letting Anti-Life energies pour into another plane. Just the kind of 'fuck you' I could imagine them setting up.

Heh. A girl and her flying living car. x3 Adorable.

But leaving it up to them who they try to help make said advances? Not the smartest option, but it's not permanent anyway.

And then it won't matter what they do.

Oh, he is going to need it.

Ah, finally he considers the possibility. Not optimal, but...

Now, let's see if Alexander will agree.

Not surprising, given the quality of life the average person likely suffers through.

Ah. Well, his caution is understandable, I suppose.

Wow, you just anticipated OL's next thought, didn't you? I mean, it prevents the transfer of more people anyway.

Because Atom understands the algorithmic logic of necessity, while Batman... Is Batman. He understands the necessity, even if he hates it personally.

Well, he was probably busy. You're lucky he picked up at all.

It would be beautiful, if not for the current situation. Those capable of making orbit probably do this often, I would hope, just to remind themselves of what they fight for.

Hold on to that focus, OL. This will end soon, one way or another, hopefully.

...And here we go. Bullet bitten...

So, the time comes. Will Brucey-boy be willing to dip back into his own darkness in order to save the world, or will he baulk at the idea of using something he doesn't fully comprehend. Because that's often his objection to things like super-serums and advanced technology like Power Rings. At least in the comics where the writers tend to play him as a control freak... :oops:

27. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

is this the point where Batman and Paul split

Zoat did say that they will eventually not get along, are we finally at that point

28. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘so it’ll’?
    What’s stopping him from flying out to another solar system, going antimatter, flying to -Earth, flying back out then coming back to this universe?
    Of course there’s no guarantee that Power Ring will actually want to take the risk of helping.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's not necessarily any programming from Luthor.

Any of that could have been destroyed from his deteriorating mental state, or at least from Jor El fixing him.

But when he was healed Paul noticed that his emotions were somewhat weak and his mindset was kinda sociopathic.

He's getting better, but he may have a long way to go.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Duke Long and Chojin Patriarch like this.